Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#210471 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>How the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary is an unknown phenomenon.

What the Topix Atheist! would call magic.

Or poofing.
Or fiction.

Yeah.

Fiction.

Since: Sep 10

San Francisco, CA

#210472 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes you do.
I made the comment "push a rope" and you instantly converted that to "a noose".
You have to have a hateful mind to immediately envision a noose when you see the word rope.
I make my conclusions based on your posts.

Allow me to use your own words (and thanks, Scar and Hiding):

"I don't know why [blacks] gravitate to crime so much, but they DO....Race had plenty to do with it....They are either more criminally minded or they suck at getting caught....That's my America....Segregation is not a bad thing....[It] kept crime down and people felt more safe....But I'll also admit that racism is wrong. It's a character flaw that I have....How long does it take a black woman to take a poop? Nine months."

You're an angry, stupid ChristoWhiteSupremacist.

San Francisco, CA

#210473 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
That is a very dishonest thing to say, I referred to THREE blacks, not "black people".
I "dehumanized" those three kids, yes.
Absolutely!
They beat the crap out of a kid because that kid didn't want to buy any drugs, so the animal instinct took over and they acted like monkeys, like animals.
I'd do it again, too.
Of course you'd do it again.

Any chance you get.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210474 Feb 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We have a clear knowledge of right and wrong. Your church does not. Homophobia is wrong. Atheophobia is wrong. Slavery is wrong. Rape is wrong. Terrorizing children with stories of hellfire is wrong. Premarital sex is not wrong. Birth control and condoms are not wrong. And the concept of sin is at the root of it. Sin is the word for your god not liking it. And as soon as you label something sin, the idea of retribution is there. Calling something sin allows you to feel good about persecuting it and indifferent to the sinner.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I disagree with your version of absolute morals.
I don't have a version of absolute morals.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Sin, or for you the concept of sin, is there to keep our morals in check.
The concept of sin is harmful to humanity. It not only allows people to call any action that it chooses to condemn immoral, including such things as working on the sabbath, it gives the believer license to punish it.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
If we go the way of the Humanist, we'll have no morals.
Au contraire. We actually respect the Golden Rule. Without rational ethics, your church would still be burning witches. It's still scapegoating gays and atheists.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Besides, Christianity doesn't teach that homophobia, rape or slavery is good.
It doesn't consider them immoral, a good example of its ethical failures. And by calling homosexuality sin, it has unleashed a deluge of suffering on gay people.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#210475 Feb 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>I make my conclusions based on your posts.

"I don't know why [blacks] gravitate to crime so much, but they DO....Race had plenty to do with it....They are either more criminally minded or they suck at getting caught....That's my America....Segregation is not a bad thing....[It] kept crime down and people felt more safe....But I'll also admit that racism is wrong. It's a character flaw that I have....How long does it take a black woman to take a poop? Nine months."

Wow.

I hadn't seen that one.

And he still denies being a racist.

What a lying, scumbag, sack-o-shit.

Fennario

#210476 Feb 3, 2014
Bongo wrote:
Christians are the most generous people on earth and if its true there were reports of aberrant ones , its rare.
Why do you think that? How do you know? I'm going to need something a little more substantial than faith here. As far as I can tell, most giving by Christians is to the church, with very little of that going to what I would consider worthy causes. If you're a Protestant, most of it goes to building more churches and the salaries and benefits of pastors. If you're a Catholic, most of it goes into the Vatican vault and bank accounts.

Fennario

#210477 Feb 3, 2014
Were they protracted poofs then? Why would Yahweh take so long. I've got bad news, by the way. On the seventh day, He rested. That day seems to be endless.
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
You don't realize how much of a giggle this conversation is giving me. ROFL! Then pick myself up...ROFLOLOL! again. I'm glad you support them tho.
It's my pleasure to give you a giggle, Rosa. This stuff is so easily spoofed.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#210478 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not getting it. There was no penetration, no ejaculation and no semen.
God created the pregnancy as easily as He created to universe.
Nice imagination....

Anyway...

Just a .·:*¨`*†poof†*¨`*:·. that time, huh. then a regular 9 month pregnancy... I wonder what the Jesus was thinking about, while in the womb?

So lemme get this straight....

You say your deity created the universe - or the canopy of the sun(light), moon(not a light) and stars(far, far away light)- and when it did, made it completely, with the starlight here. which meant he altered the time it takes for light to travel and arrive here.·:*¨`*†poof†*¨`*:·., or,.·:*¨`*†nopoof†*¨`*:·.?

