Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258485 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#217360 Mar 6, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I'm a trumpet player, brass players are known for their great lung capacity, I'll start now and let you know when I have to take a breath, go get some possum pie and some moonshine, this could take awhile.
So you can blow for a long time.

Good to know. I'm sure that'll benefit you someday.

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#217361 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't cowboy justice, it's warfare.
In war, there needs to be no trial.
Sorry, you lost perspective here, war isn't justice.
We seek justice first, and anything else is a circumvention of it.
No matter what the stated reason .

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217362 Mar 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Give RR a hug for me, will you?
And tell me, with Dave's departure, is the Redneck now the second smartest person on the thread?
Can't say. But we all know the King.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#217363 Mar 6, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
So you agree, when God ordered the killing of people because of their belief he was wrong.
Yes. If God did that, it was wrong.

By any sense of right and wrong we are able to discern, that would be wrong.

I would not do that. If God did that, I am better than God.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#217364 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't cowboy justice, it's warfare.
In war, there needs to be no trial.
You sound just like Hitler.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#217365 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. If God did that, it was wrong.
By any sense of right and wrong we are able to discern, that would be wrong.
I would not do that. If God did that, I am better than God.
Most humans have higher morals and ethics than 'Bible God'.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217366 Mar 6, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
Sorry, you lost perspective here, war isn't justice.
We seek justice first, and anything else is a circumvention of it.
No matter what the stated reason .
The Allied war vs the Axis was indeed justice.

There are many examples of warfare being used to promote the ultimate good.

An enemy combatant does not get a trial.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#217367 Mar 6, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
Most humans have higher morals and ethics than 'Bible God'.
I cannot be proud of my morals and ethics.

I can only say I'm better than I used to be.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#217368 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Allied war vs the Axis was indeed justice.
There are many examples of warfare being used to promote the ultimate good.
An enemy combatant does not get a trial.
So when the government proclaims you to be an enemy combatant, because you protest something . Where does your patriotism go then?

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#217369 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you add in the "helpless" before motorist? What makes you assume he was helpless? Maybe because you assume I overpowered him to the point of freezing his nerves or something...
Either way, you're a disgusting liar and a whiny little boy.
Give me that coveted Feltcher white sheet anytime you're ready.
The motorist was helpless, going by your story: He sat inside the car, and you attacked with a deadly weapon.

I understand that you'd appreciate the Catcher White Sheet.

Sorry. You're too much fun to goof on, and I don't want to put you out of your misery.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#217370 Mar 6, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I cannot be proud of my morals and ethics.
I can only say I'm better than I used to be.
The precise opposite is true of my athletic prowess.

The older I get, the better I used to be.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217371 Mar 6, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
So when the government proclaims you to be an enemy combatant, because you protest something . Where does your patriotism go then?
The US government would never consider me an enemy combatant.

SCOTUS: 317 U.S. 1, 37-38 (1942):“Citizens who associate themselves with the military arm of the enemy government, and with its aid, guidance and direction enter this country bent on hostile acts are enemy belligerents within the meaning of the Hague Convention and the law of war.”

There are actually two forms of enemy combatants, lawful and unlawful. Lawful combatants get POW status, unlawful combatants do not.

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#217372 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
SCOTUS: 317 U.S. 1, 37-38 (1942):“Citizens who associate themselves with the military arm of the enemy government, and with its aid, guidance and direction enter this country bent on hostile acts are enemy belligerents within the meaning of the Hague Convention and the law of war.”
There are actually two forms of enemy combatants, lawful and unlawful. Lawful combatants get POW status, unlawful combatants do not.
That's your theory, but the current administration is trying hard to label you a terrorist threat to America.
http://thetruthwins.com/archives/72-types-of-...

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217373 Mar 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
The motorist was helpless, going by your story: He sat inside the car, and you attacked with a deadly weapon.
Sorry. You're too much fun to goof on, and I don't want to put you out of your misery.
I got out of my truck, he didn't get out of his car.

