Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 239082 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Bongo

Medford, NY

#210141 Feb 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
And when yours plays the flute, are you a cock star?
You know I'm just kidding, right?
It's just a game, Bongo.
of course. And who loves ya RT,? Jesus and Bongo

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#210142 Feb 2, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> of course. And who loves ya RT,? Jesus and Bongo
Jesus and Bongo. I think I saw that movie.

I love Art Carney.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#210143 Feb 2, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>I personally find the idea of killing anything reprehensible, when the killing is done to innocent little babies I find it even more so, I'm sorry you don't.
And BTW I know that something non-existent can't kill anything, but the god YOU BELIEVE in is said to be a baby killer, and the fact that you accept that as moral, makes your morality in question.
hi blacklagoon :)

can you repeat your explanation: why did those 2 perfect dry semi circles appear ?

please do not include anything personal against me. I am not a delusional person nor hallucinating. explain only in a scientific way. ok ?

the last explanation you gave me I could not find it. I did not read it fully. thanks.

Location hidden

#210144 Feb 2, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> What, im on a need to know basis, links please. The only thing im fixated on right now is a garlic bagel with tuna and chickory with a glass of red plum juice.
I'm afraid I can't link to it. I'd be banned...well, maybe not. It's really hard to get River banned, isn't it? It's not like I haven't tried.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#210145 Feb 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus and Bongo. I think I saw that movie.
I love Art Carney.
And all this time I thought Ronald Reagan played Bongo.

Wait... that was Bonzo, never mind.

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#210146 Feb 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm afraid I can't link to it. I'd be banned...well, maybe not. It's really hard to get River banned, isn't it? It's not like I haven't tried.
You got banned from the bible, you're not in it anywhere. lol

Location hidden

#210147 Feb 2, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
And all this time I thought Ronald Reagan played Bongo.
Wait... that was Bonzo, never mind.
That was Ricky Retardo or something like that.

We play da bongo, mon.

Location hidden

#210148 Feb 2, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>
You got banned from the bible, you're not in it anywhere. lol
There are Rivers all over the Bible.

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#210149 Feb 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
Were they good for some casual paddling?

Should I ask the man in the boat?

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#210150 Feb 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL ok
blacklagoon

Hyde Park, MA

#210151 Feb 2, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
<quoted text>
hi blacklagoon :)
can you repeat your explanation: why did those 2 perfect dry semi circles appear ?
please do not include anything personal against me. I am not a delusional person nor hallucinating. explain only in a scientific way. ok ?
the last explanation you gave me I could not find it. I did not read it fully. thanks.
I have done so back on page 10065, post #209602.

“Ditat Deus”

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

#210152 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What would you say is the "chief concern" of the Humanist?
It aint necessarily so wrote:
Roughly, easing the suffering and maximizing the contentment of all sentient creatures capable of experiencing and expressing these states.
That's a lovely sentiment.

When are y'all gonna get started?

Since: Sep 10

United States

#210153 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
RiversideRedneck wrote:
What would you say is the "chief concern" of the Humanist?
<quoted text>
That's a lovely sentiment.
When are y'all gonna get started?
As soon as we eradicate you ChristoWhiteSupremacists.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210154 Feb 2, 2014
It looks like somebody has convinced you that Young Earth Creationism is absurd. Good for you.
How are you disposing of the problem that the "mornings" and "evenings" of the creation myth that separate the creation of the earth from the creation of mankind seem to mean a few literal 24 hour days?
I've never believed in YEC, it isn't Biblcal. It doesn't even make sense. No one has taught me that, unless you want to call the Bible a person...

You may be able to make a 24-hour day argument for "day" one and two, but definitely not for day three.

Genesis 1:11 "Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees bearing fruit after their kind, with seed in them, on the earth".

Genesis 1:12; And the earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit, with seed in them, after their kind; and God saw that it was good.

Notice in both texts, it says "the earth" brought forth and sprouted the vegetation. It is very clear that the plants sprout and grow to maturity AND produce seed. There are no plants capable of doing that within a 24-hour period of time.

That refutes any argument an atheist or YECer can have about a 24 hour day.

Day six is also a problem for the YECers. In Genesis 1:24, God says "Let the earth bring forth living creatures [nephesh] after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind". Again we have the earth bringing forth living creatures, clearly something that takes longer than 24 hours.

Also on day six, God plants the Garden of Eden and Adam is created and names all the animals of the Earth. The Garden sprouting and Adam naming all the animals would also take more than 24 hours.

I expect backlash from both Topix Atheists! and my fellow Christians about this....

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210155 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
An atheist is a person that holds a belief that deities do not exist. That sort of person cannot believe a deity may exist. You're agnostic, scarscar. You're welcome.
Perhaps you've noticed that we define ourselves without regard to theists' faith based objections.
You can use the Topix Atheist! handbook to define words if you wish.

But that won't mean you're right.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210156 Feb 2, 2014
River Tam wrote:
You know there are web sites for your fixation, right?
Ask RR. I pointed him to one.
You are terrible at keeping secrets, young lady.

Where's your picture?!

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210157 Feb 2, 2014
But look at your method: faith. You choose the ideas that you prefer to believe and call them facts while rejecting others by the same method. It's guessing.
I need more than that to make decisions.
I know that you can't see any difference in believing in God or vampires and you purposefully ignore the large number of people that do.

I do not accept your challenge to show you the difference.

Keep your beliefs in unicorns and fairies and vampires for all I care.

“Ditat Deus”

Location hidden

#210158 Feb 2, 2014
Catcher1 wrote:
As soon as we eradicate you ChristoWhiteSupremacists.
Still waiting for you to demonstrate ANY racial supremacy on my part...

ANY...

G'head, ya pudgy bastawd...

“ Knight Of Hyrule”

Location hidden

#210159 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>
Still waiting for you to demonstrate ANY racial supremacy on my part...
ANY...
G'head, ya pudgy bastawd...
He made you a sand witch, now shup and fix us some sammiches ! hahahah

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#210162 Feb 2, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
That's a lovely sentiment. When are y'all gonna get started?
We've been doing it for centuries. All progress in the human condition in the West since the Age of Enlightenment can be credited to rational skepticism and rational ethics. Faith and revelation are sterile. Reason, evidence and compassion have given us everything from the abolition of slavery to individual political freedom to the polio vaccine. Prayer not so much.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Hidingfromyou 837,658
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 4 min YellowStar 176,850
Play "end of the word" (Jan '11) 5 min WasteWater 5,893
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 8 min WasteWater 4,210
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min oxbow 589,675
What do blacks think of asians? What do asians ... (Jan '08) 12 min dejuan shakka kahn 86
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 14 min WasteWater 99,743
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 4 hr Truths 612,160
More from around the web