Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 254985 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#209898 Feb 1, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>mtimber wrote:
Jesus Christ is the Creator Himself, so how could any other religion predate Him?
He is also the First Cause of the universe.

scaritual wrote:
Guess what?

You've provided no evidence or proof to back those claims. It's conjecture.

mtimber wrote, "As to your moral argument, where do you get an absolute moral standard with which to define morality with?
It certainly isn't atheism...
"

scaritual wrote: Deal with the claims you made above concerning your mythic deity in the first portion - by establishing that as being a literal reality - then we can move on to your question.

So you have no evidence - at all - to support your assertion.

I've never seen you provide anything as far as evidence for your deities existence. I'd like to see it. Maybe you have some evidence I've never seen.

Or, you have nothing but a bare assertion based upon maintaining a faith in support of a belief.

You have conjecture, pure and simple.
You are confusing your pre commitment to the rejection of Jesus Christ with lack of evidence.

Location hidden

#209899 Feb 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>It's in our godlike nature.

mtimber wrote, "If he is just a chemical accident in the great chemical accident which is our universe?"

Reductionist fallacy. It's the same one that says that the works of Shakespeare are nothing but letters, spaces and punctuation. We are more than chemistry. We are an emergent phenomenon of chemistry.

And don't confuse lack of intention with accident. It's not an accident that nebula keep condensing into solar systems. It's merely unintended.

mtimber wrote, "Why should we aspire to anything in an atheistic pointless universe?"

The pointless universe is of your own making. My life has meaning and purpose without a god belief. If yours has neither of those unless a god exists, then it has none even if that god exists. Existing to worship a deity may be that god's only purpose for you, but if you assent to that, then your life has little meaning to it and none at all to you.

How many times do you need to be told that you have no concept of what life is like outside of faith, and to stop trying to guess. It's obviously not for you to know. You'll never know what millions of other people that lived their lives differently from you know naturally and effortlessly.
How do you derive a concept of meaning in an atheistic worldview?

“Turning coffee into theorems”

Since: Dec 06

Trapped inside a Klein Bottle

#209900 Feb 1, 2014
Just saw a poll, likely inspired by the upcoming Super Bowl, that right at 50% of Americans believe God intervenes in sporting events.

A hefty percentage believe that their favorite team has been cursed.

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#209901 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
you are just defending a subjective opinion and expecting me to receive it as an argument.
LOL.

Location hidden

#209902 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>You are putting words in my mouth, just like all the other Liars for Jesus.

Why do you feel the need to do that? Is your position so weak that the only way you can defend it is to lie?

I would continue this conversation, but I have to agree with IANS. You, mtimber, bongo and others have no critical thinking skills and seemingly can't develop any at this late stage of your life. Trying to get the point across is just an exercise in futility. Nothing I can do will get the point across to you. You will just have to accept that your mind can not get around the subject and leave it at that.
Is lying wrong?

You are making absolute moral judgements again.

I thought you didn't believe in such things?

Again you refute yourself, claiming to believe one thing but acting another way...

Location hidden

#209903 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>I have come to agree with you. It is too late for several of these posters.

And not only can they not get their minds around the ideas presented, they can't even listen. They are so focused on their "argument" that they don't hear your response.

And on top of that, they have to lie to advance their agenda. It's pathetic.
Why is lying pathetic?

Another absolute moral judgement, you really are not getting the hang of this are you?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#209904 Feb 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
<quoted text>You're not real smart, are you?

<pats mtimber on his wittle head>

<listens to the water slosh>

<does it again>

<giggles>
Lol.

Location hidden

#209905 Feb 1, 2014
Aura Mytha wrote:
<quoted text>Exactly why there is no absolute moral standard.
Get it?
It's possible in 1000 years people will look back and think we were barbaric back in the 21 century for some reason or another.
So you cannot condemn Christian morality then.

You have no basis to claim atheism is morally superior, as you have just asserted that is impossible.

Instead of trying to worm out of the consequences of your argument, why not try thinking about the absurdity of your argument.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209906 Feb 1, 2014
RiversideRedneck wrote:
<quoted text>Do I have to answer?
Only if you're able.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209907 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>So you want to make a moral judgement about my posting style?

Abandoning atheism again I see...
One thing you don't do is see.

