Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#221841 Mar 27, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
I love returning to a really good movie, after not seeing it for a time, and discovering yet new nuances and depths.
Me too

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221842 Mar 27, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
They wish.
I'm pretty sure that's been taken out of the oath.
You're pretty wrong.

Look at the plaque at 2:19

www.todaysmilitary.com/inside/view/meps-oath-... ;

My son just said that oath a few weeks ago, "So Help Me God" is still very much a part of the US Military.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221843 Mar 27, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
You people are so {SNIP}
waassup & I were not having a conversation, fucknugget.

Why'd you make it seem like we were?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221844 Mar 27, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I thought we Americans are supposed to pick on the Canadians.
Now you are telling us to stop?
Huh?
:o)
HAHA!!

My bad.

Location hidden

#221846 Mar 27, 2014
<quoted text>
Firstly, let me disabuse you of the fallacy that humans only use 10% of our brains-- that is simply not true, and has been long debunked by neural scientists.
You may have misread or that is incorrect about the ten percent of the brain. I said in unison. People used to believe man only uses 10% of his brain while the other 90% is never used. They looked at us as capacity. That is what people got wrong. What it is rather is that we only use 10% of our brain at any particular time. Some actions access some parts of our brain. Others from different parts. We have much higher than 10% brain capacity. But we don't use more than 10% at the same time

If you find anything disputing that please let me know as that has been my finding

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221847 Mar 27, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Right. You have his opinion. And he is entitled to it, of course. And no doubt the fact that his opinion aligns with yours makes it all the more compelling.
His opinion carries more weight than yours, given his position.

So far, you are losing the argument badly.

Location hidden

#221848 Mar 27, 2014
<quoted text>
Firstly, let me disabuse you of the fallacy that humans only use 10% of our brains-- that is simply not true, and has been long debunked by neural scientists.
However, many humans don't pay attention to their senses, that much is true.
And with the advent of electronic escapism, even less so than before.
One circumstantial proof of this, is looking at people who've lost one of their senses-- and how they learn to pay attention to the remaining ones as compensation.
It all boils down, I think, to the ability to focus and pay attention.
More neural studies prove that humans can **only** pay attention to a single thing at one moment in time.
The people who try to do multiple things? Actually do only one thing at a time, then switch to another, then switch again, and switch again.
With each switch, some of the focus is lost-- the more you switch? The less effective your focus becomes.
Studies have shown this to be quite true, and a single-taker is much-much better at that single task, than the multi-tasker could ever hope to be.
It's better to take tasks in sequence, finishing one, then going on to the next task and so on.
----------
As for "sixth sense"? That remains an unproven idea, and must be dismissed at present.
Coincidence and confirmation bias, coupled with selective memory, easily explains the various "sixth sense" phenomena.
As for the senses I don't if we disagree more on a semantic or fundamental level. Maybe both. Maybe neither.

Let me explain what I believe a "sixth" sense to be. I agree our senses are sharper when we are not distracted. But I also believe we have the ability but not the knowledge on how to use out senses to do much more with them then we do now.

It doesn't even necessarily have to be a "sense". Is perception or intuition a "sense"? I don't know how you would define either. But I believe there exists a disconnect between man and his perceptions due to the lack of developing the ability to use it or learning how to be more in tune with it.

Maybe that is what you would define as a sixth sense. If so then we would disagree. But I believe some people has the ability to perceive things most people never have and probably never will be able to as they don't even know its something they are lacking. That is why I mentioned even small things we take for granted like animals knowing when someone is sick or when danger is around. It's a perception that transcends just normal observation. Or I should say what we know to observe. I think out perceptions have the ability to be so much greater than they are, but we just don't know how.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221849 Mar 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
How much weight does his "all people are atheists" argument carry?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221850 Mar 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing Buck. I'll try to bravely soldier on regardless. I must admit though, it's cold and lonely knowing that no scientists share my view.

San Francisco

#221851 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How much weight does his "all people are atheists" argument carry?
How about your opinion that I'm not an atheist at all?

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#221852 Mar 27, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
here's food for thought: how many african-american justin beiber-like 'artists' are there in the market who don't get nearly any of the bad press he does???
justin is a beautiful white prince brother and racist haters just won't reckognize his greatness;-)
He is a stupid kid with a lot of money who thinks he can do as he pleases and everybody else can kiss his a**. His neighbors in Atlanta have tried to get a petition to keep him out. He races his cars, him high on drugs, up and down in the communities of Atlanta not caring if he runs over kids. He has no concern but for himself.

