Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254884 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#212688 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Really.
Care to do a comparative kill list of religious violence for today?
Gay couples have a piece of paper claiming that your mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered relationship equates to marriage. That distinction bothers you immensely, in spite of your claim otherwise.
You know as well as I do that nothing can change the inferior status of your relationship. It is visibly a counterfeit, scientifically defective mating behavior, factually fallacious and socially a forced sympathy to denial.
Smile.
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
A decent Christian dosn't smirk at others.
It's in the Bible somewhere.
And if it isn't, it should be.
Elijah mocked the prophets of Baal.

One of many examples.

You don't know my belief system.

I am a redeemed cynic who remains barbarian.

Location hidden

#212689 Feb 16, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
But that doesn't answer the question I asked KiMare, amigo, which is mostly rhetorical anyway, since we know most of the answer - nothing, unless you count false hope, which has no value to me since I have accepted the fact that there is probably no afterlife, and am at peace with that.
The benefit I am discussing is eternity in heaven. Nobody this side of the grave sees and enjoys that benefit, whatever level of spiritual discernment they are claiming for themselves. There is only faith that the promise of heaven can and will be kept.
Even if right behavior had no reward, it hardly legitimizes it.

But only an idiot would deny that every action does not have an equal and opposite reaction. Many times, reactions that are totally unanticipated.

SMile.

Location hidden

#212692 Feb 16, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I think my thesis in that subthread has been that KiMare has invested considerable resources in a promise that not only cannot be validated and need not be kept, but which comes from a source that has made other promises that haven't been kept.
You seem to be saying that faith in scripture - choosing to accept it as authoritative - is an adequate basis for trusting it. Why isn't faith in any other contradictory and mutually exclusive position just as valid?
Really.

I note that the Jewish culture exists today that is exactly what the Alien predicted.

I note that Jesus, when he was a nobody in a occupied country, predicted the existence of the Church, many of which bless the very community you live in.

Both exist and have withstood vicious assaults over their entire existence, your scoffing being one of the weakest.
OG Kush

United States

#212693 Feb 16, 2014
Henry wrote:
<quoted text>
Good old Mark Twain, how I love it.
“The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.”~Mark Twain

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”~Mark Twain

"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows." ~Mark Twain

Jeopardy ?? and the author is...
"He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches"

Location hidden

#212694 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Lost opportunity? You failed to answer my challenge of how atheists equate to the service and generosity of Christians.
<quoted text>
You haven't established that Christians outperform atheists. You merely assume and assert it. If you aren't spending your charitable contributions directly on the intended beneficiaries, as in buying them groceries or paying their utility bills, you're probably accomplishing next to nothing except lining some scam artists pocket.
What fraction of the money given to churches do you suppose makes its way past the clergy and the cost of running those franchises? Money spent building new churches or paying the pastor's mortgage payment isn't what I call charity
<quoted text>
Really? That sounds hollow. I get my reward serving people.
Get serious.

In the very community you live in, there are countless Christian ministries that not only encourage wise living by their members, but they reach into the lives of those outside their faith and serve without recompense.

Is there ONE atheist organization in your community doing any such thing?

Having buildings to service those ministries and enable some to serve full time in that pursuit is a vice??? Pure ignorant, hateful bigotry.

Location hidden

#212696 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Did you think I did it because I'd get something back? What self-centered idiocy.
<quoted text>
There is no reason to believe that you have any other motive than saving your soul.
<quoted text>
In this one exchange, you follow the same pattern of all your responses.

Empty scoffing.

By your own admission, my faith is without substance. Yet you judge that as the only basis for my behavior while in your previous post credit yourself as rewarded for a much lessor degree of the same behavior.

Good behavior has it's own reward. Heaven is not the reward of works, it is a gift. This is at the essence of Christianity and yet you are ignorant of it.

Moreover, I find it an act of silly jealousy that you demean those who devote their lives to service and self betterment for whatever reason.

Location hidden

#212697 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I did. They didn't say what you claimed. Aside from the fact that those have been debunked. I'm just asking you to validate the first five. What's wrong? Smile.
<quoted text>
I can't help you beside direct you to the claims. I can't read them for you, nor make you understand what the words say.
I also can't validate them. They are false claims.
And how did you or anybody else debunk any of the claims of competing mythologies. Faith?
I'm simply noting that those mythologies did not include virgin births. Some of your sites didn't even assert that claim. I'm simply asking you to validate the first five.

I sure hope you have a better basis for your other ideas about Christianity than this. So far it appears you are the one operating on faith...

