Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256559 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#211834 Feb 9, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
As a skeptic you have doubts but I also have some serious doubts. Especially about your 40+ years as being a committed Christian.
I would be willing to bet that you couldn’t even name a fourth of the books of the Bible in person. I would also be willing to bet the average 8 year old in a Christian School would kick your *ss in a scripture quoting contest.
It’s too bad we could gather an audience in real life and put your claims to the test. That would indeed be a entertaining moment. But the chances are that you wouldn’t even show up.
I just want to let you know you may have bamboozled those who are already fools. But not everyone accepts your claims as being factual. If the facts be known you may have been a Christian 40 + years in title only but committed? That’s in very serious doubt.
Thank you for writing a nice piece about being a skeptic and doubts. Because that’s exactly the reaction your have achieved from me.[tipping hat]
And there we have the classic theist non-response - a lengthy post devoid of a single rebuttal on point. When faced with a challenge requiring some knowledge of the subject, they feel impotent to respond, instead resorting to ad personum marginalization tactics. Why does he feel so threatened, one wonders?

Soooo, you don't know of any prophecies come true either, huh? I'll tell ya what, Skippy - if your faith is so weak as to feel threatened in an anonymous discussion board, it might be best for ya not to trot it out in public. I'm just sayin'.......

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#211835 Feb 9, 2014
River Tam wrote:
The church abandoned her. I've always been an outsider there. I understand that. I expected no more or less. I paid for the new roof on their building because it needed one and I'm in love with one of it's (now former) members. It was an anonymous donation. I don't regret that.
They were all very nice people and they treated me well. I was the "welcomed visitor". I played with their children. They were fascinated by my leg. I was never accepted and never will be. That's fine with me but to shun one of their own because of me? Because we love each other?
That's an illness that needs to be cured.
It will be cured. It is inevitable.

-------

I'm listening to some Garbage tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch...

“Game Over”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#211836 Feb 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
It will be cured. It is inevitable.
-------
I'm listening to some Garbage tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =O6vJgRr6ixgXX
River hasn't quite become Cameron yet but it's getting pretty fuckinclose. I have the leg for it.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#211837 Feb 9, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>The marketing people at the Holy Church of Catcher will be interested in this possible approach for increasing the size of our congregation.

We can combine the dancing with our happy hour.
Lmao.

Since: Jan 11

Location hidden

#211838 Feb 9, 2014
River Tam wrote:
River hasn't quite become Cameron yet but it's getting pretty fuckinclose. I have the leg for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Cs8OJrDVVacXX

"Summer is coming."

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#211839 Feb 9, 2014
Tide with Beach wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =dnQ9Vp4fV4IXX
"Summer is coming."
Disabilities are what we make of them.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#211840 Feb 9, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Disabilities are what we make of them.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =-FFW0JdgRLoXX
We all have disabilities. Some just think they can hide them. Others turn them into assets.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#211841 Feb 10, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Your reply indicates that you don't understand what burden of proof is. I don't need evidence when you are making a claim, such as that your biblical prophecies are more than nontrivial.
I understand proof is not a problem for you when it comes to your default position. Yet require proof,(so you say) from Theists. Which is really excuse making. Playing a stacked deck.
That's absurd. Do you or do you not offer these prophecies as evidence of divine foreknowledge? Why would I believe that when there is a perfectly natural explanation for why the prophecy came to pass?
You offered an explanation and I asked for proof. Seems you want to make claims without having to provide evidence for them. I wrote both Matthew Henry and Isaac Newton made their assumptions about the return of Israel from the Bible at a time when Israel did not exist. You are great at sleazing your way out of things and you can get away with that con job on Topix. Well time for another work week.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211842 Feb 10, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
Perhaps you agree - I don't begrudge a Christian their personal faith. As Ben Franklin wisely recognized, faith and it's institutions have a utilitarian value to society at large. It's only when they externalize their personal faith and project it onto society that we have a problem.
I'm still looking for that utilitarian value of faith.

I understand, however, the value of leaving people who believe and worship in private alone. My interest at this time is in the church, which has no intention of confining its influence to the religious, not the individual believer who prays around his dinner table and says his prayers at night.

