Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258473 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#218168 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Nope. Basically, irreducible complexity means it is impossible to reduce the complexity of a complex system by removing any of its parts and still maintain its functionality. The common mousetrap illustrates irreducible complexity. It's made of five integral parts: a catch, a spring, a hammer, a holding bar and a foundation. Remove any of them and the design fails. It is complexity that cannot be reduced or simplified.
Here's your irreducible complexity of a mousetrap argument deconstructed in three minutes

Incidentally, this is why the argument for irreducible complexity doesn't win converts from the evidence based community. Just because you can't imagine functionality in less complex forms doesn't mean that they can't have function, perhaps of a very different nature than the larger mechanism, or that this function couldn't have been selected by nature by virtue of it conferring a competitive advantage.

You really can't look at a natural mechanism and declare it irreducibly complex just because you can't imagine a slightly less complex mechanism with functionality. Many systems have been offered as examples of irreducible complexity only to have it shown that there was functionality in slightly less complex systems. Famous examples apart from the mousetrap include the flagellar motor on some microorganisms, the coagulation cascade, and the eye.

Also, consider this arch:
http://web.mst.edu/~rogersda/phd_research/Lan...

You can't remove any segment of the arch without the whole thing coming down. Does this mean that it was intelligently designed and constructed?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#218169 Mar 11, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not a concept at all. Laws can't be fulfilled.
And a welcome back to the ranking 'rational atheist' oxymoron!!!

I drove the speed limit yesterday, fulfilling the law regulating speed.

I'm not trying to embarrass idiots, but you just keep on giving me material...

Smirk.

Fennario

#218170 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I don't believe a puddle of goop could flourish into life without the assistance of a designer.
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ig... :

Argument from incredulity/Lack of imagination - Arguments from incredulity take the form 'P is too incredible (or: I cannot imagine how P could possibly be true); therefore P must be false (or, I cannot imagine how P could possibly be false; therefore P must be true).' These arguments are similar to arguments from ignorance.[How rude!]
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I believe that designer is God.
Statement of faith.

Fennario

#218171 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The Old Testament laws actually forbade the kind of slavery that happened in America. Exodus 21:16 Whoever steals a man and sells him, and anyone found in possession of him, shall be put to death.
There's no way you could get around that, is there? Didn't Jesus say he fulfilled that law?

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#218172 Mar 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Calm down, your weakened sphincter will create a mess!

What a ugly, ignorant, bigoted statement. I'm not 'forcing' anything on anyone, nor is a 'faith' that has choice a fundamental tenant.

I simply note a medical fact; Anal sex is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning. Why would you try to defend such a disgusting, ugly behavior???

Smile.
Why not ask some priests? Or do you think it's ok when it's with children and in the name of "god"?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#218173 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Atheism was manufactured later than religion.

It originated in the 16th century. Modern atheism, about the 18th century. Atheism as a political force got rolling with Lenin and Stalin with, shall we say, unfavorable results.

Religion is far older than atheism. Atheism is manufactured, same as religion, only later.

Your default position is stupidity.
Atheism was the default position long before religion was manufactured.

Only the WORD for atheism was manufactured, necessarily, after religion was MANufactured.

You really ARE desperate, aren't you.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#218174 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
...face in hands...
High levels of CSI are not explained naturally, and the hypothesis does not begin with a designer, and definitely not with a deity.
Stop being so scared! God is not required for the hypothesis!
Stop trembling! It makes you atheist A-holes say such stupid things.
Well you admit it a hypothesis, but more importantly is a a hypothesis based on
unfalsifiable claims. That means it's not only a failed hypothesis, it's not even scientific.
In reality ID looks for unexplained phenomena in biology and paint's it with impossible numerical odds, irreducible complexity, fine-tuning and then argues it can't be explained by natural selection or natural means. This has been shown to be false in every case.
In fact it has already been falsified, but that doesn't stop the 00 Buck's from proselytizing it's pseudoscience.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218175 Mar 11, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>Can you have a Big Bang without having a cause or initiating action?

We consider the BB a valid theory. Cosmological physics, even Stephen Hawking, admits we don't know the cause.

A designer, same as the cause of the BB, can be implied, but it's nature and identity are not required for the theory to advance.

Being a slip-and-fall attorney, I don't expect you to understand how evidence works. But what I'm telling you here is valid science.

I know you are terrified by ID and hate it because you think it might suggest God exists. But let's just follow the evidence.
If time did not exist before the Big Bang, in other words there WAS no "before" the Big Bang, then no cause was required.

The same can't be said of design needing a designer.

Fennario

#218176 Mar 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I drove the speed limit yesterday, fulfilling the law regulating speed.
Is that what you think Jesus did and reported? If so, your god isn't much brighter than you are.

You didn't fulfill a law, you fulfilled the requirements of the law. You complied with the law when you fulfilled its requirements. You simply can't fulfill a law.

And if you had fulfilled it - whatever that means - is the speeding law is no longer in effect?
KiMare wrote:
I'm not trying to embarrass idiots ... Smirk
"Idiot" is a little harsh. You just have bad luck with thinking.

Location hidden

#218177 Mar 11, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Why not ask some priests? Or do you think it's ok when it's with children and in the name of "god"?
I think gay pedophiles using the Church as a cover is despicable.

But they are not the only ones who use the sacred as a cover for the carnal, are they?

A rational person would separate the baby from the bathwater. Just not a 'rational atheist' oxymoron...

Smirk.

