Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story
IPSEC

Euless, TX

#221498 Mar 26, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because they don't do any scientific research. They take articles or papers on other true scientists and sit and think and write what they think is wrong with the ideas and principles in the work. That is all they do. Rewrite with a religious slant, all honest scientists body of work. They do NO work. Just tear down. And then say they are scientific.
Scientific my foot. You cant make a discovery when you do no work.
So I agree, a complete FAIL
Exactly.
IPSEC

Euless, TX

#221499 Mar 26, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Got caught in the depths of stupidity again, didn't you?
Now you resort to ugly troll behavior.
Now that's classic 'rational atheist' oxymoron behavior!
You're quite the loon, defrocked preacher. Please don't harm anyone else.
IPSEC

Euless, TX

#221500 Mar 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't help but think of how your tone would change if I had your shirt collar in my grip.
Yeah, just what I thought. No one jot, one tittle, one iota of an example where ID has led to scientific discovery or improved our lives. And, you already admitted it wasn't falsifiable. Fail.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#221501 Mar 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. would you also consider religion a control mechanism ??..
I don't think religions necessarily start out that way, but they nearly all end up that way.

San Francisco

#221502 Mar 26, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. admit it, you'd pet Rosemary ..
Oh I'd totally cuddle Rosemary I'm sure. That's something entirely different.

;)

San Francisco

#221503 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I know that psychology is the scientific study of the human mind and it's functions, it isn't just about emotions.
And I don't need wiki to verify that.
The point being, emotions can be studied. We know quite alot about them and how they operate. Not everything, certainly, but a great deal.

And back to the original point: you seem to get hung up on the idea that anything which cannot be directly observed with your eyes therefore cannot be empirically studied, and that's not the case at all. So the comparison between supernatural claims and things like emotions isn't a legitimate one.
IPSEC

Euless, TX

#221504 Mar 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity's worst year.
--There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules.
--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.
According to the myth, which you cowardly won't admit to following, Dear Leader in the sky drowned an entire planet. Hell, you clowns even make kid's toys, because, after all, genocide is wonderful, warm, and cuddly.

18.3 million percent worse. Hahaha. I wonder which smells worse, when you talk out of your mouth or out of your ass. Hey, convict, your farts mush just woosh after all the stretching you got by all those big joints in the joint

San Francisco

#221505 Mar 26, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> And what is your explanation as to why your spontaneous beliefs are irrational and magical?
When I was a little kid I was afraid of the dark, and thought there were monsters under the bed or hiding in the closet. I had no proof that there were of course, because there weren't any. But I earnestly believed there were. I was projecting my fear of the unknown. Ghosts and spirits are the same thing. People make up stories about things and they sometimes develop into larger myths and legends. It's just magical thinking, part of our psychological make-up. My guess would be that humans developed a propensity for magical thinking as a survival technique. A slightly paranoid person who thinks there might be predators lurking in the dark will take extra precautions to protect themselves, and will survive longer than someone with a more careless attitude. Now of course that propensity has outgrown it's usefulness.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#221506 Mar 26, 2014
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Stupid Skum ex-con. Work it, bitch. Like your ass got worked in the joint.
Your homo erotic fantasies about me are your business

:)

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#221507 Mar 26, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
--The historical record of killing for atheism is 182,716 times worse on an annual basis than Christianity's worst year.
--There is a 58 percent chance that an atheist leader will murder a noticeable percentage of the population over which he rules.
--Atheist crime against humanity is 18.3 million percent worse than the very worst depredation committed by Christians, even though atheists have had less than one-twentieth the number of opportunities with which to commit them.
So says creation com and other apologist sites, no evidence of course but since when has evidence had anything to do with religious lies are anything that buck want to believe?

So lets take your god, the book of god says he murdered the entire living population of the entire world minus about 18 million animals and a small handful of close human buddies.

99.9999999999999999999% of the population of the world, that my dear is going to take some beating even by the most determined despot.

It is estimated that 809 million people have died in religious wars throughout the ages. The conflicts include crusades, inter religious conflict, religious sects conflicts etc.

That too is going to take some beating, true, not all christian atrocities but hey, when your child has just been murdered in the name of god who’s taking a poll?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#221508 Mar 26, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes he does. Another shining example of the "Lord's work".
Another 'victim' heard from

When you first started posting I have you the benefit of the doubt that you were a new poster despite immediate alliances you made with and against people you supposedly didn't even know.

