Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 255520 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210414 Feb 3, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that the words are clear and simple. They refer to a day with a morning and evening, which specifies which of several possible meanings of "yom" (day in Hebrew) was intended.
I find it odd that you would interpret them to mean an inexact but protracted period of time,then go ahead and call the words clear and simple.
It's apparent to others what you are doing even if it is not to you. It's done millions of times a day every day, and has resulted in tens of thousands of Christian divisions, each with thousands of individual that can't agree among themselves what their bible says, but each claiming that it his version is clearly and simply correct. The Christian bible says nothing if it can be used to say whatever you prefer.
You have to be willing to learn before you can learn.

You are unwilling.

And I am unwilling to path your rope any further on this.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210415 Feb 3, 2014
path / push

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210416 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:

Christians are humans too, IANS. We also serve humanity.
The church serves itself first and better.
THE CHURCH!! THE CHURCH!!

I said Christians, dude. You know ---^^^***people***^^^---

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210417 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I see the merit of Humanism as exactly that - compassion. But when and how does that compassion manifest for you?
The Golden Rule, for starters. Love one another. Your church should consider actually trying it rather than just saying it and claiming it for itself. None of us is fooled by that.
Bullshit.

You shit on Christians every chance you get. You mock us, ridicule us, make fun of God even.

You do not employ the golden rule.

You're a fraud.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210418 Feb 3, 2014
We have a clear knowledge of right and wrong. Your church does not.
Homophobia is wrong. Atheophobia is wrong. Slavery is wrong. Rape is wrong. Terrorizing children with stories of hellfire is wrong. Premarital sex is not wrong. Birth control and condoms are not wrong.
And the concept of sin is at the root of it. Sin is the word for your god not liking it. And as soon as you label something sin, the idea of retribution is there. Calling something sin allows you to feel good about persecuting it and indifferent to the sinner.
I disagree with your version of absolute morals.

Sin, or for you the concept of sin, is there to keep our morals in check. If we go the way of the Humanist, we'll have to morals.

Besides, Christianity doesn't teach that homophobia, rape or slavery is good.

I know, I know.... Here's comes a "push the boulder" remark.

That's all you got.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210419 Feb 3, 2014
<quoted text>
And many - perhaps more - have understood it to have occurred in one day. It's whatever you and they want it to be. How hard would it be to find some scripture supporting a belief that it took a month, or a season, or a year?
Ecclesiastes 3 - "There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot"
It looks like harvest time comes in a season.
Leviticus 25:22 - "While you plant during the eighth year, you will eat from the old crop and will continue to eat from it until the harvest of the ninth year comes in."
Oh look. You'll have to wait a year.
Clear and simple, right?
*pushes the IANS rope*
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#210420 Feb 3, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
And then they go to Shoney's and forget to tip the waitress.
Christians are the most generous people on earth and if its true there were reports of aberrant ones , its rare. They could not have been mature or considered disciplined ones". On the other hand, they don't soil bathrooms, or the floors under tables or cause the plates and silver ware to be put in an autoclave or discarded. If the tipping point comes with all this subversion of our Christian nation, im sure well heeled believers can start hiring actors and actresses to go around and play your same desperate game of , impugning.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#210421 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>RiversideRedneck wrote:

Christians are humans too, IANS. We also serve humanity.

THE CHURCH!! THE CHURCH!!

I said Christians, dude. You know ---^^^***people***^^^---
You've said you try to "follow" the jesus, yet you ignore his words.

The church, according to the mythical jesus, is the "body of believers", as in ---> people.

Duh.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#210422 Feb 3, 2014
The christian nation of America is full of starving children.

That's neither generous nor moral.

“I started out with nothing”

Since: Nov 10

and still got most of it left

#210423 Feb 3, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Chrissy, Im surprised to see you admit the inability of science. Science is a noble subject but it barely scratches the surface of knowing all the unknown things. Its a bad bet when it comes to ruling out a deity. It was a bad bet for all the millions of humans who died in its quest, not to mention animals and other creatures.
Hi

Say what? Because science is not there to stroke you bollocks you think that’s an inability?

