Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“When you treat people as they ”

Since: Nov 10

treat you they get offended.

#219042 Mar 14, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
The Big Bang is also a name that was coined pretty much by the press. Cosmologists hated the term.
Yes… much more comfortable (and accurate) with inflation

Been a while, how’s it hanging?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#219043 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Being raised as a Christian is meaningless if you don't act like a Christian when you grow up.
How can a Christian not act like a Christian? The way that they act defines what acting like a Christian means.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Jus as being raised an atheist means nothing if you join a religion when you grow up.
Wrong. Being raised a humanist will serve you better if you later turn to religion than had you been raised under religious values..
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The fact that Stalin had religious parents and was raised in a Catholic home is obviously meaningless, as he fought to have all churches under his pier destroyed or shut down and all religions under his power quelled.
I doubt that his upbringing wasn't a factor. You make a lot of unfounded assumptions.

“When you treat people as they ”

treat you they get offended.

#219044 Mar 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
IPSEC wrote:
<quoted text>Yep. Watch the mourning at the demise of Kim Jong Il. Dear Leader was as much a deity as Immanuel, Jesus, or Lucifer.
<quoted text>
Dumb and Dumber...
Exactly how is he 'as much a deity' as Jesus?
Smile.
Because he was.

Because his people worshipped him as such.

Honey, you don’t have dibs on who is to be deity or not.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#219045 Mar 14, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>One suspects (but cannot prove) a form of pareidolia on the part of some observers...
Good word. I think I learned it from you.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#219046 Mar 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Here in the UK and France recently it was teachers when one ran off from the UK to France with a pupil. That media circus would outstrip a royal wedding. Before that we had celebrities of various levels of celebrity. Nope the church is not getting disproportionate attention, it is getting the attention it deserves.
Sorry you think that, my priority is for children not for protecting priests by shovelling their abuse under the carpet. If global infinity means that people know that some priests have paedophile tendencies and that knowledge helps protect children then for me the media is welcome to emblazon it in 100 mile high lights on the moon
Im not sure why you are having such a hard time following what I am saying

Didn't I say several times I agree any abuse in the church should be reported and that what I take exception with is lots of other abuse goes without getting media attention at all and I want to see it all reported. Or at least as much as possible. Because victims of abuse in other places suffer just like victims of abuse in the church yet the media doesn't seem too interested in reporting it unless its a "juicy" news story. The news has become too centered around scandal and often ignites many other things that for the public good should ALSO get some coverage

And what I said the problem with the coverage being disproportionate is not only people think it happens much more in the church than anywhere else which isn't true but in addition because people think that they aren't looking in other areas as much as they should to be trying to stop all abuse as much as possible

I don't know why there is always a disconnect. It feels as if you try very hard for there to be one because this is not the first time I have had to explain something repeatedly when we are pretty much in agreement as you insist on trying to make it a "sides" thing even when you are the only one in the exchange doing it. I have explained it as much as I am going to now. Whatever you grasp of dont grasp after this is simply being deliberately obtuse.

Location hidden

#219047 Mar 14, 2014
Ignores not ignites

Location hidden

#219048 Mar 14, 2014
Edit Christine

Btw, if the UK was so much better than the U.S, at directing its resources towards stopping abuse and your media was so much better at covering it then there would be 200 paparazzi there to snap pictures in case someone in the Royal Family farts

Scandal and interest in famous people's trivial activities trumps more important things in societies all over the world. Including yours

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Location hidden

#219049 Mar 14, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Really?
That I am not a member of any Christian Church, is true; but I have never denied the truth of the Scriptures; and I have never spoken with intentional disrepect of religion in general, or of any denomination of Christians in particular.
- Abraham Lincoln
Abraham was a johnny come lately opponent of slavery...

Location hidden

#219050 Mar 14, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Here's a point; How can you maintain integrity without addressing the vast difference between the functional design of heterosexual intercourse and the abusive violation of anal sex? Smirk.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a better point: Why would I care? I'll leave the panty sniffing to you and your god.
Where did I refer to a god?

Once again the 'rational atheist' oxymoron runs from, get this, medical science!

Smirk.

Location hidden

#219051 Mar 14, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Because his people worshipped him as such.
Really?

'Rational atheism' oxymoron...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#219052 Mar 14, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>The Yahweh! or the Jesus!, because those are two distinct deity concepts.
Which one is your "god"?
You've answered your own question already, in your usual childish and mocking way.

"a Christian mentions "god" it means the Yahweh!/Jesus!/holy spirit! "trio", "

Stop asking.

Location hidden

#219053 Mar 14, 2014
Stalin was a Marxist. As is the fundamental belief system of all Communism.

"Communism begins where atheism begins, but atheism is at the outset still far from being communism; indeed it is still for the most part an abstraction."