I made probably a dozen friendly posts to you, mostly about animals or some of the non-religious subjects you showed an interest in and you didn't respond once. Even stranger for someone I had no history with you began to randomly make attacks at me and others in the room who had never said a negative word to you and some who had only posted to you in a positive way. Yet you seemed very close a few people that had rarely ever posted in WSJLM.

Perhaps if you spent less time playing games you would have realized they stopped working on Topix years ago. Grab all the tissue you want, neither of you are even close to victims. If anything, you two are instigators, still under the delusion it influences people's perceptions. But you knew that already 'mate'

“The true real is unseen”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#221509 Mar 26, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a little kid I was afraid of the dark, and thought there were monsters under the bed or hiding in the closet. I had no proof that there were of course, because there weren't any. But I earnestly believed there were. I was projecting my fear of the unknown. Ghosts and spirits are the same thing. People make up stories about things and they sometimes develop into larger myths and legends. It's just magical thinking, part of our psychological make-up. My guess would be that humans developed a propensity for magical thinking as a survival technique. A slightly paranoid person who thinks there might be predators lurking in the dark will take extra precautions to protect themselves, and will survive longer than someone with a more careless attitude. Now of course that propensity has outgrown it's usefulness.

Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> And what is your explanation as to why your spontaneous beliefs are irrational and magical?

Was this post an answer to my question? or was the post an attempt to avoid answering the question? Because nothing you said in this post addresses my question. why is that?

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#221510 Mar 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why are you attempting to compare me to Stalin?
I did not study for the priesthood
I did not open 25000 churches
I did not re-instate the church institutions
But Stalin did.
Hmm, you're not black haired, male and Russian or have a desire to rule the Slav's either.
On another note , I watched the program "Secrets of the London Tower".
It really made me want to go see it, maybe some day I can.:)

“ The Lord of delirious minds.”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#221511 Mar 26, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not study for the priesthood
I did not open 25000 churches
I did not re-instate the church institutions
But Stalin did.
If I had to compare you , and only by what you have said of yourself.
I would have to compare you to Dianna , only maybe a bit less royal and much less American.
I could imagine a Dianna like blond English lady driving a Jaguar, who commands some respect, like a Thatcher or something.:)

San Francisco

#221512 Mar 26, 2014
Phantom2010 wrote:
<quoted text> Was this post an answer to my question? or was the post an attempt to avoid answering the question? Because nothing you said in this post addresses my question. why is that?
Sorry, I thought I was answering your question. Can you reword it? I must be misunderstanding you.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#221513 Mar 26, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
You're a sique fuque.
you may not understand it at this juncture, but this is a compliment from someone who promotes homosexuality and who encourages his young daughter to do so as well - thanks!

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#221514 Mar 26, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay Tarzan, but you're not coming into this building, till you go get some shoes.
Shoes are for yuppies and city boys, I wear boots.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221515 Mar 26, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>I miss the days of both the classics and 'cult favorites'. The Marvel movies have been a nice touch to pump some blood into an industry that seems to be running out of ideas and still can't top movies from 40 years ago. In one way its cool they have stood the test of time but wish there were more great movies to keep adding to the list. Very few in recent years
I totally agree. I think the reason why we have so many "reality shows" is because a lot of writers have just run out of ideas. That's probably also why we're getting a whole lot of old movies being remade, but a lot of the times I think the original is way better than the remake. Total Recall is one of them.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221516 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

So what if Stalin thinks Jesus existed, you do too.

You just admitted it, you think He was an anarchist, murderer and terrorist.

Does that make you a theist? Does that make you a Christian?
ChristineM wrote:
Because you and Stalin both believe Jesus existed.

You would know that, if you could read.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#221517 Mar 26, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

I know that psychology is the scientific study of the human mind and it's functions, it isn't just about emotions.
And I don't need wiki to verify that.
wilderide wrote:
The point being, emotions can be studied.
No, the point is that psychology is not the study of emotions, as you originally claimed (that's why I deleted the rest of your red herring from this response).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Tide with Beach 793,471
Why do white men hate white women who want blac... (May '11) 10 min Johnny 2,950
Thousands march in Holocaust memorial (Apr '06) 20 min patric 445
Gay snapchat names 22 min Adioz2020 323
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 28 min pusherman_ 567,332
body to body massage abu-dhabi.massage at abu d... (May '13) 32 min lovesex2571 62
Scientific proof for God's existence 34 min HipGnosis 486
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 40 min Black Thunder 42 607,041
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 2 hr bacon hater 97,411
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr Pegasus 267,253
More from around the web