There is a major difference between natural and supernatural, science deals with the natural, the supernatural godddidt by magic faith mumbo jumbo and mythology is left to faith, that is why it is called faith.

There is no scientific evidence for any deity, in fact there is scientific evidence to show that omnipotence cannot exist in this universe so that rules out over 2400 deities including the abrahamic one. The very fact that you exist, the very fact that you use the internet is testament to this.

Ahh you mean all the millions of people who killed and were killed in the name of religion? Note the biggest killer per population on this planet is said by you lot to be your god who it is claimed committed genocide against the entire human race except a handful of specially chosen people and all but a relatively few of every other living creature on this planet.

What animals (or other creatures – LOL) do you know of that have died for their god?- I don’t know about you but I can count that number on the fingers of one ear lobe.

Nice to see you cherry picked my response. Thank you for restoring my faith in you…

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#210424 Feb 3, 2014
What is the Christian church?
by Matt Slick

"that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she should be holy and blameless," (Eph. 5:27).

The Church is the "body of believers." It is comprised of those who have been saved and redeemed by the True and Living God, based upon the sacrifice of the Lord Jesus upon the cross. Inclusion in the Body of Christ is not by membership in a denomination, nor by baptism, nor or by dedication. It is not received by ritual, or by ceremony, or by natural birth. It is received by faith (Rom. 5:1; Eph. 2:8). The invisible church is the church made up of true believers. The visible church consists of those who say they are Christian but may or may not be truly saved. Being a member of a church on earth, guarantees nothing. Being a member of the Body of Christ, guarantees salvation.

http://carm.org/what-the-christian-church

Doesn't know about his own myth, wants to convince others it's reality.

LOL

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#210425 Feb 3, 2014
<quoted text>
Yes, I've seen several episodes of the show, and it doesn't usually mention religion, although it is too focused on wowing the audience rather than educating it, which is why I compared it to "In Search Of." Shatner has such a show now, too, called "Weird or What?".
I don't expect a show on science to be antireligious. I just question the gratuitous insertion of gods into a discussion of evolution. It wasn't a passing mention, either. It was the title and subject of the episode. Understanding the values of its production crew undermines its credibility to me. If they are willing to do that, what else are they willing to do? "Wonders of the Universe" with Brian Cox and "Cosmic Vistas" with Ivan Semeniuk, wouldn't go there.
I would think that was an episode catering to the audience, targeting a specific group of people who believe in theistic evolution. You are correct though it isn't really a scientific show, it is a somewhat scientific show, IE: an entertaining show.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#210426 Feb 3, 2014
<quoted text>
Were they protracted poofs then? Why would Yahweh take so long.
I've got bad news, by the way. On the seventh day, He rested. That day seems to be endless.
You don't realize how much of a giggle this conversation is giving me. ROFL! Then pick myself up...ROFLOLOL! again.

I'm glad you support them tho.

“True Blue”

Since: Jun 13

Opal-Hearted Land

#210427 Feb 3, 2014
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Luther inspired Hitler.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_a...
Virtually every humanist would emphatically reject such a man, yet Christianity not only has no problem with him, they have exalted him to just about the highest position of any mortal since Paul. These are the things that belie the claim that Christianity is a religion of love or that it gives a hoot about the Golden Rule. It merely gives them lip service.
Scary thoughts...
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#210428 Feb 3, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:

