Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 258515 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#211594 Feb 7, 2014
timn17 wrote:
<quoted text>Indeed. I wonder why shows like this have become so popular. I mean, our actual history is very interesting as is.
In part, I think it has to do with the anti-intellectual attitude so much of the US population holds. "That'll show them high-falutin' professors what's what."

Plus, "I seen it on that there History Channel. So it must be true."

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#211595 Feb 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I saw the most horrendous monster the other day. It had the head of a horse and the body of a unicorn.
My Dad took me to a circus when I was little. They had an albino zebra.

They also had the world's tallest midget. He was 5'10" !!!

You should have seen the bearded man. I'm sayin.

It was worth the 50 cent admission.

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#211596 Feb 8, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>
In part, I think it has to do with the anti-intellectual attitude so much of the US population holds. "That'll show them high-falutin' professors what's what."
Plus, "I seen it on that there History Channel. So it must be true."
Yeah, that makes sense - the thought of having the ability to "see the truth" and "make the connections" in spite of all those evil establishment scientists is probably very attractive for certain people.

And yeah, the history channel should have to change its name.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#211597 Feb 8, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
It's a pleasure to have your beautiful spirit back with us. You represent the triumph of faith over reason, evidence, and compassion very well, and why we should all welcome and encourage its signature imprint on as many of our neighbors as possible..
KiMare wrote:
You don't know my faith.
You keep saying that like there is some missing information of any importance. What more do I need to know than that you are a faith based thinker that treats Christian scripture as if it were authoritative? What more on the subject could possibly be of interest or value in judging you the man you show us?

Fennario

#211598 Feb 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Yeah, you sure proved that, didn't you? Snicker.
What's with all of this talk about proof from you? My standard for belief is evidence,and yours is less than that.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#211599 Feb 8, 2014
"The Story of Salvation

Omnipotent God chooses not to use his power to simply forgive humankind, but instead implements a solution which requires that he impregnate a teen girl in order to give birth to himself so he can have himself slaughtered to save human beings from the hell that he created.

He then decides to communicate his scheme through conflicting accounts penned decades later by anonymous authors and subjectively handed down by flawed translators who can't even agree on the interpretation of "virgin".

Think about it."

- The Thinking Atheist.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#211600 Feb 8, 2014
scaritual wrote:
scaritual wrote: Whatever you say, cupcake.
KiMare wrote:I know.
Smile.
scaritual wrote:Delusions are like that.
<quoted text>
Yeah, you'll recover, cupcake.
That's amazing.

Before you even said it, I did!

Smirk.

Location hidden

#211601 Feb 8, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
You keep saying that like there is some missing information of any importance. What more do I need to know than that you are a faith based thinker that treats Christian scripture as if it were authoritative? What more on the subject could possibly be of interest or value in judging you the man you show us?
I simply point out significant contradictions to your claim that the Bible is a worthless book of fiction.

That says nothing about my faith and much about your bigotry and ignorance.

Location hidden

#211602 Feb 8, 2014
<quoted text>
What's with all of this talk about proof from you? My standard for belief is evidence,and yours is less than that.
See my last post.

Location hidden

#211603 Feb 8, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
"The Story of Salvation
Omnipotent God chooses not to use his power to simply forgive humankind, but instead implements a solution which requires that he impregnate a teen girl in order to give birth to himself so he can have himself slaughtered to save human beings from the hell that he created.
He then decides to communicate his scheme through conflicting accounts penned decades later by anonymous authors and subjectively handed down by flawed translators who can't even agree on the interpretation of "virgin".
Think about it."
- The Thinking Atheist.
That's one twisted way to put it.

However, you leave out numerous alternative salvation stories, some not religious at all. Why the focus on just this one?

Think about it.

Smile.
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#211604 Feb 8, 2014
Bob of Quantum-Faith wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes it is-- I think it's a primitive social thing, in that when we humans lived in smallish tribes, then retaliation was a useful trait to remove an anti-social element.
But these days, we are more than tribes, and hopefully, more than our base instincts too.
BLOB, You've got a psychosis, you blithering idiot.
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#211605 Feb 8, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
My Dad took me to a circus when I was little..
......LOL

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#211606 Feb 8, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Would you lie to save someones life? Would you lie to save someone from harm? Would you lie to save yourself from death? Would you lie to save your child from death or harm?
I asked if lying was absolutely morally wrong.