But I do believe that faith based thought damages the thinker, and that we owe it to others to prevent them from falling victim to this scourge, and rescuing those that can be salvaged. In this sense, liken it to smoking. I don't want to torment smokers, but I consider it an undesirable thing for the smoker and everybody else as well, and I would do what is in my power to prevent new smokers from starting, to protect children from exposure to it with education and laws protecting children from exposure, and to help rescue existing smokers.

But for now, yes - the emphasis should be on removing the tentacles of the church from the government and from the lives of the uninterested. We can turn our attention to the faithful later.

“Game Over”

Location hidden

#211843 Feb 10, 2014
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
We all have disabilities. Some just think they can hide them. Others turn them into assets.
Yeah, I think I've said that before.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#211845 Feb 10, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I think I'm already a member.
You're welcome. Parkingout behind the nightclub.

“The future begins”

every moment

#211846 Feb 10, 2014
lightbeamrider wrote:
<quoted text> You offered an explanation and I asked for proof. Seems you want to make claims without having to provide evidence for them. I wrote both Matthew Henry and Isaac Newton made their assumptions about the return of Israel from the Bible at a time when Israel did not exist. You are great at sleazing your way out of things and you can get away with that con job on Topix. Well time for another work week.
True, few nations had to wait such a long time, but there's nothing at all unusual historically about a nation being subsumed by conquering nations, and then subsequently being "reborn". It's not entirely clear why you think this constitutes proof of prophecy, but you seem to want to make a big deal out of Newton reciting the Bible, and pointing to that as proof? Newton was a believer, and thus it's no surprise he would be fascinated with the Bible. He approaches it as a mathematician, AND as one who felt that applying his special gift to the Bible was providing a service for the vast ignoratii (which includes you and me). In addition to his citations for the rebirth of Israel. Newton also believed there was a "Bible Code" long before the NYT bestseller list. That doesn't say much for a Clarity of Scripture doctrine, does it? In addition, Newton also calculated an earliest date for the end-times, which,typically, depends entirely on Eurocentric assumptions about historical chronology.

In short, Newton was a genius who applied his gift to his beliefs. One wonders what else he could have discovered had he not been obsessively side-tracked by a delusion?

“The future begins”

every moment

#211847 Feb 10, 2014
<quoted text>
I'm still looking for that utilitarian value of faith.
I understand, however, the value of leaving people who believe and worship in private alone. My interest at this time is in the church, which has no intention of confining its influence to the religious, not the individual believer who prays around his dinner table and says his prayers at night.
But I do believe that faith based thought damages the thinker, and that we owe it to others to prevent them from falling victim to this scourge, and rescuing those that can be salvaged. In this sense, liken it to smoking. I don't want to torment smokers, but I consider it an undesirable thing for the smoker and everybody else as well, and I would do what is in my power to prevent new smokers from starting, to protect children from exposure to it with education and laws protecting children from exposure, and to help rescue existing smokers.
But for now, yes - the emphasis should be on removing the tentacles of the church from the government and from the lives of the uninterested. We can turn our attention to the faithful later.
Here's a quick quote from Franklin's autobiography, "Though I seldom attended any public worship, I had still an opinion of it's propriety, and it's utility when rightly conducted...". He elaborates but that's enough for the point. I agree with it's utility on a personal level, for certain personality types.

For instance, faith provides refuge and strength to those in dire emotional straits. You and I might say that they should recognize their own inner strength that "saved" them, and that faith just provided an Uber-Daddy to kick them in the ass, but it would be highly arrogant for us to scoff at the result. When it comes to lifting people from despair and degradation, "It's all good."

Beyond that, there is another value to society which I had never realized before topix. When I first heard someone argue, "What's to keep us from stealing, raping, and killing, if there's no God?" I was really taken aback when I heard that. I thought they were being facetious. But they aren't. Long story short, I concluded that, if this punishing God concept was the only thing restraining some people's animal impulses, then by all means, print more Bibles.

