Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258473 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#220154 Mar 18, 2014
Wow. Cry baby chooky doesn't comprehend why an Aussie would only use Aussie slang with another Aussie.

If not for the few coherent Murikans here I would think you all get as easily confuddled.
tricki

Douglassville, PA

#220155 Mar 18, 2014
atheism is the product of the minds of FOOLS

it is impossible for anyone to gaze out upon the universe and not understand that something, somewhere was responsible for it; Unless you are a FOOL

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#220156 Mar 18, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Wow. Cry baby chooky doesn't comprehend why an Aussie would only use Aussie slang with another Aussie.
If not for the few coherent Murikans here I would think you all get as easily confuddled.
RR can't even understand the English Dialect he was raised in.

RR states that the State of California documents that he has the literacy level of a 12 year old.
Topix documents that his emotional and intellectual level is about the same.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#220157 Mar 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You've done experiments on the big bang?
Did I say that? No.

Your reading skills, as usual, are a fail.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#220158 Mar 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Blind faith would be believing that the Genesis creation story is factual because the bible says so. Believing an article in Scientific American is justified. The difference is their track records, which is evidence. Also, the two types of belief are different in their degree. Faith in the bible is not only not justified by evidence (blind), it is absolute. The trust in Scientific American is tentative, supported by reports in other sources, and would disappear if their standards fell.
You probably should stop comparing the two. It never world out well for religious faith.
=========
Notice that another prophecy of science was just confirmed - the second one this decade (the Higgs boson being the first).
When you find something like gravity waves exactly where you expected to find them with devices designed to look precisely where they were predicted by theory to be found, you have evidence that takes you FAR beyond blind faith.
“Think of how many religions attempt to validate themselves with prophecy. Think of how many people rely on these prophecies, however vague, however unfulfilled, to support or prop up their beliefs. Yet has there ever been a religion with the prophetic accuracy and reliability of science?”- Carl Sagan
RiversideRedneck is to science

as

a Vogon is to poetry

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#220159 Mar 19, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
homosexuality has been the downfall of many civilizations; not because of sexual behavior done in private, but because when it's accepted as appropriate behavior in general, it perverts all common sense & moral decisions in every aspect of life
How does that work? American society has begun accepting gay marriage in the last several years, for example, and I for one haven't had my common or moral senses perverted by it as you predict. Nor do any of my friends or acquaintances seem to be any different either.

In fact, not only is there no evidence of the moral catastrophe you predict in tolerant Americans for being tolerant, I can't imagine how such tolerance could make anybody a worse person - unless their religion incited them to be meaner. Many of the religious seem to be angrier and worse people because of it, but that's it.

And of course, that wouldn't be due to tolerance for a group, but due to the intolerance of the church for that attitude. Is that the deterioraization that you're speaking of - the church getting into a lather over the rest of us trying to honor the Golden Rule?

It's my opinion that this mean spirited hostility is a big turn off for most people not already strongly affiliated with the church and in its sway, and will hasten the diminution of the church, just as its many scandals have. and its frontal attack on science probably has had. You can't very well claim the moral or intellectual high ground with so much baggage.

Fennario

#220160 Mar 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Imagine what a real war on Christianity would be like...
Ask Clearwater and KiMare. They spend most of their time imagining it.

Fennario

#220161 Mar 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If the world's greatest scientist can even get it right, why should I believe some no name science geek with a white lab coat and some vague university degree to tell me how the universe started?
Why not? Your standards for belief are lower than that.

Science has an uncounted number of successes under its belt. Your bible and church not so much.

Fennario

#220162 Mar 19, 2014
KiMare wrote:
A God who forces Himself on no one.
It's an amazing coincidence how your god always seems to make the choice that would be the case if there were no god. Whenever and wherever he could manifest in some clear way, he chooses not to. That's a pretty strange strategy for a god that we are told wants to be known, loved, and worshiped by man.

Fennario

#220163 Mar 19, 2014
tricki wrote:
it is impossible for anyone to gaze out upon the universe and not understand that something, somewhere was responsible for it; Unless you are a FOOL
Actually, jumping to the god conclusion is the easier choice. Ancient and primitive people did it readily.

