Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256139 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#210495 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Unexplained phenomenon.
Doesn't mean tht Goddidit.

Or are you one of that lot claiming that because UFOs are "Unidentified", they're therefore alien?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210496 Feb 3, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
BTW - You are using the results of science in several fundamental forms, electricity, quantum mechanics, fibre optics, solid state programming, science of communications, computer science, laser manufacturing techniques etc just so that you can slag off science, do you not find that rather hypocritical?
You might smile at this:

"You stare into your high definition plasma screen monitor, type into your cordless keyboard then hit enter, which causes your computer to convert all that visual data into a binary signal that’s processed by millions of precise circuits.

"This is then converted to a frequency modulated signal to reach your wireless router where it is then converted to light waves and sent along a large fiber optics cable to be processed by a super computer on a mass server.

"This sends that bit you typed to a satellite orbiting the earth that was put there through the greatest feats of engineering and science, all so it could go back through a similar pathway to make it all the way here to my computer monitor 15,000 miles away from you just so you could say,“Science is all a bunch of man made hogwash.”- anon.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#210497 Feb 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I make my conclusions based on your posts.
Allow me to use your own words (and thanks, Scar and Hiding):
"I don't know why [blacks] gravitate to crime so much, but they DO....Race had plenty to do with it....They are either more criminally minded or they suck at getting caught....That's my America....Segregation is not a bad thing....[It] kept crime down and people felt more safe....But I'll also admit that racism is wrong. It's a character flaw that I have....How long does it take a black woman to take a poop? Nine months."
You're an angry, stupid ChristoWhiteSupremacist.
Certainly.

The portion you supplied above is a blatant example of Ar Ar's racism. He reveals this in his "cloaked" racist speak on an almost daily basis, too. It's a very rare day that goes by without Ar Ar inserting just a "smidge" of ambiguous racist language in a conversation.

Down here, right now, the new trend is to refer to black people(or any other "race") as "Canadians".

<racist> "Hey, Bob, you ought'a saw the Canadians that were in here earlier, it was awful I tell you...they were...."

This way, they can speak loudly and freely, without the backlash they might normally garner, after all, they're talking about Canadians...~/.

Yeah, cowardly, but that's what racists are.

They live in fear of something that doesn't exist.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210498 Feb 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
We have a clear knowledge of right and wrong. Your church does not. Homophobia is wrong. Atheophobia is wrong. Slavery is wrong. Rape is wrong. Terrorizing children with stories of hellfire is wrong. Premarital sex is not wrong. Birth control and condoms are not wrong. And the concept of sin is at the root of it. Sin is the word for your god not liking it. And as soon as you label something sin, the idea of retribution is there. Calling something sin allows you to feel good about persecuting it and indifferent to the sinner.

I don't have a version of absolute morals.
Yes you do.

By what you wrote above, your absolute morality tells you "Homophobia is wrong. Atheophobia is wrong. Slavery is wrong. Rape is wrong. Terrorizing children with stories of hellfire is wrong. Premarital sex is not wrong. Birth control and condoms are not wrong."

And you're not up for debate on it.
The concept of sin is harmful to humanity. It not only allows people to call any action that it chooses to condemn immoral, including such things as working on the sabbath, it gives the believer license to punish it.
Harmful? Teaching a moral guideline isn't harmful, it's helpful.
Au contraire. We actually respect the Golden Rule. Without rational ethics, your church would still be burning witches. It's still scapegoating gays and atheists.
Which church? The WBC?
It doesn't consider them immoral, a good example of its ethical failures. And by calling homosexuality sin, it has unleashed a deluge of suffering on gay people.
Bull. Christianity teaches that rape, slavery and hatred are bad things.

That's our absolute morality.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210499 Feb 3, 2014
ChristineM wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope this is about reality, not dreams of goddidt by magic
Not about - rape is naughty so my god can’t have raped anyone – jeez, the OT is full of situations where you god is claimed to have condoned and even advised rape, why the big shoulder sloping trick in the NT?
Why, to bring out discussion on the facts of biology and the lies that the church hides behind.
Rape is "naughty"?!?

The Topix Atheist! has spoken.

F_ck your morals.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210500 Feb 3, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
No. Because your god appears to be AWOL.
American Christians have been begging it to bless America since 9/11. The requests seem to be piling up in its in-box.
The deists believe that Elvis has left the building. Why do you suppose that is? Even the theists have noticed the dramatic decline in miracles.
AWOL to you, perhaps. Not to me and not to millions of Americans.

God has directly influenced my life several times.

You don't believe in Him and you think sin is harmful, it's no wonder He's ignored you.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#210501 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
No.
I'm a racist and I admit to it.
I don't care if you don't like that.
But one thing I am not is a white supremacist.
I've got a boat load of white jokes if you wanna hear them, too.
^^^
See?

That's one of the racist cloaks.

They think that because they tell a joke about "white people" on occasion, that makes the joke about the "all other people not white" okay.

They think it is exhibiting some sort of open minded attitude or tolerance.

