Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258473 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#220258 Mar 19, 2014
Electrical Engineer wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoa whoa whoa. Someone said Dino's didn't have DNA?!
Yes. Topix atheist, amateur biologist, and all-around fink, Blue Baboon.

And have you met Christine - who says the Pope is an atheist?

And what about WildeRide - who says EVERYONE is an atheist?

You can learn a lot around here, man. No shit.

...We have this one guy, Darwin's SumpPump, who claims to be a mathematician and a calculus professor. He says that a donut is infinite in length. He says you can slice a pizza into infinite pieces, of area greater than zero, and put the infinite pieces back in the same box.

It's a nut house, man. I was in prison for 12 years, and the people there are smarter than Topix atheists.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#220259 Mar 19, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, be careful ....I occasionally have VERY expensive tastes in restaurants :-)
xoxoxo
sumthin tells me that you'd be worth every penny, you hot hot hottie, you!;-)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#220260 Mar 19, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
Also were Abraham Lincoln, Sir Isaac Newton, Thomas Edison, Socrates, Voltaire, Leonardo Da Vinci, Buddha and so many millions more. What is your point?
i could live on oysters and fish tacos if i had too......;-)

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#220261 Mar 19, 2014
Here is something to send Buck into a lather...

Barney Frank has been named Humanist of the Year by the Humanist Community at Harvard.

Location hidden

#220262 Mar 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Talk about putting things in literal terminology. I actually quite like the recent Pope. As an atheist he isn't the extremist we see in the media. Which I enjoy.
Yeah. But for an atheist, the Pope seems pretty religious.

Location hidden

#220263 Mar 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
"blacklagoon" said that as far as science is concerned, DNA didn't exist until it was discovered.
Yup, dinosaurs had no DNA.
It's amazing what the Topix Atheists! can teach us.
Did you know the Pope is atheist?
According to Wilderice, everyone is an atheist.

I couldn't get a ruling from him on rocks and turds.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#220264 Mar 19, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
How does that work? American society has begun accepting gay marriage in the last several years, for example, and I for one haven't had my common or moral senses perverted by it as you predict. Nor do any of my friends or acquaintances seem to be any different either.
In fact, not only is there no evidence of the moral catastrophe you predict in tolerant Americans for being tolerant, I can't imagine how such tolerance could make anybody a worse person - unless their religion incited them to be meaner. Many of the religious seem to be angrier and worse people because of it, but that's it.
And of course, that wouldn't be due to tolerance for a group, but due to the intolerance of the church for that attitude. Is that the deterioraization that you're speaking of - the church getting into a lather over the rest of us trying to honor the Golden Rule?
It's my opinion that this mean spirited hostility is a big turn off for most people not already strongly affiliated with the church and in its sway, and will hasten the diminution of the church, just as its many scandals have. and its frontal attack on science probably has had. You can't very well claim the moral or intellectual high ground with so much baggage.
LOL!

here's a clue pal: a deceived person doesn't know that they're deceived or else they wouldn't be deceived, now would they?

for those of us who aren't deceived, dealing with deceived & moral barbarians in every day life with driving, commerce, entertainment...etc just plain doesn't work anymore.

#220265 Mar 19, 2014
Electrical Engineer:

Just to show you what kind of liar Buck is, he stated just now that...
Buck Crick wrote:
...We have this one guy, Darwin's SumpPump, who claims to be a mathematician and a calculus professor. He says that a donut is infinite in length.
What I said is that a path of infinite length can be mapped onto a circle (and hence the torus...or in Buck lingo a donut) by the mapping

x = cos(t)

y = sin(t)

for t = 0 to infinity

I also gave Buck links showing the circle has an infinite fundamental group...which is just another way of saying what I said above.
Buck Crick wrote:
He says you can slice a pizza into infinite pieces, of area greater than zero, and put the infinite pieces back in the same box.
And what I said here is that...

Sum(1/2^n) for n = 1 to infinity = 1.

Yes, an infinite number of non-zero terms can add to a finite value...something Buck claims can not happen. As you know, we are talking about convergent series here.

Being an EE, you will know a fair amount about convergent series since you probably use (and were certainly taught) Fourier Series.

And, get this. Buck claims to have made straight As in calculus...despite not knowing, or even grasping, the above facts.

You might also note that Buck seems to think calling me names makes his argument more valid.

Buck makes me laugh.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#220266 Mar 19, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Name one civilization then.
you mean besides what's happening now in the US, canada and europe; where men no longer are respected as leaders in their homes and women and children rule them (yes, all because they've compromised on morallity/common sense)? i can name more than 1:

the entire world before the flood, sodom and gomorrah, rome, germany circa 30's-40's to name a few:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#220267 Mar 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Wilderice, everyone is an atheist.
I couldn't get a ruling from him on rocks and turds.
My dog eats rocks and turds.

He's also an atheist.

