Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#217919 Mar 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
Did you learn a lot about your naval? I have an "inny". That's about all I know about it. Oh, and it catches lint.
omphaloskepsis - contemplation of the navel

“LOL Really?”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#217920 Mar 9, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. all things are part of nature ..
.. we cannot know the true nature of self through pure intellect or religious dogmatism ..
.. for me, skepticism to both positions is an honest philosophical position. Abrahamic religions are morally and psychologically corrupt, pure reason and science fails to explain cause and effect ..
Feel free to explore my nature all you want.

I have a new tat. It's written in braille. Close your eyes and see if you can find it and read it.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#217921 Mar 9, 2014
scaritual wrote:

LOL. I know a guy named Murray who looks a lot like that.

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217922 Mar 9, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll accept that. I don't have a need to find fault with them that isn't there. I like Minnich as well. I even like Behe somewhat, but not Dembski. I didn't like his vise strategy bravado combined with his unwillingness to testify in what was a very low risk environment for him. I don't see any of them as bad men or inherently corrupt.
I agree, too, Dembski and Stephen Meyer should have testified. Minnich and Behe stuck their necks out, and paid a price. Dembski and Meyer are pretty humorless. Behe has a sense of humor, seems like an amiable guy.

There's a somewhat interesting display of a debate hosted by Bill Buckley with Behe, Phillip Johnson, and David Berlinski on one side, Ken Miller, Barry Lynd, Michael Ruse, and a lady, possibly Barbara Forest. Video is not good. But it's interesting. More about creationism than ID. But a good-natured discussion.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#217923 Mar 9, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Now put those two thoughts together.

A judgment by you of all Christians based on an African cult that clearly and obviously violates Christian doctrine.

Once again, a 'rational humanist' oxymoron.

A Kleenex for you and toilet paper for me.

Smirk.
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't the bible day to kill witches?
Please give the New Testament verse.

Smile.

Location hidden

#217924 Mar 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It depends.
LOL

Location hidden

#217925 Mar 9, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Yep. You bored me to tears and then crapped yourself again.
You're not a quick study, are you?
Yeah, that's what's happening according to a 'rational atheist' oxymoron.

Smile.

Location hidden

#217926 Mar 9, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Kimare is a barbarian.
http://i1246.photobucket.com/albums/gg601/sca...
A redeemed cynic who remains barbarian.

Smile.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#217927 Mar 9, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Feel free to explore my nature all you want.
I have a new tat. It's written in braille. Close your eyes and see if you can find it and read it.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#217928 Mar 9, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
do not blame god for the rape of the alter boys
blame the parents, who send them to be raped
I blame the perpetrators. The parents are victims of their own brainwashing.

Colm O'Gorman's autobiography was a shocking, but interesting, read.

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#217929 Mar 9, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, the 'rational atheist' oxymoron. Can't provide a rational answer, so he reverts to personal attacks.
Yes, you always do.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Man up honey.
Smile.
Ahh, but you're not a real man.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#217930 Mar 9, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck has been successful in accomplishing much more with you than he has with me.(For that, I tip my hat to him.)
I see ID as a totally dishonest attempt to introduce religion into the public schools. Period. The "scientists" who support this movement are complicit.
Should the materialism of Darwinism, as it rules out a god, be forced out of public schools on the grounds of violating neutrality toward religion?

It does violate neutrality, obviously. What to do?

We have the predominant religions in America saying God created Adam and Eve, and all foul of the air, beasts of the field.

Darwinism says no, it didn't happen that way. The beasts came first, millions of years before Adam.

So it has to go, right Counselor? That proposition cannot possibly be neutral toward religion.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#217931 Mar 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Should the materialism of Darwinism, as it rules out a god, be forced out of public schools on the grounds of violating neutrality toward religion?
It does violate neutrality, obviously. What to do?
We have the predominant religions in America saying God created Adam and Eve, and all foul of the air, beasts of the field.
Darwinism says no, it didn't happen that way. The beasts came first, millions of years before Adam.
So it has to go, right Counselor? That proposition cannot possibly be neutral toward religion.
Buck, I'll state my view, but won't belabor it: Religion has no place in our public schools. English, history, math, science, physical education, woodshop, yes. Religion, no. I don't consider creationism to be science and it doesn't fit into any of the other categories. I don't consider Intelligent Design to be science and it doesn't fit into any of the other categories--it's religion, thinly masked.

