Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 253536 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#215586 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
We?!
You are the *only* Humanist here. At least the only person claiming to be one.
Have you ever seen any other poster besides you that says they're a Humanist?
All we've got is a bunch of opinionated, retarded, fact-hating, Christian-hating Topix Atheists! here.
And Blob.
I'll hold up my hand. Secular humanism looks like a logical progression to me.

Since: Jan 11

United States

#215587 Feb 27, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
I'm a humanist, and so are Hiding, HL, Scar, Double Fine, and I'm sure many others.
BTW, a high school graduate is unlikely to use the word "retarded" to refer to those who disagree with his views.
I say you don't have a high school diploma.
I'm humanish.

“The future begins”

every moment

#215588 Feb 27, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
I wonder if they ever pulled DNA from those corpses in that tomb they found.

BTW - I thought the book was a great read and very informative.

Cheers!
Yup. I'd put it in the top three, or four, or.......;)

“The future begins”

every moment

#215589 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Uh-huh.... If I say there are more blacks in prison than whites, all of a sudden the claim is made that I hate blacks.
I wouldn't say you hate blacks (based just on that) but if you stated that as if it meant anything without any analysis as to how that comes to be, I'd say it shows you willfully ignorant. I didn't say ignorant, I said willfully ignorant. Part of your stock-in-trade is to take a shallow reading of a bare factoid or select quote and pretend they inform anything more of substance beyond that bare factoid or quote. That is willful ignorance. A greatest hits compilation could be called, "Stupid As I Wanna Be."

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#215590 Feb 27, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm humanish.
Sorry, I forgot you, and Aerobatty, and Karl.

“The future begins”

every moment

#215591 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus doesn't use those exact words, but He doesn't have to.
"Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I am He, you will die in your sins.”
"before Abraham was born, I am!"
A married man can tell you he's married without saying "I'm married". He can say "Meet my wife" or "Today's is our wedding anniversary" or "I'm her husband". No matter which of those he says, you quote clearly understand that he's married.
There are many verses in the Bible where Jesus refers to Himself as God. There are many, many more where other refer to Him as God.
To my knowledge they are all in John.

John's Gospel was written as much as a century after Jesus' death, when the wagons had been circled, the lines were drawn, and everybody knew what the issues were. John was written with an agenda clearly in mind. It was written specifically to address all the weaknesses present in the earlier attempts to deify a poor ol' itinerant rebel preacherman called Yeshua.

That's why the most popular quotes allegedly uttered by Jesus are almost exclusively from John. All the others are too wishy-washy on the subject. John gives Christians the separation they so deeply crave. Paul may be the godfather of Christian exclusion, but John is the king.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#215592 Feb 27, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm humanish.
Is that more like a Spanish or a radish? heheheh

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#215593 Feb 27, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>To my knowledge they are all in John.
John's Gospel was written as much as a century after Jesus' death, when the wagons had been circled, the lines were drawn, and everybody knew what the issues were. John was written with an agenda clearly in mind. It was written specifically to address all the weaknesses present in the earlier attempts to deify a poor ol' itinerant rebel preacherman called Yeshua.
That's why the most popular quotes allegedly uttered by Jesus are almost exclusively from John. All the others are too wishy-washy on the subject. John gives Christians the separation they so deeply crave. Paul may be the godfather of Christian exclusion, but John is the king.
The Gospel of John is so full if errors about Judaism and out right lies that it is a disgrace to everything that the Jesus of Mark and Matthew taught.
Curiously, it is the favorite (sometimes only) Gospel of Christians.

Without the Gospel of John (which is actually a 'Gnostic' text) Modern Christianity would collapse.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#215594 Feb 27, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The Gospel of John is so full if errors about Judaism and out right lies that it is a disgrace to everything that the Jesus of Mark and Matthew taught.
Curiously, it is the favorite (sometimes only) Gospel of Christians.
Without the Gospel of John (which is actually a 'Gnostic' text) Modern Christianity would collapse.
Listening to you critique the bible is like a Gibbon (Hylobatidae) trying to teach a college Physics class.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#215595 Feb 27, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, I forgot you, and Aerobatty, and Karl.
You're the only person I know who names their chickens after people.

