Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258482 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#217608 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
HOW AN ATHEIST FOUND GOD
A personal account from an atheist who was convinced no god exists, and what facts led to God.
http://www.everystudent.com/wires/atheist.htm...
Let's just say I'm skeptical.

Why?

Because I have heard Christians make this claim before, and they were lying out of their arse. They had never been atheists, or even anything close to atheist.

Ergo, sans corroboration, I don't buy this "testimony".

Note the part: "I concluded that the evidence for God was so strong that it made more sense to believe in God than to believe he wasn't there."

What is this evidence? He doesn't say. Why? Because there really isn't any.

Likely this is one of those fables that Christians tell each other because it is what they want to hear.

In fact, going back and rereading it, it fails to ring true in any way. This is, I strongly suspect, pure BS.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#217609 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So the clergy became atheists but continued on to become clergy?
How did they continue on to become clergy if they were already clergy?
Dumb atheist.
You might actually listen to the interview and learn a few things. Or not. I understand that it might threaten your belief system to hear actual facts.

As for your last comment...gee...a clergyman at some point in his life became a clergyman. Imagine that.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#217610 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
So the clergy became atheists but continued on to become clergy?
How did they continue on to become clergy if they were already clergy?
Dumb atheist.
Can't you read?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217611 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Koine IS Greek, you moron.
BenAdam wrote:
Koine is Ancient Greek you twit.
That's what I just taught you.

Your trip to the googlers confirms that.

You're welcome, purfesir.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#217612 Mar 7, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You want him to post pictures of his sex partners ?
LOL
Hold on there, Ben.

RR has admitted to sex with a dog and a cat.

He denies that he had sex with a chicken.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217613 Mar 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You might actually listen to the interview and learn a few things. Or not. I understand that it might threaten your belief system to hear actual facts.
As for your last comment...gee...a clergyman at some point in his life became a clergyman. Imagine that.
No sir.

You wrote:

"A lot of these clergy became atheists in seminary...because of what they were learning in seminary...yet continued on to become clergy anyway."

So the clergy were already clergy by your own words. Then the clergy BECAME atheists. Then they continued to be BECOME clergy.

How's that?
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#217614 Mar 7, 2014
911 Museum use of a steel crossbeam.

“American Atheists will argue before the Second Circuit Court of Appeals on Thursday that the cross does not belong in the private 9/11 museum, which will open on property leased from the government.” Scott Stump TODAY contributor


The crossbeam stood out among the debris field on 9/11. Does separation from church and state mean separation from history?

The crossbeam was not made as a religious symbol but as major supports for the now fallen Twin Towers. Atheist are going to lose this battle. And lose ground with the general public that they are trying to win over.

Because the American Atheist have made this challenge in the courts. It’s going to make the crossbeam more prominent than it already was. Atheism always seem to help Christianity regardless of what they do.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#217615 Mar 7, 2014
Yes, Koine DID use punctuation and the Early MT manuscripts used them:

"Punctuation in Early 2 Greek New Testament Texts
It is because popular and still-circulating Trinitarian apologetic works, Greek grammars, and
works on the language and text of the NT often fail to completely or accurately inform others
about significant occurrences and the likely intended use of punctuation marks in ancient Greek
texts. Consider the following example:
In ancient Greek there were no punctuation marks; indeed, all words were run together with
no spaces between them and using all capital letters.3
As Comfort writes on the same page of his 2005 book (quoted and referenced on page 1),“This
is far from the truth.” In fact, if Bowman had simply reviewed some of the very Greek grammars
which he cited two years earlier in one of his 1989 publications,4 he may not have so wrongly
stated the matter concerning punctuation marks in ancient Greek."

Full text:

http://www.google.com/url...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217616 Mar 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's just say I'm skeptical.
Why?
Because I have heard Christians make this claim before, and they were lying out of their arse. They had never been atheists, or even anything close to atheist.
Ergo, sans corroboration, I don't buy this "testimony".
Note the part: "I concluded that the evidence for God was so strong that it made more sense to believe in God than to believe he wasn't there."
What is this evidence? He doesn't say. Why? Because there really isn't any.
Likely this is one of those fables that Christians tell each other because it is what they want to hear.
In fact, going back and rereading it, it fails to ring true in any way. This is, I strongly suspect, pure BS.
You're not skeptical, you're stupid.

But hey, blinders work on horses, too.

"Antony Flew, a British philosopher born in 1923, had found God after six decades of atheism."

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/books/revie...

"The Atheist Theology Student Who Was Found by God"

http://www.holybible.com/resources/bethel_sto...

"Former atheists who found God"

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...

You know what? Instead of posting the thousands and thousands of testimonials, here, let me google that for you and save you the trouble.

http://lmgtfy.com/...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217617 Mar 7, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Can't you read?
No.

Can you?

Dilbert wrote:
"A lot of these clergy became atheists in seminary...because of what they were learning in seminary...yet continued on to become clergy anyway."

So the clergy were already clergy by his own words. Then the clergy BECAME atheists. Then they continued to be BECOME clergy.