Understanding how the world could evolve to the state we find it today and operate without supervision or intervention was the hard part, which is why it came millennia later, and is only well understood by the best minds - the people you are calling fools.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#220164 Mar 19, 2014
tricki wrote:
atheism is the product of the minds of FOOLS

Or curious.

Or willing to seek the truth.

Or not satisfied with simple answers.

Or unable to overlook obvious religious contradictions.

Or unable to accept things that have not one shred of evidence.

Or unwilling to believe in idiotic things like talking snakes, worldwide floods, boats that can hold two of every animal on the earth, a man living in the belly of a whale, burning bushes that talk, walking on water...you know...foolish stuff.

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#220165 Mar 19, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Did I say that? No.

Your reading skills, as usual, are a fail.
It's not his reading skills.

It's his lack of integrity.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#220166 Mar 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Einstein shouldn't have introduced his Cosmological Constant theory to begin with.
If the world's greatest scientist can even get it right, why should I believe some no name science geek with a white lab coat and some vague university degree to tell me how the universe started?
He'd probably agree wIth you. In fact, he did.

That said, he was going with the best data available at the time - and when new data came along, compliments of Edwin Hubble, guess what?

HE ADOPTED THE BETTER DATA!!

Presented with new facts, he learned and changed his mind. When have fundies ever done that?

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#220167 Mar 19, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>LOL
That was quite the meltdown!
And why would you post me a link about a priest covering it up when I not only said it happens, that I want anybody involved in coverups to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law (and have said many times I want them to be charged as accessories after the fact as it would mean a harsh penalty compared to say obstruction which can only be criminal if it involves hindering an actual ongoing police investigation), and said I want to see ALL abuse in the church exposed?
What was your point?
You really are retarded
I'm not retarded - and it doesn't make you any smarter for saying so.

This reminds me of you:

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#220168 Mar 19, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Einstein shouldn't have introduced his Cosmological Constant theory to begin with.
Oh,and you're still wrong about the OPERA experiment - but you knew that.
(That qualifies as a deliberate falsehood, y'know.)

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#220169 Mar 19, 2014
Skombolis wrote:
<quoted text>Yet she responded to a post about me that was written to me
LOL
You always have have trouble figuring out what is going on from what post to the next too. Other than RT, the women atheists (I will just go by whatever group you claim to be in at the moment) are really dragging down the curve for your side. And I know plenty of very intelligent women so that's not an indictment on females. It is just random chance I guess that some of the dumbest ones are in the same place
And 'chook'
Who are you trying to copy now? Rosa goes all 'drungo' and whatever other supposed saying are where she is probably pretending to be from and now the Topix sheep has to copy of course! Have you ever used that word before right now?
Baa baa
Our little prison bitch is a classic male chauvinist pig. Jesus will be so pleased with you!

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#220170 Mar 19, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>RR can't even understand the English Dialect he was raised in.

RR states that the State of California documents that he has the literacy level of a 12 year old.
Topix documents that his emotional and intellectual level is about the same.
I understand the mix up but I was referring to Skumbucket.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#220171 Mar 19, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
homosexuality has been the downfall of many civilizations; not because of sexual behavior done in private, but because when it's accepted as appropriate behavior in general, it perverts all common sense & moral decisions in every aspect of life!
buckle your seatbelts social liberals, cuz you are not immune to the problems that you're bringing on us all!!!
Name one civilization then.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#220172 Mar 19, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Good one! That little whinger has a hard time reading the simplest post. It's lack of comprehension is everyone else's fault. Not hard to tell who isn't too smart...

LOLOLOL! It's as mad as a tree full of galahs.

Hooroo mate.

“It's Time. . .”

New Holland

#220173 Mar 19, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand the mix up but I was referring to Skumbucket.
:-)))

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min New Age Spiritual... 675,572
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 29 min Bongo 110,432
Ifitdress.com reviews (Oct '12) 2 hr krystaadams 15
Lido Theater, Dallas (Mar '12) 2 hr Jacksonpotluck 473
___RUSSIA & USA ALL-OUT WAR?___ Bible ID's. 4 hr YTubeNews 1
Allergan Botulinums For Sale - Pharmoworld.com 5 hr botox4sale 1
My NEW SPECULATION about the mystery vehicle an... 5 hr andet1987 7
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 hr dufusGab 982,285
More from around the web