Fennario

#211848 Feb 10, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is so cool. Thank you for sharing that with us. I bet it’s a beautiful place. It sounds like you have a paradise. I love the natural wildlife that’s attracted to such places.
When I was a growing up my Dad and Grandparents did some gardening but more to put fresh produce on the table. We spent a many hours over the years shelling peas and beans on the front porch.
I tried growing some tomatoes one year in my sun room but that didn’t turn out so well. Tomatoes need a lot of sun light. So I replanted them outside and they started producing.
I enjoyed your response Doctor.
Thanks, my pleasure.

[tipping hat]

Fennario

#211849 Feb 10, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
All you have to do is lure nano to the church entrance. Pastor Catcher, HL and our Jagermeister doubles will do the rest.
Ew.[Dives into a tub of bleach]

Fennario

#211850 Feb 10, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
An interesting documentary...
Atheist in the Bible Belt
Yikes! You're keeping me busy - thanks. I've seen part of the The Bible's Buried Secrets, but less that 20% at this point.

I lived that life (Atheist in the Bible Belt) from 1998-2009 as I suspect you are now (you've told me the state you presently live in, but I'll let you tell others what that is if you choose to), especially if you are not in a large city. I was in a county of 40,000 with one town of about 15,000 - very much the Lord's country. It was an eye opener for this liberal, atheist, pot friendly Deadhead, although not as much as Topix.

Fennario

#211851 Feb 10, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
Nice. So full of life. I really liked the dancing kids.

I'm guessing that some of the faithful don't approve. Any Christians here find that life affirming, or was it too close to sin?

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#211852 Feb 10, 2014
<quoted text>
Ew.[Dives into a tub of bleach]
Redemption is available to all at the Holy Church of Catcher.

Speaking of which, where's Dave Nelson?

Fennario

#211853 Feb 10, 2014
River Tam wrote:
. They were fascinated by my leg. I was never accepted and never will be. That's fine with me but to shun one of their own because of me? Because we love each other? That's an illness that needs to be cured.
Sorry.

I hope you don't mind if I take the opportunity to point out once again that all of this talk about God being love, loving one another, and the Golden Rule, is just so many words from a church giving itself credit for qualities and values that it simply doesn't embody or promote.

The fact is, as you note, that this ideology is a pox on the culture that divides and hurts people based on bad, ancient, and irrational ideas. We all have a duty to denounce it.

“MEET KIKI -She Seeks Home”

With Established Harem

#211854 Feb 10, 2014
HipGnosis wrote:
<quoted text>Here's a quick quote from Franklin's autobiography, "Though I seldom attended any public worship, I had still an opinion of it's propriety, and it's utility when rightly conducted...". He elaborates but that's enough for the point. I agree with it's utility on a personal level, for certain personality types.
For instance, faith provides refuge and strength to those in dire emotional straits. You and I might say that they should recognize their own inner strength that "saved" them, and that faith just provided an Uber-Daddy to kick them in the ass, but it would be highly arrogant for us to scoff at the result. When it comes to lifting people from despair and degradation, "It's all good."
Beyond that, there is another value to society which I had never realized before topix. When I first heard someone argue, "What's to keep us from stealing, raping, and killing, if there's no God?" I was really taken aback when I heard that. I thought they were being facetious. But they aren't. Long story short, I concluded that, if this punishing God concept was the only thing restraining some people's animal impulses, then by all means, print more Bibles.
.. recently, I read an article in THE SMITHSONIAN MAGAZINE on the muriquis monkeys of Brazil which challenges the theory that all primates, including humans, are essentially aggressive ..

.. female muriquis select their mates and the males are peace-loving primates. This behavior shatters the idea that stealing, raping and killing is the default position of all apes ..

.. the muriquis do not own bibles nor can they read ..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min The Doctor 64,061
Gays snapchat usernames 3 min Petersonn9 17
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Steve III 654,054
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Joe Fortuna 973,816
You are of your father......THE DEVIL. 15 min Rosa_Winkel 29
i swap sexy photos of my girlfriend (Jan '10) 1 hr Fitcouple 75
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Toby 106,507
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 11 hr Clive 80
More from around the web