Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 20 comments on the Jul 18, 2009, Webbunny tumblelog story titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#212142 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Scripture clearly says that God is a debtor to no man. Anyone who gives in faith is reciprocated in some form. Those with spiritual discernment see and enjoy the benefits.
Bongo...

Haven't you got it trough your thick head yet that "scripture" holds no authority for IANS?

Come up with a different argument.
Bongo

Medford, NY

#212144 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Bongo...
Haven't you got it trough your thick head yet that "scripture" holds no authority for IANS?
Come up with a different argument.
It holds authority with the believer and is the basis for the action that Ians is asserting is ridiculous and futile.

#212145 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> It holds authority with the believer and is the basis for the action that Ians is asserting is ridiculous and futile.
Yeah, well, that's your problem.

#212146 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> It holds authority with the believer and is the basis for the action that Ians is asserting is ridiculous and futile.
Ask yourself this...

If a Muslim quoted the Quran to support his argument, would you be convinced?

Didn't think so.

#212147 Feb 12, 2014
Happy Darwin Day!

#212148 Feb 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
...Darwinism, which is atheistic.
Buck lies again.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#212149 Feb 12, 2014
Buck Crick wrote:
<quoted text>
You claimed the Pope accepted Darwinism, which is atheistic.
You claimed it over and over.
But you failed to produce a spec of evidence for it.
Then you just lied and said you did.
The Catholic Encyclopedia is clear. It is not the Discovery Institute saying it:
"We must carefully distinguish between the different meanings of the words theory of evolution in order to give a clear and correct answer to this question. We must distinguish (1) between the theory of evolution as a scientific hypothesis and as a philosophical speculation; (2) between the theory of evolution as based on theistic principles and as based on a materialistic and atheistic foundation; (3) between the theory of evolution and Darwinism;...
"Darwinism and the theory of evolution are by no means equivalent conceptions."
"This use of the word rests on an evident confusion of ideas, and must therefore be set aside."
You lose again, Christinemc^2.
No it is not atheistic Ė it really does not matter how often your stamp your foot.

I have provided you with several definitions from several DIFFERENT dictionaries and you have provided one definition as quoted by the discovery institute. I am to busy to find you more definition, the ones I have already provided are evidence enough. So go suck your own pedantic d*** while whistling through your butt cheeks

And still 3 popes beat you archbishop

#212150 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck doesn't do evidence. He just makes assertions.
However, he is very quick to DEMAND evidence...and then reject it when it is provided.
Thatís the buck we all know and loath

#212151 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Buck lies again.
The only definition of Darwinism that I can find that mentions atheism is the discovery institute version. Copied and cloned by various other fundi thickos of no provenance.

#212152 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo

Medford, NY

#212153 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Ask yourself this...
If a Muslim quoted the Quran to support his argument, would you be convinced?
Didn't think so.
Muslims are under the law. A wise one would become a defector. Grace is much better.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#212154 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Perhaps a competent psychiatrist can help you with your intolerance of Buck always being right. For now I suggest you breath into a paper bag.
Why do you think it can come to life?
That noise only works in the bible.
Eagle 12

Troy, IL

#212155 Feb 12, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
It's known as trading addictions, it's quite common for someone to have a god experience to quit an addiction. Or a criminal to have a god experience to quit being a thief. Its trading one addiction to another, people with addictive personalities do this. some need the authority figure watching over their shoulder to break their addictions. But you see it isn't self will alone that breaks the addiction, this type can fall back into bad habits quite easily, they just trade addictions again. The true will comes from self and the authority over you is you.
This is true inner strength, and pure will. Not trading the addiction but dropping it and realizing you have the control over self.
No one that Iím aware of has been delivered from drug and alcohol addictions because of Atheism. This thought of trading one addition for another may be true. But trading a self destructing drug addiction for a non self destructive addiction seems like a win for the society and the redeemed.

A lot of these drug/alcohol addicted people are a danger to society. They have problems maintaining employment. They have to steal and commit crimes to acquire their drugs. They drive impaired putting innocent people at risk of being killed or permanently injured.

Iíll think attending church services and singing too loud during song service is an addiction that is welcomed by most of us in society. God is and will be forever the restorer of the souls of men. Bringing the wrecked lives of the wretched unto full restoration by the power of his name. Thatís something Atheism can never do.[tipping hat]
Bongo

Medford, NY

#212156 Feb 12, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
This is aimed at Buck and his single, dogmatic definition of atheism.
:
1 ĎAtheism [...] is the belief that there is no God or godsí(Baggini 2003:3)
2 ĎAt its core, atheism [...] designates a position (not a ďbeliefĒ) that includes or asserts no god (.
So atheism is a position ? Which of the various positions? Perhaps its the strutiform position?

