Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 238923 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#216017 Mar 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should have actually read your link. You won't like what it says if you do. It explains how Boehner is being dishonest with the statistics in the CBO report and misrepresenting what they mean.
He's not a Christian, is he?
The conservative meme on this has been that CBO reported that ACA would destroy 2 million jobs.

Even conservative members of the CBO have come out saying this is a lie.

The report says that 2 million people would leave the work force.

This is not the same as 2 million jobs being destroyed. The jobs will still be there. 2 million people currently without jobs will then take those jobs, becoming employed. The number of jobs will remain the same. The number of employed will remain the same. The only change will be who has the jobs. And the people leaving those jobs will be leaving voluntarily.

This has been explained before to RR. Either he doesn't have enough smarts to understand or else he is lying.

This, BTW, is one of those stories Fox News has been pushing as a "fact", that 2 million jobs would be destroyed. Just another example of why not to trust Fox News.

(All news shows get some things wrong some of the time. However, the shows with integrity will offer retractions when they are wrong. Fox News doesn't.)

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#216018 Mar 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope. The CBO figured that many workers will lose one to two percent of hours worked.
The CBO estimated that Obamacare would "reduce the total number of hours worked, on net, by about 1.5 percent to 2.0 percent during the period from 2017 to 2024, almost entirely because workers will choose to supply less labor — given the new taxes and other incentives they will face and the financial benefits some will receive." This would equal a "decline in the number of full-time-equivalent workers of about 2.0 million in 2017, rising to about 2.5 million in 2024," the report continued.
Did you get that or did you choose to gloss over it?
Oh, you glossed it?
a "decline in the number of full-time-equivalent workers of about 2.0 million in 2017, rising to about 2.5 million in 2024,"
Obamacare is bad news for America.
You're not an atheist, I mean humanist, are you ?
Did you just say "given the new taxes and other incentives they will face and the financial benefits some will receive"?

Incentives and financial benefits are bad things?

#216019 Mar 1, 2014
JohnnyComeLately wrote:
<quoted text>
I have heard that also. At the time it was a Republican plan it was rejected by Democrats. Thats how these games work now-a-days. Republicans aren't the only party of no.
You really should consider the degrees of "no". Obama has actually tried very hard on a number of issues to find a compromise with the Repubs. The only answer he has gotten has been NO.

Now admittedly, there are some things the Dems are not willing to compromise on, but it certainly isn't every...single...issue.(Or near enough to every single issue.)

And I consider it a bad thing "Thats how these games work now-a-days". But "compromise" has become a filthy word in the Repub lexicon.

And ACA was modeled after Mitt Romney's Massachusetts health care plan. It is also very similar to the Repubs' counter proposal to Clinton's health care plan. So, yes, it was a Repub plan initially.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#216020 Mar 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
As the Bible teaches, he does not spare the rod.
His staff comforts him. Hopefully, his bush doesn't burn.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#216021 Mar 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
HA HA!
Ok, I gotta admit, that was not only witty but funny as hell.
Touché
Thanks, man.

Witty, funny and factual.

“Filia Spartacus”

Since: Jun 13

Camp Cove

#216022 Mar 1, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
He was also responsible for CFCs as coolant to replace that nasty ammonia in fridges and freezers
He contracted polio and invented a lift to help him in and out of bed.
He was strangled in the workings
In my view it couldn’t have happened to a more deserving person.
Karma, hey? CFCs and the hole in the ozone layer means he was a walking environmental disaster. If they only knew back then...

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#216023 Mar 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You really should consider the degrees of "no". Obama has actually tried very hard on a number of issues to find a compromise with the Repubs. The only answer he has gotten has been NO.
Now admittedly, there are some things the Dems are not willing to compromise on, but it certainly isn't every...single...issue.(Or near enough to every single issue.)
And I consider it a bad thing "Thats how these games work now-a-days". But "compromise" has become a filthy word in the Repub lexicon.
And ACA was modeled after Mitt Romney's Massachusetts health care plan. It is also very similar to the Repubs' counter proposal to Clinton's health care plan. So, yes, it was a Repub plan initially.
Was it a republican plan to force it on America defined as a tax? With it passing without going through the house first? In short that is violating the rules and breaching the laws we govern ourselves with.