Then, when it came to plants and animals, it was back to .·:*¨`*†nopoof†*¨`*:·.. and THAT took the regular amount of time.

Your deity was jumping between .·:*¨`*†poof†*¨`*:·. and .·:*¨`*†nopoof†*¨`*:·..

Like a light switch of magic, no magic. <the deity> "...hmmm, this is gonna be a no magic - regular - day....."

I'm starting to get the idea that your mythic deity is even more limited than I had originally surmised, in consideration of the mythic story - with your magic day, no magic day interpretation.

The attempt at blending scientific knowledge and your primitive creation myth isn't a good idea.

It makes the myth look even more ridiculous.

The mythic deity was better when it was a .·:*¨`*†magicpoofin†*¨`*:·. motherfncker.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#210479 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary is an unknown phenomenon.
What the Topix Atheist! would call magic.
Or poofing.
No, it's just a myth.

“Pillars of Creation....”

Into this world we're thrown

#210480 Feb 3, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>
.. now you're speaking my language ..
.. love the sloshing sounds ..
How many cats do you think they had to skin to make Broadway Joe's coat?

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#210481 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Ugh. Four of em?
OK.
<quoted text>
"Modern neuroscience and Coleridge's theory of the imagination"
That's a book of hypotheses and theories, not facts.
<quoted text>
That's a blog for a magazine LMAO
"Many scientists believe that the creative process springs as much from the subconscious"
As the Topix Atheist! says; Belief isn't fact.
<quoted text>
A story of a psychoanalyst and his interests.
Not facts.
<quoted text>
"If TMS works as it seems to, it could provide neuroscientists with the ability to safely manipulate cognitive processing in humans to help pin down the functions of the various brain areas."
That's an ongoing study. It's saying that their still trying to figure it out.
You've presented zero facts again, Chris......
Neuroscience cannot yet explain how the imagination works, as you claimed.
You seem to have the typical gobot aversion to the word theory, I wonder why this is? Honey, the word theory in academic/scientific circles does not have the same meaning/connotations as godbots try to impose in it based on there own ignorance. It’s only a theory is just about as discredited as goddiditbymagic

Yes in exactly the same way your link was an article in the popular science mag so you are saying that what’s ok for you is not for me? Yup you must be a real christian. Please note that Psychology Today is an academic publication and I really do love your cherry picking. Told you this before, why not quote the whole things rather than just the tiny one liners that big you up?

Are you saying that a psychoanalyst has nothing to offer the discussion? My guess is that he has considerably more to add about the functioning of the brain than some roofers mate.

More deliberate context sensitive cherry picking? Here let me bring in the first part of the paragraph that for some reason you chose to omit – it seems to be one of your traits

“Neurobiologists have long puzzled over the question of whether the visual imagery that occurs when the brain imagines an image works the same way as when the brain processes a real image from the retina. Results described on page 167 now suggest that it does. Using transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), which temporarily disrupts the functions of specific brain areas, a team of neuroscientists found evidence that the primary visual cortex, the first part of the cerebral cortex to receive retinal information, is necessary for at least some visual imagery as well.”

You really don’t have much in the way of intelligence do you?

Fennario

#210482 Feb 3, 2014
Bongo wrote:
.If all you anti Christ people have to prevaricate and cast aspersions to bolster your agenda, doesn't it make you feel cheap?
I'm happy to put my arguments out there and let them be judged. I don't expect Christians to like them.
Bongo wrote:
.Christians don't kill. They obey Christ.
Was that the claim? My claim was that the church only gives lip service to the Golden Rule. It appears to be happy to commit any atrocity it is permitted to, and without any significant resistance from the faithful.

And yes, Christians obey what they can be convinced is the will of their god. Obedience is the highest moral good in Christianity, and the chief flaw in Christian ethics. When respected men like Luther - men felt to be closely connected with their god - say that the Jews are an abomination, they are believed, and it becomes moral to persecute them.

Such people are the ones who tell the rank and file Christian what to believe their god wants. If they want to persecute gays and give adulterer's a break, then you have something like the present condition in America, where the one is the subject of intense debate and the other barely discussed.

You might think that the bible orders those priorities, but you would be wrong. The bible lists adultery in the Ten Commandments, but not homosexuality. Nevertheless, the church has chosen to prioritize it in the reverse order, and that's how it plays out.
Bongo wrote:
Or they have the moniker in name only.
Non-Christians define Christian differently than you have. You seem to be defining (true) Christians as those who you think will get into heaven. You can see why that definition would be of little use to unbelievers. If you call yourself a Christian, promote the church, and vote according to what you think Jesus wants, you're a Christian to me, even if you rape and kill.

