Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258476 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#213018 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I answered your question with substantive examples
No you didn't.
KiMare wrote:
We are talking about your foolish attempt to elevate atheistic behavior above Christian behavior.
I wasn't. I was talking about prophecy and character.

What is atheistic behavior? Not believing? Atheist describes what we are not, not what we are.

Christian behavior is nothing for you to be proud of.
KiMare wrote:
How would you know what goes on in Churches anyway
Exactly. So why are calling them charities and giving them tax breaks? Why are you making claims about the church's largesse? The little bit of information that we have about what goes on in churches and Christian charities is pretty damning.
KiMare wrote:
you have no business judging anyone, do you.
SMile.
That may be what the church prefers, but it is incorrect. What the church does becomes everybody's business by virtue of its unwelcome presence in politics and social engineering.

Just look at you. Do you think that the rest of us don't have a legitimate interest in the institution that spits out people like you by the millions?

Fennario

#213019 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
how do you address the fulfilled prophesies I noted?
Again? Sorry. All you get is a few words: low quality by virtue of being nonspecific, mundane and/or self-fulfilling. For fuller explanations, refer to previous posts.

Fennario

#213020 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
LOL, very clever until you look at the second link that comes up;
http://withalliamgod.wordpress.com/2011/01/21...
Bazinga!
Did you have a point? Your claim was that, "there have been myths about sex with gods. But never did pregnancy and virginity go together in any of these incidents" The rebuttal was that virgin birth was a common claim in pre-Christian mythology.

Did you intend to refute that with an essay by a Christian apologist addressing one of the dozen or so examples I provided you? Did you not see where your apologist wrote, "we could say its a kind of a virgin birth"?

And you used the second link. Why not the first, which was entitled "Attis: Born of a Virgin on December 25th, Crucified and Resurrected after Three Days" < http://www.truthbeknown.com/attis.html > Both links confirm that the mythology of Attis includes a virgin birth, as do all of the others.

And that is just one entry on the list of people allegedly born to virgins before Jesus. You've still got Augustus, Agdistis, Antiope, Auge, Adonis, Buddha, Danae, Dionysus, Glycon, Heracles, Horus, Korybas, Krishna, Melanippe, Mithras, Odysseus, Osirus, Perseus, Romulus and Remus, Tammuz, and Zoroaster to go.

Your claim was wrong, it's been demonstrated, and your inability to understand what you read or to make progress is of no concern or interest to the thread. It's time to move on.

======

Regarding "Bazinga" - Sheldon Cooper's signature exclamation, I just read this at http://chrisstedman.religionnews.com/2014/02/...

"HBO’s True Detective, which debuted last month to glowing reviews, features an atheist lead character played by Matthew McConaughey. He marks the latest entry in a rising trend: Atheist characters in popular TV shows. Last year, two characters on the acclaimed CBS show The Good Wife—including protagonist Alicia Florrick, played by Julianna Margulies—made waves after declaring their atheism. Others in recent years have included Patrick Jane in The Mentalist, Gregory House in House, and Sheldon Cooper in The Big Bang Theory."

The culture is progressing with or without the consent of dinosaurs like you struggling to preserve Christian preferential treatment and hegemony. Bazinga!

Fennario

#213021 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Look, you cannot admit that a whole culture and the most significant religion in human history are quality prophecies. I get it. In fact, I got it long ago. I just like twisting the knife in your denial. Smile.
You don't see this kind of malice or seething hatred coming from any of the unbelievers posting here. I blame the church that taught you ethics and forged your character, which you have just called a "whole culture and the most significant religion in human history."

But it has failed us every chance it got. And it failed you.

Fennario

#213022 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The truth is disgusting?
Your "truth" disgusts me.

But I don't blame you. You are the product of an ideology that was likely dropped into your playpen by well meaning and unwitting parents, parents that are or were a lot like you and their parents before them.

Your religion is a like a virus of the human spirit that passes from generation to generation blighting budding consciences and intellects just as it has with you and many others like you posting here. It has been an impediment to progress, but that seems to be coming to an end in Europe and the English speaking world. That's a very good thing.

If you'd like to try to counter that allegation, try being a better man. Stop twisting virtual knives, smirking, and repeating those disgusting and hateful Christian "truths" for starters.

Fennario

#213023 Feb 18, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The Proverbs passage is words of wisdom. It is the basis of scientific discovery. Of course you scoff. Smile.
Yes, I scoff at all of that.
KiMare wrote:
you idiots make yourselves look dumb. I'd be embarrassed. Smirk.
No you wouldn't be embarrassed. I'm quite sure of that.
KiMare wrote:
You equated Islam and Christianity today. Either validate your claim or rescind it.
<quoted text>
She equated the violence of Islam in the present day with Christianity.
You could not do it either.
Smile.
You changed your claim after I rebutted what you posted, which made no mention of violence.

I also happened to address your inference that Christianity is superior to Islam because it is less violent: "The main difference between the two is that Christianity has been subject to centuries of humanisitic influence since the end of the Western Middle Ages, and no longer executes adulterers, for example - the very differences that Christians point to when announcing their superiority to Islam."

