Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256065 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#216468 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, where did you get this information, other than your Topix Atheist! imagination?
Now that's odd. You zip off all these factoids at your fingertips when you want them - why is it you can't seem to confirm (or refute) this simple fact?

I get this from my days as a Christian, when I served in church administration. I could tell you what the figures were at my church, right down to the individual if wanted, and how these numbers contrasted against the national average. Any church administrator could do the same, if they're any good at their job. It is vital to planning and budget-setting. The fact is, the average for "tithing" is something less than 3% of income

By th way, you cite a 10% tithe - nothing in the NT supports that assertion, and, when it's convenient, you claim the OT doesn't apply to Xtians. So there's another of your "factoids" you threw out there with no real number backup, which you then disparagingly contrasted against the REAL percentages of Buffet, Gates, et al.

Never mind the actual numbers if they overtask your factoid bank - The long and short of it is that the vast majority of so-called "Christian charitable donations" go to internal church functions, NOT external charity. Contrast that against Buffet's numbers now.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216470 Mar 3, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Now that's odd. You zip off all these factoids at your fingertips when you want them - why is it you can't seem to confirm (or refute) this simple fact?
I get this from my days as a Christian, when I served in church administration. I could tell you what the figures were at my church, right down to the individual if wanted, and how these numbers contrasted against the national average. Any church administrator could do the same, if they're any good at their job. It is vital to planning and budget-setting. The fact is, the average for "tithing" is something less than 3% of income
By th way, you cite a 10% tithe - nothing in the NT supports that assertion, and, when it's convenient, you claim the OT doesn't apply to Xtians. So there's another of your "factoids" you threw out there with no real number backup, which you then disparagingly contrasted against the REAL percentages of Buffet, Gates, et al.
Never mind the actual numbers if they overtask your factoid bank - The long and short of it is that the vast majority of so-called "Christian charitable donations" go to internal church functions, NOT external charity. Contrast that against Buffet's numbers now.
Oh.

Well your personal experience means nothing as far as the whole of Christian charity goes.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#216471 Mar 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
You should have home-schooled them.
HAHAHAHAHA
Get it?
No.

I don't get dork humor.

Off the the Jim.

You can have this thread mañana, I'm taking a day.
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#216472 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
The title here is a question, "Atheism requires as much faith as religion?" I'd have to answer no, religion requires more faith.
But atheism, the belief that deities don't exist, is not proven in any way whatsoever. To believe that requires faith, trust, belief.
Why are you competing with Duck Pri ck for stupidest post again!?
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#216473 Mar 3, 2014
YellowStar wrote:
Considering the question posed on this thread I'd have to say no, needing absolute proof is what atheism is all about. The problem there is you can't know what you don't know or have no way of knowing. The scientific method is always turning up new evidence and reaching new conclusions as it advances.
The problem with religion is it purports to know what it doesn't really know. It often has no scientific proof or validation for many of it's claims or irrefutable historical evidence, often requires blind faith....much like a con-man does from his victims, and often rejects a scientific pursuit of knowledge and understanding which may validate some of it's claims(I said some...). Science is a just a process after all and nothing more.
Religious people and atheists arguing about who is right is like two ugly hags arguing who looks best at a beauty contest, they both leave something to be desired.
Let the games begin, you may now attack me from both sides.
atheism is a LACK of belief in gods,

No faith needed,I'm glad you agree
ChristINSANITY is EVIL

Windsor, Canada

#216474 Mar 3, 2014
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Zuckerberg only donated 3% of his income to the tune of $970 million.
What a cheap bastard, huh?
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/mark...
Buffett donated only 5% in the amount of 2.6 billion.
Another tightwad according to your numbers
http://www.forbes.com/sites/alexmorrell/2013/...
I have no idea what you're talking about concerning Bill Gates, but coming from you it's probably misinformation, and I have to leave for a meeting.
Not too shabby for amoral, misguided atheists, huh? Don't forget, I haven't included Bill Gates.
What is it with these lazy kristains always begging for a handout?

Get of your azz and get a job!

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#216475 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
I don't get dork humor.
Off the the Jim.
You can have this thread mañana, I'm taking a day.
O.K.

But tell me, where did you put Thing Two?

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#216477 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh don't give me that. When was the last time you looked at a high school science book? I've got two kids in high school and there are many things that their science teacher (and book) teaches as fact.
Some of it is fact, some of it is conjecture, like the mysterious and yet undiscovered common ancestor.
The level of confidence about something maybe very high, so high that some people consider it indisputable fact, but the truth is nothing is guaranteed 100%, and while the LUCA has not been discovered as we know it . There are plenty of MRCA's in the animal kingdom that show common descent to be true.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216478 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Latrines?!
Dang those atheist freethinkers sure are helpful.
Yup, latrines. Because the localities didn't have any sanitation facilities at all. So, yes, latrines are very important to villages that have been suffering from disease due to open wastes.

