Did you know there are wolves in West...

Did you know there are wolves in West Virginia

Posted in the Top Stories Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#1 Mar 17, 2011
I was just wondering how many of you knew about the reinstated wolves into WV. I personally don't want them! I saw one last summer it was a very large red wolfe, and it wasn't to far from my house.
Rhiannon Heartley

Martinsburg, WV

#2 Jul 7, 2012
I think they're better than coyotes. Wolves are peaceful animals and they won't hurt you, unless it's sick or if you do something to him. A coyote will attack for no reason. I've always thought they're were wolves here. I live in Martinsburg, around a wooded area. And me ad my dad have herd howls, and it wasn't a coyote, I know that horrible scream. It sounded like a wolf.
John Mullins

Charleston, WV

#3 Sep 3, 2012
I saw a wolf standing in a field this evening as I was traveling south on I-79 at the Roan county line.
It was just standing there looking and it was maybe 50 yards off the highway.
Dscott

Morgantown, WV

#4 Sep 16, 2012
I've seen 2 in the last few years. The first crossed I-79 in front of me in Braxton County one morning.

The other was killed by a car on I-68 just east of the Sabraton exit. It was intact so I stopped and checked it out. It was one of the most beautiful creatures I have ever seen.
MGreg

Anmoore, WV

#5 Nov 10, 2012
I would prefer that they weren't around here. But you have to take the good with the bad, I assume that the DNR has a good reason for bringing them into the area because a friend saw one with a tag in its ear.
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#6 Nov 10, 2012
Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
21st century Socrates

Columbia, CA

#7 Nov 10, 2012
andet1987 wrote:
Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
Guess just them Virginie Woosies are afraid of those so called wolves.

I never thought the grey wolf or (Canis lupus), actually had any historical native range in the Virginias... so how could they
call it 'reinstating the wolf population'?

Not only that, some of these comments don't sound plausible.

Wolves are rarely to never red colored.
So the person seeing that red colored wolf by itself should also consider that wolves very rarely travel or roam without the pack, and you can hear the bunch yip and howl.

Now despite that fellers decription about coyotes, I have never seen Coyotes attack a person unless they felt cornered or seperated from their kits.
There are a couple of coyote packs that regulary patrol the wild wodded area surrounding my home. Last night I 'howled down' a male coyote with my harmonica. The whole pack was listening.
He couldn't compete once my mojo started working.

Now aqbout those reinstated wolves into WV...why would the Gov do that?
In Montana they reinstated wolves, wich might hav e been sound and nagtural, except.....instaed of the smaller native varity of wolf, the infinit sidowm of DC plante the very lerge ALaskan hybrid wolf. They just about wiper out ietock, withc outnumnbers umanas, in OMatna.
eugene

Martinsburg, WV

#8 Nov 14, 2012
glockchick wrote:
I was just wondering how many of you knew about the reinstated wolves into WV. I personally don't want them! I saw one last summer it was a very large red wolfe, and it wasn't to far from my house.
I was traveling east bound on buck hill road near Inwood,wv on 11-12-12 at around 12:15 a.m. with 2 passengers and saw a wolf cross the road a lightning speed. Black/gray in color at least 150 lbs. and it's body was a least 5.5 to 6 feet long.I contacted the state dnr they said it would not have been a pure breed however they are aware of 3-4 wolf dogs that have been reported on the loose. What I saw would have no problem taking down a full grown adult if needed. Beware if spending any time in the woods I had never seen anything capable of traveling at such speed.It crossed a 2 lane road with about 5 steps.

“ veggies beans berries ”

Since: Nov 12

grapes apples bananas

#9 Nov 14, 2012
glockchick wrote:
I was just wondering how many of you knew about the reinstated wolves into WV. I personally don't want them! I saw one last summer it was a very large red wolfe, and it wasn't to far from my house.
We had a cougar here in town, actually just a couple miles from the ridge park. Got lost probably. The cops treed it and the local paper took pictures. Then they shot it, a sitting duck. The animal control people said that was dumb, that they had the dart gun and were en-route when the cops got tired of waiting. Trigger happy cops, not a comforting thought.
Lorraine Ortiz

Morgantown, WV

#10 Jan 9, 2013
It is just ignorance to see an animal and then assume it is going to "get" you. You're not that special and beside that, truly wild animals will most often AVOID people. Man always destroys that which he does not understand and that includes wild life. Try to educate yourself on the animal before condeming it to death--you do not eat wolves and you don't wear their fur as coats, they are killed out of fear! Want to know why WV has a coyote problem, no wolves. They do not decimate herds, they keep them healthy. Don't be so quick to judge until you educate yourself on the animal and look at the WHOLE picture not just the side that hate them!