Fennario

#218178 Mar 11, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
Atheism was the default position long before religion was manufactured. Only the WORD for atheism was manufactured, necessarily, after religion was MANufactured.
Do you know about retronyms? Once upon a time, what we call acoustic guitars were just called guitars. Then came electric guitars, and that older type of guitar became the acoustic guitar. Likewise, once snow skiing was just skiing - until water skiing came along. Consider phrases like analog clock and cloth diaper, which were just clocks and diapers until digital clocks and disposable paper diapers came along. A more modern one is brick and mortar store.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218179 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>Do you know about retronyms? Once upon a time, what we call acoustic guitars were just called guitars. Then came electric guitars, and that older type of guitar became the acoustic guitar. Likewise, once snow skiing was just skiing - until water skiing came along. Consider phrases like analog clock and cloth diaper, which were just clocks and diapers until digital clocks and disposable paper diapers came along. A more modern one is brick and mortar store.
Well, NOW I do.

:)

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#218180 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>Is that what you think Jesus did and reported? If so, your god isn't much brighter than you are.

You didn't fulfill a law, you fulfilled the requirements of the law. You complied with the law when you fulfilled its requirements. You simply can't fulfill a law.

And if you had fulfilled it - whatever that means - is the speeding law is no longer in effect?

KiMare wrote, " I'm not trying to embarrass idiots ... Smirk"

That speeding analogy was mine.

Your explanation is much better.

Fennario

#218181 Mar 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I think gay pedophiles using the Church as a cover is despicable. Smirk.
The Roman Catholic Church creates situational man-boy pedophiles with its policies. The "cover" come later when the RCC commits the crime of obstruction of justice.

What do you think the charge and penalty should be for a parent who leaves a boy alone with a Catholic priest who then rapes that boy?

Location hidden

#218182 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>
Is that what you think Jesus did and reported? If so, your god isn't much brighter than you are.
<quoted text>
~What you or I believe Jesus did is not the issue. I've already exposed the idiocy of your opinions about God numerous times.

~Childish word games. If I fulfill all the 'requirements' of a law, then I have fulfilled the law.

~However, you bring up an interesting distinction. A law that dictates repetitive actions, to be fulfilled over and over, and a law that fulfills a requirement in a single act.

~So when the Bible says Christ 'fulfilled the Law', what specific single requirement is it referring to?

~And when Paul writes, "The entire Law is fulfilled in this one commandment." What repetitive act is he referring to?

Or are once again these questions too difficult for a 'rational atheist' oxymoron to answer?

Smile.
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#218183 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus fulfilled the old laws.
This is a concept beyond you, I think.
There isnt any evidence that this Jesus character even existed, or .Moses or Muhammad.

The concept of organized superstition is alive and well with you however.

Don't you ever tire of making excuses?

Why not set a new standard for the world and produce infallible proof of your hero?

Why even this alleged diety could help if she wanted to!

I find it curious these Gods love to play with their alleged creations. Acts pretty much like a child with toys. epic fail for a serious God.

Will all Christians share paradise with Muslim martyrs and Jewish martyrs Buddhist and Hindus?

How many heavens exist according to the religious? Are they all the same?

Are these paradise's (afterlife domiciles) mutually shared by other cults. That would make rather interesting bedfellows in the never never land!

It amazes me on the amount of time religious followers spend in supporting their beliefs. They pray, chant, preach, sing hymns, bow, mumble, kneel, make unnatural movements with their bodies, wear special garments, lockets, do fast, visit swamis and gurus, visit extremely hard to reach 'religious' places, do pilgrimage, rituals etc.

But is there any evidence that these activities promote the personal well-being of a person and give positive results?

The answer is not No, but HELL NO!

Location hidden

#218184 Mar 11, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
That speeding analogy was mine.
Your explanation is much better.
Um,''rational atheist' oxymoron honey,

she gave no analogy.

Snicker.

Location hidden

#218185 Mar 11, 2014
<quoted text>
The Roman Catholic Church creates situational man-boy pedophiles with its policies. The "cover" come later when the RCC commits the crime of obstruction of justice.
What do you think the charge and penalty should be for a parent who leaves a boy alone with a Catholic priest who then rapes that boy?
~Are you asserting that homosexuality is a choice?

~Your ignorance of faith is once again exposed. No one forces a man into the Priesthood.

~Any moral person would decry the shame of covering the crime of sodomy.

~The depravity of a 'rational atheist' oxymoron is exposed by your blaming the victims rather than the perpetrator. Despicable.
OG Kush

Jacksonville, FL

#218186 Mar 11, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Vamos a probar esto, para la gente con problemas lik que no saben discernir edad, de nuevo, adeudados de pagado, incompletas y completas.
Aquí hay una ley. Saber de dónde viene?
"Si algún esclavo resiste a su amo, corregir tal esclavo, y deberá pasar a ser asesinados en dicha corrección el capitán deberá estar libre de todo tipo de castigo, como si tal accidente nunca hubiera ocurrido."
Es una ley. Está escrito. Es estadounidense.
Usted es americano.
Por lo tanto, de acuerdo con Topix Ateo! lógica, debe seguir esa ley y debe poseer un esclavo.
Apology accepted.
Es mejor guardar silencio y ser pensado un tonto que hablar hacia fuera y quitar toda duda.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#218187 Mar 11, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>I think gay pedophiles using the Church as a cover is despicable.

But they are not the only ones who use the sacred as a cover for the carnal, are they?

A rational person would separate the baby from the bathwater. Just not a 'rational atheist' oxymoron...

Smirk.
Priests are all gay? I don't know about that, many like little girls as well.

Kudos for being aware of the sickness that courses through the bowels of your church.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Pinkwater 110,147
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Devil number 666 982,282
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 14 min Ancestry manager 6,221
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr Jolly Roger 286,304
News Hawaiians to Attorney General Sessions: We're n... 1 hr Trump s Birtherex... 10
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr Phooey 675,539
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 3 hr True Gods Child 46,191
More from around the web