Atheism requires as much faith as rel...

Atheism requires as much faith as religion?

There are 256542 comments on the Webbunny tumblelog story from Jul 18, 2009, titled Atheism requires as much faith as religion?. In it, Webbunny tumblelog reports that:

Atheism requires as much faith as religion? bearvspuma : The only problem with this rationalization is that ita s assuming all athiests are so because theya re intelligent in the ways of science and reasoning and all people that believe in a form of god are unintelligent.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Webbunny tumblelog.

Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#209623 Feb 1, 2014
It aint necessarily so wrote:
<quoted text>
We have to make these judgments according to our own values and understanding, not those of people with a stake in abiogenesis being incorrect.
A Sisyphean endeavor.
Jim

London, UK

#209624 Feb 1, 2014
Bongo wrote:
<quoted text> A Sisyphean endeavor.
Your Creationist cult is gone and went away in 2005. now you are left to troll the forum like a lost sheep.
Bongo

Miller Place, NY

#209625 Feb 1, 2014
<quoted text>
When you read this kind of treatment of science, you know that some faith-based belief underlies it.
Science is our slave, not the other way around. it gives to us on demand, and we offer it nothing in return but our gratitude and respect. What you need to worry about is not science, but what the worst of humanity is willing to do with it.
Science is our friend. It's enemies are not.
Hows science doing with its explantion of Jesus and his followers? Has it figured out what a soul is ? or a spirit? If total reliance on science ends in humiliation upon the meeting of your maker , How was it your friend? All the inhabitants of the earth know the sign of the cross, They have a choice. Thanks to the Jews , of course because they failed to bring forth Messiah. No wonder they don't proselytize.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#209626 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Not in my worldview. You aren't listening, are you.

In SOMEONES worldview. There is almost certainly someone somewhere that thinks that.

If I saw someone doing that, I would think MY moral responsibility would be to stop them. But that is MY viewpoint. Their viewpoint is different.

You have the mistaken view that YOUR position is an absolute and must apply to everyone.

And your argument here is based on one extreme example. Even if one were to show people universally consider molestation to be immoral, it doesn't prove your point. Showing one example to be an absolute does not prove your contention THAT ALL MORAL POSITIONS ARE ABSOLUTE.

You have made a similar error in claiming my thinking is all black and white by pointing to one thing that I consider a hard and fast rule. One example does not prove every example. Your logic is very flawed on this. It is like you are saying "This car has a flat tire, therefore all cars have flat tires." Do you see how your "logic" doesn't work?

Probably not. I find fundamentalist almost universally have little understanding of how logic works. For the most part they seem to think "logical" = "agrees with what I believe".

I agree with House. If you could reason with religious people, there would be no religious people.
So you have a child and want to protect them from being abused and that is absolute for you.

Another wants to abuse your child and believe they have the absolute right to do so because they are stronger and have a higher IQ than you.

You are saying neither position is absolute and both positions are absolute.

You realise this position is illogical ad therefore unreasonable.

I mention this as you seem keen to assert you are thinking logically here, when clearly you are not.

You have however clearly displayed the absurdity of the atheistic commitment to a denial of the reality of absolute morality.

You have refuted atheism with this clear contradiction.

And as atheism cannot stand due to its inherent internal contradiction, to claim it is true is to claim irrationality is true.

You have absolutely no moral basis upon which to attack Christianity.

Only if you assume Christianity can you attempt to attack Christianity.

Atheism supplies no such luxury.

Only Christianity offers a complete rational basis for understanding human experience, which is why you have to borrow from it to make your arguments.

You want to claim to be an atheist and yet argue like you are a Christian...

Location hidden

#209627 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Please show where I appealed to an absolute standard? You see absolutes where none are.
You have made it clear that child molestation is not absolutely wrong, so with that in mind I assume you do not consider lying to be wrong.

That being the case, how can I trust you are telling me the truth.

Your moral relativism defeats your own argument.

You refute yourself.

Location hidden

#209628 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>I will point out that while I might think they were morally wrong, THEY think that they are morally right. How is my position then a moral absolute if others can come to a different decision?
So child molestation is ok in your worldview?

It is merely a matter of preference?

“I see quantum effects”

Since: Jan 11

In the macro world.

#209629 Feb 1, 2014
<quoted text>RiversideRedneck wrote, "
Christianity strives to bring everyone together.
. "

RiversideRedneck wrote, "
Christianity teaches many useful things. "

LOL.
Good answer.:)

Location hidden

#209630 Feb 1, 2014
We don't blame blame dusty bowels on a god.
It's just another god of the gaps, which are well represented in the annals of history. Believers will wedge their deities into the tightest of cracks when they can't find gaping holes.

Location hidden

#209631 Feb 1, 2014
Darwins Stepchild wrote:
<quoted text>Again, what absolute moral standards of humanity?

In much of Africa, they consider it moral to burn people accused of witchcraft.

I Saudi Arabia they consider it moral to behead someone accused of sorcery.

In the West, we consider both of these actions to be immoral (at least most of us do).

