Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258512 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#213681 Feb 21, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I have great compassion for people that have AIDS not through their own choices, like babies born with it or medical mishaps .. I don't consider someone contracting AIDS because of sexual immorality to be a victim. it.
Your compassion ends where submission to your faith based values does.

We really don't need your religion in the world. We really don't need people to be taught like you were.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#213682 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The Big Bang is a myth ("Let there be light" isn't in the first verse idiot)?
Life didn't begin genderless from the earth?
And once again... put up or shut up.
<quoted text>
I noted two significant prophesies that you clearly see today. I also noted three significant creation facts.
You assert that the Bible is 'completely' worthless fiction. I proved you wrong.
SMile.
<quoted text>
I see you conceded the issue about Creation.
I think a whole culture that has maintained it's identity for over 3000 years and an world-wide Church are pretty clearly seen. LOL.
Smile.
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I asked you to show me the prophesies that can be "clearly seen" today, so far nothng.
I would also enjoy seeing your three significant creation "facts." Understand that a FACT is something supported by evidence and not just because a ancient book says so.
So lets see your prophecies and your creation facts, I can't wait to see these.
Honey, if you can't see all the Churches in YOUR community or the Synagogue, no one can help you.

The Big Bang, origins of life and genderless life forms are all supported by scientific evidence.

Smile.

Location hidden

#213683 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure you did and sure Newton's law does.
There is a direct connection between an action and a reaction. YOU even mocked what I meant when I misstated it.
For instance; Your hate and bigotry is making you obtuse...
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know much about Newton's Law, do you. It is talking about forces in physics, that if A places a force on B, then B places an equal force on A. Nothing more.
As usual, you don't have a clue what you are talking about.
No hate. No bigotry. No mocking. Correcting a misconception is not mocking. Disagreement is not hatred nor bigotry.
And you are one serious hypocrite, with all your SMiles and SMirks to talk about hatred in others.
As usual, projection.
You prove my point. Your bigotry is making you stupid.

Newton's Law asserts that any force exercised causes something. That same principle is the basis of our debate here, or the basis of every belief system including religions.

SMile.

Location hidden

#213684 Feb 21, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
BTW...you never did address the points I made about your failed attempt at equating "let there be light" to the Big Bang.
Guess you couldn't.
Sure I did.

Genesis 1:1 is the Big Bang.

Genesis 1:3 is the first step of order God brought to the universe.

Two distinct acts.

Location hidden

#213685 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The Big Bang is a myth ("Let there be light" isn't in the first verse idiot)?
Life didn't begin genderless from the earth?
And once again... put up or shut up. I noted two significant prophesies that you clearly see today. I also noted three significant creation facts.
You assert that the Bible is 'completely' worthless fiction. I proved you wrong.
SMile.
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You proved yourself wrong. Those words are worthless. You don't seem to know what worthless means. How are any of the words you cited of any value to anybody?
If I gave you directions to a location you wanted to get to, those words would be of value to you. They would make your life a little better or a little easier.
If I gave you a recipe to a meal that you could make and enjoy, those words would be of value to you.
If I wrote a users manual to a device that made it possible for you to use it to your advantage, those would also be valuable words.
If I wrote a good screenplay that became a movie that you enjoyed, that would be of value.
But the dreck you listed above is worthless, like the fortune in a Chinese cookie. Neither can be used to any advantage, the definition of useless, a synonym of worthless.
You've based your life on the words from that book. I've asked you several times what value you think they have been to you in terms of your intellect, personality and character. You refuse to answer, which is probably your best option, but your inability to point to any benefits tends to confirm the belief that the book and its contents have been of no value to you, unless you consider the sloppy comfort of superstition valuable despite the costs.
1. NOTHING you said addresses the points I made. I noted three incredible facts just affirmed by science, and two prophecies that YOU witness today. Those undermine the assertion that the Bible is worthless, and you have no rational response!
2. But even more idiotic, you deny the fact that millions of people across this country take time every week to gather and use the Bible to motivate good, benevolent behavior.
This is serious denial, you really need to get some help! Do you understand that your hateful bigotry is making you blind?