He earned every bit of bad press that he got.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221853 Mar 27, 2014
wilderide wrote:
How about your opinion that I'm not an atheist at all?
I don't have that opinion.

You have the opinion that all people are atheists.

Except Stalin and Hitler, of course.

Location hidden

#221854 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
By that 'logic', socks are shoes too.
You atheists are so fucking stupid, it's unreal.
Socks are shoes.
People collect asteroids.
Everyone is homosexual.
Everyone is homicidal.
The Pope is atheist.
Dinosaurs had no DNA.
Science corrects itself.
It's a fact that God doesn't exist.
You believe in sky daddy.
You masturbate to the Bible.
Religion is responsible for all wars.
Religion poisons everything.
It takes I intelligence to believe in God.
Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them.
And my personal favorite: Everyone is an atheist.
LOL

I guess if someone ever needs a cast on their foot they can just go up to FootLocker and buy one. After all, anything you wear on your feet is a shoe:)

So what are socks now I wonder? Really soft shoes?

San Francisco

#221855 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#221856 Mar 27, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Yes. Clearly you missed the links. Clearly you didn't read that link.
Here:
http://www.generationsoflight.com
http://www.thelegacyinstitute.com/purityball2...
http://goldenislespurityball.com
http://www.purityball.com
"The Christian Center is once again thrilled to host the Father-Daughter Purity Ball."
Need more, idjit?
o.O

Location hidden

#221857 Mar 27, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
How does faith lead to truth? How does faith lead anywhere if you can have faith in any idea or its opposite?
He was speaking in absolutes. Also it isn't about methodology or process. The question simply was can faith lead to truth. Of course it could

Someone has faith God exists. Somewhere down the road somehow this is proven to be true. Perhaps God appears before the world. Then something they believed to be true on faith was indeed true. And it was faith that led them to that belief

If the question was can faith prove truth I would have said no

Location hidden

#221858 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You can also buy socks, shoelaces, flip flops, watches, ties and pads in the shoe department.
I guess socks, shoelaces, flip flops, watches, ties and pads are shoes, too.
I didn't know.
LOL

I should have kept reading. So now its based on department?

I was in Meijers the other day and at the end of one of the food isles in the food department there was a sunglasses display. Probably because its near the front of the store by the registers and is a much higher traffic area. I made the mistake of thinking everything in the food department must be food and tried to eat a pair!

I also are the baggies you put your fruits and vegetables in and chewed on a shopping cart. If its in the food department, it must be food!

The only thing funnier than some of the posts to you has been the condescension that came with it considering how dumb the comment was!

All that circling the wagons gets some people dizzy and they can't think straight:)

“Move into the light.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#221859 Mar 27, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I though you meant for a moment, Diana the Roman goddess of the hunt I was flattered
But not sure I like the idea of being a Diana princess of Wales, it seems she was a very troubles woman.
And definitely not a Thatcher
I was in Soerento in Italy, A yacht anchored off shore. My hotel balcony overlooked the bay and the yacht . A young couple flirted and frolicked on deck. It was not some weeks until after my holiday that it came out that the couple were Diana and Dodi
Well then we have it! Christine of the woodland realm!:)

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221860 Mar 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>

Christine and Wilderice, of the atheist team, traded Stalin to the Christians for the Pope and 2 future draft picks.

San Francisco

#221861 Mar 27, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>He was speaking in absolutes. Also it isn't about methodology or process. The question simply was can faith lead to truth. Of course it could
Someone has faith God exists. Somewhere down the road somehow this is proven to be true. Perhaps God appears before the world. Then something they believed to be true on faith was indeed true. And it was faith that led them to that belief
If the question was can faith prove truth I would have said no
And if someone has faith that Ganesha exists? Or Zeus? Or Xenu? Or that Joseph Smith was a prophet of the Judeo-Christian God who could read holy tablets delivered by an angel using stone glasses? Using faith alone, how does one determine which, if any, of those scenarios are the truth?

See what I'm saying? Faith is not a valid epistemology.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min New Age Spiritual... 818,238
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 7 min Good-Evil 2,031
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 min June VanDerMark 579,346
Doomsday's naysayers Apocalypse pending.... 12 min paint happy 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 23 min Porkpie Hat 270,194
Any girls wanna sex Skype? (Jan '13) 28 min rajevas 106
Rajkot gay Topix 33 min rajevas 13
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 33 min Seentheotherside 609,932
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 4 hr uknaked 98,013
More from around the web