Sanderson,Texas "Judge Leo Smith" bet...

Sanderson,Texas "Judge Leo Smith" better than ever before

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#1 Jul 21, 2010
Many things have changed in Sanderson over the last few years and for the most part the changes have been great. In 2003 when “Judge Leo Smith” took office the County had a tax rate of .54 cents and a net value of 2.2 million dollars.
In July of 2010 the tax rate is down to .38 cents with a net County value of 8.4 million dollars and over 5 million dollars as a cash reserve.
In spite of numerous groups that have tried to discredit the County officials and use the Counties assets for personal gain the Terrell County Commissioner Court led by Judge Leo Smith have prevailed and done an outstanding job keeping taxes low and improving the community.
Just to name a few improvements, New Fire trucks and Ambulances have been purchased as well as County Road and bridge equipment. The Sheriffs department has received numerous new vehicles as well as equipment to help battle the ongoing homeland security issues.
There is a 1 million dollar Convention Center being built on Main Street and over 2 million dollars worth of floodwater control drainage ditch improvements going on in town.
Terrell County is head and shoulders above what things were like in 2003 thanks to a very aggressive Court and Judge

http://www.sandersontx.info/index.html

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Monty

Alpine, TX

#2 Jul 24, 2010
So True, Check out the web site below
Bill

Dallas, TX

#3 Jul 27, 2010
There is so much malicious junk on the internet its a treat to find real facts and not someone trying to delibertly trash a comunity or person with untrue lies. Samderson is a great place and yes judge leo smith has made the change from a nothing town to a great place. We are glad to have the change and dont believe the outsiders trash. We love our town.
Gary

Dallas, TX

#4 Jul 29, 2010
Great look at Terrell Counties web site. The County and Judge Leo Smith are doing fantastic
Marsha

Alpine, TX

#5 Jul 31, 2010
LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!
Tom

Alpine, TX

#6 Aug 1, 2010
Great, What an improvement
Lynda

Alpine, TX

#7 Aug 4, 2010
What a great town and improvements. Judge Leo Smith has done a great job here.
Zane

Alpine, TX

#8 Aug 5, 2010
Way to go
mad parent

Alpine, TX

#9 Aug 5, 2010
westtexan1 wrote:
Many things have changed in Sanderson over the last few years and for the most part the changes have been great. In 2003 when “Judge Leo Smith” took office the County had a tax rate of .54 cents and a net value of 2.2 million dollars.
In July of 2010 the tax rate is down to .38 cents with a net County value of 8.4 million dollars and over 5 million dollars as a cash reserve.
In spite of numerous groups that have tried to discredit the County officials and use the Counties assets for personal gain the Terrell County Commissioner Court led by Judge Leo Smith have prevailed and done an outstanding job keeping taxes low and improving the community.
Just to name a few improvements, New Fire trucks and Ambulances have been purchased as well as County Road and bridge equipment. The Sheriffs department has received numerous new vehicles as well as equipment to help battle the ongoing homeland security issues.
There is a 1 million dollar Convention Center being built on Main Street and over 2 million dollars worth of floodwater control drainage ditch improvements going on in town.
Terrell County is head and shoulders above what things were like in 2003 thanks to a very aggressive Court and Judge
what is wrong with you people look at yourselfes leo smith is a prejudice, a few years back after he won his election for jugde, ruben rosas and another unknown name, congradulated smith, and smith said ''i dont need yall mexicans opinion i won already'' is this the man we want as our jugde? you tell me.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Zane

Alpine, TX

#10 Aug 6, 2010
That last post was all crap, Ruben works for Terrell County, Look at the web site and see for yourself, Click on these links

http://www.sandersontx.info/

http://www.sandersontx.info/pages/aboutus/cou...

Thats what is wrong with Sanderson,People who write untrue posts like the last one. Read the Counties web for the truth. These are printed copies of articles from the local newspaper.
Albert

Alpine, TX

#11 Aug 6, 2010
What a shame that people cant be happy with positive results.
The proof is in the reading that was in print in the local newspaper.

Jim

Alpine, TX

#12 Aug 21, 2010
mad parent wrote:
<quoted text>what is wrong with you people look at yourselfes leo smith is a prejudice, a few years back after he won his election for jugde, ruben rosas and another unknown name, congradulated smith, and smith said ''i dont need yall mexicans opinion i won already'' is this the man we want as our jugde? you tell me.
This is just pue mean and full of crap. Take a look at the improvements in Sanderson. The town is better than it ever was. Why not appreciate it and not tear it down?
Della

Alpine, TX

#13 Sep 9, 2010
Zane

Fort Stockton, TX

#14 Oct 1, 2010
News article about Sanderson,Texas

County in ‘good shape’

