Why are many Americans so obsessed with guns?

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

“Listen to the sounds”

Since: Feb 09

of your own extinction......

#1 Dec 19, 2012
The facts:

-Since 1982 there have been at least 62 mass murders with guns in the country

-An investigation by Mother Jones into US mass shootings over the last 30 years found that in 80 per cent of 62 incidents, the guns were obtained legally; while in 11 incidents they were obtained illegally

-In the last 50 years, 15 out of 25 mass shootings took place in the US

-The US has the highest gun ownership per capita in the world – with nine guns for every 10 people in the country

-A study has shown that minors are 13 times more likely to be murdered with guns in the US.

So, why are so many Americans obsessed with owning a gun? Is there some overarching fear in the American atmosphere that people feel unsafe and in need of a gun? Why do you think a gun would make you safer? Why is it that if the government wants to enforce some kind of control, minimum 49% of Americans get all panicked that their rights to being able to kill others are being taken away?

Are you not a nation of laws? The world has passed the stage where everyone needed to walk around with a sword. Why do you seek to bring back that mentality into a 21st century democracy? Have you fallen for the same military propaganda that to be safe one has to have a great arsenal?

These are honest questions. Would anyone answer?
Magazine Smile

Reynoldsburg, OH

#2 Dec 19, 2012
When seconds count the police are only minutes away. What do I do to protect my family between the time I call them and they arrive? Call a "time out"? Serve tea?

“Listen to the sounds”

#3 Dec 19, 2012
Magazine Smile wrote:
When seconds count the police are only minutes away. What do I do to protect my family between the time I call them and they arrive? Call a "time out"? Serve tea?
Do you think you're going to tell robbers "Wait! I'll get my gun from the safe then you can attempt your armed robbery. It'll just take a few seconds!"

I'm from South Africa. One of the crime capitals of the world. People have resorted to getting guns for protection. They get training, they get a gun, and hide it either in a safe, or somewhere away from children. The more obsessed ones get a few guns and hide them at strategic places in the house.

And what happens? When they're asleep, a gang of robbers break in and go straight for them. The robbers beat them and make them show where all the guns are. Their guns are taken away. Many of them have gotten shot with their own guns. And in many cases, people have been attacked BECAUSE they have guns. Robbers attack them specifically to take their guns.

You think you can add on a whole lot of precautions to make yourself safe. But it's no use obsessing over it, because the ultimate fact is, if someone wants to get you, they'll get you. Whether its instantaenous planning, or week or month planning, but they'll get you.
Magazine Smile

Reynoldsburg, OH

#4 Dec 20, 2012
Our weapons are not in a safe. We do not live in SA.
gonond

Pittsburgh, PA

#5 Dec 20, 2012
youtube.com/watch...
Like Hunting and the Craftmansship

“Listen to the sounds”

#6 Dec 20, 2012
Magazine Smile wrote:
Our weapons are not in a safe. We do not live in SA.
So where do Americans generally keep their guns? If its in a far off safety deposit box in a bank vault, then its not going to protect anyone. You can get shot walking in the street or in your own home.

If you keep it at your bedside or with you at all times, maybe it'll do good against a single amateur burglar. If a gang comes with semi-automatics, you're outgunned, and pretty much dead.
Magazine Smile

Reynoldsburg, OH

#7 Dec 20, 2012
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
So where do Americans generally keep their guns? If its in a far off safety deposit box in a bank vault, then its not going to protect anyone. You can get shot walking in the street or in your own home.
If you keep it at your bedside or with you at all times, maybe it'll do good against a single amateur burglar. If a gang comes with semi-automatics, you're outgunned, and pretty much dead.
Again, Ohio is not SA. In nearly all cases it's amateurs looking for something they can sell or trade for drugs.
Say the Truth

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Dec 20, 2012
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
If you keep it at your bedside or with you at all times, maybe it'll do good against a single amateur burglar.

If a gang comes with semi-automatics, you're outgunned, and pretty much dead.
You mean like SWAT teams raiding the wrong address?
Umm

United States

#9 Dec 20, 2012
It's to protect whats yours. I pray no one ever try to kill you because then you would wish you had one. i like they way they look, sound, feel and the power behind guns. i keep some of mine close and i use to sleep with one for many a night. in the hood, first thing a dude want is a gun. atleast dudes like me.

“Listen to the sounds”

#10 Dec 20, 2012
Umm wrote:
It's to protect whats yours. I pray no one ever try to kill you because then you would wish you had one. i like they way they look, sound, feel and the power behind guns. i keep some of mine close and i use to sleep with one for many a night. in the hood, first thing a dude want is a gun. atleast dudes like me.
You had me going, till the third sentence. So, you feel unsafe and your belongings unsecure, so you get a gun. Fair enough, it doesn't make sense in South Africa due to the nature of crimes here, but I guess it makes sense in America, given that most criminals are singular amateurs as another poster pointed out.

But when you indulge in some sort of love affair with a gun, then that is a disturbing problem. Like the way they sound, feel? Like the power behind guns? And then what? When someone pisses you off will you go wielding that power around, just to satisfy your ego?

Perhaps in certain areas, a gun can be seen as a necessary, lesser evil against crime. But if more and more citizens feel the need or desire to own a gun, it also reflects a failure of the system to establish a society bound by law and principles.

Since: Sep 08

#11 Dec 20, 2012
True Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
You had me going, till the third sentence. So, you feel unsafe and your belongings unsecure, so you get a gun. Fair enough, it doesn't make sense in South Africa due to the nature of crimes here, but I guess it makes sense in America, given that most criminals are singular amateurs as another poster pointed out.
But when you indulge in some sort of love affair with a gun, then that is a disturbing problem. Like the way they sound, feel? Like the power behind guns? And then what? When someone pisses you off will you go wielding that power around, just to satisfy your ego?
Perhaps in certain areas, a gun can be seen as a necessary, lesser evil against crime. But if more and more citizens feel the need or desire to own a gun, it also reflects a failure of the system to establish a society bound by law and principles.
Gloop!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 7 min hojo 560,243
Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 11 min Rosa_Winkel 96,841
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 25 min dirty white boy- 605,292
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 29 min Zahid 777,563
real music !!!! 4 r-e-a-l !!! 38 min Doctor REALITY 4
Darüssafaka SIEMENS Derbent Maslak 299 I5 34 ... 42 min saymener 1
( Siemens ) Siemens Ev Aletleri ( 299 I5 34 )... 44 min saymener 1
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 5 hr hpcaban 441,809
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 5 hr YellowPissreality 265,393
More from around the web