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#211607 Feb 8, 2014
KiMare wrote: You don't know my faith.
<quoted text>You keep saying that like there is some missing information of any importance. What more do I need to know than that you are a faith based thinker that treats Christian scripture as if it were authoritative? What more on the subject could possibly be of interest or value in judging you the man you show us?
If most faither's Biblical interpretation is akin to a spandex unitard, this guy's is a fat man in speedos and a toupee.

Fennario

#211609 Feb 8, 2014
KiMare wrote:
I simply point out significant contradictions to your claim that the Bible is a worthless book of fiction. That says nothing about my faith and much about your bigotry and ignorance.
This is what you posted:

Matthew 16:17-18 (NASB77) 17 And Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Barjona, because flesh and blood did not reveal this to you, but My Father who is in heaven. 18 "And I also say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build My church; and the gates of Hades shall not overpower it.

How does that support your position? Because Christianity is still around? Do you think that those words make the Christian bible valuable? Do you consider them quality prophecy, or valuable in any other way? Apparently skeptics see them differently.

I saw your scriptures and commented, "Thanks. That was a big help. "

Scaritual parodied them with "1)A great and holy breeze came forth issuing down from the heavens, and the Jesus! began to slowly turn and even to spin. Then sparks flew from his eyes, yea, and even from his toes. 2)Then the Jesus spake, and said unto them; '"WHEEEE HEE HEEE HEEE!".- Revolution, Chapter 2: 1, 2 (Parable of the Whirled) "

Do you still think that you produced something of value there, or that you have made the case that your bible is more than what skeptics say it is?

Fennario

#211610 Feb 8, 2014
What's with all of this talk about proof from you? My standard for belief is evidence, and yours is less than that.
KiMare wrote:
See my last post.
Nothing, then?

You haven't offered us much more than unsupported claims and bad manners. I'm sure that you're giving us your best ideas and best behavior. We don't have a right to expect more. Just be yourself.

And don't think that your posting is of no value to unbelievers. Many of us skeptics don't get to see the faith based mind at work in meat space because it simply is unwise if not impossible to have protracted conversations of this nature with the faithful there.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#211611 Feb 8, 2014
Divinity Surgeon wrote:
"The Story of Salvation

Think about it."

- The Thinking Atheist.
A rock created everything, including various conflicting worldviews that are all just the result of chemical fizzes and therefore equally valid...

Think about it...

I don't think incredulity is an argument you should be championing...
Doctor REALITY

North Little Rock, AR

#211612 Feb 8, 2014
Atheism is not a 'faith'. It's 'spiritual cowardice', where men try to run and hide from the Lord that they might continue to embrace the sins they love.'Where can I go, that You are not there, o; Lord?!'

Fennario

#211613 Feb 8, 2014
mtimber wrote:
A rock created everything, including various conflicting worldviews that are all just the result of chemical fizzes and therefore equally valid... Think about it... I don't think incredulity is an argument you should be championing...
It's the argument you just made. You find the naturalistic perspective unbelievable as your oversimplified representation of it indicates.

Presumably, you find the universe, and probably the living cells in it, too complex to exist uncreated. Is that correct?

“ad victoriam”

Since: Dec 10

arte et marte

#211614 Feb 8, 2014
Doctor REALITY wrote:
Atheism is not a 'faith'. It's 'spiritual cowardice', where men try to run and hide from the Lord that they might continue to embrace the sins they love.'Where can I go, that You are not there, o; Lord?!'
Sorry , we don't believe in doc bull ship either.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Are black people descendents of Cain from the l... (Feb '11) 5 min Johnny 86
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 hr Bonho 71,306
How is it possible that God has always existed?? 3 hr Doctor REALITY 2
James Comey's conflicted TWO FACES 3 hr Doctor REALITY 64
Ifitdress.com reviews (Oct '12) 4 hr lac 16
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr Tellthetruth 447,350
Fischbach army depot-NATO site 67 (Mar '07) 5 hr Gene Ricker 483
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 8 hr Tellthetruth 994,986
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 10 hr FathrFlanagan Bug... 699,333