SANDERSON – In spite of a very tough year economically in 2009, Terrell County increased its
fund balance by more than $500,000, it was revealed Monday.
Shaw Skinner of Skinner & Lara, PC, of Alpine presented his annual audit to Terrell County
Commissioners.
“The county’s general fund and total government fund revenues exceeded expenditures by
$545,963 and $835,689 for the years ended 2009 and 2008 respectively,” he said.“General
fund revenues were $178,684 higher than 2008 and total expenses were up by $468,410,
including medical insurance, capital equipment purchases and funding the employee
retirement plan.
“The county reported total fund balance of $7,834,179 at September 30, 2009, as compared
to $7,288,216 at September 30, 2008,” he said.“The net increase of revenue over expenses
in 2009 of $545,963 resulted in the increase in fund balance.”
Skinner said the audit was based on a modified cash basis, something more and more
counties are going to instead of an accrual basis.
He said they are adopting the modified cash basis “when they are in good financial shape,
which you are.”
Modified cash accounting measures revenues when they are received and expenses when
they are incurred, he said. Accrual accounting considers things such as accounts receivable
and payable.
“The county is in pretty good shape,” Skinner said.“You have a lot of cash in the bank.”
“During this fiscal year, we have improved the facilities at the airport, including new paving,
continued to construct major drainage ditches with a $936,000 TxDOT [Texas Department of
Transportation] grant, added a stockpile of emergency disaster supplies including MRE [Meals
Ready to Eat] food supplies, water and bedding for EMS [Emergency Medical Services] and
Emergency Operations Center for people needing shelter, added to park and recreation
facilities, constructed a new fire station addition and purchased a pumper fire truck,” County
Judge Leo Smith said.
Skinner’s report noted the county had total assets of $8,249,179 in the last fiscal year and
liabilities of $415,000.
However, County Treasurer Lynda Helmers said a $300,000 payment on the “tax notes”
creating that liability will be made this month.
Article taken from the Terrell County Newsleader February 12, 2010
*As of end of May 2010, the 2004 tax notes have all been paid.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Frank

Brownwood, TX

#15 Oct 17, 2010
I have been in Sanderson all my life and I can honestly say that the town and improvements by the Court are better than anything I have ever seen. For years we were told we could not or should not do something and we believed it because that was what we were told.
Thank goodness someboby came along and thinks outside the box.
Great job!!
Texas Born

Santa Rosa, CA

#16 Nov 2, 2010
Tell ya something....When I was down there searching for a place to move my small business, and perhaps purchase a home; I got the distinct feeling from "One of the Two" Real Estate companies in Sanderson,(it wasn't UC), that if I wasn't relocating right away-then, they were not interested.
After talking with many folks, it seemed very much that the "Town" is "Cliqued Up", and you were either in one faction, or another.
I can see how obstacles could be present at every turn....I also got the "feeling", that the "obstacle faction", were transplants from other areas in Texas, and "they" wanted to supplant "their people" in key positions.
I truley would love to have moved the business there, I could have certified at least 30 jobs for local folks, with reasonably good pay scale.
I truly Loved the County....I even bought a house!
I'm glad I'm "shut of it" now.
Would I "Try Again"...Yes. However, I've since sold to another Texas company that has provided jobs to their town folks; I would buy a small business, buy another home there-BUT, that "Clique" business needs to go.
Disgusted

Houston, TX

#17 Oct 13, 2011
Sanderson is still looking good thanks to the projects started last year under Judge Smith but it is very obvious that the new Judge and Court have no idea what they are doing. Commissioner Charles Steagall and Michelle Marcos are the two worst things to happen to the County since the 1965 flood. They are the kiss of death for that town and County.Neither have a clue what's going on and both have a personal interest in the Counties business. if they don't financially benefit from it they are against it.
Without the old Court the County Nd town Are lost.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Sandrsonite

Santa Anna, TX

#18 Apr 12, 2013
Charles Stegall and Michelle Marcs are without a doubt the worst Commissioners Terrell County has ever had. Chales is notorious fr only voting on issues that will benefit him above all others and Michelle is just simply supid. Terrell County looks terrible since the to of them have siezed control. Whatever happened to he progress of the past. It must have died with the last election.I travel away from Sanderson weekly and when I return al I want to do is leave as soon as I get home. I ure miss the old days of progress.The town looked great while udge Smith was in office, now it is dead and Judge Chago can make a decsion for fear he will make someonemad. WOW what a mess

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Secular Humanism VS Christianity 3 min another viewer 177
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 12 min another viewer 665,388
Christians cannot debate with ATHEISTS 16 min Seentheotherside 589
3 Newspapers in Eagle RIver AK 16 min eljay577 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 23 min RiversideRedneck 977,399
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 30 min RiversideRedneck 88,252
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 32 min Pegasus 284,577
More from around the web