#212157 Feb 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No one that Iím aware of has been delivered from drug and alcohol addictions because of Atheism. This thought of trading one addition for another may be true. But trading a self destructing drug addiction for a non self destructive addiction seems like a win for the society and the redeemed.
A lot of these drug/alcohol addicted people are a danger to society. They have problems maintaining employment. They have to steal and commit crimes to acquire their drugs. They drive impaired putting innocent people at risk of being killed or permanently injured.
Iíll think attending church services and singing too loud during song service is an addiction that is welcomed by most of us in society. God is and will be forever the restorer of the souls of men. Bringing the wrecked lives of the wretched unto full restoration by the power of his name. Thatís something Atheism can never do.[tipping hat]
Not one addiction clinic in the UK is affiliated to any church

Is this the same god who carried out the forst genocide of the entire human race except got a handful of his buddies?

Is this the same god who went around killing children because he did not like Egyptians?

Is this the same god who condoned rape and slavery?

Oh that god, yes he is surely the restorer of the souls of men, Hitler learned well from his book

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#212158 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
So all atheists agree?
Do you know what an atheist is? It is a single idea: "I reject all unsubstantiated god claims," which is all of them to date. On that, yes, we all agree.
KiMare wrote:
I listed several prophesies. Your only response has been childish silly scoffing.
Read my responses again. I detailed the criteria for quality prophecy and explained why your stuff and lightbeamrider's doesn't make the grade. They lack specificity, are generally mundane, in one case it was self-fulfilling, and in every case, your prophecies are drowning in a sea of failed prophecies surrounding them.

I also compared religious prophecy with scientific prophecy. Yours didn't fare so well.

Shall I find those posts for you?

You seem to think that your use of the word "scoff" defeats a rebuttal. It doesn't. Your claims such as the ones in this post to which I responded are scoffworthy.

Fennario

#212159 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
The first Brief History of Time is the Bible. It not only got the Big Bang first, it also noted that life was created out of the earth and began as a simple genderless life form. And the the human race began in one location. That is just in two very short chapters.
Your creation myth got nothing more right than the Viking or Babylonian creation myths. Here's the Norse creation myth. Please explain how yours is better:

"Odin, Vili, and Vť killed the giant Ymir. The sons of Bor then ... made the world from him. From his blood they made the sea and the lakes; from his flesh the earth; from his hair the trees; and from his bones the mountains. They made rocks and pebbles from his teeth and jaws and those bones that were broken. Maggots appeared in Ymir's flesh and came to life. By the decree of the gods they acquired human understanding and the appearance of men, although they lived in the earth and in rocks. From Ymir's skull the sons of Bor made the sky ... The sons of Bor flung Ymir's brains into the air, and they became the clouds. Then they took the sparks and burning embers that were flying about after they had been blown out of Muspell, and placed them in the midst of Ginnungagap to give light to heaven above and earth beneath. To the stars they gave appointed places and paths.

Here's the Babylonians' myth at http://mesopotamia.mrdonn.org/marduk.html :

"The mighty Marduk took his club and split Tiamatís body in half. He placed half of her body in the sky and made the heavens. He created the moon to guard the heavens, and set it moving back and forth, on endless patrol. With the other half of Tiamat's body he made the land."

Same challenge. How are your mud man and rib woman any better than that?

And yes, I am scoffing.

Fennario

#212160 Feb 12, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I said Christians outnumber atheists. Smile.
And high school dropouts outnumber people with doctorate degrees. Did you have a point?

Fennario

#212161 Feb 12, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> You are a virtuous person and also have the ability to present cogent arguments which should have a good effect on those who prefer peace. There are bad guys out there who cause people like you to get lumped in. I don't think persons like you caused atheophoboia.
Thanks, but I don't think any atheist is responsible for the way atheists are regarded.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#212162 Feb 12, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's a rag , you need to mop up behind your ears. lol (Tips the waitress)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 min confrinting with ... 584,352
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 min Darwins Stepchild 828,627
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 29 min Good-Evil 3,547
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 35 min AntiqueAnnie 611,869
Why do so many blacks FORNICATE even though God... 39 min andet1987 9
Why I'll Never Date a Filipina... 43 min andet1987 10
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 1 hr andet1987 5,795
Why Iím no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 2 hr ChristineM 442,876
More from around the web