Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent. Full Story

“Life may be sweeter for this”

Since: Nov 08

Fennario

#209610 Feb 1, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
He didn't get it out of the Creation Handbook of what questions to ask and answers to keep repeating like a computer program. Are you a live human or just a computer program. You sound like a machine. With utterly random quotes being generated. No wonder you don't have a heart.
That comes through strongly, doesn't it? If he is human, he has had his human spark extinguished. It is really quite shocking and dispiriting.

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#209611 Feb 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
A moral standard like?
No murdering, stealing, lying, cheating, beating, abusing, larceny, armed robbery, arson, false accusing, treason, bigotry, kidnapping, official oppression, crimes against children, crimes against the elderly?
ďWhy you feel "absolute moral standards" are necessary?Ē
Just have extended stay in Syria, Sudan, and Yemen
As far as your question about Saudi Arabia. Youíll need to address that question to the Saudiís. Be sure to go over there and ask them personally.
So where is the moral absolutes? Obviously not in some countries.
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
No murdering, stealing, lying, cheating, beating, abusing, larceny, armed robbery, arson, false accusing, treason, bigotry, kidnapping, official oppression, crimes against children, crimes against the elderly?
Somebody should tell Israel. They're not adhering to your standards of morality.

Location hidden

#209612 Feb 1, 2014

Location hidden

#209613 Feb 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
California is in serious trouble with lakes drying up and a shortage of water.
But thatís not whatís important. Whatís important is they allow Gay Marriage in that growing dust bowel.
You Atheist don't believe in God so you can't blame it on God.
Do you blame the drought on God?

Perhaps you can pray for the City of Angels before it returns to the desert it's supposed to be.

Fennario

#209614 Feb 1, 2014
ol pa wrote:
We aren't unemotional personalityless slaves to the machine we call "science". If you ignore redemption, forgiveness, love, and an unflinching acceptance of the dignity of all shrewdly in the name of some emotionless, loveliness system of a machine that is revered as "science" then we all lose. Human beings are not laboratory rats to be poked an discarded as useless.
When you read this kind of treatment of science, you know that some faith-based belief underlies it.

Science is our slave, not the other way around. it gives to us on demand, and we offer it nothing in return but our gratitude and respect. What you need to worry about is not science, but what the worst of humanity is willing to do with it.

Science is our friend. It's enemies are not.

Fennario

#209615 Feb 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
If there were a story where a king ordered a man to kill his son, and the man was willing to do it, we would consider both the king and the man to be monsters, lacking morals. But change the king to God and the man to Abraham, and many of these believers suddenly find it a wonderful tale of morality. Go figure.
scaritual wrote:
Agreed. Behavior attributed to the deity for purposes of vengeance, or punishment, a "lesson" or other such "godly" action is automatically seen as acceptable.
Admirable. Infinitely wise and - so - appropriate.
What is the worst idea ever offered as a moral truth if not that anything attributed to the god is moral, and that submission to the will of those speaking for it is right behavior?

Are we all familiar with this concept? If not, please read about divine command theory

"The divine command theory (DCT) of ethics holds that an act is either moral or immoral solely because God either commands us to do it or prohibits us from doing it, respectively. On DCT the only thing that makes an act morally wrong is that God prohibits doing it, and all that it means to say that torture is wrong is that God prohibits torture."
http://infidels.org/library/modern/theism/div...

If one believes that his god wants him to gouge out the eyes of puppies with a sharp spoon, or to perpetrate a Holocaust, it becomes immoral not to. In fact, such disobedience is called sin, rebellion, and pride, and is grounds for damnation.

Decent people reject such a system.

Fennario

#209616 Feb 1, 2014
andet1987 wrote:
If you can give a good explanation why those 2 perfect dry semi circles appeared, then probably I will retract my claim that I witnessed a real Miracle. Give me a scientific explanation why it happened. if you can not, then I will always claim that what I saw was a real Miracle.
Religion is probably right for you. It caters to such thinking.

Fennario

#209617 Feb 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>
Science is mans quest for knowledge and thatís a good thing. But speculating as in some sciences is not really science but meandering thoughts. And thatís where I have a problem with science.
Some sciences? Which ones?

You aren't qualified to judge science on its merits and various claims, are you You reject science wherever it contradicts your faith. My guess is that you have no qualms with germ theory, cell theory, or atomic theory, but have a huge problem with evolution, abiogenesis and cosmogenesis. Young earth creationists will object to plate tectonics and other old earth theories because they contradict their faith, not because of any "meandering."

Somebody has been arguing about how planets form - somebody who probably cannot define planet. Do you suppose that they have examined the pertinent differential equations and Hubble Space Telescope data and found them lacking, or that they contradict Genesis?

Whether you are aware or not, we understand how you make these judgments, which has nothing to do with the quality of the science, and everything to do with its implications.

What's your position on quantum theory? How about unified field theory? Does those one meet your rigorous criteria for validity, or does it meander too much?

Fennario

#209618 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
Somewhere in ancient and immoral holy book is a story written by an unknown author telling about a God like being, for which no evidence exists, scooping up a handful of dirt,( I guess this unknown author has inside information that this God thing has hands) and he blew on this dirt and out popped a fully formed human male. The pathetic part about all of this is you can't even begin to see how totally insane this proposition is especially when compared to the explanation that takes place in reality.
But Genesis doesn't meander. That's its merit.

