Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254892 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#213593 Feb 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
Aww.
Come on, make the remark, and I may do the kissing.
You already did the ass kissing.

You're still doing the ass kissing.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#213594 Feb 20, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
You can't make this god look good. You can only make yourself look bad trying.
They are so terrified of their evil deity torturing them that they can't admit the truth about it.

Religion in most cases is an act of cowardice.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#213595 Feb 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Eh?
You think I had one English teacher?
Are you one of the "educated" here?
Yes, I'll sue my one English teacher.
LMMFAO!
You have a penchant for lying.

This, together with your less than rudimentary awareness of the most elementary notions learned in school, leads me to only one conclusion.

After you dropped out of school (which you concede), you did not go back and get a high school degree.

Prove me wrong, if you can.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#213596 Feb 20, 2014
<quoted text>
LOL. I think you've earned the title of thread statistician.
Here's the thing...

Ar aR made the comment once upon a time that I spent "all day" on topix. That was back when I was well below 9,000 posts. I started posting here on May 18, 2009. I "greyboxed" as "Heretic" for about a month before that.

I forget what his number was, at the time, but - even then - his post avg was at 75 per day. It's ranged as high as 114 - per day - but never below 75 - for as long as I've paid attention.

Interestingly enough, my daily avg. for the entire time I've posted on topix has remained pretty consistent, at about 9 per day. That's under the scaritual account and the Nontheist account.

If you recall - I wanted to see if there was a difference between calling yourself a nontheist or an atheist - and if theists reacted differently - there was a difference.

I still have that account.
http://www.topix.com/member/profile/nontheist

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#213597 Feb 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:

You have a penchant for lying.
This, together with your less than rudimentary awareness of the most elementary notions learned in school, leads me to only one conclusion.
After you dropped out of school (which you concede), you did not go back and get a high school degree.
Prove me wrong, if you can.
No. I don't lie.

I dropped out halfway through 11th grade, I wanted to work and I wanted to move out on my own.

Four years later, I went to adult education school downtown and did what I needed for my diploma.

I could prove it to you by emailing you a copy of my diploma.

I won't do that because you're a psycho hose beast.

So no proof for you, Lilly.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#213598 Feb 20, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you and I think you should listen to your electronic music professors a little more. You have much to learn. A good educator should not be close minded.
In popular music, a synth lead is generally used for playing the main melody of a song, but it is also often used for creating rhythmic or bass effects. Although most commonly heard in electronic dance music, synth leads have been used extensively in hip-hop since the 1980s and rock songs since the 1970s.
Most modern music relies heavily on the synth lead to provide a musical hook to sustain the listener's interest throughout an entire song.
A synth pad is a sustained chord or tone generated by a synthesizer, often employed for background harmony and atmosphere in much the same fashion that a string section is often used in acoustic music.
Typically, a synth pad plays many whole or half notes, sometimes holding the same note while a lead voice sings or plays an entire musical phrase.
Often, the sounds used for synth pads have a vaguely organ, string, or vocal timbre.
Much popular music in the 1980s employed synth pads, this being the time of polyphonic synthesizers, as did the then-new styles of smooth jazz and New Age music.
German band 'tangerine dream' scored the movie thief with James Caan all electronic 40+ yrs ago!
You remain a fossil!
Wake up and listen to the future professor
http://m.youtube.com/watch...
ok I woke up and listened to the "future" Holy Horseshit, there is no way you can be serious about this, REALLY???
Now I know why I steer my student away from this mindless garbage. It starts with something that sounds like a chainsaw at idle, Open 5th, and random open 5th for 1:30, I'm already bored to tears, these idiots think 1:30 of open 5th with chainsaw sounds is spellbinding, PLEASE!!! Then of course we have the obligatory wind sounds, very creative.

Ok, here comes the endless, and I mean endless three note Ostinato, with two triads over the top, and not very creative triads it's the II- to I-,not very exciting, Ok here comes the 6 note melody we'll hear until we're ready to puke, nice melody 5-4-b3-1-2 My granddaught could have written a more creative ditty. This goes on UNCHANGED for 4:45 with a real cheap fade out at the end. I thought fade outs went out in the 70's

No transition just a Choo Choo train sound for a min and another min to set the next boring drum machine groove. I simply couldn't stand anymore, the endless repartition finally got to me. Tie me in a room with this shit and I'll tell you where all the big guns are.