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#210502 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Where do you see supremacy there?
I see a white supremacist all over the place in your posts, and you yourself just posted, once again, that you're a racist.

Wiki defines racism as beliefs that are "based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently."

Read again: "...and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently."

Give it up already.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210503 Feb 3, 2014
Then what makes him the father? Do you know what the definition of a father is? Can you find any definition in any dictionary that would allow us to properly call someone who neither provided the sperm nor help raise a child its father?
Seriously.

o.O

"define father"?!

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/_/dict.aspx...

1b. A man who adopts a child.

3. A male ancestor.

4. A man who creates, originates, or founds something: Chaucer is considered the father of English poetry.

5. An early form; a prototype.

6. Father Christianity
a. God.
b. The first person of the Christian Trinity.

7. An elderly or venerable man. Used as a title of respect.

8. A member of the senate in Ancient Rome

9. One of the leading men, as of a city: the town fathers.

10. or Father A church father.

11. Abbr. Fr.
a. A priest or clergyman in the Roman Catholic or Anglican churches.
b. Used as a title and form of address with or without the clergyman's name.
It sounds like Jesus had no father,
Does it still sound that way?

Even after 14 definitions of "father" without spermatozoa or rearing?

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210504 Feb 3, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
^^^
See?
That's one of the racist cloaks.
They think that because they tell a joke about "white people" on occasion, that makes the joke about the "all other people not white" okay.
They think it is exhibiting some sort of open minded attitude or tolerance.
Do you understand that there's a big difference between racist and racial discrimination?

RR don't discriminate.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210505 Feb 3, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Doesn't mean tht Goddidit.
Or are you one of that lot claiming that because UFOs are "Unidentified", they're therefore alien?
No.

I doubt that alien life exists.

I surely doubt that alien life has visited earth.

A UFO is just that, unidentified.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210506 Feb 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
I see a white supremacist all over the place in your posts, and you yourself just posted, once again, that you're a racist.
Wiki defines racism as beliefs that are "based in views that see the human species to be divided into races with shared traits, abilities, or qualities, such as personality, intellect, morality, or other cultural behavioral characteristics, and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently."
Read again: "...and especially the belief that races can be ranked as inherently superior or inferior to others, or that members of different races should be treated differently."
Give it up already.
Huh. Wiki also says:

"The exact definition of racism is controversial both because there is little scholarly agreement about the meaning of the concept "race", and because there is also little agreement about what does and does not constitute discrimination."

Read it again:

"The exact definition of racism is controversial"

I've told you plenty of times that I don't believe any race is superior to another.

You choose to ignore that.

Why?

Because the exact definition of racism is controversial.....

“The eye has it...”

Russell's teapot

#210507 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you understand that there's a big difference between racist and racial discrimination?
RR don't discriminate.
Sure you do.

The very act of being racist means you discriminate, racially.

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#210508 Feb 3, 2014
All hail Cthulhu!

Chtulhu fhtagn!

(It had to be said.)

Since: Sep 10

Fremont, CA

#210509 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Huh. Wiki also says:
"The exact definition of racism is controversial both because there is little scholarly agreement about the meaning of the concept "race", and because there is also little agreement about what does and does not constitute discrimination."
Read it again:
"The exact definition of racism is controversial"
I've told you plenty of times that I don't believe any race is superior to another.
You choose to ignore that.
Why?
Because the exact definition of racism is controversial.....
Oh, yeah, sure.

It's just that those monkeys are so violent and go around committing crimes, so segregation was really a pretty good idea.

Stick your controversy where the sun don't shine, you stupid, angry ChristoWhiteSupremacist.

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#210510 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Rape involves sexual intercourse.
You know, where the peepee goes inside the jayjay?
You say God raped Mary?
Well you ain't even falling for it.... the day your daughter comes up and says-
" god got me pregnant and I didn't even do anything".

“Wrath”

Since: Dec 10

Is revenant

#210511 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not getting it. There was no penetration, no ejaculation and no semen.
God created the pregnancy as easily as He created to universe.
Well somebody certainly created a dumb assed redneck, I guess it's ok if we blame god.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210512 Feb 3, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, yeah, sure.
It's just that those monkeys are so violent and go around committing crimes, so segregation was really a pretty good idea.
Stick your controversy where the sun don't shine, you stupid, angry ChristoWhiteSupremacist.
Hey, don't quote Wiki unless you're prepared to read the whole damn thing.

I'm not a supremacist.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#210513 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
How the Holy Spirit impregnated Mary is an unknown phenomenon.
What the Topix Atheist! would call magic.
Or poofing.
Or fiction...

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210514 Feb 3, 2014
scaritual wrote:
Sure you do.
The very act of being racist means you discriminate, racially.
The primary definition or discriminate is "to recognize a distinction".

That's really all I do.

You don't like it?

Oh well.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 11 min River Tam 971,903
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 21 min Demon Finder 18,667
sexy sister and my girlfriend family holiday 1 hr cool 1
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr Steve III 45,018
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 281,495
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Steve III 650,851
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 56,497
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 2 hr bad bob 183,001
More from around the web