Incidentally, Christians have monopolized the No True Scotsman argument to the extent that it is more and more being called the No True Christian fallacy.

#210483 Feb 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I don't have a hateful mind at all.
It's just that I know you well--you're the guy who called black kids "monkeys."
You dehumanize black people, RR.
He did what? That is just sick

#210484 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
This is not about our knowledge of biology, this is about how the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary.
All the Bible really says about it is that "she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit".
You called it rape.
Why? To further your hatred of Christianity?
Nope this is about reality, not dreams of goddidt by magic

Not about - rape is naughty so my god can’t have raped anyone – jeez, the OT is full of situations where you god is claimed to have condoned and even advised rape, why the big shoulder sloping trick in the NT?

Why, to bring out discussion on the facts of biology and the lies that the church hides behind.

San Francisco, CA

#210485 Feb 3, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
I hadn't seen that one.
To be fair, that wasn't a single post.

It's an amalgam, taken from several of RR's posts.

Fennario

#210486 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I said one could argue that the first few yoms in Genesis could be 24 hours, I did not say that they are.
One could argue anything using the bible.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
But that argument gets washed away when you get to the third yom, which is obviously not a 24 hour period.
Disagree. It is obviously referring to a 24 hour day.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
The "evening and morning" passing are figures of speech, which I gave you examples of yesterday.
Whatever each Christian choose to call literal is literal, and whatever he chooses to consider a figure of speech is a figure of speech. You have no basis to assert your private choice as objectively so.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210487 Feb 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I make my conclusions based on your posts.
Where do you see supremacy there?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210488 Feb 3, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow.
I hadn't seen that one.
No.

I'm a racist and I admit to it.

I don't care if you don't like that.

But one thing I am not is a white supremacist.

I've got a boat load of white jokes if you wanna hear them, too.

Fennario

#210489 Feb 3, 2014
I've got bad news, by the way. On the seventh day, He rested. That day seems to be endless.
RiversideRedneck wrote:
Why? Because there's no mention of the eighth day?
Ugh...
No. Because your god appears to be AWOL.

American Christians have been begging it to bless America since 9/11. The requests seem to be piling up in its in-box.

The deists believe that Elvis has left the building. Why do you suppose that is? Even the theists have noticed the dramatic decline in miracles.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210490 Feb 3, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
You seem to have the typical gobot aversion to the word theory, I wonder why this is? Honey, the word theory in academic/scientific circles does not have the same meaning/connotations as godbots try to impose in it based on there own ignorance. It’s only a theory is just about as discredited as goddiditbymagic
Yes in exactly the same way your link was an article in the popular science mag so you are saying that what’s ok for you is not for me? Yup you must be a real christian. Please note that Psychology Today is an academic publication and I really do love your cherry picking. Told you this before, why not quote the whole things rather than just the tiny one liners that big you up?
Are you saying that a psychoanalyst has nothing to offer the discussion? My guess is that he has considerably more to add about the functioning of the brain than some roofers mate.
More deliberate context sensitive cherry picking? Here let me bring in the first part of the paragraph that for some reason you chose to omit – it seems to be one of your traits
“Neurobiologists have long puzzled over the question of whether the visual imagery that occurs when the brain imagines an image works the same way as when the brain processes a real image from the retina. Results described on page 167 now suggest that it does. Using transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), which temporarily disrupts the functions of specific brain areas, a team of neuroscientists found evidence that the primary visual cortex, the first part of the cerebral cortex to receive retinal information, is necessary for at least some visual imagery as well.”
You really don’t have much in the way of intelligence do you?
Oh, I read it and I thought it was cool that it directly refuted your claim that science can now detect imagination.

They've learned what part of the brain picks up sensory information from the eyes. Great. That doesn't prove anything to your claim.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min Catholic Girl 558,859
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min BenAdam 773,526
bless the jews (Nov '08) 20 min menorah 7,051
Moses never existed 26 min bacon hater 720
17 Year Old Young Blackman Hanged In Bladenboro... 31 min Marty Fong 4
Tamil vs Kannada. Which one is the oldest langu... (Oct '12) 32 min royal kannadiga 1,240
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 35 min bacon hater 96,712
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 37 min HipGnosis 175,511
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 56 min Rick in Kansas 264,982
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 4 hr Dolphin 441,751
More from around the web