Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Read more

“Why does my ignorance”

Since: Mar 11

justify your deity?

#217009 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing your beliefs.
<quoted text>
What isn't?
<quoted text>
I don't like the term 'no offense' when someone's about to say done thing offensive, so I won't.
Fuckyou, I can practice my religion anywhere I want, not just in my home.
You can do whatever you want. The damaging parts of your religion needs to be attacked and removed - especially the gross ignorance you personally continue to spread.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217010 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Bull. The theory of evolution states that all life came from one life, the common ancestor. That cannot be tested
<quoted text>
Can it be tested?
Has it been tested?
I'd love to see your results.
It's been tested over and over. The information is available for anyone who can read - and there's no excuse for the kind of stupidity and ignorance you, and other religious people, continue to espouse.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217011 Mar 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
WARNING
If we object to the Redneck's claim, be careful.
He has a tendency to become violent.
Good. It just demonstrates his character more and doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Hi Catch! I hope you are well :)

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217012 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
BOOM! There it is.
You wanna talk about how the Bible instructs to kill and them take Harris' advice and kill me before I have a chance to kill.
You're a fucking lunatic. The Bible does not instruct a Christian to kill. But you and the other Harris followers will interpret it the way they want in order to justify murder and, given the proper authority, genocide.
Your mythological text orders genocides and murders all throughout the older parts of it.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217013 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If I believed it, Harris and his ilk would back you for killing me.
That's a stupid comment.

How can you be this stupid?

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217014 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
This is, actually, incorrect. ToE only points to the diversification of life and how that happens. The existence of a LUCA is a likely conclusion given the similarities we see in existing life. It is not an axiom as you are saying.
And, no, "that pesky common ancestor thingymabob remains undetected and likely is undetectable. That's one big giant fuckingguess" is not a guess. It just so happens that we have very very little geology that dates back farther than 3 billion years. And microbes don't fossilize well at all. Put these two facts together and it is likely we will never have fossil evidence of the earliest life. Is this so hard to grasp?
RR has been told this over and over. He doesn't care anything about science or learning how science actually works, he just wants to put his ignorance on display.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217015 Mar 5, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
RR probably thinks that fossils are the only way of testing for LUCA. This just shows RR's lack of imagination.
RR doesn't know the first thing about fossils. I explained to him just how much information we can pull from fossils once and a few months later he was making the same stupid claims about them.

He needs his blinders on - it's the only way for him to maintain his religious belief system.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217016 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Considering it ethical to kill people for considering their belief to be dangerous is tantamount to insanity.
Wow! This is like the most sensible post I've read from you.

Harris doesn't argue that we should kill people for having beliefs. I'm not sure where you're getting that from. He did make a immoral, ridiculous argument advocating torture in the face of certain terrorism. But he never said "kill people for their beliefs."

His message is "we need to spread education and get people to question their beliefs. Faith based religion is not sacred, we can and must question it."

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217017 Mar 5, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
It isn't a new development.
"The atheist may however be, and not infrequently is, an agnostic. There is an agnostic atheism or atheistic agnosticism, and the combination of atheism with agnosticism which may be so named is not an uncommon one" - Robert Flint, in his Croall Lecture of 1887–1888
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agnostic_atheism
For the record, I'm just a straight out atheist. I believe all the evidence points to no deities and I absolutely believe there are none.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217018 Mar 5, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
time would fail and computers couldn't hold all the accounts of gaytheists gone mad so let's not be smug about the few charlatains who feign using the Name of the Lord for personal gain:-)
Wow, still a bigot, huh.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#217019 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Good. It just demonstrates his character more and doesn't bother me in the slightest.
Hi Catch! I hope you are well :)
Hey Hiding.

I'm well, and grateful for your visit.

Don't be a stranger.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217020 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A $5 tip for a $22 meal isn't paltry. I used to work in the restaurant industry, trust me I know. Most people would tip, if at all, exactly 15%. For a $22 meal, that's $3.30.
How much would you tip for a $22 meal?
Were you:

1) not a good waiter
2) in a restaurant w/bad food
3) in a relatively poorer city
4) in a low class joint?

When I worked as a waiter, I'd pull 5$ on 20$ tables consistently. If you're not making double your hourly wage in tips, you're doing it wrong.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217021 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Is a Haitian pig's ass pork?
Creole pork.

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#217022 Mar 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
At least three theist posters are savaging Harris based on a misrepresentation of one or two comments that I don't believe actually offends any of them. Does anybody really believe that the viper nanoanomaly wouldn't kill half of this thread for their beliefs? Riverside Redneck worships a god that tortures for eternity for thoughts, and Buck seems to hate Harris' thoughts enough to want to smash his face. So all of this outrage at Harris and thought crimes seems a tad insincere.
So what are they all really so angry at him for if not the comment they continually redirect us to? It must be all of the rest, which suggests that Harris' arguments are hitting home with believers as well. I admire the man tremendously:
This is the kind of thing that they really object to:
“Religion tells us that sin is what justifies eternal punishment in the next life…this is, to my mind, the mother of all cultural war issues. This is where science really pulls the keystone out of religion. If you recall the general picture, we’ve all inherited original sin because Adam and Eve misused their free will. For eons, God gave us no guidance whatsoever. Then he wrote a few uneven books that were filled with rumors of ancient miracles. And then he holds us responsible for the slightest doubt we have about his existence on the basis of these books — though he has stacked the deck against us by giving us a faculty of reason and strangely, an ability to write better books than the ones he has supposedly written.”– Sam Harris
"The god that our neighbors believe ...[has] got galaxy upon galaxy to attend to, but he’s especially concerned with what we do, and he’s especially concerned with what we do while naked.”– Sam Harris
"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" - Sam Harris
“The problem with fascism and communism, however, is not that they are too critical of religion; the problem is that they are too much like religions. Such regimes are dogmatic to the core and generally give rise to personality cults that are indistinguishable from cults of religious hero worship ... There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable.”- Sam Harris
”Just as we don’t have Christian physics … and we don’thave Muslim algebra … we at some point will not have Christian or Muslim morality." – Sam Harris
“George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd.”– Sam Harris
Sam Harris and I go way back. I despise the man. I regard him as a dishonorable and deplorable person. He is arrogant, belittling, dishonest, and vastly over-represents his grasp of numerous subjects. As I mentioned, one of the most annoying things is how he seems to get away with ridiculous and dishonest statements by couching them in an earnest, inoffensive, soft-spoken tone. He doesn't hold up well when facing off with a formidable antagonist, but his hypnotic confidence causes all his fans to declare him victorious.