Location hidden

#213686 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Every act solicits a like reward.
<quoted text>
You're the guy who said that I didn't know what motivates you to do the things you call charitable. I know that you believe that you are watched and will be judged for what you do. You have just posted your the quid pro quo understanding of it, which others realize is inescapable under such the circumstances. There is no mystery there - nothing hidden.
You can never know the sublime pleasure of doing good for goodness sake, unseen by anybody but yourself, and with no hope of praise or reward. It's a godlike feeling. You look for the divine in the air. I look for it in myself and others.
There goes that severe denial again...

I'm the one that states the principle that behavior solicits it's own reward, and you make the idiotic claim that I don't believe it.

I accurately note that you don't know my belief system, yet you are determined to assign one to me and then falsely/ignorantly judge it's tenants.

You agree that good behavior sows it's own reward, but reject that when I so act, I will never reap the benefit.

Your responses are mind-boggling foolish. Seriously, you are making atheists look bad!

Smirk.

Location hidden

#213687 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
if you can't explain how the Bible beat science by 3,000 years with three significant aspects of creation, just admit it! You already look like a fool claiming that Proverbs 8 is meaningless poetry. A room full of scientists would not agree with you, trust me.
Smirk.
<quoted text>
You're entertaining the thread's unbelievers with your faith based idols, which is also why no rational skeptic would trust you.
Um, that is not a rational response, it is troll behavior. I thought you didn't practice that...

Smile.

Location hidden

#213688 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
At it's most basic essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior. Ss couples are a defective failure of mating behavior making ss marriage an oxymoron. Did the truth offend you again??? Snicker.
<quoted text>
I don't take advice on such matters from religious people.
And I don't care about mating behavior between consenting adults. Why would I? I'll leave that to you and your panty-sniffing deity. You both seem pretty preoccupied with who sticks what where in whom.
WOW, a non-religious scientific fact, and you respond with bigotry and hate!!!

Moreover, you are rejecting facts, not advice from someone you label with bigotry. Once again that severe denial pops it's ugly head up.

Are you beginning to see how radically your denial is affecting you???

Location hidden

#213689 Feb 21, 2014
You're still evading my question: What do you think faith and religion have done for you with regard to your intellect, character and personality? Has it made you a better person in any of those areas? Do you care?

KiMare wrote:
Why do you keep shifting the issue when you have no reasoned response to most of the thread. And to personal attacks no less! That's not rational or moral. Maybe you should say you are just an atheist instead of a 'rational' atheist. SMirk.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You're still evading my question: What do you think faith and religion have done for you with regard to your intellect, character and personality? Has it made you a better person in any of those areas? Do you care?
Let me answer for you: your mind is mush, you have no personality, you have the disposition of a snapping turtle, you are ill-manned, and you are disliked and disrespected by majority of the thread. That's what a lifetime of faith and religion have done for you.
I don't blame you or your mother. I blame your church.
Here we go again.

The consistency of our lives is predictable.

You predictably avoid the facts that confront your denial when cornered.

You predictably do that by diverting to make personal assaults.

All this exposes the depravity of your belief system.

In answer to your diversion;

My wife and I volunteered to help a food pantry in our community by adding personal support for medical and dental care, housing, utilities and job placement among any other needs that came up. That evolved to a non-profit I led, that the state government came, observed and copied.

I then established a ecumenical coalition of Churches where we assessed the talents of volunteers who then made themselves available to needs that both public agencies and private citizens made known. All of this was done without charge.

I was then asked to head a group of community leaders to establish temporary housing for a large number of homeless individuals and families. We acquired land and built homes to do just that.

I was President of our local high school 'Help Center' to assist families and students beyond the school's ability.

I was President of an organization that provided free support and assistance to pregnant women.

I established a 12 step group.

My wife and I have foster parented over 10 children.

That is a short list in just one area of how my belief system has affected my life. Any other questions?