“BAS in Electrical Engineering”

Since: Jan 14

Location hidden

#220268 Mar 19, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Electrical Engineer:
<quoted text>
What I said is that a path of infinite length can be mapped onto a circle (and hence the torus...or in Buck lingo a donut) by the mapping
x = cos(t)
y = sin(t)
for t = 0 to infinity
I also gave Buck links showing the circle has an infinite fundamental group...which is just another way of saying what I said above.
<quoted text>
Yes, an infinite number of non-zero terms can add to a finite value...something Buck claims can not happen. As you know, we are talking about convergent series here.
Being an EE, you will know a fair amount about convergent series since you probably use (and were certainly taught) Fourier Series.
And, get this. Buck claims to have made straight As in calculus...despite not knowing, or even grasping, the above facts.
You might also note that Buck seems to think calling me names makes his argument more valid.
Buck makes me laugh.
Oh yes, I understand that math behind it. It was one of the hardest classes I took. Math Lab did a wonderful job of doing all that math for me though. ;)

I don't take what many people on this site take to heart. Most of the people on here are defensive and try to make bold claims with absolutely no source. Believe me, I do not take what Buck says seriously.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220269 Mar 19, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Electrical Engineer:
<quoted text>
x = cos(t)
y = sin(t)
for t = 0 to infinity
<quoted text>
Buck makes me laugh.
Only a mathematician can mathematically prove he's a geek.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#220270 Mar 19, 2014
He who has the most birthdays

Lives the longest.

-RR

Location hidden

#220271 Mar 19, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
Electrical Engineer:
<quoted text>
x = cos(t)
y = sin(t)
for t = 0 to infinity
<quoted text>
Buck makes me laugh.
What you offer here is easily grasped. It's just not the argument you have made.

You argued for infinite quantities in the physical world.

You don't understand the difference in theoretical math and physical matter.

And there is also this from you, referring to Behe's testimony in Kitzmiller:

Darwin's Stepchild wrote:

"And, yes, Behe admitted that ID is not science"

Kitzmiller, Day 10, Trial Transcript:

Q. Sir, do you have an opinion as to whether intelligent design is science?

Behe: Yes, I do.

Q. And what is that opinion?

Behe: Yes, it is.

Q. Do you have an opinion as to whether intelligent design makes testable scientific claims?

Q. What is that opinion?

Behe: Yes, it does.

Location hidden

#220272 Mar 19, 2014
<quoted text>
Oh yes, I understand that math behind it. It was one of the hardest classes I took. Math Lab did a wonderful job of doing all that math for me though. ;)
I don't take what many people on this site take to heart. Most of the people on here are defensive and try to make bold claims with absolutely no source. Believe me, I do not take what Buck says seriously.
Do you accept a claim I make about Dagwood's words when I copy and past his own words?

Darwin's Stepchild wrote:[referring to Kitzmiller]

"And, yes, Behe admitted that ID is not science"

Kitzmiller, Day 10, Trial Transcript:

Q. Sir, do you have an opinion as to whether intelligent design is science?

Q. And what is that opinion?

Behe: Yes, it is.

Q. Do you have an opinion as to whether intelligent design makes testable scientific claims?

Q. What is that opinion?

Behe: Yes, it does.

Which element has no basis - his own words or the official transcript of the trial?

Obviously, both are authentic. Equally as obvious, I caught Dagwood red-handed in a lie.

What part of my claim is not credible?

I will wait for your answer.

Location hidden

#220273 Mar 19, 2014
<quoted text>

Most of the people on here are defensive and try to make bold claims with absolutely no source. Believe me, I do not take what Buck says seriously.
Please supply a specific example.

Location hidden

#220274 Mar 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
My dog eats rocks and turds.
He's also an atheist.
You are correct.

By the definitions supplied by atheists on this thread, both your dog and the turds he eats are atheists.

Location hidden

#220275 Mar 19, 2014
....does that qualify as cannibalism?

#220276 Mar 19, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Topix atheist, amateur biologist, and all-around fink, Blue Baboon.
And have you met Christine - who says the Pope is an atheist?
And what about WildeRide - who says EVERYONE is an atheist?
You can learn a lot around here, man. No shit.
...We have this one guy, Darwin's SumpPump, who claims to be a mathematician and a calculus professor. He says that a donut is infinite in length. He says you can slice a pizza into infinite pieces, of area greater than zero, and put the infinite pieces back in the same box.
It's a nut house, man. I was in prison for 12 years, and the people there are smarter than Topix atheists.
Buck, you should be more careful who you try to push your BS on. EE will have, at a minimum, almost a minor in math...and quite likely more than that. He will have taken Linear Algebra and Differential Equations...both post-calculus courses. Perhaps Vector Calculus and even Complex Analysis. Which means he knows far more math than you and will see you are just pulling things out of your arse.

You can pull this sh*t on RR because RR know less than most rocks. But the fact you try to pull this off on educated people is just pathetic. You aren't fooling anyone...except yourself and RR.

#220277 Mar 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Only a mathematician can mathematically prove he's a geek.
Why thank you.

Math geeks rule.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Bongo 119,205
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 1 hr Vlad 2,630
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 hr Trump Worshiper 679,123
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 6 hr earthly science f... 445,839
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 6 hr Holy Jehowa Witness 46,214
What Your Church Won't Tell You by Dave and Gar... (Apr '10) 6 hr Trumps worshiper 33,216
Melania Trump's hair shines in Saudi sun 6 hr Trumps worshiper 5
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) Thu UMAKEWORLDPEACEUM... 982,141
More from around the web