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#213024 Feb 18, 2014

Catcher1

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#213025 Feb 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
Do we need to fuss over what kind of ignorant he was? He had great faith, and now he's dead.
Are you familiar with the Darwin Awards?
The preacher's son has vowed to take over the church and continue the use of poisonous snakes in their rituals.

A perfect example of "keep the faith."

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#213026 Feb 18, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:

Really?
Are you a mind reader?
If so, you're not a very good one because "the marriage certificate is just a piece of paper", were not words uttered by me, in my supposed marriage that I was never unfaithful in and did not abandon.
When there's no love, a contract is exactly what it is, it's all it is. If it wasn't, marriage would not be a legal issue at all.
When there's love, marriage is only deemed necessary, by the law as well as societal standards set by people who are not me.
Throughout history, marriage has been nothing more than a business transaction and sacred love, requires no legal bondage.
In our society, marriage is never deemed necessary. It's a personal choice.

I don't view marriage as a legal contract like you heartless Topix Atheists! do. I view it as a holy and sacred bond between a couple before God, a covenant.

To degrade marriage down to just a "legal contract" is ludicrous to me.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213027 Feb 18, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
I’m picking on our Atheist friends but I do agree with separation from Church and State. In my opinion where there’s a historical preference already in place. Such as with memorial crosses from WWII for example. Those should stay in place because they are now part of history.
If these Ten Commandments have been on display on government property for 50 years. They’re now part of the communities history and should remain.
Anyway these guys are fun to pick on. And they take it so well.[smiling]
In that particular story you linked to, the Ten Commandments display was not on public property. It was on private property out in front of the courthouse.

Separation established.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213028 Feb 18, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
So says Mr. Divorced.
I know, blame the woman.
Eagle 12 wrote:
Always two sides to every story.
You don’t know both sides so you just step down from your podium and stop passing judgment on people.
You are asking a possible feat from an impossible man.....

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213029 Feb 18, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
.. welcome home RR; we all missed you ..
.. either you're a bit prejudice against gays (mediocre bigot) or I'm overly sensitive ..
.. cant decide which one ..
.. but, unequivocally, you are a prime specimen for the sociological study of misogyny and racial bigotry ..
.. and, a bible thumper ..
I'll thump it against yet tight buttocks muscles.

How bout that?

Hi

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213030 Feb 18, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
How do you know they're lesbian?

They might be bi.

They might be acting.

Ya never know.

Why label them?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213031 Feb 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Unable to speak?!
No, that's not what I said.
blacklagoon wrote:
Yes you did, you agreed with eagle 12 assessment that anyone who doesn't believe in YOUR God is dumb.
Oh.

Yes, apologies. I neglected to check the Topix Atheist! simple-minded dictionary of one-meaning words.

My bad.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213032 Feb 18, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Are you an idiot, right there before your face......"these signs will accompany those who believe in my name,, they will PICK UP snakes. Anyone who wants to validate their belief and be on the "right side" of God, would do those things without worrying about the dangers as in "It will not hurt them."
There is no commandment, just a very plain instruction that, if you believe in me, do these things, they can't hurt you.
There is a direct commandment which invalidates your little hypothesis.

Jesus answered him, "It is said: Do not test the Lord your God."

Those folks that test God are as foolish as you.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213033 Feb 18, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
You had a thought? Prove it.
Fyi, ar ar hit his ex wife that he divorced, on the head.
She had it comin.

I warned her over and over again to stop biting me. I begged her to stop.

She didn't.

Bitch got bopped on the head.

Then she stopped.

You see, if a woman is man enough to hit, she's man enough to get hit.

Never forget that.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#213034 Feb 18, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>She had it comin.

I warned her over and over again to stop biting me. I begged her to stop.

She didn't.

Bitch got bopped on the head.

Then she stopped.

You see, if a woman is man enough to hit, she's man enough to get hit.

Never forget that.
Never forget that?

You're an idiot.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

Since: Oct 10

With Established Harem

#213035 Feb 18, 2014
ROCCO wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow!
Looks like you just gave this thread's Christian heterosexual males on this thread something to fantasize about - married, or not!
LOL
Roc
Lightbeamer's level of seriousness is perplexing. and we all suffer for his sanity.

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213036 Feb 18, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
"Animals don't have Gods, they're smarter than that"
True, but they're immoral enough to eat their young.

Is that what the Topix Atheist! aspires for?

RiversideRedneck

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#213037 Feb 18, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Or give it two neurons - at least not while he was out of bed or on his feet. His CNS would be spoken for.
Have you seen Honey Boo-Boo and her family?
I like the Robertson's because of their strong Christian and family values.

I've seen Honey Boo-Boo but never watched the show. I watched about 2 minutes of it on YouTube a few weeks ago and had to turn it off. Talk about ridiculous....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min TRUE CATHOLIC 695,765
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 28 min Deep Grope 60,435
Prove there is No God 50 min Tellthetruth 7
Last Post Wins !!! [ game time :) ] (Jan '11) 57 min Hatti_Hollerand 2,500
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Tellthetruth 994,118
Dem Livertard Are All Liars& Narcists 2 hr The One 3
Is America 'Mystery Babylon,' mentioned in the ... 2 hr town drunk 20
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 3 hr River Boat Gambler 6,791
wierd situation with my mom. (Jul '14) Feb 19 Pimpy 23
More from around the web