You don't have much of an imagination, do you. Incapable of seeing what poor sanitation can wreak. And don't really care, apparently.

While these Christian groups build churches...that aren't needed and don't help anyone.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#216480 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh.
Well your personal experience means nothing as far as the whole of Christian charity goes.
Nice dodge, Flipper, but my personal experience wasn't the basis of my response. I cited nationwide numbers, easily confirmed by anyone, esp. you who began this by tossing out percentages like a fact machine.

The point is putting the lie to this myth that "Christians give more in charitable contributions". They don't, when we deduct the amount that goes directly to their church. No matter how massive the edifice and broad are it's tentacles in real estate and wealth, it still qualifies as "charity". It's an officially sanctioned scam that exists only because of the 1st amendment.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216481 Mar 3, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheism is not a non-belief.
"The Communist Party is to oppose religion and to fight for the full victory of atheism.”
--The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (Moscow, USSR)
If the USSR was "fighting for the full victory of atheism", and people were killed, how were they fighting for atheism but not killing for atheism?
Can you explain that?
I can explain it for you. You are a liar and a moron. That's the explanation.
Atheism is the rejection of Theistic claims.

#216482 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Christians represent 32% of all charitable donations. In 2012, they donated over 214 million dollars. Compare that to your billionaire philanthropists.
Christians make up between 80% and 90% of the population. And they are responsible for 32% of charitable donations?

That means non-Christians...between 10% and 20% of the population...are responsible for 68% of all charitable donations.

Wow, those Christians are even stingier than I thought.

BTW...the Bill and Melinda Gate Foundation was started in 1997, meaning it has been around 17 years. As of last year, Bill Gates had personally donated 28 BILLION to the foundation. So, 28 billion over 16 years...1.75 billion per year on average. More than 8 times all your Christians combined.

And that is just one atheist.

BTW...add all Christians and just Bill Gates...just the one atheist...Christians only donated 11% of that total. Using your figures, your 32% is WAY high.

(BTW...it only took a few seconds to come up with the facts about Bill Gates and his charity. But, of course, you couldn't be bothered to spend even that little time checking some facts. For you, "facts" are what you want to be true.)

(And BTW...I personally think you have WAY understated what Christians actually give.$214 million might sound really big...until you realize that is less than $1 per person in the US.)

#216483 Mar 3, 2014
YellowStar wrote:
Considering the question posed on this thread I'd have to say no, needing absolute proof is what atheism is all about. The problem there is you can't know what you don't know or have no way of knowing. The scientific method is always turning up new evidence and reaching new conclusions as it advances.
The problem with religion is it purports to know what it doesn't really know. It often has no scientific proof or validation for many of it's claims or irrefutable historical evidence, often requires blind faith....much like a con-man does from his victims, and often rejects a scientific pursuit of knowledge and understanding which may validate some of it's claims(I said some...). Science is a just a process after all and nothing more.
Religious people and atheists arguing about who is right is like two ugly hags arguing who looks best at a beauty contest, they both leave something to be desired.
Let the games begin, you may now attack me from both sides.
I think you are misstating what atheists think. The atheist view is that there is NO evidence of any gods, and that believing in things with no evidence to support them is irrational.

Most atheist I know don't demand absolute proof. What they do want, however, is evidence beyond reasonable doubt.

Buck of course will disagree with this. But then, Buck is Buck...Mr. OCD.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#216484 Mar 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Christians make up between 80% and 90% of the population. And they are responsible for 32% of charitable donations?
That means non-Christians...between 10% and 20% of the population...are responsible for 68% of all charitable donations.
BTW...the Bill and Melinda Gate Foundation was started in 1997, meaning it has been around 17 years. As of last year, Bill Gates had personally donated 28 BILLION to the foundation. So, 28 billion over 16 years...1.75 billion per year on average. More than 8 times all your Christians combined.
BTW...add all Christians and just Bill Gates...just the one atheist...Christians only donated 11% of that total. Using your figures, your 32% is WAY high.
(BTW...it only took a few seconds to come up with the facts about Bill Gates and his charity. But, of course, you couldn't be bothered to spend even that little time checking some facts. For you, "facts" are what you want to be true.)
(And BTW...I personally think you have WAY understated what Christians actually give.$214 million might sound really big...until you realize that is less than $1 per person in the US.)
'

Well, numbers aren't Ar aR's friend.

#216485 Mar 3, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
At best this would make Christians charitable. Certainly doesn't prove Christianity is correct or that atheists require some kind of faith.
RR needs to check his figures.$214 million is pocket change (literally) on the scale of the national population.