Final analysis: this is called minimalistic music, were everything lasts forever. There is NO fully formed melody only a 6 note motif used endlessly.. There is NO underlaying harmonic scheme, only childish diatonic triads. There is NO key change or change of modality, and this is what makes this no mindless and ultimately boring. Not even an attempt to change to new tonal centers, they probably don't know how, is see a lot of knob turning and tapes spinning, and very little performing They sit with glassy eyes, and slack jaws, no wonder

If this is what you consider a good example of electronic music, shame on you. There is so little music here as to be almost criminal to call it music.

Monotonous, in a monotone, lacking any melodic development, devoid of ANY harmonic scheme, monotonous drum tracks that sound more like a robot playing than a human, It's a collecting of unrelated sounds and special effects.

Whoever put this together knows noting about how to create a sense of drama, they are so into themselves with there chainsaw sounds, they think by having them last for an eternity, they become interesting, the opposite is true, things of very little substance grow old very quick.

Well at least I made it through about 7 min. of this total trash, If this is the future of music, I'll be working with my students to make sure they understand how bad this shit really is

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#213599 Feb 20, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly?
That makes you sad? Really?
Pardon me if I think you are talking through your ass again, BenAssFucked.
So says the serial prison rapist. Did you use toys with Ben? We know how you love to use a toothbrush.

Since: Sep 10

Long Beach, CA

#213600 Feb 20, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No. I don't lie.
I dropped out halfway through 11th grade, I wanted to work and I wanted to move out on my own.
Four years later, I went to adult education school downtown and did what I needed for my diploma.
I could prove it to you by emailing you a copy of my diploma.
I won't do that because you're a psycho hose beast.
So no proof for you, Lilly.
You won't do it because you can't.

You have no high school degree.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#213601 Feb 20, 2014
<quoted text>
Dammit!
[I tied mine in with a previous post, though]
"Buck so much" is easily confused with
Butt munch.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#213602 Feb 20, 2014
<quoted text>
What point that I made did you want to contradict? I said that anything true that could be found on a Christian apologetics site could be found elsewhere. Do you disagree? If so, please provide an example of factual information found only on one of these sites, who developed the data, and please tell us how you know that your example is factual.
If you cannot, then please tell us why insisting that you cite the original source from which the apologetics was imported is unacceptable to you.
The bottom line is that if you want to be believed, you have to present something that is believable to your target. I've told you that apologetics sites are no longer trusted by evidence based thinkers. We are all to familiar with the methods and standards. They are your own as well. You don't fact check, and you don't require good evidence or sound argument.
There is a radical difference between our ways of knowing. You don't respect ours, and we don't respect yours. I don't expect you to learn anything form me ever, because you do not trust my of deciding and knowing, which require evidence and reason. You trust faith and people with faith.
You should do the same: recognize that we don't trust faith based sources, and not just because faith is not a path to truth, but because faith based thinkers have a reputation for contempt for the truth as evidence based thinkers understand it, and have repeatedly demonstrated a proclivity for twisting facts to support their faith based preferences.
So either bring material from neutral, secular,and reputable sources, or be expect your.source to be distrusted. Reputation matters. Your divorce material was typical. This was the link: http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/tgc/2012/...
I looked for its sources. Three were provided. Click on the hypertext associated with them and see where it takes you - the same place in all three cases, which is where you already are.
Then I hunted down a review of the book cited in the first reference, and found this on Amazon at http://www.amazon.com/Christians-Hate-Filled-...
"Sociologist Bradley R. E. Wright uncovers what's really happening in the church: evangelicals are more respected by secular culture now than they were ten years ago; divorce rates of Christians are lower than those who aren't affiliated with a religion .. and shows that God is still effectively working through his people today."
Sorry, but I this is apologists citing other apologists. Show me non-Christians confirming these things. If they are true, that should be no problem. If it's a problem, they probably aren't true.
You can call that prejudice, which is prejudgement, and it is, but it's not irrational. It's based on experience, and is accurate. I have also prejudged that if I stick my hand in fire, I will be burned. Is that wrong to think?
Yeah.
Well stated.

Another few things I notice on apologetics websites.