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209908 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>I could present many arguments, but with your religious commitment to a denial of Gods existence no matter the evidence it would be a waste of my time.

Here is a clue for you though, want to know how the universe was created, ask the One who was there...
I'm guessing you've already done that.

So...what did it say?

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#209909 Feb 1, 2014
You can't refute the atheist position without producing a god.
mtimber wrote:
Jesus Christ is God. So I have presented you with the very thing you demand. Your objection is unfounded.
Is this the best you have - a statement of faith?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209910 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>How do you derive a concept of meaning in an atheistic worldview?
That is up to each individual.

Many say that to attain happiness is the entire meaning of life.

I'd settle for contentment, but I have a bunch of nasty-ass, lying Christians determined to destroy that.

Location hidden

#209911 Feb 1, 2014
Note to spectators.

The key thing to watch here is the suppression of truth by the atheists.

Whilst insisting that there are no absolute moral standards, they will keep appealing to them when "outraged".

This contradictory behaviour is revealed because whilst the claim to live in an atheistic universe, reality keeps catching them out and revealing their knowledge of reality, a reality that can only lead to a knowledge of Jesus Christ, the Creator.

They know this and resist it by retreating to absurdity and contradiction in an attempt to avoid the logical conclusion of their position.

When they feel trapped, they will start to lash out questioning the intelligence of the one who is challenging them whilst appealing to their own self generated picture of themselves as an intellectual giant.

This is the same spirit that crucified Jesus Christ.

The current discussion is now degenerating into childish ad hominem, playground bully tactics, which is an evidence of this being the case.

The response to this will be a justification of their behaviour.

Don't be fooled though, this is just a signal they have been defeated and have nothing of value to offer.

Location hidden

#209912 Feb 1, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>I'm guessing you've already done that.

So...what did it say?
In the beginning God...

Location hidden

#209913 Feb 1, 2014
<quoted text>mtimber wrote, "Jesus Christ is God. So I have presented you with the very thing you demand. Your objection is unfounded.
"

Is this the best you have - a statement of faith?
It's a statement of knowledge.

A knowledge you would have if you stopped suppressing the truth long enough so you could think rationally.

Location hidden

#209914 Feb 1, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>That is up to each individual.

Many say that to attain happiness is the entire meaning of life.

I'd settle for contentment, but I have a bunch of nasty-ass, lying Christians determined to destroy that.
Why is contentment a goal in life?

You are just a chemical fizz in a hostile universe, waiting to fizz out.

A minuscule mote in an uncaring and empty universe.

Tell me how that gives you meaning?

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#209915 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
Note to spectators.
Whilst insisting that there are no absolute moral standards, they will keep appealing to them when "outraged".
This contradictory behaviour is revealed because whilst the claim to live in an atheistic universe, reality keeps catching them out and revealing their knowledge of reality, a reality that can only lead to a knowledge of Jesus Christ, the Creator.
They know this and resist it by retreating to absurdity and contradiction in an attempt to avoid the logical conclusion of their position.
When they feel trapped, they will start to lash out questioning the intelligence of the one who is challenging them whilst appealing to their own self generated picture of themselves as an intellectual giant.
The current discussion is now degenerating into childish ad hominem, playground bully tactics, which is an evidence of this being the case.
Don't be fooled though, this is just a signal they have been defeated and have nothing of value to offer.
…said the man who keeps harping on "absolute moral authority" even though he doesn't understand the concept.

Dude, seriously, you're really embarrassing yourself.

You've been asked so many questions on this subject and you can't answer any of them.

If people mock you, its only to show others not to take you seriously.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#209916 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
<quoted text>
In the beginning God...
…didn't exist.

Still doesn't.

I would ask you to prove that your god exists, but you'll just say that all the proof in the world would be useless because I won't believe any proof.

So transparent. So sad for you.

“Seventh son”

Since: Dec 10

Will Prevail

#209917 Feb 1, 2014
mtimber wrote:
Note to spectators.
Why would anyone would drop this steamy pile IDK.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 4 min onemale 280,525
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 5 min good advice 617,977
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 5 min DENG 38,043
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min here 30,089
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 9 min pusherman 968,905
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 14 min good advice 43,922
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 23 min Liam 638,057
More from around the web