Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256555 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#220749 Mar 21, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
You didn't offend me. But you did reveal that you can't have a discussion without dropping to a lower level.
"Does the bulk of Christianity consider Jesus Creator?"
- you are asking the wrong question. I understand that you don't want to be honest, but to get to the 'truth'- if it actually exists, then you need to begin with:
"Where does Jesus call himself the Creator?" You know....something like - "I am the Creator."....or even, "I am God."
- claiming "John" said Jesus said, is a bit of a stretch, don't you think, considering "John" is not a proven being - as to whom wrote the text. He is an unknown. Thus, his words are considered as a second-hand source and not 100% accurate.
Another point you should be addressing is - "Where does 'God' specifically state which texts are of 'His' inspiration and which are not?" And then go from there to, "Where does 'God' specifically state which bishops at the Council of Nicea have the authority to decide which are of "God's inspiration" and which are not?" Especially when "God" inspires EVERYONE - which is a fundamental belief in your religion.
Do you limit "God's" inspiration?
No other person in this world and reality, can be inspired by "God" to write another "gospel"?
I still disagree.
- who is anyone to state that one is not inspired by this "God"? Who is anyone who thinks they know the mind of this "God", to claim they know whom is inspired and who isn't.
There you go.....questions for you to answer, in order for me to get clarification of what you actually believe.
Or do you just - uhm....follow along with everyone else?
Cheers!
You might also consider that there are a great many gospels besides the four that were approved by the Council of Nicaea.

#220750 Mar 21, 2014
tricki wrote:
Glory forever and life more abundantly now
I don't know about glory forever, since life is finite, but science has definitely led to more abundant life.
tricki

Manheim, PA

#220751 Mar 21, 2014
Nuts. Must have been offensive. Many of my posts went bye-bye. Amalgam krazi Nawton ians demonic surgeon, struck a nerve I see.

#220752 Mar 21, 2014
<quoted text>
You didn't offend me. But you did reveal that you can't have a discussion without dropping to a lower level.
- you are asking the wrong question. I understand that you don't want to be honest, but to get to the 'truth'- if it actually exists, then you need to begin with:
"Where does Jesus call himself the Creator?" You know....something like - "I am the Creator."....or even, "I am God."
- claiming "John" said Jesus said, is a bit of a stretch, don't you think, considering "John" is not a proven being - as to whom wrote the text. He is an unknown. Thus, his words are considered as a second-hand source and not 100% accurate.
Another point you should be addressing is - "Where does 'God' specifically state which texts are of 'His' inspiration and which are not?" And then go from there to, "Where does 'God' specifically state which bishops at the Council of Nicea have the authority to decide which are of "God's inspiration" and which are not?" Especially when "God" inspires EVERYONE - which is a fundamental belief in your religion.
No other person in this world and reality, can be inspired by "God" to write another "gospel"?
I still disagree.
- who is anyone to state that one is not inspired by this "God"? Who is anyone who thinks they know the mind of this "God", to claim they know whom is inspired and who isn't.
There you go.....questions for you to answer, in order for me to get clarification of what you actually believe.
Cheers!
Sorry, just skimmed your post the first time. You did, tangentially, mention the additional gospels.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#220753 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Christianity doesn't fit the definition of a cult.
Dumb ass.
The signs or hallmarks that accompany a cult apply directly to Christianity.

Quoting:
*Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.

*No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.

*No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.

*Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.

*There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.

*Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.

*There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.

*Followers feel they can never be "good enough".

*The group/leader is always right.

*The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.
http://www.culteducation.com/warningsigns.htm...

Just because it has became socially acceptable, or is not perceived as a cult due to societal involvement, does not remove the cultish implications.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#220754 Mar 21, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. you want to show me your stuff ??..
<< Don't type that thought HL, censor your Stream of Consciousness >>
.. sure, I'd like to see your stuff ..
:-)))

“True Blue”

New Holland

#220755 Mar 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Read you own posts but you want to blame me because you excuse molesting children in the name of the church than fine, whatever turns you on. Don’t expect any sympathy form me though.
He does at that.

And then launches his childish attack on me, just because I posted a link about a church protecting a convicted pedophile, now murderer. It's all doing the Lord's work for funny-mentalists.

Water off a duck's back for me.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#220756 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It gets more ass than I do, if you know what I mean...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
When I have sex, there's always a man there.
Strange.
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...

“True Blue”

New Holland

#220757 Mar 21, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
A natural reaction to the christian stupidity of stereotyping
KiMare tells us all blondes are dumb and I respond with all christians have small penis’s
But I see you have not commented on KiMare BS, I wonder why?
That's one of the "arguments" you'll get from that thing. Good comeback!