Very often, the offsite links or links to referenced materials or sources are dead ends, as in "404 link not found" "Not Authorized to access this server". "Apache Server 5.12 blah blah etc...".

Extreme quote mining - so much so - that the quote offered is taken piecemeal from an entire page worth of text, the source does not support the claim made and sometimes negates the claim made on the apologetics website.

The last problem I've noticed regularly, is that a person is quoted that has a degree, has wrote a book or essay, whatever, and you can't find that person anywhere on the net, at all, or if you do, it was some guy that received a diploma from a double wide "University" somewhere in Arizona that has had 4 addresses in the last five years and other such "diploma mills" commonly seen in theological discussions.

I always look at the links offered by theists, and the above happens on a far more than regular basis.

“Seventh son”

Will Prevail

#213604 Feb 20, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
How do you kill a "god"?
Easy: you destroy it's credibility.
And the Internet is doing exactly that-- and non-believers are in a global rise.
Which is good.
Soon, their god will join Thor, Set and Imhotep on the dustheap of history.
Projectiles work pretty damn good too

7.62 x 51 is a crowd pleaser.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213606 Feb 20, 2014
I just read this elsewhere and thought I'd share it with the thread since I recognized two of our theist poster here in the passage. I've numbered several of the sentences for ease of reference:
"There is no such thing as a sane god-worshipper.[1] Any person who can believe that right and wrong are whatever a capricious, egotistical lawgiver says they are is insane.[2] A person who believes that mass murder was evil when Hitler did it with gas chambers, but is not evil when his Sky Fuhrer does it with disease, famine, and natural disasters, is insane.[3] A person who believes that a Bible stating in fourteen places that the Earth is flat is a revelation from an omniscient deity is insane.[4] Anyone who can convince himself that the first fifty virgin born savior gods who rose from the dead on the third day were fairy tales, but on the fifty-first (approximate) retelling fantasy became fact, is insane."

Number [2] sounds like Riverside Redneck on the subject of AIDS and his god. Number [4] is KiMare. Number [1] is the whole religion
Brilliant analysis doc.

And I agree with your conclusions as well.

You didn't mention either Dave or Buck.

They are simply de facto inane, then?

:)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213607 Feb 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
And have you seen how the Redneck keeps kissing Buck's ass?
A possible love child connection?

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213608 Feb 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I know, it's a terrible thing that Satan guy is achieving.
Say hi to him for me, idiot.
LMAO!
tricki

Boyertown, PA

#213609 Feb 20, 2014
“Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.”–Adolf Hitler (Mein Kampf)

Atheist's proof God exists. Atheists trust Hitler's word and he said he believed in God.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213610 Feb 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
That should be weddings, not wedding.
Remember, you walked out on your first wife, after you hit her.
Indeed he did-- likely because she (correctly) accused him of pedophilia...

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213611 Feb 20, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but someone else asked me something along those lines. But, no connection.
I like the balance and measured view in the saying "six of one, half dozen of the other". Hence, the name.
Pleasure to meet you ;-)
Well, that makes perfect sense.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213612 Feb 20, 2014
Six_Of_One wrote:
<quoted text>
So babies with AIDS weren't being sexually moral? Really?
Besides sounding insane, you sound quite cold. I imagine you have zero sense of compassion.
It wouldn't syrprise me if you also believed that every victim in the world is really to blame for their own victimization.
It is true-- he has absolutely zero compassion.

For example, he positively delights at the idea of the infinite torture his god is going to do.

He's said so on multiple occasions.

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213613 Feb 20, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Mac does indeed rule.
Windows 8 is, without a doubt, pathetic.
Neither one.

Android has both of these beat, hands-down.

And I have a memory slot too.(in addition to higher resolution and more memory on my tablet, for less money)

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#213614 Feb 20, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, you are a complete idiot.
Satan.
In 2014 yet.
I know you're a high school dropout, but dude!
LOL!

I expect, given his temper-tantrums, he was expelled rather than a drop-out.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min Liam 637,323
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min It aint necessari... 28,409
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 3 min Johnny 4,742
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 9 min Tony 6,038
Who's the best fighter: Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee,... (Jan '08) 10 min hamid 559
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 10 min Not religious 44,128
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 33 min Memorial Day Sock 618,157
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr pusherman 968,773
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 18 hr truth 37,988
More from around the web