Harris is clever enough to appear often with Michael Shermer. This may be the only one of the New Atheists who makes Harris appear comparatively smart, Shermer being an idiot.

Harris likes to smear people on issues for which he lacks facts. Eben Alexander is a recent case in point. Way back when, he smeared Ayn Rand's philosophy and called her writing "terrible". Then he admitted he hadn't read the work he was referring to.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217023 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
It is beyond human knowledge to know whether his deity exists.
That's a silly claim to make, akin to writing "it's beyond human knowledge to know whether unicorns exist."
I know you've been to some graduate school classes, but I think you are still human.
Thus far.
Since you claim this definitive knowledge, we are left with two alternatives: Either you are supernatural (a god), or you are lying.
I'm betting on the latter.
There are more options than the 2 you listed. In fact, the first one you listed doesn't necessarily hold that I would know anyways. I could be a deity of some other pantheon that isn't omniscient, and so wouldn't know if his deity exists - especially if the universe is filled with deities.

1. omniscient
1a. have some special knowledge of deities
2. lying
3. accurate
4. describing a belief
5. producing a claim, based on the evidence available to me
6. stating an opposite to his belief to start meaningful discussion

Location hidden

#217024 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Creole pork.
I am impressed by the short post.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217025 Mar 5, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't bother. I tried it. She just laid there.
Must have been some other girl. I can't imagine being that boring in bed.

Location hidden

#217026 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Were you:
1) not a good waiter
2) in a restaurant w/bad food
3) in a relatively poorer city
4) in a low class joint?
When I worked as a waiter, I'd pull 5$ on 20$ tables consistently. If you're not making double your hourly wage in tips, you're doing it wrong.
Was that $20 for just the Steam & Cream, or the full laid pipe??

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217027 Mar 5, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
How do I decide?
I don’t decide but remain skeptical of imaginary sciences. Sciences based on guesses and speculation wrapped up in a nice complex worded document or journal.
Just because a so called science article, journal, or document has a dump truck of convoluted words doesn’t mean I believe in it.
You mean "I remain skeptical b/c I don't know anything about science, refuse to learn about them, and think that my imagination of science is accurate and supports my belief system."

Well, you're mistaken.

“Why does my ignorance”

justify your deity?

#217028 Mar 5, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
At least three theist posters are savaging Harris based on a misrepresentation of one or two comments that I don't believe actually offends any of them. Does anybody really believe that the viper nanoanomaly wouldn't kill half of this thread for their beliefs? Riverside Redneck worships a god that tortures for eternity for thoughts, and Buck seems to hate Harris' thoughts enough to want to smash his face. So all of this outrage at Harris and thought crimes seems a tad insincere.
So what are they all really so angry at him for if not the comment they continually redirect us to? It must be all of the rest, which suggests that Harris' arguments are hitting home with believers as well. I admire the man tremendously:
This is the kind of thing that they really object to:
“Religion tells us that sin is what justifies eternal punishment in the next life…this is, to my mind, the mother of all cultural war issues. This is where science really pulls the keystone out of religion. If you recall the general picture, we’ve all inherited original sin because Adam and Eve misused their free will. For eons, God gave us no guidance whatsoever. Then he wrote a few uneven books that were filled with rumors of ancient miracles. And then he holds us responsible for the slightest doubt we have about his existence on the basis of these books — though he has stacked the deck against us by giving us a faculty of reason and strangely, an ability to write better books than the ones he has supposedly written.”– Sam Harris
"The god that our neighbors believe ...[has] got galaxy upon galaxy to attend to, but he’s especially concerned with what we do, and he’s especially concerned with what we do while naked.”– Sam Harris
"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" - Sam Harris
“The problem with fascism and communism, however, is not that they are too critical of religion; the problem is that they are too much like religions. Such regimes are dogmatic to the core and generally give rise to personality cults that are indistinguishable from cults of religious hero worship ... There is no society in human history that ever suffered because its people became too reasonable.”- Sam Harris
”Just as we don’t have Christian physics … and we don’thave Muslim algebra … we at some point will not have Christian or Muslim morality." – Sam Harris
“George Bush says he speaks to god every day, and christians love him for it. If George Bush said he spoke to god through his hair dryer, they would think he was mad. I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more absurd.”– Sam Harris
hahaha, those are awesome.

Clearly Harris is attacking their belief systems, and they can't deal with it. So they make up lies about him, condemning Harris for their lies.

It's great. Lovely to see the religious at their best.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min USA Born 579,596
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min New Age Spiritual... 610,031
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 min Porkpie Hat 270,222
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min waaasssuuup 818,706
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr lovewithin 39,994
Kokopelli's Place, too (Jan '08) 1 hr Jolly 24,067
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr waaasssuuup 441,989
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr Good-Evil 2,073
More from around the web