#216486 Mar 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I should also point out this only includes Bill Gates donations to the Gates Foundation and does not include any other charitable donations he has made.

#216487 Mar 3, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>'
Well, numbers aren't Ar aR's friend.
So true. LOL
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216488 Mar 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Posted on PTAG:
Enlightened wrote:
Atheism is now the worst kind of religion.
Don't think it's a religion? Well, let's define "religion."
Religion - an organized collection of beliefs, cultural systems, and world views that relate humanity to an order of existence.
Anyone disagree with that? Good.
Atheist Beliefs:
1. There is no creator, the universe has either always existed, or it punched its own ticket
2. Christianity is a problem for mankind that needs to be eradicated for furtherance of the species
3. The Bible is an overly-long collection of lies and propaganda
4. Evolution and the Big Bang Theory (somehow) disprove the existence of God
Atheist Cultural Systems:
1. Atheist "churches," where non-believers gather to discuss...hmm, not a clue what they discuss there but I'm definitely going to check one out
2. Internet Atheism, where groups of like-minded atheists post hate rants at Christians, then rate each others' posts as "Awesome!" while rating the Christians' posts as "Shite"
Atheist World Views:
1. Mankind can take care of itself
2. We live, we die, that's that
3. Christianity must be eradicated
4. Religious intolerance is the source of mankind's problems
So you see, not only is Atheism now a religion, it is a self-contradicting, hypocritical, and irrational religion. It is EXACTLY what it purports Christianity to be.
But I do love me some Atheists. They are the sugar in my coffee.
Proceed, Atheists.
Your definition is someones opinion, the REAL definition that is found in Webster's dictionary is the one commonly used: RELIGION.......The belief and worship of a superhuman controlling power, a personal God or Gods.

Now to your individual points. Atheistic positions.

1.) Rejection of Theistic claims dealing with a creator God. That the universe may have always existed is simply one of many possibilities.

2,) Not just Christianity, but all unsupported beliefs concerning an all powerful being.

3.) The bible is an ancient book of stories written by frighten old men and has absolutely worth or relevance for todays societies.

4.) Evolution and the BB say nothing about the existence of God, both are science driven and science is silent on the existence of God.

As to the Atheist World View:

1&2 are accurate, 3.) Eradicated is rather a strong word, rather replaced by reason, logic and skepticism.

4.) Rather religious intolerance contributes to man-kinds problems.

Nice try, but most of theses premisses are outright wrong, or overly stated.

Atheism is the REJECTION of Theistic claims.

You have my permission to continue to try and make it a religion. Maybe it makes you feel more comfortable to have us in bed with you sharing your unsupported beliefs. Kind of takes some of the embarrassment away. LOL
YellowStar

Eden Prairie, MN

#216489 Mar 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
I think you are misstating what atheists think. The atheist view is that there is NO evidence of any gods, and that believing in things with no evidence to support them is irrational.
Most atheist I know don't demand absolute proof. What they do want, however, is evidence beyond reasonable doubt.
So you are saying atheism also requires some faith, the faith that that which they scientifically reason to believe is in keeping with that which they do not know, until science is able to test it and affirm their faith. Well I think atheists overstate their case. There is a order to all things and an intelligence inherent in all matter that science has already recognized but has not reached a point of understanding it. Just because the fairy-tale "god" of most religions isn't reasonable or scientifically supported doesn't mean a creative force of a higher order which may govern the physical and metaphysical universe doesn't exist, it just hasn't been proved beyond a reasonable doubt for atheists.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#216490 Mar 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Have you heard of or seen a movie called Powder? Powder, the title character, is a bizarre, pale, empath who happens upon a redneck hunter who has just shot a deer, and connects the hunter to the deer by touching them both, enabling the hunter to experience the terror and horror of the deer as it suffered and died.
This is a clip of the scene which somebody seems to have added farting sounds to - LOL. Try to imagine how poignant this scene would be without them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =szaq3dE2sHEXX
Yes I have seen this movie, but forgot about this scene.

There is also a science fiction book written by Isaac Asimov about the Earth being controlled by an Alien race who's one unpardonable act by humans is cruelty to animals. To that end they have everyone at a bull fight suddenly feel the fear and agony the bull feels. The book is called The Overlords.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 min Regina 650,439
Incest Lesbian Pedo Sex Snapchat (Oct '14) 2 min Heibdjcbf 3
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 3 min Buck Crick 445,930
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min Catcher1 56,093
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Hukt on Fonix 971,824
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 15 min Steve III 44,970
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 19 min bad bob 182,948
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 9 hr kobechi3 71
More from around the web