SMirk.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212698 Feb 16, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Middle age Sun? You sure about that?
Do you why the Sun has 98% of the mass but only 2% of angle momentum in our solar system? Do you know why the planets do NOT match the evolutionary model? Saturn, Jupiter, Mars,Earth...
Of course not, because you are an idiot!
Yes, quite sure, or at least as sure as cosmologists are. The sun has used up half of its hydrogen fuel in the last 46 billion years, it has enough left for another 5 billions years, which puts it at approximately "middle age"
Are you talking about ANGULAR momentum? Not sure what angle momentum is.
Yes, the sun should be spinning much faster than it is, cosmology points to the solar winds as the cause for its spinning slower. Solar winds move away from the sun into interplanetary space carrying some of the suns angular momentum with it. Although the solar winds carry very small particles, over 5 billion years the vast amount of escaping particles have robbed the sun of much of its initial spin.
I know what the Institution of Creation Research claims about the current cosmological models on the evolutions of planets has to say, but thats not science. To claim that anything from the Institute of Creation Research is actually science is laughable. Any kind of "research" with an agenda. especially a religious agenda is, idiocy.
There is a reason all of their so called research is laughed at by mainstream science, basically because it is NOT science. None of it is subjected to peer review, nor is any of it published in reputable scientific journals. It's a religious agenda that twists real science to fit within it's unfounded belief system. I'm not sure why any intelligent human being is not completely embarrassed in believing in this bullshit. Could it be that lack of intelligence, reason, logic, and skepticism allow such beliefs in unscientific claims? Yeah, I think that may be it!!!
OG Kush

United States

#212700 Feb 16, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
What do you want to learn?
I play Sax, piano, guitar, banjo, harmonica.
I've got skills...
What do you want to learn?
Col. Sanders secret recipe

I play Sax, piano, guitar, banjo, harmonica.
I play the radio flawlessly.

I've got skills...
Are you home skilled?
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212701 Feb 16, 2014
EXPERT wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you have a real question?
Melody based on a minor 7th, get real troll.
Oh, this is great, I asked you 4 legitimate questions any accomplished musician should know. I got you right by the short hairs skippy, you didn't even recognize any of these questions as legitimate, what a phony assclown you are. Maybe you're just an amateur, someone who thinks they know what they're doing, but are laughed at by real musicians.

First off I never mentioned a "melody" based on a minor 7th, but I can list 100 pieces of music that use a melody based on a minor 7th, what a dope you are. An expert in all things eh,Bwhaaa ha ha ha ha. Now would you like another shot at it, just to stave of embarrassment?

Expert in all things, here's an easy one for you, you're playing your saxophone, by the way, which saxophone do you play, and how does it transposes as related to concert pitch? and you see the chord symbol A7, and you are in the key of Bb, what scale do you play? I'll even give you the first couple of notes, you fill the the rest "expert in all things" a,b, c# supply the next 5 notes..........Ready....set... .Go..........habha ha

Location hidden

#212702 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You tried to equate scriptural prophecy and scientific theory. They don't.
<quoted text>
Read my words again. I said that they are not equal. Biblical prophecy doesn't meet the standard for quality prophesy - you know, the ones you scoffingly dismiss without a rebuttal.
<quoted text>
You equated it to scientific proof, not 'quality prophecy'.

However, you still simply deny the fact that the Alien and Jesus both give valid prophecies that we see the results of today.

Location hidden

#212703 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I equated specific points of the Creation story to science.
<quoted text>
Your myth got almost none of the facts right. The Genesis version completely overlooked the singularity, the expansion of the universe, the inflationary epoch, symmetry breaking, particle condensation, nucleosynthsis, the decoupling of matter and radiation, etc.. All it seems to have gotten right is that the universe had a beginning - just like every other creation myth.
If that were true, why did you not specifically address the points?

And the one you did mention, you censored the specific point of it being created out of nothing as the Big Bang Theory asserts.

SMile.
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#212704 Feb 16, 2014
OG Kush wrote:
<quoted text>
“The radical of one century is the conservative of the next. The radical invents the views. When he has worn them out the conservative adopts them.”~Mark Twain
“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”~Mark Twain
"A man is accepted into a church for what he believes and he is turned out for what he knows." ~Mark Twain
Jeopardy ?? and the author is...
"He who can, does; he who cannot, teaches"
"He who can, does: he who cannot, teaches"

No matter what you want to study, who would you want as your teacher, someone who can and does, but also teaches? Someone who has done, but now chooses to teach? Or someone who has never done but teaches?

It's an idiotic statement because it doesn't deal with the number of possibilities or of the numerous perspectives.

