Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258473 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#211897 Feb 10, 2014
http://tinyurl.com/lbhkww7
Eagle 12 wrote:
(...) Here is just one of many prophecies that was fulfilled(...)
But...
Eagle 12 wrote:
In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared(...)
Where...
Eagle 12 wrote:
Some 400 years before(...)
How...
Eagle 12 wrote:
Mighty Babylon, 196 miles(...)
Hold on, where's the evidence that support these claims made in the bible?

<Bird-theist> "In the bible, of course ...You just read the bible and once a prophecy is made in the bible, later on while reading the bible, you read in the bible that the bible prophecy made in the bible was fulfilled just like the bible said .... "

"OH"

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#211898 Feb 10, 2014
scaritual wrote:
But...
Eagle 12 wrote, "In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared(...)"

Where...
Eagle 12 wrote, "Some 400 years before(...)"

How...
Eagle 12 wrote, "Mighty Babylon, 196 miles(...) "

Hold on, where's the evidence that support these claims made in the bible?

<Bird-theist> "In the bible, of course ...You just read the bible and once a prophecy is made in the bible, later on while reading the bible, you read in the bible that the bible prophecy made in the bible was fulfilled just like the bible said .... "

"OH"
Ok, this is way funnier.

Hi, scar :D

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211899 Feb 10, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> But...
<quoted text>
Where...
<quoted text> How...
<quoted text> Hold on, where's the evidence that support these claims made in the bible?
"OH"
Kinda like in Harry Potter where it was prophesied that Harry would be the bane of Voldemort. And guess what. Harry WAS the bane of Voldemort. So there you have it. A prophecy fulfilled.

All hail Harry Potter.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#211900 Feb 10, 2014
KiMare wrote:
You falsely deny that the Bible contains numerous profound things,

A nobody in a subjected country, rejected by his own people, predicted the birth of Christianity. You pretend that is of no account, DESPITE THE FACT THAT CHRISTIANS SIGNIFICANTLY OUTNUMBER ATHEISTS!
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't seen anything profound in it. You simply insist otherwise.
<quoted text>
And I explained to you why that was a trivial prediction, not profound. Somewhere today, somebody will predict the correct lottery numbers. The proper way to understand the significance of that is in the context of all of the other lottery prophets that failed. Every cult that claims to have secret and powerful knowledge or divine favor sees itself as the early Christians did. Some will be correct about their longevity just as some will be correct in their choice of lottery numbers. So what?
You waste my time 'it'.

You claim rationality and compare a faith that requires self-sacrifice with a chance opportunity for wealth. Clearly apples and Pluto.

That is not reason, it is idiotic scoffing.masquerading as intelligence.

The fact is, Judaism and Christianity stand apart from any religion or belief system, in spite of your religious 'lottery'. One maintains it's identity while every other culture fails, the other transforms every culture and religion it comes in contact with.

The fact is, Jesus' prophecy was fulfilled and is in practice today.

#211901 Feb 10, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
Gosh darn it! Bloody profits..
*walks off shaking head in disgust*
If I write a book telling the future, and sell it for $9.99 a copy, does that make me a profit?

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#211902 Feb 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>If I write a book telling the future, and sell it for $9.99 a copy, does that make me a profit?
Lol.

Affirmative.

Location hidden

#211903 Feb 10, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Even more interestingly, Jesus makes that claim at the literal location of the Roman/Greek 'gate of hell'. It also was the location of the Temple of Pan. In the very face of the 'wisdom of that age', he made his prophecy. In historical short order, not only were those gods dismissed, but the very power of that time, the Roman Empire was converted!
<quoted text>
Why is that profound or even interesting? Do you know the Texas Sharpshooter fallacy?
"You cherry-picked a data cluster to suit your argument, or found a pattern to fit a presumption."
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/the-texas-sh...
"You tend to ignore random chance when the results seem meaningful or when you want a random event to have a meaningful cause."
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/09/11/the-te...
I 'cherry picked' nothing. A nobody who claimed to be God in flesh stood at the gates of hell and prophesied about the power of future followers. In short order, that belief system turned the most powerful Empire on it's head. It continues to do so with kingdoms and religions. Hardly random or chance.

The only thing you have revealed is your denial.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211904 Feb 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
If I write a book telling the future, and sell it for $9.99 a copy, does that make me a profit?
Or does it make you a prophet for profit?

Location hidden

#211905 Feb 10, 2014
<quoted text>
Perhaps you should explain why you think this stuff is valuable. Nobody else here seems to. You probably think that you have special insight. I suspect that the majority see you as I do, which is a little different from that.
LOL, who are you talking about? Five people on here?

Sunday I attended a Church with 4,000 people who disagree with all of your group. Later I attended a meeting of over 100 professional people, including professors from a large liberal college. We meet weekly to study and discuss the Bible. All of us view our faith as so valuable, we devote your time, resources and talent to serve literally around the world.