Smile.
OG Kush

United States

#213690 Feb 21, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>ok I woke up and listened to the "future" Holy Horseshit, there is no way you can be serious about this, REALLY???
Now I know why I steer my student away from this mindless garbage. It starts with something that sounds like a chainsaw at idle, Open 5th, and random open 5th for 1:30, I'm already bored to tears, these idiots think 1:30 of open 5th with chainsaw sounds is spellbinding, PLEASE!!! Then of course we have the obligatory wind sounds, very creative.
Ok, here comes the endless, and I mean endless three note Ostinato, with two triads over the top, and not very creative triads it's the II- to I-,not very exciting, Ok here comes the 6 note melody we'll hear until we're ready to puke, nice melody 5-4-b3-1-2 My granddaught could have written a more creative ditty. This goes on UNCHANGED for 4:45 with a real cheap fade out at the end. I thought fade outs went out in the 70's
No transition just a Choo Choo train sound for a min and another min to set the next boring drum machine groove. I simply couldn't stand anymore, the endless repartition finally got to me. Tie me in a room with this shit and I'll tell you where all the big guns are.
Final analysis: this is called minimalistic music, were everything lasts forever. There is NO fully formed melody only a 6 note motif used endlessly.. There is NO underlaying harmonic scheme, only childish diatonic triads. There is NO key change or change of modality, and this is what makes this no mindless and ultimately boring. Not even an attempt to change to new tonal centers, they probably don't know how, is see a lot of knob turning and tapes spinning, and very little performing They sit with glassy eyes, and slack jaws, no wonder
If this is what you consider a good example of electronic music, shame on you. There is so little music here as to be almost criminal to call it music.
Monotonous, in a monotone, lacking any melodic development, devoid of ANY harmonic scheme, monotonous drum tracks that sound more like a robot playing than a human, It's a collecting of unrelated sounds and special effects.
Whoever put this together knows noting about how to create a sense of drama, they are so into themselves with there chainsaw sounds, they think by having them last for an eternity, they become interesting, the opposite is true, things of very little substance grow old very quick.
Well at least I made it through about 7 min. of this total trash, If this is the future of music, I'll be working with my students to make sure they understand how bad this shit really is
Baby steps Prof. baby steps

You are very passionate and I applaud this.
But I believe you have missed my point entirely.

Tangerine dream is one of many total electronic groups. Oddly this monotone dismal music has found an audience. I agree it can be as awful as rap but still it represents music.

Electronic musical instruments are here to stay they will only become more advanced. Total immersion both video and audio that's the new wave.

I think you feel threatened by electronic music and it's potential.

Rap must irritate you much like fingernails on the blackboard.

Too bad so sad but electronic music is here to stay

OMG!

It's the devil's music professor!
Sighs...

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

Please ignore this Kraftwerk link, it is for those interested in electronic music. And conversely enjoy our back-and-forth on the subject.

I present this to you in the spirit of the music you enjoy.

http://m.youtube.com/watch...

Location hidden

#213691 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare'a wrote;
I'm referring to an ancient account that clearly describes a Being not from this planet. An extra -terrestrial Being, accurately described as an Alien. I suspect that you divert to this stupidity because you have no way of explaining the profound results of the Alien's contact with the Hebrews. SMile.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Don't make it so tempting.
<quoted text>
Sorry, but you cry out for derision. You beg for it by combining delusions of aliens with a splenetic nature manifesting principally as hostility and bad manners.
Expert, texpert choking smokers
Don't you think the joker laughs at you?
(Ho ho ho hee hee hee hah hah hah)
See how they smile like pigs in a sty
See how they snide
So you clearly concede that 'Alien' is an accurate description.

Are you really asserting that the Jews are primarily known for their 'hostility and bad manners'???

I'm guessing you would then claim that the Holocaust was deserved? And that 'hostility and bad manners' is why there are virtually no Jewish communities left in the Middle East, except for Israel?

Once again, your severe denial is clearly exposed by your hate, ignorance and bigotry. The more specific I get, the more you engage silly scoffing.

Others have tried polite reason and sensitive appeal. You arrogantly brush them aside.

I kick at the darkness until it bleeds light. Why not embrace the light?

Buck Crick

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#213692 Feb 21, 2014
<quoted text>
I don't anything about any real gods, but I do know that the god of the Christian bible is a hoax. making your religion a fraud. Shall I call you a liar for claiming otherwise?
Which god of the Christian bible?

Which Christian bible?

Location hidden

#213693 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
LOL, Nana is impregnated by the genitals turned almonds of Agdistis and you call it a virgin birth.
<quoted text>
Is this what your thesis is reduced to? Take a giant step back and look at what you are arguing and toward what purpose.
Okay.

I exposed a lie you made.

SMile.

Location hidden

#213694 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
My 'truth'? Again, be specific. What specifically was false about my post? Come on, be that rational moral atheist you claim to be. Snicker.
<quoted text>
Your faith based opinions are not truth, but they are hateful. You are willing to impede people's pursuit of happiness based on nothing more than the irrational commands of ancient men posing as gods. I find it unkind and unjust. I don't expect you to care.
Until you are specific, you are simply making unvalidated opinion.