#216024 Mar 1, 2014
JohnnyComeLately wrote:
<quoted text>
I would blame Obama for that. He is the leader. He has to find a way to work with Congress and he's failed. He likes to blame. Leaders lead and take responsibility, losers blame others. I think if you look back at history you'll find Presidents who are looked at as successes, found a way to work with there congressional leaders. As a President you give direction and you sign bills into law and you make sure things are getting done. He barely got the ACA passed with a majority House and Senate. His own party, who are up for reelection are distancing themselves from him.
I have a feeling history will not be kind to this President.
My opinion is that the Republicans held the presidency for 20 of 24 years from 1968 to 1992 and had come to think the presidency was theirs by divine right. They were angry over losing it to Clinton, then regained it under Bush II for 8 years.(Bush II, now there is a president that history will not look kindly on.)

When Obama won, it was the Repubs' stated policy to not work with the Dems on anything lest Obama get some credit. And we have seen this in spades with the House over the last 3 years.

The Dems have plenty of faults. Which is why I am an independent.

I was actually a Republican for a lot of years. But the party kept moving farther and farther to the right so that my moderate position became flaming liberal in their eyes. Which is why I can't stand the Republican party any more and left.

BTW...I had hoped that Clinton's victories would lead the Republican party back toward a centrist position. Unfortunately, it only made them more radical. And they have just kept moving farther right every year. Part of the reason for this is the primary system, which emphasizes the extreme elements of both parties.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#216025 Mar 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Of course you do. Harris hates Christians as much as you and Hitchens and a lot of atheists.
Correct. Harris and IANS (Hitchens is dead), and a lot of atheists do not hate Christians at all. They lack hate for Christians equally.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Hatred to the point of genocide and murder. So much hatred that, given the power, you'd be just like Stalin and kill people for their beliefs.
When we attain majority status, we will endeavor to kill less, not more. You'll be better protected and enjoy the fruits of a more competent government that doesn't waste time trying to reconcile superstition with reality.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
“Some beliefs are so dangerous that it may be ethical to kill people for believing them”
Sam Harris, The End of Faith, pp.52-53.
I agree. It may be ethical to kill people, under certain circumstances, to protect yourself or others, for what those people are almost guaranteed to do, for the beliefs that they hold.
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Or on page 193 of the sane book, your oh-so-moral hero talks about the medieval torture device, the strappado.
"there would be no harm in dusting off the strappado and exposing this unpleasant fellow to a suasion of bygone times"
I'd like an order of context, make it a paragraph please. No fries, no drink.
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Sam Harris says morality is human well-being, that morality means to advance human well-being.l and that human well-being is a function of the brain.
You wanna see liberal, anti-everyone-but-liberals mentality and "morals"?
The really scary part of such liberal ideology is how Harris proposes to solve our moral problems:
"We must build our better selves into our laws, tax codes, and institutions. Knowing that we are generally incapable of valuing two children more than either child alone, we must build a structure that reflects and enforces our deeper understanding of human well-being." -Harris
He's a hate filled mongrel that hates emphatically anyone that has a different thought than him. Sounds a lot lot the typical, hate-filled Topix Atheist! to me.
Do you think you're making sense?

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#216026 Mar 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
The conservative meme on this has been that CBO reported that ACA would destroy 2 million jobs.
Even conservative members of the CBO have come out saying this is a lie.
The report says that 2 million people would leave the work force.
This is not the same as 2 million jobs being destroyed. The jobs will still be there. 2 million people currently without jobs will then take those jobs, becoming employed. The number of jobs will remain the same. The number of employed will remain the same. The only change will be who has the jobs. And the people leaving those jobs will be leaving voluntarily.
This has been explained before to RR. Either he doesn't have enough smarts to understand or else he is lying.
This, BTW, is one of those stories Fox News has been pushing as a "fact", that 2 million jobs would be destroyed. Just another example of why not to trust Fox News.
(All news shows get some things wrong some of the time. However, the shows with integrity will offer retractions when they are wrong. Fox News doesn't.)
I've started to look into this "Obamacare" thing.

The quickest way may be to watch Fox News and just believe the opposite of everything they say.