It just shows how little they really have.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220758 Mar 21, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
The signs or hallmarks that accompany a cult apply directly to Christianity.
Quoting:
*Absolute authoritarianism without meaningful accountability.
*No tolerance for questions or critical inquiry.
*No meaningful financial disclosure regarding budget, expenses such as an independently audited financial statement.
*Unreasonable fear about the outside world, such as impending catastrophe, evil conspiracies and persecutions.
*There is no legitimate reason to leave, former followers are always wrong in leaving, negative or even evil.
*Former members often relate the same stories of abuse and reflect a similar pattern of grievances.
*There are records, books, news articles, or television programs that document the abuses of the group/leader.
*Followers feel they can never be "good enough".
*The group/leader is always right.
*The group/leader is the exclusive means of knowing "truth" or receiving validation, no other process of discovery is really acceptable or credible.
http://www.culteducation.com/warningsigns.htm...
Just because it has became socially acceptable, or is not perceived as a cult due to societal involvement, does not remove the cultish implications.
A cult is a system of religious reverence and love directed towards a particular human being or object, instead of God.

Since Christians worship God alone, it does not meet the definition of a cult.

Besides, cults have cult leaders.

Who's the cult leader of Christianity?

“True Blue”

New Holland

#220759 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such thing as blonde jokes.
They are all true stories.
Why are most blonde jokes one-liners?

So that men can understand them.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220760 Mar 21, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Ah. Mix-n-match posts like you mix-n-match Scripture, do ya?

Lemme ask you this: When you have sex, is a man present?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#220761 Mar 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently scientists see it differently.
Oh, and rational atheist scientists do too. The first to assert the Big Bang now isn't so sure about God.
Interesting that countless cultures believe in the supernatural, but not one single culture has accepted ss couples as married for any length of time.
Smile.
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Another one bites the dust.
http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/21/justice/michiga...
Big smile.
Honey, are you really trying to discredit a scientific proof of God with a ss marriage oxymoron??? REALLY???

Snicker smile.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#220762 Mar 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You might also consider that there are a great many gospels besides the four that were approved by the Council of Nicaea.
Oh yeah - there was a slight nod that way - in my questions - if one were to understand the questions.

Be weary though - as some of those gospels were written well after the supposed death of Jesus.

One could also speculate that they were written, knowing that Jesus never died on the cross at all.

With most crucifixions - the body is left on the cross until truly dead. Three hours is not enough to kill someone on the cross. It is possible to have extreme wounds and still live.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#220763 Mar 21, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Has everybody heard that the Westboro Baptist Church patriarch Fred Phelps has graced us by leaving the planet? Will the VFW bring a contingent to his funeral to defecate on his grave during the ceremony carrying sings saying "God hates you"?
Ahh the only good thing he ever did.

The last I heard is that the family won't be having a funeral. Too many f**-enablers might turn up to celebrate.

Location hidden

#220764 Mar 21, 2014
<quoted text>
I still disagree.
Cheers!
Honey, you need an airplane to get to my level.

I asked the right questions. I don't argue faith with faithless people. You clearly don't believe, so the 'right' question is the only one that can be proved, using the sources that are available.

So once again, does the bulk of Christianity consider Jesus Creator?

Why?

One more:

Why would a 'rational atheist' oxymoron want to argue faith when asked a factual question???

Snicker.

“True Blue”

New Holland

#220765 Mar 21, 2014
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
I just read that myself. I am hoping (praying?) that there is a huge protest at his funeral.
Pity it's too far for me to travel. I hope the celebrations resemble a pride parade.
:-)

Location hidden

#220766 Mar 21, 2014
<quoted text>
With most crucifixions - the body is left on the cross until truly dead. Three hours is not enough to kill someone on the cross. It is possible to have extreme wounds and still live.
Um, honey, He wasn't just crucified...

Don't leave your welfare income to become a Bible teacher, just leave your welfare income.

Snicker.

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#220767 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A cult is a system of religious reverence and love directed towards a particular human being or object, instead of God.

Now that your pal Phelps is dead, who knows?

Pat Robertson? That Lively fellow? Phoney Baloney Mahony?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#220768 Mar 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The cult leader? Why, the Jesus!, of course.

There is no evidence of the Jesus! being a "god".

At best, he was just a human. That's all any of the alleged evidence shows.

Christianity began as a cult, waiting for the charismatic "leader" to return after a preemptive death. When the leader didn't come through in the "prophesy", given in Matthew 24, confirmation bias http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bia... and cognitive dissonance http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_disson... kicked in, and in walked theTrue Believer™ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True-believer_sy... .

The cult still persists.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Profitional massage for girl in Sohar (oman) (Jan '15) 28 min Bewithme 9
*** All Time Favorite Songs *** (Dec '10) 59 min Classic 3,809
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 1 hr Bongo 64,059
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Steve III 654,009
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 973,805
I prefer women's satin panties over men's under... 6 hr Clive 27
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 6 hr Clive 80
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr Rosa_Winkel 106,508
More from around the web