My statement contained NO 'commands of ancient men'.

Once again, your hateful, ignorant bigotry pops up in a totally unsolicited issue.

Do you see where your belief system has blinded you?

Embrace the light.
tricki

Denver, PA

#213695 Feb 21, 2014
tricki wrote:
<quoted text>
have you thought about working? have you had a job?
didn't mean to pry.

For even when we were with you, this we commanded you: that if any would not work, neither should he eat.

Location hidden

#213696 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I did no such thing. My challenge has always been to equate the present violence of Islam to Christian behavior.
<quoted text>
Why would I or anybody else care about that?
Besides, I already explained. You don't get the credit for being less violent. Humanists do. It was rational ethicists who criminalized your witch burnings and inquisitions, not the church. To my knowledge, your church has never had the power to torture and execute people, but refused to use it. Are you aware of a time and place where the church was permitted to torture people, but said, "No, we will not do that. It would be wrong. It would be cruel"? I'm not.
You can thank humanists, not your priests, for the fact that other types of Christians cannot subject you to the rack or iron maiden for your heresies.
Clearly it provoked you, because you responded, and then tried to divert and distort the issue. Just like you are now. See that denial, hate and bigotry again?

If you are speaking of the Inquisition, It was a corrupt Church hierarchy with depraved humanists as cohorts, who tortured and murdered CHRISTIANS. This was preceded by the depraved humanists in the Roman Empire who barbarically did the same.

But all of this is again a diversion from the challenge I presented. A challenge NOT ONE SINGLE ATHEIST on here has been able to answer.

Smile.

Location hidden

#213697 Feb 21, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Are you talking about the gay pedophiles desecrating the Priesthood?
<quoted text>
I think he's talking about a pedophilic priesthood desecrating children.
Wow, ALL priests are pedophiles?

That is some serious hate and bigotry...

Get help.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#213698 Feb 21, 2014
<quoted text>
No, I don't note that. I note the opposite. It's the Christians that are most immoral. Look at the god you worship. Look at the Christian standard for moral truth. Look at your own behavior in your life and on this thread.
You are likely referring to the immorality in government. That correlated with the rise of evangelical Christianity in Congress during the same time period in which religiosity was decreasing in the general population. The government is more immoral than ever, as are the captains of industry that it caters to, but not the people.
As the number under the influence of your church continues to diminish and are replaced with people embodying humanist principles, moral behavior among typical citizens will increase. That's always been true.
And as long as Americans keep electing religious zealots, the American government will continue to decay.
<quoted text>
I rest my case.
There is no rise of evangelical Christianity in Congress. The exact opposite has occurred, correlating with the rise in corruption and phoniness. If you haven't noticed, the Christian influence is losing every government contest, as in the forward march of the gay rights movement, abortion, forced purchase of health insurance. Christian taxpayers now are forced to fund abortion with their wages, providing millions to Planned Parenthood, in clear violation of federal law.(Hyde Amendment)

You got the flip of the First Amendment you wanted, as the Courts institutionalized a bald-faced lie about the Establishment Clause, which they apparently only began to read properly in the 1960s. Certainly not an evangelical advance, huh?

Putting the icing on the cake, democrats furnished us with a sexual predator in the oval office, who is today still the most popular of their political icons. They next selected a president for us, approved by popular vote, who was raised a Muslim and tutored in communism and anti-Americanism.

It's fancy footwork blaming our governmental decline on Christians. Our president's goddamned middle name is Hussein - managing to poke they eye of both Christians and Jews.

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#213699 Feb 21, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>

Atheism has no tenets. There is only the qualification that makes one an atheist.
Is that another of its tenets it does not have?

When did you not adopt the non-tenet?

How many other non-tenets do you not have?

Buck Crick

Location hidden

#213700 Feb 21, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
That's called a legal fiction.
The legal non-fictions are the ones you agree with.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min PadMark 703,823
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 22 min Kwisatz Haderach 88,504
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Redeemed Jersey P... 996,556
Are women from USA scared of marriage? 2 hr stupdwmen 20
Are Ukraine women naturally prideful? 3 hr stupdwmen 4
I'm making a dating blog. Any advice? 3 hr stupdwmen 3
Why are women from USA prefer casual dating ove... 3 hr stupdwmen 3