"Neutrality," whatever you may mean by the term, has nothing to do with it for me. My view is that there should be no government entanglement with religion, and to permit religion to be taught in the public schools is indeed entanglement.

I'm all in favor of what you propose, but only in private schools. The government should not interfere with the teaching of religion in private schools.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#217932 Mar 9, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck has been successful in accomplishing much more with you than he has with me.(For that, I tip my hat to him.)
I see ID as a totally dishonest attempt to introduce religion into the public schools. Period. The "scientists" who support this movement are complicit.
Objection, Your Honor. Counsel is alluding to facts not in evidence.

The ID scientists not only are not complicit, they, along with the Discovery Institute, OPPOSE requiring Intelligent Design to be taught in school. They also opposed the school board action which gave rise to the Kitzmiller lawsuit and trial.

Discovery Institute:. "Should public schools require the teaching of intelligent design?
No. Instead of mandating intelligent design, Discovery Institute recommends that states and school districts focus on teaching students more about evolutionary theory, including telling them about some of the theory's problems that have been discussed in peer-reviewed science journals."

Judge: "Objection sustained, Buck"

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#217933 Mar 9, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>Now put those two thoughts together.

A judgment by you of all Christians based on an African cult that clearly and obviously violates Christian doctrine.

Once again, a 'rational humanist' oxymoron.

A Kleenex for you and toilet paper for me.

Smirk.

Please give the New Testament verse.

Smile.
So you have thrown out the Old Testament?

The one that Jesus came to fulfill?

Every jot and tittle?

Burp.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#217934 Mar 9, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck: "Your honor, I also object on the grounds that ID theory is not religious, and has no religous component whatsoever. If Counsel knows of a religious component to the scientific hypothesis, I would like for him to present it, or stop alluding to it".

Judge: "Buck, I already sustained your objection. You can't object again. So sit down".

Buck: "Sorry, your honor. I was on a roll".

Judge: "I understand, Buck. This is the first time you've been in here without shackles."

Buck: "Without who?"

Judge: "Just sit, Buck".
Moocaca

Saint Paul, MN

#217935 Mar 9, 2014
Lets see Athiests have groups, get together and share beliefs and now want to control how people express their beliefs. Sounds like a bunch of hypocrites to me.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#217936 Mar 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck: "Your honor, I also object on the grounds that ID theory is not religious, and has no religous component whatsoever. If Counsel knows of a religious component to the scientific hypothesis, I would like for him to present it, or stop alluding to it".
Judge: "Buck, I already sustained your objection. You can't object again. So sit down".
Buck: "Sorry, your honor. I was on a roll".
Judge: "I understand, Buck. This is the first time you've been in here without shackles."
Buck: "Without who?"
Judge: "Just sit, Buck".
"Moreover, it is a transcendent design, not reducible to the physical world. Indeed, no intelligent agent who is strictly physical could have presided over the origin of the universe or the origin of life." - William Dembski

"Intelligent design is just the Logos theology of John's Gospel restated in the idiom of information theory" - William Dembski

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#217937 Mar 9, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Objection, Your Honor. Counsel is alluding to facts not in evidence.
The ID scientists not only are not complicit, they, along with the Discovery Institute, OPPOSE requiring Intelligent Design to be taught in school. They also opposed the school board action which gave rise to the Kitzmiller lawsuit and trial.
Discovery Institute:. "Should public schools require the teaching of intelligent design?
No. Instead of mandating intelligent design, Discovery Institute recommends that states and school districts focus on teaching students more about evolutionary theory, including telling them about some of the theory's problems that have been discussed in peer-reviewed science journals."
Judge: "Objection sustained, Buck"
Mandated or not, religion has no place in our public schools.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#217938 Mar 9, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Mandated or not, religion has no place in our public schools.
Even if you call it science and history.

In as much as public funds pay for a lot of private school tuitions, it should not be allowed in private schools either.(IE: School Vouchers) They don't pay taxes but want taxes to pay for their schools.

A pack of thieves and nothing more.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min kent 695,769
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 10 min River Boat Gambler 60,405
Sexual Desires: My wife pooping in my mouth (Aug '13) 18 min KeepitDL 41
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 1 hr That Much Olde Sc... 2,506
Is America 'Mystery Babylon,' mentioned in the ... 1 hr That Much Olde Sc... 21
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Feb 2018 993,849
Prove there is No God 3 hr Tellthetruth 7
wierd situation with my mom. (Jul '14) Feb 19 Pimpy 23
More from around the web