Location hidden

#212705 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You implied a 'big''we' on here invalidated the prophecies I noted that are fulfilled.
<quoted text>
My arguments stand. Your prophecies are respected by nobody except other faith based thinkers because they don't meet the minimum criteria of rational skeptics. Your claims that those prophecies are special or even interesting have been rejected by virtue of failing to meet these criteria - criteria that you have already conceded are of no interest to you. What more is there to say to somebody like you? We have no basis for discussion - no shared assumptions.
"Water is two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen. What if someone says,“Well, that’s not how I choose to think about water.&#12539; All we can do is appeal to scientific values. And if he doesn’t share those values, the conversation is over ." - Sam Harris
"If someone doesn’t value evidence, what evidence are you going to provide to prove they should value it? If someone doesn’t value logic, what logical argument could you provide to show the importance of logic?" - Sam Harris
<quoted text>
Your ideas and behavior speak to the merit of faith based thought.
You are still trying to divert the issue. You falsely asserted a majority opinion.

Now you falsely assert that all Biblical prophecies are rejected by rational people.

Moreover, I note only two;

The Alien prophesied the Jews would survive with distinction in human history.

Jesus prophesied the birth and survival of the Church.

Both exist to this day, yet you claim they are not valid prophecies.

That's not a 'rational skeptic', it's a faith based skeptic...

Smirk.

Location hidden

#212706 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Really.
Care to do a comparative kill list of religious violence for today?
Gay couples have a piece of paper claiming that your mutually sterile, pointlessly duplicate gendered relationship equates to marriage. That distinction bothers you immensely, in spite of your claim otherwise.
You know as well as I do that nothing can change the inferior status of your relationship. It is visibly a counterfeit, scientifically defective mating behavior, factually fallacious and socially a forced sympathy to denial.
Smile.
<quoted text>
The system that put such ideas in your head can't disappear from the world soon enough. A man who speaks like you do has nothing to say to decent people.
Oh please, be specific, what ideas are you speaking of?

Smile.

Location hidden

#212707 Feb 16, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Notice his tacit admission that the science is correct. He is hoping to make his mythology appear to conform to it.
No 'tacit admission' at all. I claimed science finally caught up with the Bible.

And just a note. Until recently,'science' resembled mythological creation events more than the Bible account ever has.

Here is another creation account, the very basis for science;

Proverbs 8:22-31 (GW)
22 “The LORD already possessed me long ago, when his way began, before any of his works.
23 I was appointed from everlasting from the first, before the earth began.
24 I was born before there were oceans, before there were springs filled with water.
25 I was born before the mountains were settled in their places and before the hills,
26 when he had not yet made land or fields or the first dust of the world.
27 “When he set up the heavens, I was there. When he traced the horizon on the surface of the ocean,
28 when he established the skies above, when he determined the currents in the ocean,
29 when he set a limit for the sea so the waters would not overstep his command, when he traced the foundations of the earth,
30 I was beside him as a master craftsman. I made him happy day after day, I rejoiced in front of him all the time,
31 found joy in his inhabited world, and delighted in the human race.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#212708 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
You implied a 'big''we' on here invalidated the prophecies I noted that are fulfilled.
<quoted text>
You are still trying to divert the issue. You falsely asserted a majority opinion.
Now you falsely assert that all Biblical prophecies are rejected by rational people.
Moreover, I note only two;
The Alien prophesied the Jews would survive with distinction in human history.
Jesus prophesied the birth and survival of the Church.
Both exist to this day, yet you claim they are not valid prophecies.
That's not a 'rational skeptic', it's a faith based skeptic...
Smirk.
And now I prophecy.

I predict that tomorrow, in the city of London, England, a child will be born.

So will a cat, a rat, and a dog.

See how easy?
Backspace

United States

#212709 Feb 16, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
I equated specific points of the Creation story to science.
<quoted text>
If that were true, why did you not specifically address the points?
And the one you did mention, you censored the specific point of it being created out of nothing as the Big Bang Theory asserts.
SMile.
At least you used less than 50 words to show you have no idea what you're talking about.

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212710 Feb 16, 2014
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
they disappeared at the same moment
Well, they could be the same religious fundie-troll, no?

Or more likely, they have got together for some shared ecstasy...

“Quantum Junctn: Use Both Lanes”

Since: Dec 06

Tulsa, Oklahoma USofA

#212711 Feb 16, 2014
Chris Clearwater wrote:
The sun rose this morning just after 7:00 local time. It's been a very long time since I've been on the Atlantic. A few local fishermen are setting up. What a day we have that The Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be thankful.
No.

The day is the direct result of the earth spinning on it's axis, coupled with a natural runaway thermonuclear reaction approximately 8 light minutes away.

Your "lord" had damn-all to do with either event.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 8 min Darwins Stepchild 28,346
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 22 min onemale 280,469
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 24 min spinosaurus baryonyx 104,195
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 33 min Highest Comandmen... 44,107
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 37 min VIKING 968,672
Play "end of the word" part 2 41 min ImFree2Choose 1,429
Should Black People Forgive White People for Sl... (Jun '07) 51 min MUQ2 4,739
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 54 min Praise Jesus 637,231
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 2 hr truth 37,988
More from around the web