Man get those chickens off your desk.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#215596 Feb 27, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Listening to you critique the bible is like a Gibbon (Hylobatidae) trying to teach a college Physics class.
I'd suggest that you try securing an education from a secular institution.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#215597 Feb 27, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We´ll have a little cleaning up to do to get back into compliance with that.
I see that Buck has leaped to the defense of Ehrman. No big surprise there. Buck defends every Christian apologist that is mentioned on these pages. Even though Buck claims to not be Christian.

BTW...the Wiki page on the Historicity of Jesus starts off with the warning...

"The neutrality of this article is disputed."

You will note that the theists citing this Wiki page failed to mention that little fact. As you have recently pointed out, there is a reason Christian apologists are not trusted.
EXPERT

Redding, CA

#215598 Feb 27, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>I see that Buck has leaped to the defense of Ehrman. No big surprise there. Buck defends every Christian apologist that is mentioned on these pages. Even though Buck claims to not be Christian.

BTW...the Wiki page on the Historicity of Jesus starts off with the warning...

"The neutrality of this article is disputed."

You will note that the theists citing this Wiki page failed to mention that little fact. As you have recently pointed out, there is a reason Christian apologists are not trusted.
I see you attacking everything but the argument, pumpkin!
Only able to play the little 8itch role, right?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#215599 Feb 27, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope not. Especially when they're whispering things like "Beat me in the face with the Buck Member."
You're making Dave jealous. Dave wants you all to himself.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#215600 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
We?! You are the *only* Humanist here. At least the only person claiming to be one. Have you ever seen any other poster besides you that says they're a Humanist?
Jesus Tapdancing Christ On A Cracker
http://smg.photobucket.com/user/cayleymac/med...
RiversideRedneck wrote:
All we've got is a bunch of opinionated, retarded, fact-hating, Christian-hating Topix Atheists! here.
Are you complaining that you don't get the respect you deserve?

Fennario

#215601 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
when the Topix Atheist!(you) says something like "Christians can't be trusted with statistics", you get all pissy when the tables are turned and you get called a bigot.
It was you that went apoplectic over my announcement that I don't trust Christians with statistics. You've got a lot of nerve complaining about that after your recent display. Trust is earned, not demanded. Respect, too.

Fennario

#215602 Feb 27, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If atheism suppresses Christians and freedom of religion as you desire, you'll likely start executing Christians for the criminal act of having a religion. It's the atheist way, proven by history.
As I said, Christians have a history of institutionalized torture and murder. Humanists do not. Conflating humanism with totalitarian states is what we expect from you.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Did I say anything about Humanists?
Yes, we both did. You mistakenly said that nobody but me call him/herself a humanist- I pointed out that humanists are nothing like Christians, and that you are confusing us with authoritarian monsters that demand unquestioning submission on threat of death like their Christan counterparts.

This is for you and KiMare, who wanted me to learn the difference between influence and impose:

"The Conservative Crusade For Christian Sharia Law - It’s not just the fringe anymore. Mainstream conservatives are trying to bring America’s laws into agreement with ‘God’s law."
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02...

"The question isn’t: Will conservatives push to enact laws based on the Bible? We are way beyond that. The real questions are: 1. How many more of these laws do they want to impose? And, 2. What will our nation look like if their crusade is successful to bring America’s laws into agreement with “God’s law”?

[snip]

"We saw that in 2012 when Republican presidential candidate Rick Santorum declared his belief that the laws in our country must “comport” with God’s law. Santorum also argued in opposition to marriage equality, that our nation’s values “are based on Biblical truth… And, those truths don’t change just because people’s attitudes may change.”