Your response? Scoffing.

Lets put the shoe on the other foot. Tell me, what value do you offer through your atheism?
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211906 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
So you are saying there were no unmarried pregnant women prior to 0BC.
In that case we have the bibull to blame for all single moms in the world
BTW Virgin meant unmarried girl.
Thats not at al what virgin means where did you get such a stupid idea? Virgin means a women who has NOT had sexual intercourse.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211908 Feb 10, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL, who are you talking about? Five people on here?
Sunday I attended a Church with 4,000 people who disagree with all of your group. Later I attended a meeting of over 100 professional people, including professors from a large liberal college. We meet weekly to study and discuss the Bible. All of us view our faith as so valuable, we devote your time, resources and talent to serve literally around the world.
Your response? Scoffing.
Lets put the shoe on the other foot. Tell me, what value do you offer through your atheism?
Arguments from popularity are really quite stupid, most people on this planet believed the world to be flat at one time. Guess what? They were ALL WRONG. I can get just as many that disagree with your group, so in the end how do we determine who is right? Thats right, supporting demonstrable evidence.

You consider faith as value when faith is gullibility. You require "Faith" because you have no evidence for your belief. Fait is NOT a pathway to truth.

Are you implying that without religion you could not or would not devote your time and resources ti serve the world? Can you name on action done by Theists that can't be done by any secular group, including Atheists?

Atheists can offer any value that Theists can offer, there are many Atheists organizations that do charity work and serve their fellow man.

You have NO good reason to believe as you do, you believe because it simply makes you feel all warm and fuzzy.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#211909 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thats not at al what virgin means where did you get such a stupid idea? Virgin means a women who has NOT had sexual intercourse.
No! Virgin is a pre fix in a mocktail!
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211911 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Yes I'm sure there are, but I find the bible of little value when talking about reality. The bible also says bats are birds, and carnivores magically turned into herbivores as soon as they entered the ark. The bible cannot be sighted for much of anything, especial morality, science claims, and generally anything related to reality and the naturalistic realm. I'd advise you to get your information and definitions from a more reliable source.
I did years ago I just can't remember the name and I can't be bothered to find out which still no reason for your name calling.
Richardfs

Merrylands, Australia

#211912 Feb 10, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
<quoted text>
No! Virgin is a pre fix in a mocktail!
Oh! very punny.

#211914 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
Or does it make you a prophet for profit?
Is there a difference?

#211915 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Thats not at al what virgin means where did you get such a stupid idea? Virgin means a women who has NOT had sexual intercourse.
Actually, the word used in the oldest Greek texts of the gospels means "unmarried girl", not virgin.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211916 Feb 10, 2014
Richardfs wrote:
<quoted text>
I did years ago I just can't remember the name and I can't be bothered to find out which still no reason for your name calling.
I don't see were I called you any names, I simply suggested finding a more reliable source of information rather than the bible.
blacklagoon

Boston, MA

#211917 Feb 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, the word used in the oldest Greek texts of the gospels means "unmarried girl", not virgin.
So we are basing present day definitions on ancient Greek texts? Who knew!!
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211918 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I think I'll jump in here, I can help myself from responding to nonsense.
First off I don't believe in "nothingness" I don't even know what "nothingness" is, do you? I have numerous things I believe in and for everyone one of them I have supporting evidence, can you say the same?
Can you define "nothingness?" or are you just talking out of your ass?
In order for you to believe a virgin was impregnated without physical contact with male, or by any other natural means, as in artificial insemination, you are required to believe in magic. Saying we have nothing to compare it to is simply a bold faced lie, we have REALITY to compare it to, the naturalistic realm. When using reality as a comparison, we have no examples of a female becoming pregnant without sexual contact or artificial means, as a matter of fact medical science will tell you no such event has ever been documented throughout medical history.
You may claim this event happened, but once again, you MUST use magic, Godmagic as a cause. I stopped believing in magic a long tie ago, you seem to still hold on the childish idea that magic is real, why is that? Religious poisoning? I think that is the only answer, so, GROW UP will ya!!!!!
Magic is based on trickery and or the occult.

I don’t believe in magic but I do believe in miracles since I have actually witnessed miracles.
Eagle 12

Edwardsville, IL

#211919 Feb 10, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
Just for sh*ts and grins, ask him to explain “Virginia State.”

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 1 min ChromiuMan 6,228
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Clearwater 110,169
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 47 min presidentialwhakker 675,528
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 52 min gabhomo 982,210
exhibitionism (Jul '13) 57 min exhib 8
----*PUBLIC REBUKE to: --TV Preachers, POPE---- 1 hr stirringYTube 1
Call for Gov Asa Hutchinson To Resign 1 hr Hiddn Numbrz 1
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr WildWeirdWillie 184,738
More from around the web