One can't BE a clergy and continue to BECOME a clergy.

Dumb atheists.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#217618 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Dilbert, a play. And yes, you're delusional.
I posted this to you earlier:
"On Tuesday, Barry issued a news release explaining that his deputies are not “bad guys” who interrupted church services to arrest local pastors. Instead, the arrests were simulated as a prelude to an upcoming production at the Akron Civic Theatre."
http://www.ohio.com/news/break-news/fake-arre...
Did you miss it the second time? Here's a third:
"the arrests were simulated as a prelude to an upcoming production at the Akron Civic Theatre."
You posted it as if it was a true story. You even acted shocked and surprised with your "wow".
The one wow I wish to comment on is that 2 of the deputies were volunteering on their day off, but 2 of them where actually on duty and I don't go for wasting taxpayers dollars paying a deputy to be doing things not pertaining to real law inforcement.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217619 Mar 7, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
Yes, Koine DID use punctuation and the Early MT manuscripts used them:
"Punctuation in Early 2 Greek New Testament Texts
It is because popular and still-circulating Trinitarian apologetic works, Greek grammars, and
works on the language and text of the NT often fail to completely or accurately inform others
about significant occurrences and the likely intended use of punctuation marks in ancient Greek
texts. Consider the following example:
In ancient Greek there were no punctuation marks; indeed, all words were run together with
no spaces between them and using all capital letters.3
As Comfort writes on the same page of his 2005 book (quoted and referenced on page 1),“This
is far from the truth.” In fact, if Bowman had simply reviewed some of the very Greek grammars
which he cited two years earlier in one of his 1989 publications,4 he may not have so wrongly
stated the matter concerning punctuation marks in ancient Greek."
Full text:
http://www.googl.com/url...
LOL

The googlers are you friend, eh?

You'd think a person that must've spent 40 years of his life in college wouldn't need the googlers to help him find information.

Ya know....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217620 Mar 7, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
The one wow I wish to comment on is that 2 of the deputies were volunteering on their day off, but 2 of them where actually on duty and I don't go for wasting taxpayers dollars paying a deputy to be doing things not pertaining to real law inforcement.
Cool.

I'll see your wow and raise you a holy shit.

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#217621 Mar 7, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
Can you?
Dilbert wrote:
"A lot of these clergy became atheists in seminary...because of what they were learning in seminary...yet continued on to become clergy anyway."
So the clergy were already clergy by his own words. Then the clergy BECAME atheists. Then they continued to be BECOME clergy.
One can't BE a clergy and continue to BECOME a clergy.
Dumb atheists.
Read DS's post once more.

This time though, read it very, very carefully.

If you still can't find where you're making a mistake, I'll help you.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217622 Mar 7, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Read DS's post once more.
This time though, read it very, very carefully.
If you still can't find where you're making a mistake, I'll help you.
Oh no.

My Spidey sense tells me there's some Feltcher advice coming......
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#217623 Mar 7, 2014

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#217624 Mar 7, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Did you want to make an argument or even a bare claim to go with this? Were you defending Luther?
If you looked at the link, then you'd know the location of that quote is unknown.

If you read my response later, you'd know I certainly didn't defend ML.

If you had an ounce of common sense or an iota of reason, you'd know that any learned person of faith knew of ML's faults, but moreover doesn't trust ANY person to be faultless.

But the corker is, I simply requested the context of the quote.

All you did was make stupid assertions and make more unreferenced quotes.

You are consistently the 'rational humanist' oxymoron...

Smile.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217625 Mar 7, 2014
ChristINSANITY is EVIL wrote:
My dog's an atheist.

So is my patio furniture.

Congrats.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#217626 Mar 7, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
wow! Luther was a jerk, a bigot and a general scumbag!
I had no idea. Thank you :)
Ah, the classic hypocrite response.

Now you know everything you need to know about ML, right?

Smirk.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#217627 Mar 7, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
KiMare, IANS did provide the source...Martin Luther. If you want to verify those quotes (there is that "verify" again) you can use Google.
For example...
I googled "What harm would it do, if a man told a good strong lie" and got lots of sites, including...
http://beggarsallreformation.blogspot.com/201...
This took less than a minute.
Um, I was speaking of context. What writing was that supposedly a quote from.

You girls just got in trouble because you used giving statistics that were unvalidated.

Gotta love the 'rational atheist' oxymorons...

SMirk.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bring the jobs back to the USA! 13 min Mike Frett 660
Poll What's the most exotic/hottest mixed race group? (Jan '13) 2 hr Doctor REALITY 23
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 2 hr Quirky 42,522
Are your Topix comments helping...or hurting ot... 2 hr Doctor REALITY 4
Why it's high time to get rid of billionaires 3 hr Paul McCartney is... 65
Am I Starting To Like My Step-Cousin? 4 hr IDontWantThis 1
HOLLYWOOD striving to delete prayer from scripts 5 hr haha 2
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 hr Robert F 690,621
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 15 hr Aura Mytha 989,879
More from around the web