“Filia Spartacus”

Camp Cove

#216027 Mar 1, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I think before.
Jerry had an identity crisis. In some ways you could call him a hippie, yet he trained in a Seminary for a priesthood of some sort. Then he sorted it all out, and he is who he is.
He's a good and decent person, and worthy of our respect though we might disagree with his views.
Is that the same Jerry Brown that was around in the 80s? The Dead Kennedys had a song about him, but I think it was a bit harsh.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#216028 Mar 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. Harris and IANS (Hitchens is dead), and a lot of atheists do not hate Christians at all. They lack hate for Christians equally.
<quoted text>
When we attain majority status, we will endeavor to kill less, not more. You'll be better protected and enjoy the fruits of a more competent government that doesn't waste time trying to reconcile superstition with reality.
<quoted text>
I agree. It may be ethical to kill people, under certain circumstances, to protect yourself or others, for what those people are almost guaranteed to do, for the beliefs that they hold.
<quoted text>
I'd like an order of context, make it a paragraph please. No fries, no drink.
<quoted text>
Do you think you're making sense?
The Redneck felt the need to slip in the word "mongrel."

The rest of the last paragraph was just window dressing.

"Mongrel" is the latest mantra for the racists, under the leadership of Ted Nugent.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#216029 Mar 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
That is what I am seeing, that the ACA has a lot of Republican DNA.

Romney vetoed the mandate, but signed it anyway after his veto was overridden. Later he said "I'm proud of what we've done. If Massachusetts succeeds in implementing it, then that will be the model for the nation."

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#216030 Mar 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I said no such thing. I said homosexuality is a mating behavior birth defect.
Do you know what mating behavior is? Or the evolutionary purpose???
Do some research and get back.
Smile snort.
This is what you said:
There it is folks ~ The 'rational humanist' who sounds like a bully bigot.

Ss couples are still a defect of mating behavior making ss marriage an oxymoron.

Anal sex is still inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning.

Smirk.

Defect, defect defect. You said it . You deny it and this is your post. And you are right I know about sex, had four children. But people marry all the time with no intention of having any kids, even tho they are able. What people do in their bedrooms is none of my business nor yours.....You want to go into your friends homes and see what they are up to at night? So you can condemn them? I guarantee that they are not just doing the missionary position. So I guess everybody is defective.. Are you jealous you never got off your back and tried anything else? So you want to persecute everybody else?

You are a joke?

Hearty laugh

“Filia Spartacus”

Camp Cove

#216031 Mar 1, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't get to boss me around. You goddam Christ-Stain.
That's all that one knows. Oh, and attempting to play the victim.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#216032 Mar 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
His staff comforts him. Hopefully, his bush doesn't burn.
Pharaoh, let my people go... to the adult book store!

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#216033 Mar 1, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
Was it a republican plan to force it on America defined as a tax? With it passing without going through the house first? In short that is violating the rules and breaching the laws we govern ourselves with.
This is from the wiki page I'm reading.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protecti...

"On November 7, the House of Representatives passed the Affordable Health Care for America Act on a 220–215 vote and forwarded it to the Senate for passage"

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#216034 Mar 1, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
This is from the wiki page I'm reading.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protecti...
"On November 7, the House of Representatives passed the Affordable Health Care for America Act on a 220–215 vote and forwarded it to the Senate for passage"
Sorry Aura.

I wasn't done reading.

This act ain't that act.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#216035 Mar 1, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's all that one knows. Oh, and attempting to play the victim.
He is a victim of his own ego.

“What's left to defend?”

Freedom

#216036 Mar 1, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
I see what they did now.

The Senate utilized a bill that had already been passed by the House. They revised it to work for health care reform. Eventually the House did pass the Senate bill.

An Executive Order and the Reconciliation Process was used to get it all worked out.

This is very far from ideal.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 4 min RiccardoFire 4,071
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min June VanDerMark 589,328
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 12 min Freebird USA 176,748
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 16 min scaritual 837,019
Asian students pose great threat and damage to ... 25 min EmpireEarth 2
Mark Fuhrman PLANTED the glove @ Simpson's estate 36 min Doctor REALITY 9
This ~ or ~ That? (game) (Dec '12) 44 min The Gleep 1,836
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Freebird USA 271,261
More from around the web