To put the Ivanhoe quote in context, Rebecca is being tried by the Inquisition (she is a Jew). The inquisitor make an argument that is extremely unsound logically. Rebecca responds, "This is beyond all reason!", to which the inquisitor replies, "Reason is the tool of the Devil to make us doubt our faith." As you have pointed out with Martin Luther, this was not just a position held by Catholics. We have seen this in all branches of Christianity, and in other religions as well..........If all you anti Christ people have to prevaricate and cast aspersions to bolster your agenda, doesn't it make you feel cheap? Christians don't kill. They obey Christ. Or they have the moniker in name only.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210429 Feb 3, 2014
<quoted text>
I guess I should congratulate you for growing, but I'm amazed that that was a "woooooooah moment." You weren't aware that there are processes too slow to witness, like aging? I can't even detect the apparent motion of the sun through the sky unless it is just peaking up above the horizon or just setting. I can only see it moving then, and that is a 24 hour cycle - you know, a yom.
So how about a little insight? Take this aha moment, and extrapolate it over your entire understanding of things. Then recognize how far behind you are, and why you should not be arguing with those who are not astonished by such comments. Also, try to imagine the impression you make when you do argue from a very limited base of understanding. Try to imagine how apparent it is to others. It might lead to a useful change of approach.
What I liked about that video - and I watched another from her as well - was how intelligent, articulate and confident she was, like our younger skeptical posters here in this thread. It gives one hope for the future.
Imagine that: Hope without a belief in immortality, another common mystery to many of the faithful - the same people who see no reason for moral behavior or a sense of purpose without a god belief. Where's the hope? In that video. In the world. I won't share her future except for the first thirty years of it if I am lucky, but it doesn't matter. I still have hope.
Here's the video for those that skipped it, but want to see it now:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =i0k9NyHh7TQXX&sns=em
She is the typical atheist, somehow or another she "knows" God doesn't exist.

It's a strong belief system you guys have.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210430 Feb 3, 2014
<quoted text>
I believe that you said that a few of the yoms in the biblical creation story were literal 24 hour yoms. Is that correct? If so, how long were those earliest yoms, the ones before the earth sprouted plants and animals?
How long did it take to build the dome separating the waters below the land from those over the vault? The bible says that evening passed and morning came, which tells me one day, but I realize that it could be anywhere from 24 hours to the 185 million year "day" of the dinosaur for a person free to improvise. What's your preference?
I said one could argue that the first few yoms in Genesis could be 24 hours, I did not say that they are.

But that argument gets washed away when you get to the third yom, which is obviously not a 24 hour period.

The "evening and morning" passing are figures of speech, which I gave you examples of yesterday. You know, the three examples of which two you ignored and erased....

*pushes the IANS rope*

Since: Sep 10

Redondo Beach, CA

#210431 Feb 3, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
I see the merit of Humanism as exactly that - compassion. But when and how does that compassion manifest for you?
<quoted text>
Bullshit.
You shit on Christians every chance you get. You mock us, ridicule us, make fun of God even.
You do not employ the golden rule.
You're a fraud.
My problem is with you stupid, angry ChristoWhiteSupremacists.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210432 Feb 3, 2014
Were they protracted poofs then? Why would Yahweh take so long.
I've got bad news, by the way. On the seventh day, He rested. That day seems to be endless.
Why? Because there's no mention of the right day?

Ugh...

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#210433 Feb 3, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> Hi Chrissy, Im surprised to see you admit the inability of science. Science is a noble subject but it barely scratches the surface of knowing all the unknown things. Its a bad bet when it comes to ruling out a deity. It was a bad bet for all the millions of humans who died in its quest, not to mention animals and other creatures.
Science is the worst way of knowing...except for all the other ways - Daniel Gilbert

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 2 min River Tam 49,220
How to solve racism (and sexism) once and for all 8 min Johnny 7
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 50 min RiccardoFire 105,648
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 58 min VIKING 971,782
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 1 hr RiccardoFire 44,709
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ2 281,280
Erotic, tantric and nuru massage - Central London (Sep '12) 2 hr toby lad 8
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr truth 646,781
topix drops human sexuality forum.......this be... 8 hr taylorr 25
More from around the web