Obama Offends Catholics
Tony

Anaheim, CA

#1 Jun 20, 2013
Obama offends Catholics in the UK, says religious schools are divisive

June 19, 2013

The Catholic media is up in arms over comments President Obama made during a speech while in Northern Ireland for the G8 summit. Obama made what is described as “an alarming call for an end to Catholic education,” in spite of the fact that it is considered “a critical component of the Church.”

In front of an audience of about 2,000 young people, including many Catholics, Obama claimed that Catholic education divides people and blocks peace, according to the Scottish Catholic Observer.

“If towns remain divided—if Catholics have their schools and buildings and Protestants have theirs, if we can’t see ourselves in one another and fear or resentment are allowed to harden—that too encourages division and discourages cooperation,” Obama said.

Catholic World News noted:

Ironically, President Obama made his comments just as Archbishop Gerhard Müller, the prefect of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, told a crowd in Scotland that religious education upholds the dignity of the human person. Archbishop Müller said that Catholic schools should promote “all that is good in the philosophies of societies and human culture.”

Fr. John Zuhlsdorf quoted the Observer’s article on Fr. Z’s blog and added:

Another example of what this man wants: total isolation of any religious values in the private sphere alone. Pres. Obama is working either to intimidate or legislate or even TAX religious freedom out of the public square.

Off the top of my head, I can’t think of a foreign visit to a Islamic nation where he told people on his arrival that they shouldn’t have madrasas. Can you?

Did he when visiting, say, Israel, say “You Jews shouldn’t have synagogue schools and you muslims shouldn’t have mosque schools.” I can’t remember. Did he?

Each of the articles drew numerous public comments, most suggesting that Obama be more concerned about the public schools in the United States than their parochial schools, which are working just fine.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/06/19/obama-...
Tony

Anaheim, CA

#2 Jun 20, 2013
Here is a link in regard to the Malvinas Islands...

http://www.topix.com/forum/com/wpo/TGQS24J9E2...

The Rock of Gibraltar, and Northern Ireland, are also discussed.

Salute,

Tony V.
PDX Dave

Portland, OR

#4 Jun 20, 2013
Well I'm sorry, but I think the POTUS is right – any parochial school is divisive to society, just as any church is basically. It creates an "us and them" mentality which is only human nature and can't be avoided. He didn't say there was anything wrong with parochial schools, simply that they are divisive, and I believe that the truth. And the idea that Catholics really aren't that difficult to offend, well I admit that's a personal opinion but there it is.
Tony

Mission Viejo, CA

#5 Jun 20, 2013
PDX Dave wrote:
Well I'm sorry, but I think the POTUS is right – any parochial school is divisive to society, just as any church is basically. It creates an "us and them" mentality which is only human nature and can't be avoided. He didn't say there was anything wrong with parochial schools, simply that they are divisive, and I believe that the truth. And the idea that Catholics really aren't that difficult to offend, well I admit that's a personal opinion but there it is.
Obama offends me. And he attacks Catholics, but not the Muslims, etc.

Of note, some of the best and brightest people have attended Catholic schools!
Tony

Mission Viejo, CA

#6 Jun 20, 2013
The University of Notre Dame is one of the finest universities in the world.
Cisco Kid

Clements, CA

#7 Jun 20, 2013
PDX Dave wrote:
Obama is never right and always the most divisive president ever elected.

Today the American Catholics for Religious Freedom fired back on President Obama’s words to 2,000 young people at the G8 Summit, stating,
“President Obama’s anti-faith, secular agenda was shamefully on full display yesterday when he told the young people of Northern Ireland that Catholic education and other faith-based schools were divisive and an obstacle to peace. All Americans of faith should be outraged by these comments which clearly telegraph the President’s belief system and are in fact at their core even anti-American.”

American Catholics for Religious Freedom points out that the media has completely ignored the story, and adds,“Secular progressives like President Obama ignore the truth that faith-based education is a component of the Religious Freedom guaranteed by the Constitution. He can’t bear the thought that Catholic and parochial schools not only teach important values but consistently produce better educational results at lower cost than America’s failing public schools.
The President’s troubling values are showing here in a way that demonstrate just how dangerous this Administration is and how committed it is to eroding the rights of all people of faith.”

And, they note, this is the same President who has attempted to cram down anti-Catholic doctrine via Obamacare.

“It’s time Americans stood up for Religious Freedom, for the U.S. Constitution and against President Obama’s radical views about the place of faith in American life,” the group concludes.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2013/...
Tony

Mission Viejo, CA

#8 Jun 20, 2013
There are over one billion Roman Catholics.
Cisco Kid

Clements, CA

#9 Jun 20, 2013
Tony wrote:
There are over one billion Roman Catholics.
And all U.S. Catholics of age vote.
conservative crapola

Whitehall, PA

#10 Jun 21, 2013
Reuters/Ipsos exit polling found that 51 percent of Catholics favored President Barack Obama, compared with 48 percent for Republican contender Mitt Romney.

hahahahahahahahaha

Useless, trible thumper whining, since he can't run again.
Tony

Mission Viejo, CA

#11 Jun 21, 2013
Who do you think should run for President in 2016 for the Republican Party?

I like Rudy Giuliani, and Newt Gingrich, but they are getting old, although people who are old and wise make great leaders, and Ronald Reagan was great. Another idea is Marco Rubio, although Marco would be great as a Vice President.

Any ideas?
Cisco Kid

Clements, CA

#12 Jun 21, 2013
Tony wrote:
Who do you think should run for President in 2016 for the Republican Party?
I like Rudy Giuliani, and Newt Gingrich, but they are getting old, although people who are old and wise make great leaders, and Ronald Reagan was great. Another idea is Marco Rubio, although Marco would be great as a Vice President.
Any ideas?
Paul Ryan for president.
Lately Marco Rubio has proved he's too easily misled.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 3 min Rednek 80,121
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min kent 701,570
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 35 min Sammy 995,782
Why I’m no longer a Christian (Jul '08) 43 min Big Al 448,401
I'm ON BOARD: James Harden for NBA MVP 1 hr Doctor REALITY 2
Why does Draymond Green act like such a BLEEP! ... 1 hr Doctor REALITY 10
Judas Iscariot and Mark Fuhrman 1 hr Doctor REALITY 44