So where is the moral absolute?
Moral absolutes can only be derived from an absolutely moral source.

God Himself has revealed that to us both internally through the Holy Spirit and evidentially and empirically through the interactions of Jesus Christ, the Son Of God as recorded in the historical and inspired record known as the Bible.

Location hidden

#209632 Feb 1, 2014
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Your misstated version of my position is funny.

From what I've observed, that's really the extent of your interaction.
So you don't think humanity is capable of creating life then?

But you believe a rock can.

You might want to spell out what you consider acceptable sources for abiogenesis?

Location hidden

#209633 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>Your personal "god" has a name, just like the thousands of other gods with names, what is your gods name? I have three gods I worship, reason, logic and skepticism.
You mean "self"?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209634 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>This may indeed be the most idiotic statement ever.

Without science you would have:

1.) No vaccines against a myriad of deadly diseases, your children would most likely be dead right now

2.) No clean water and sanitation, or course that would mean even more unbridled diseases.

3.) No abundant food, with the world population as it is, thought without medicine the number would be down considerably, food would be scarce and the quality very poor, not much nutrition means more diseases and child deaths.

4.) Life expectancy would be down considerably as it was prior to the scientific advancements in medicine, maybe 30 or 40, I suspect you'd be long dead by now.

5) No world wide communication or information gathering, you'd be living in a vacuum.

6.) No world wide transportation, television, telephone, cars, bikes, air conditioning, heating systems, including stoves, guns,( a good thing, but would be nice for hunting for yer possums) axes, knives, other than those you fashion out of stone, hammer, nails, screws, screw drivers, or any other tools other than those from wood or stone.

In effect you'd now be living like an early cave dweller without science. Since you religious beliefs have advanced about as far as ancient cave dwellers, this might appeal to you.
He wouldn't even be to the level of living in a cave.

Science, in a most basic way, showed cave dwellers that shelter made survival more likely.

Location hidden

#209635 Feb 1, 2014
Happy Lesbo wrote:
<quoted text>.. let us toast to joys of sin ..

.. good food, fine wine and Major sex this weekend ..
Toasting selfishness?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209636 Feb 1, 2014
ol pa wrote:
Old pa here. This is just a bunch of blabbering. Do the best you can for each other and it'll all work out.
Sage advice.

Location hidden

#209637 Feb 1, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>This response proves that no matter what the reality, you will see only that which you want to see, no matter how much you have to twist that reality.
Offer an alternative.

If absolute morality does not exist, then how can child molestation be absolutely wrong?

Child molestation is absolutely wrong, therefore absolute morality exists.

Tell me, which of the above do you hold to be true?

Location hidden

#209638 Feb 1, 2014
Aerobatty wrote:
<quoted text>What sin?

I lost a job I had for 29 years because of a small group of Christians who bore false witness against me.

My guess is they don't believe in god or jesus any more than I do.
How does Christians behaving in a way that is condemned by Christianity prove God does not exist?

Location hidden

#209639 Feb 1, 2014
blacklagoon wrote:
<quoted text>.

When science is successful in demonstrating abiogenesis, it will not be humans creating life, but science reproducing a purely naturalistic event.
That is a lot of faith you have displayed there.

You seem very religious...

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209640 Feb 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>A moral standard like?

No murdering, stealing, lying, cheating, beating, abusing, larceny, armed robbery, arson, false accusing, treason, bigotry, kidnapping, official oppression, crimes against children, crimes against the elderly?

“Why you feel "absolute moral standards" are necessary?”

Just have extended stay in Syria, Sudan, and Yemen

As far as your question about Saudi Arabia. You’ll need to address that question to the Saudi’s. Be sure to go over there and ask them personally.

So where is the moral absolutes? Obviously not in some countries.
You realize that all of the above moral standards you mentioned above are, in numerous instances, condoned, or even commanded, by the very god that you claim is the source of your so-called absolute moral standards.

Of course you do.

Location hidden

#209641 Feb 1, 2014
sweets2360 wrote:
<quoted text>What kind of stupid jerk off are you? He has never NEVER never condoned anyone harming a child or anyone, nor would I. You do not have to have a so called biblical god to be a decent human being. It sounds like you are the one who would hurt anyone if someone higher than you said that your god wanted you to harm them, and you would do so without one qualm. I bet you just loved Jim Jones didn't you? God talked to him all the time.
So you are stating child molestation is absolutely wrong, I assume you are an atheist, that being the case, upon what absolute moral standard are you making this claim?

“I see quantum effects”

In the macro world.

#209642 Feb 1, 2014
Eagle 12 wrote:
<quoted text>Science is mans quest for knowledge and that’s a good thing. But speculating as in some sciences is not really science but meandering thoughts. And that’s where I have a problem with science.
It was those meandering thoughts of people like Einstein that lead to much of our current understanding of the universe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 min lil whispers 618,750
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 min Gabriel 973,646
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 6 min crucifiedguy 281,839
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Yeshua WasIS God-... 653,674
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min here 63,355
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 43 min ChristineM 445,964
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr andet1987 2,565
More from around the web