"And former Governor Mike Huckabee, who is considering running for president in 2016, proclaimed during his 2008 presidential race that our laws should be in accordance with God’s. In fact, Huckabee, an ordained Southern Baptist minister, went as far as to say:“…I believe it’s a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living God. And that’s what we need to do is amend the Constitution so it’s in God’s standards rather than trying to change God’s standards so it lines up with some contemporary view…”

[snip]

"[W]e should take a look at some of the more concerning passages from the Bible in case they truly mean it when they say our laws should be revised to agree with God’s law:

1. If a woman is found not to be a virgin on her wedding night,“she shall be brought to the door of her father’s house and there the men of her town shall stone her to death.” Deuteronomy 22:20-21

2.“Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve.” 1 Timothy 2:10-13.

3.“If a man commits adultery with another man's wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.” Leviticus 20:10 (Unlikely conservatives will push for this law because with it would mean too many politicians would be put to death.)

4.“Anyone who curses their father or mother is to be put to death.” Leviticus 20:9

5.“For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a day of Sabbath rest to the Lord. Whoever does any work on it is to be put to death.” Exodus 35:2

========

As is easily seen, it is Christian doctrine, not humanism, that has much in common with totalitarian regimes and death squads than humanists. People should fear Christian government, not secular humanist government. We believe in human autonomy and human rights, not death to those that won't obey.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#215603 Feb 27, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>To my knowledge they are all in John.
John's Gospel was written as much as a century after Jesus' death, when the wagons had been circled, the lines were drawn, and everybody knew what the issues were.
John 11:48 pre supposes it was written before the fall of Jerusalem.

8 If we let Him go on like this, all men will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.”
----------
John 10:33. Indicates the Jews understood the Deity claims of Jesus and that is why Jesus is accused of blasphemy. Jesus did not deny.
----------

33 The Jews answered Him,“For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.”
----------

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#215604 Feb 27, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> John 11:48 pre supposes it was written before the fall of Jerusalem.
8 If we let Him go on like this, all men will believe in Him, and the Romans will come and take away both our place and our nation.”
----------
John 10:33. Indicates the Jews understood the Deity claims of Jesus and that is why Jesus is accused of blasphemy. Jesus did not deny.
----------
33 The Jews answered Him,“For a good work we do not stone You, but for blasphemy; and because You, being a man, make Yourself out to be God.”
----------
"Obviously I no longer look at the Bible that way. Instead I see it as a very human book, not a divinely inspired one. To be sure, a good many parts of it are inspiring, but I no longer see God’s hand behind it all. We don’t have the originals that any of these authors wrote, only copies that have been changed by human hands all over the map. And the books that we consider Scripture came to be formed into a canon centuries after they were written. This was not, in my opinion, the result of divine activity; it was the result of very human church leaders" - Jesus, Interrupted - by Bart D. Ehrman

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#215605 Feb 28, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
"Obviously I no longer look at the Bible that way. Instead I see it as a very human book, not a divinely inspired one. To be sure, a good many parts of it are inspiring, but I no longer see God’s hand behind it all. We don’t have the originals that any of these authors wrote, only copies that have been changed by human hands all over the map. And the books that we consider Scripture came to be formed into a canon centuries after they were written. This was not, in my opinion, the result of divine activity; it was the result of very human church leaders" - Jesus, Interrupted - by Bart D. Ehrman
We went over that here.

http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TUGI0DV...

As far as i know you did not respond to that post.

All of Ehrman's books presupposes Jesus exists. He leans towards atheism so naturally heis going to deny resurrection or Deity claims since he does not believe in Deities.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 627,631
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min Buck Crick 950,845
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 15 min Earthling 14,364
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 25 min WildWeirdWillie 180,025
News Jon and Kate Gosselin File For Divorce (Jun '09) 39 min Harry 980
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 51 min Peace_Warrior 615,858
How did you get THAT?? Do you REALLY wanna know?? 1 hr Doctor REALITY 1
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 hr Neville Thompson 278,444
More from around the web