Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239089 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#216921 Mar 5, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Starting with the Christian President Obama (it must be true he says so and never lies) Strange that he bashes the faith as much as those that hate it and very strange he never gets the wrath that others get. Sure its nothing.
He is as much a Christian a you. You both make a mockery of everything Jesus taught.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#216922 Mar 5, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
If you like your healthcare plan you can keep your healthcare plan. Period.-- President Obama
Mission accomplished ~ George W. Bush

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#216923 Mar 5, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>
This preacher swears by it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =SJy-yAaIds8XX
time would fail and computers couldn't hold all the accounts of gaytheists gone mad so let's not be smug about the few charlatains who feign using the Name of the Lord for personal gain:-)

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216924 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
Do you believe about your deity what Mormons believe about theirs?
I believe....

...."Britney Spears" should be one of Baskin Robbin's 31 flavors.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216925 Mar 5, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
So, basically, as long as they behave as a good little slave, you "reward" them with a paltry payment.
Typical Genuine Christian™-- you have all the empathy of a rock.
It's as I've come to expect from the likes of you.
A $5 tip for a $22 meal isn't paltry. I used to work in the restaurant industry, trust me I know. Most people would tip, if at all, exactly 15%. For a $22 meal, that's $3.30.

How much would you tip for a $22 meal?

“MEET ROSEMARY-She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#216926 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
.. depends. If the waitress is topless, big bucks ..

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#216927 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
"The Red Cross Movement is not a political or religious organisation. This neutrality means that we can reach and offer unconditional help to people in need whoever and wherever they are."
http://www.redcross.org.uk/About-us/Who-we-ar...
Furthermore, you clearly, painfully, know nothing of the history of Haiti and how it was impoverished and attacked by "Christian" nations including the US, UK, Germany and France.
Please read this from one of the greatest humanitarians alive:
http://www.lrb.co.uk/v26/n08/paul-farmer/who-...
"In November 1803 the former slaves won what proved to be the war’s final battle, and on 1 January 1804 declared the independent republic of Haiti. It was Latin America’s first independent country and the only nation ever born of a slave revolt. The Haitian Revolution, Dubois writes, was ‘a dramatic challenge to the world as it then was. Slavery was at the heart of the thriving system of merchant capitalism that was profiting Europe, devastating Africa, and propelling the rapid expansion of the Americas.’ Independent Haiti had few friends. Virtually all the world’s powers sided with France against the self-proclaimed Black Republic, which declared itself a haven not only for runaway slaves but also for indigenous people from the rest of the Americas (the true natives of Haiti had succumbed to infectious disease and Spanish slavery well before the arrival of the French). Hemmed in by slave colonies, Haiti had only one non-colonised neighbour, the slaveholding United States, which refused to recognise its independence."
The US, Germany and the UK constantly undermined Haiti, stealing its treasury by force on multiple occasions. In the 90's, the US destroyed all Haiti's indigenous swine and replaced them with US pigs, which furthered impoverishment since US pigs require high quality foods - not the first time the US has used this kind of tactic.
So...your claims are ill founded, without merit and wallowing in ignorance. How do you justify your manhood?
Is a Haitian pig's ass pork?

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#216928 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
A $5 tip for a $22 meal isn't paltry. I used to work in the restaurant industry, trust me I know. Most people would tip, if at all, exactly 15%. For a $22 meal, that's $3.30.
Working people tip better than professionals.

Location hidden

#216929 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
Your deity doesn't exist; it's just one deity belief among many. Your religion is only dangerous and damaging when it espouses and furthers ignorance. You're welcome to believe it in the privacy of your own home, provided you aren't forcing your bizarre religious beliefs on others or harming your children via odd and damaging practices.
It is beyond human knowledge to know whether his deity exists.

I know you've been to some graduate school classes, but I think you are still human.

Since you claim this definitive knowledge, we are left with two alternatives: Either you are supernatural (a god), or you are lying.

I'm betting on the latter.

Location hidden

#216930 Mar 5, 2014
Hidingfromyou wrote:
<quoted text>
You're incorrectly summing up Harris' argument.
I didn't sum up his argument, either correctly or incorrectly.

I only addressed the portion of his argument that advocates murdering innocent people.

Location hidden

#216931 Mar 5, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you conceding that you don't actually care what Sam Harris actually thinks or was trying to convey?
We will have to rely on Sam Harris' words for what he thinks and tries to convey.

You want us to rely on your verbal two-step for what he was conveying.

I think most of us will sit that dance out.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#216932 Mar 5, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
<quoted text>
Starting with the Christian President Obama (it must be true he says so and never lies) Strange that he bashes the faith as much as those that hate it and very strange he never gets the wrath that others get. Sure its nothing.
Woe is poor little you.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216933 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
It isn't confirmed by anyone, even you. You claim that churches spend only 3% of their donations to charity. Easily confirm it.
Every single piece of evidence presented on this thread with a percentage attached to it presented by theist or atheist has been well below 10%. I'm setting my guestimate at about 6%-7% of total receipts go to the needy, perhaps less. I realize that you hope that it's more, and so do I. Let's promise one another that we'll share any reliable information that we happen upon that suggests that any (tax exempt) Christian collection plate does better. I think most Ponzi schemes actually have to return more than that to maintain their illusion.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#216935 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Yet you sit back and watch as ChristineMC2 spews her belief that E= MC2 proves God can't be omnipotent.
Point?

Location hidden

#216936 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks for sharing your beliefs.
<quoted text>
What isn't?
<quoted text>
I don't like the term 'no offense' when someone's about to say done thing offensive, so I won't.
Fuckyou, I can practice my religion anywhere I want, not just in my home.
Don't bother. I tried it. She just laid there.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#216937 Mar 5, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't remember a $22 meal, so I can't answer that. I consider a 20% tip appropriate for average, regular service, nothing special but nothing to complain about. I start there, and tip more if the service has made my dining experience more pleasant. At restaurants where I dine often, I tip at least 25%, because the relationship means something to me.

I get lots of complimentary breakfasts at hotels, and always leave $5 on the table whether I have just coffee and toast, or the buffet, or an omelette from the kitchen.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#216938 Mar 5, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Woe is poor little you.
He is going to have to dig another hole to put all his persecution points in.

Location hidden

#216939 Mar 5, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
it is time that the church and it's parishioners paid their full fair share of taxes.
The USA should tax their churches and pay off the national debt.
It wouldn't be used to pay off the debt. Obama would put it in his Global Warming Slush Fund, give grants to another solar panel company who's going out of business, and buy Michelle a gold bustle to cover up her huge ass.

Location hidden

#216940 Mar 5, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Jedism? Is that based on The Beverly Hillbillies?
Jim Varney was a national treasure.
Jed was played by Buddy Epsom.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#216941 Mar 5, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. depends. If the waitress is topless, big bucks ..
Sucker.

I fell for that once.

Only once.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 min nanoanomaly 837,954
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min June VanDerMark 589,854
'DON'T LISTEN TO SATAN!! 'Don't give up'!!!!!! 8 min The swamiji 2
Should Black People in the USA Leave America an... (May '13) 14 min The swamiji 695
Do women think men with blue eyes are more attr... (Dec '08) 14 min Great 80
REAL Contemporary Instrumental Music!! 15 min Doctor REALITY 50
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 19 min HipGnosis 176,875
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Mike thunkit 99,777
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Truths 612,170
More from around the web