“The first requisite for the happiness of the people is the abolition of religion”(Karl Marx)

Ah,'rational atheist' oxymoron again...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219055 Mar 14, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Wilderide and Scar have given you the OT justifications for slavery, so I'll confine myself to the NT. That's the only one Xians follow, yeah right.
Matthew 20
26Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave— 28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”
John 8:35
Now a slave has no permanent place in the family, but a son belongs to it forever.
1 Corinthians 7
21 Were you a slave when you were called? Don’t let it trouble you—although if you can gain your freedom, do so. 22 For the one who was a slave when called to faith in the Lord is the Lord’s freed person; similarly, the one who was free when called is Christ’s slave. 23 You were bought at a price; do not become slaves of human beings. 24 Brothers and sisters, each person, as responsible to God, should remain in the situation they were in when God called them.
Galatians 3:28
There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 6:5
Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.
1 Timothy 6
1All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God’s name and our teaching may not be slandered. 2 Those who have believing masters should not show them disrespect just because they are fellow believers. Instead, they should serve them even better because their masters are dear to them as fellow believers and are devoted to the welfare[a] of their slaves.
Titus 2:9-10
9 Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them, 10 and not to steal from them, but to show that they can be fully trusted, so that in every way they will make the teaching about God our Savior attractive.
Philemon 1 - ie the entire book is a letter to a slave master re Onesimus his slave.
There you go, RR. Nowhere does the New Testament condemn slavery - except for being a slave to sin.
And nowhere does it say you shouldn't abolish slavery, as I've already stated.

Thanks

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219056 Mar 14, 2014
<quoted text>
James who? Who is this guy? And who can vouch for his integrity and reliability?
Did anybody offer a contradictory opinion - perhaps a Frank or a Larry?
What does your god say?
Who's Frank and Larry and why do you want their opinion?

God says those who know the Bible, the gospel, will be under stricter judgement that those who don't.

But what do you care?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219057 Mar 14, 2014
<quoted text>
I don't think so.
It's amazing how little light and how much much heat and smoke is generated when you post. You make so many mistakes that forward progress is virtually impossible. You have somehow gotten yourself entangled in just about the least useful part of the discussion, skillfully eluding any meaningful aspect of the mousetrap issue.
Ya you did. We were talking about the irreducible complexity of a mousetrap and you posted a picture of a hole in a rock and claimed that it's irreducibly complex too.

In the real world, that's called a comparison.

So next time, think.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#219058 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You've answered your own question already, in your usual childish and mocking way.
"a Christian mentions "god" it means the Yahweh!/Jesus!/holy spirit! "trio", "
Stop asking.
But non triune Christians don't, which are you?

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#219062 Mar 14, 2014
<quoted text>
Good word. I think I learned it from you.
I *like* words.
And languages.
OG Kush

Belleview, FL

#219066 Mar 14, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
"You know, they are fooling us, there is no God… all this talk about God is sheer nonsense."
-Joseph Stalin
[ I warned you.]
"Mankind is divided into rich and poor, into property owners and exploited; and to abstract oneself from this fundamental division; and from the antagonism between poor and rich means abstracting oneself from fundamental facts."
-Joseph Stalin

The Pope? How many divisions has he got?
Joseph Stalin

I trust no one, not even myself.
Joseph Stalin

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219072 Mar 14, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:

The Redneck does serve a purpose. He shows the importance of having an educated populace.
Agreed.
He, along with so many other faith based thinkers like him, and contrasted with so many unlike him from a competing tradition - humanism - also illustrates the tendency toward moral and intellectual failure more typical of the alumni of faith based educational programs.
Virtually all unbelievers posting here are bright and decent people. The difference between the two groups has to be in large part the fault of religious teaching, which puts a brake on optimal development in these areas. It costs the direct victims the most, and the rest of us as well to a lesser extent. Seeing this should help all unbelievers see that it's not enough just to say that religion might be fine for the next guy, but not for him- or herself. Those with a social conscience might want to see this phenomenon mitigated.
Oh yeah, you Topix Atheists! are so fucking intelligent.

You think E=MC2 disproves God.

You think you can remove a piece of a mousetrap and it's still a mousetrap.

You think the Pope is an atheist.

You think all people are atheists.

You think dinosaurs had no DNA.

You claim to know the Bible better than Christians, but screw up the understanding of every single verse.

You claim to be atheists but claim to know that there is no God.

You claim to be agnostic but claim to know there is no God.

You have a hard time understanding the meanings of very basic words and post things like "define faith".

Buck, what am I forgetting here?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#219074 Mar 14, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Jus as being raised an atheist means nothing if you join a religion when you grow up.
Wrong. Being raised a humanist will serve you better if you later turn to religion than had you been raised under religious values..
Wrong. Being raised a Christian will serve you better if you later turn to humanism than had you been raised under humanist values.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 min Liberalism is Cancer 36,518
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 12 min trifecta1 988,420
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 15 min scientistsknowrea... 619,810
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 41 min NutSoDivineMsM 688,601
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 5 hr Peter Ross 6,541
How did black people get here ( economically) 9 hr RFD 64
What was the Vegas mass murderer's REAL problem? 10 hr RFD 18
More from around the web