Since: Jan 13

Bluefield, WV

#11 Mar 20, 2013
I swear to god if I see a freakin wolf I will shot to kill and not think twice about it I will pay my fine go to jail what ever I aint got time fer no wolves runnin around my haller !!!!!!!!
wolfman

Twinsburg, OH

#12 Mar 27, 2013
scoobygirl wrote:
I swear to god if I see a freakin wolf I will shot to kill and not think twice about it I will pay my fine go to jail what ever I aint got time fer no wolves runnin around my haller !!!!!!!!
Is swear to god u are a freakin idiot. When's the last time you've heard of an unprovoked wolf attack one someone. People are a lot more dangerous than wolves so are u gonna shoot to kill when u see someone u don't know too? And there's a reason they are illegal to kill...ignorant idiots like you scoobygirl!!!!
wolfman

Twinsburg, OH

#13 Mar 27, 2013
I have an idea. We should kill every animal In the world that could possibly harm us instead of leaving them be in there natural habitat! Not! If there were less people like scoobygirl then maybe we would have more room for endangered animals like the timber wolf!
Oneoffz33

Morgantown, WV

#14 Apr 19, 2013
Scoobygirl should never own a gun. It's ignorant idiots like her that give gun owners a bad name. Ooooo look a wild animal lets shoot it!!! Jackass
Cisco Kid

Modesto, CA

#15 Apr 19, 2013
wolfman wrote:
I have an idea. We should kill every animal In the world that could possibly harm us instead of leaving them be in there natural habitat!
That's why the government makes Zoos!
Then if we isolated all the animals we could be safe,,.....except for crazy humans.
wolfman wrote:
Not! If there were less people like scoobygirl then maybe we would have more room for endangered animals like the timber wolf!
Coyotes and rattlesnakes and bears share my habitat.

Rattlesnakes are cool until they enter my space, then I dice em up with a shovel or shotgun.

Coyotes are a nice background sound at night.
We coexist except for once in awhile a coyote wants a new born calf.
The Coyote loses.

Usually when the pack starts getting bold around foaling time I kill the alpha male and hang his carcus on a pasture fence post.
That seems to get the message across.
crystal

United States

#16 May 18, 2013
Has anyone seen any lately around mon county i think grandma has a mountain lion or a coyte or a wolf that is living around her house and she has 2 dogs...
andet1987

Chicago, IL

#17 May 19, 2013
I saw the wolves at the Lincoln Park Zoo a year ago or two. They look like a dog. Their size is just like a normal size dog.

One time an ambulance siren was passing by and making a sound. they also imitated the sound. People were amused at what they saw.
Patrick Vilone

Fairmont, WV

#18 Jul 15, 2013
I live in Marion County (Fairmont) and one night about a year ago now. I was sitting in my Jeep by Tygart Valley River, it's 1am and I had to pee so I turned on my lights and lone behold there was 2 wolves chillin 10 feet in front of my car. Needless to say I didn't get out and pee. I promptly left lmao.
Wicked

Beckley, WV

#19 Aug 13, 2013
I have lived in WV my entire life, and have known of any wolves. We do have coyote's, however I have never really known them to be a nuisance. I personally find the idea of wolves being introduced here intriguing, I like wolves.

As for Scoobygirl, I believe this person was simply being a smart ass...probably doesn't even live in WV because people simply don't act that ignorant. I agree with Wolf man as to leave the animals to their natural environment, they have a right to be and it isn't their fault that humans keep destroying the forests that provides homes for these creature's which is driving them into people's back yards.
CORRECTING STUPID IS FUN

Clarksburg, WV

#20 Sep 9, 2013
21st century Socrates wrote:
<quoted text>
Guess just them Virginie Woosies are afraid of those so called wolves.
I never thought the grey wolf or (Canis lupus), actually had any historical native range in the Virginias... so how could they
call it 'reinstating the wolf population'?
Not only that, some of these comments don't sound plausible.
Wolves are rarely to never red colored.
So the person seeing that red colored wolf by itself should also consider that wolves very rarely travel or roam without the pack, and you can hear the bunch yip and howl.
Now despite that fellers decription about coyotes, I have never seen Coyotes attack a person unless they felt cornered or seperated from their kits.
There are a couple of coyote packs that regulary patrol the wild wodded area surrounding my home. Last night I 'howled down' a male coyote with my harmonica. The whole pack was listening.
He couldn't compete once my mojo started working.
Now aqbout those reinstated wolves into WV...why would the Gov do that?
In Montana they reinstated wolves, wich might hav e been sound and nagtural, except.....instaed of the smaller native varity of wolf, the infinit sidowm of DC plante the very lerge ALaskan hybrid wolf. They just about wiper out ietock, withc outnumnbers umanas, in OMatna.
Well being uneducated although not a crime, should be, but you can't fix stupid. Yes if you were smart enough to check WV's DNR website they have such information, stating that the wolf is native to WV, and the last one reportedly killed in WV, was in 1900, if you know how to read, you obviously don't know how to spell, so I can understand your ignorance. Hopefully someone reads this, and finds that the WV stereotypes out there are dead wrong and need to read where your from. THEY CONCEAL INFORMATION LIKE THIS IN THINGS CALLED BOOKS.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 10 min Catcher1 56,273
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 19 min andet1987 2,300
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 24 min RoSesz 649,855
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr brandy trujillo 972,403
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 1 hr Aussie Kev 106,056
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Brian_G 281,474
Israel End is Near (Feb '15) 2 hr Brian_G 428
my cousin touches me when i am asleep and i kin... (Mar '14) 5 hr Jesus 47
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Fri Noname 69
More from around the web