Fennario

#209619 Feb 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
Thank you, Your disgust is indication a point was scored against your team.[tipping hat]
How many points did Jeff Dahmer score? He garnered more disgust than you did.

Fennario

#209620 Feb 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
they allow Gay Marriage in that growing dust bowel. You Atheist don't believe in God so you can't blame it on God.
We don't blame blame dusty bowels on a god.

Fennario

#209621 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
With thousands of children starving to death everyday, and more children dying from childhood cancers, do you really think God would ignore these children, which he apparently does, and take the time to make some dry spots on a sidewalk?.......Really?
I'm still reeling from the dusty bowels.

Check out Betty White's giant dusty muffin

“What's left to defend?”

Since: Jan 11

Freedom

#209622 Feb 1, 2014
River Tam wrote:
There's so much tension over there you could cut it with a scimitar.
Bongo

Medford, NY

#209623 Feb 1, 2014
<quoted text>
We have to make these judgments according to our own values and understanding, not those of people with a stake in abiogenesis being incorrect.
A Sisyphean endeavor.
Jim

London, UK

#209624 Feb 1, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> A Sisyphean endeavor.
Your Creationist cult is gone and went away in 2005. now you are left to troll the forum like a lost sheep.
Bongo

Medford, NY

#209625 Feb 1, 2014
<quoted text>
When you read this kind of treatment of science, you know that some faith-based belief underlies it.
Science is our slave, not the other way around. it gives to us on demand, and we offer it nothing in return but our gratitude and respect. What you need to worry about is not science, but what the worst of humanity is willing to do with it.
Science is our friend. It's enemies are not.
Hows science doing with its explantion of Jesus and his followers? Has it figured out what a soul is ? or a spirit? If total reliance on science ends in humiliation upon the meeting of your maker , How was it your friend? All the inhabitants of the earth know the sign of the cross, They have a choice. Thanks to the Jews , of course because they failed to bring forth Messiah. No wonder they don't proselytize.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#209626 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Not in my worldview. You aren't listening, are you.

In SOMEONES worldview. There is almost certainly someone somewhere that thinks that.

If I saw someone doing that, I would think MY moral responsibility would be to stop them. But that is MY viewpoint. Their viewpoint is different.

You have the mistaken view that YOUR position is an absolute and must apply to everyone.

And your argument here is based on one extreme example. Even if one were to show people universally consider molestation to be immoral, it doesn't prove your point. Showing one example to be an absolute does not prove your contention THAT ALL MORAL POSITIONS ARE ABSOLUTE.

You have made a similar error in claiming my thinking is all black and white by pointing to one thing that I consider a hard and fast rule. One example does not prove every example. Your logic is very flawed on this. It is like you are saying "This car has a flat tire, therefore all cars have flat tires." Do you see how your "logic" doesn't work?

Probably not. I find fundamentalist almost universally have little understanding of how logic works. For the most part they seem to think "logical" = "agrees with what I believe".

I agree with House. If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people.
So you have a child and want to protect them from being abused and that is absolute for you.

Another wants to abuse your child and believe they have the absolute right to do so because they are stronger and have a higher IQ than you.

You are saying neither position is absolute and both positions are absolute.

You realise this position is illogical ad therefore unreasonable.

I mention this as you seem keen to assert you are thinking logically here, when clearly you are not.

You have however clearly displayed the absurdity of the atheistic commitment to a denial of the reality of absolute morality.

You have refuted atheism with this clear contradiction.

And as atheism cannot stand due to its inherent internal contradiction, to claim it is true is to claim irrationality is true.

You have absolutely no moral basis upon which to attack Christianity.

Only if you assume Christianity can you attempt to attack Christianity.

Atheism supplies no such luxury.

Only Christianity offers a complete rational basis for understanding human experience, which is why you have to borrow from it to make your arguments.

You want to claim to be an atheist and yet argue like you are a Christian...

Location hidden

#209627 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Please show where I appealed to an absolute standard? You see absolutes where none are.
You have made it clear that child molestation is not absolutely wrong, so with that in mind I assume you do not consider lying to be wrong.

That being the case, how can I trust you are telling me the truth.

Your moral relativism defeats your own argument.

You refute yourself.

Location hidden

#209628 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>I will point out that while I might think they were morally wrong, THEY think that they are morally right. How is my position then a moral absolute if others can come to a different decision?
So child molestation is ok in your worldview?

It is merely a matter of preference?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#209629 Feb 1, 2014
<quoted text>RiversideRedneck wrote, "
Christianity strives to bring everyone together.
. "

RiversideRedneck wrote, "
Christianity teaches many useful things. "

LOL.
Good answer.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Hidingfromyou 794,149
Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 6 min AN NFL FAN 120,646
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min Anthony MN 567,575
Learn Not The Way Of The Heathen! 27 min how g 2
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 27 min AntiqueAnnie 607,097
The saints say only way to Heaven is through Ca... 41 min how g 5
4 word game (use same Letter) (Mar '13) 1 hr andet1987 1,322
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr RADEKT 267,336
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 6 hr RiccardoFire 97,439
More from around the web