The only thing that stopped him from getting out of his car was fear. He was not helpless, as you claimed. He was a coward, a big mouth and a tough guy driving down the and a little bitch-boi when the traffic stopped.

Kinda reminds me of what you would do.

Uh-oh..... Feltcher1 wants to put me out of my misery.... Reading too much Harris, I see.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217374 Mar 6, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
That's your theory, but the current administration is trying hard to label you a terrorist threat to America.
http://thetruthwins.com/archives/72-types-of-...
Oh. That.

I'm sorry my friend, I have more faith in this great country. Freedom, liberty and justice will prevail.

No matter how many liberals I have to shoot for their thoughts...

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#217375 Mar 6, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
If you're going to talk about Al Qaeda being separate from its religion, you're going to have to talk about World Systems, power and, specifically, Western power and Western aims. At some point, you're going to have to breach Chomsky.
"What was it that Noam Chomsky said about eating pussy?" ~Zach Galifianakis
Hidingfromyou wrote:
I already disagree with Harris. Imo, his moral argument fails. I merely provided an example where it succeeds - I'd shoot anyone who threatened my family with a lethal weapon, despite not knowing whether they'd used it in the past. But there's a lot in my example that Harris isn't taking into consideration - like emotional responses, real feelings of danger. No one, even in "Real Politics" makes decisions entirely devoid of emotion.
I already talked about how he lacked a historical perspective in his example, too. History provides context, it is half of everything.
I can think of examples where I agree with the principle of his statement. When it comes to using it to decide whether or not to kill someone, my priorities would lead me in a different direction. I think I'd rather be killed by a bad guy than make a mistake and kill someone who wouldn't have hurt me, or kill someone who I could have stopped with non lethal means. To me, killing in self defense may be justifiable, but I see it as a failure to find a good solution.

I think when it comes to promoting solutions to problems in the world, those who can should be promoting the ideal versions for the world that we wish existed. There will always be people that will try to maintain the status quo.

You're definitely right about context. I've given this further thought. What may be ethical to do in principle, when you're working with solid information, in very limited circumstances, should not be confused with a large scale systematic solution.

I hope you're still around to read this. It's been nice having you here.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#217376 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The quote says "belligerents," not "combatants."

I suggest a two-week period of heated argument on the possible distinction between the two words.

Buck will love it, although there may be two problems: First, your mentor Buck has issues with Supreme Court pronouncements. Second, the case you cite (without a title) is from 1942, way too recent for Buck.

Catcher1

Fremont, CA

#217377 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I got out of my truck, he didn't get out of his car.
The only thing that stopped him from getting out of his car was fear. He was not helpless, as you claimed. He was a coward, a big mouth and a tough guy driving down the and a little bitch-boi when the traffic stopped.
Kinda reminds me of what you would do.
Uh-oh..... Feltcher1 wants to put me out of my misery.... Reading too much Harris, I see.
You need to learn to read. I said I DON'T want to put you out of your misery:

Catcher1 wrote:

I accept your apology, but please dude, you're working on a cylinder and a half, make sure you concentrate!

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#217378 Mar 6, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You need to learn to read. I said I DON'T want to put you out of your misery:
Catcher1 wrote:
I accept your apology, but please dude, you're working on a cylinder and a half, make sure you concentrate!
Why do you want to put me out of my misery? You hate me that much?

Think about the children, man!

“ad victoriam”

arte et marte

#217379 Mar 6, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. That.
I'm sorry my friend, I have more faith in this great country. Freedom, liberty and justice will prevail.
No matter how many liberals I have to shoot for their thoughts...
LOL you may be on the hit list already.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min kent 687,395
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 8 min Mr Wiggley 31,480
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 23 min speedyj1992 987,394
Trump: "Get that Son of a B- - - - off the fiel... 58 min HFCS - What It Is 2
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 4 hr Peter Ross 6,492
the REAL reasons O.J. Simpson beat murder charges 5 hr Doctor REALITY 31
News Abortion issue looms over Supreme Court choice (May '09) 6 hr Ricky F 2,335
More from around the web