Why I’m no longer a Christian
foothillbilly

Mount Vernon, OH

#469933 Oct 31, 2014
King Tutankhamun wrote:
<quoted text>
I understand.
But I do recommend assuming an alter ego here.
Just a suggestion.
Regardless, welcome.
I guess I was not direct enough about not being able to cope with Topix. I had no idea when I came here that my full name would be used, and I have no idea how to change that. I'm willing to come here every few months, not every few hours or days. In any case, I'm not as open to attack as some others, and I don't take words personally.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#469934 Oct 31, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Talk to God all the time, and believers will love you for it.
Talk to Him through your hair dryer, and you'll be committed.
I fail to see how the addition of a hair dryer makes it any more insane.
we were created to be bonded with God in spirit.

if you don't want that, i hope you don't mind the idea of being in solitary confinement for eternity!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#469935 Oct 31, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Bollocks.
No religion has ever survived the two words "Prove It".
i express my freedoms of speech and religion and by opposing them, you're making choices that you'll live with for your entire exsistence, however long that turns out to be...
mike

AOL

#469936 Oct 31, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"Have you spoken to anyone in eternity ?"
YES - i speak with my eternal God all the time!
btw - you ARE on the sinking ship and i'm throwing you a life preserver, but you ain't making it any too easy for me:-)
Funny !

Thanks

GOD ain't real !

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#469937 Oct 31, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
Talk to your hair dryer and you'll be committed...

Horse Hockey!

You'll have to do better than that for an example. No one is committed for muttering to themselves or hair-dryer. You may get looked at strangely, but unless you become a direct threat to yourself or others you will never be committed.

The streets are full of disturbed people muttering to nothing... some even call what they mutter into cell phones and behind the ear headsets.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#469938 Oct 31, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Bollocks.
No religion has ever survived the two words "Prove It".
You see now that is wrong. In fact the Bible has been found to extremely accurate even as a historical document and Christ and His miracles have found to be documented well outside of the Bible.

Rome took a great interest in him and it has been proven the Gospels would stand up as evidence in a court of law 2,000 years later as a validated affidavit of ancient events.

The crucifixion itself was scoffed at by non-believers who claimed no one was crucified as described until they found the human remains still containing a nailed used exactly as described.

Sodom and Gomorrah were said to not be places until found -- actually the cities they now call Sodom and Gomorrah aren't the actual cities but were built after the destruction of the two -- as the Bible said after its destruction the eastern 3rd of the Dead Sea was poured over them to conceal them from all man kind and YES, THE ARCHEOLOGIST KNOWS THERE ARE TWO CITIES where the scriptures say they should be (in the plains and not on a hill) beneath the sticky salt in the far eastern 1/3 of the Dead Sea... but because of the soupy salt brine they can't excavate and they remain concealed, but artifacts showing the cities are there are brought up via dredging machines during salt extraction ..

Anyhow, I FIND IT ODD... VERY ODD that C14 dating only can be done only on objects that are no older than 5,600 years old...

Science claims because it is the half life of C-14 and it peters out... REALLY?... if only half of the C-14 is gone why can't they test the remaining half? Could it be because the Bible says life only goes back about 6,000 years and there isn't anything organic beyond that? It's a rather odd coincidence ...

Now you will claim the world is billions of years old..

Perhaps, but now here comes your same TEST... Which can't pass the test you assert on religion either... PROVE IT ...

It can't be done ... because it is BASED ONLY ON THE THEORY OF STRATIFICATION ... and a theory is not in itself fact ... and stratification is highly flawed ... lol...

Next PROVE EVOLUTION ... it too is a theory ... with no fossil record to support it ... PERIOD!

Mathematically speaking evolution is not possible for one organism to survive the hundreds of thousands mutations needed to become something else as mutations almost always kills the host.

According to Occam's razor (a method used by everyone from detectives, to doctors attempting to diagnosis an illness to scientist attempting to find a solution) the simplest answer is often the correct answer or truth...

God is the simplest answer.

“SPEBSQSA”

Since: Aug 08

Maryland

#469939 Oct 31, 2014
gimpyolman wrote:
<quoted text>
You see now that is wrong. In fact the Bible has been found to extremely accurate even as a historical document and Christ and His miracles have found to be documented well outside of the Bible.
Rome took a great interest in him and it has been proven the Gospels would stand up as evidence in a court of law 2,000 years later as a validated affidavit of ancient events.
The crucifixion itself was scoffed at by non-believers who claimed no one was crucified as described until they found the human remains still containing a nailed used exactly as described.
Sodom and Gomorrah were said to not be places until found -- actually the cities they now call Sodom and Gomorrah aren't the actual cities but were built after the destruction of the two -- as the Bible said after its destruction the eastern 3rd of the Dead Sea was poured over them to conceal them from all man kind and YES, THE ARCHEOLOGIST KNOWS THERE ARE TWO CITIES where the scriptures say they should be (in the plains and not on a hill) beneath the sticky salt in the far eastern 1/3 of the Dead Sea... but because of the soupy salt brine they can't excavate and they remain concealed, but artifacts showing the cities are there are brought up via dredging machines during salt extraction ..
Anyhow, I FIND IT ODD... VERY ODD that C14 dating only can be done only on objects that are no older than 5,600 years old...
Science claims because it is the half life of C-14 and it peters out... REALLY?... if only half of the C-14 is gone why can't they test the remaining half? Could it be because the Bible says life only goes back about 6,000 years and there isn't anything organic beyond that? It's a rather odd coincidence ...
Perhaps, but now here comes your same TEST... Which can't pass the test you assert on religion either... PROVE IT ...
It can't be done ... because it is BASED ONLY ON THE THEORY OF STRATIFICATION ... and a theory is not in itself fact ... and stratification is highly flawed ... lol...
Next PROVE EVOLUTION ... it too is a theory ... with no fossil record to support it ... PERIOD!
Mathematically speaking evolution is not possible for one organism to survive the hundreds of thousands mutations needed to become something else as mutations almost always kills the host.
According to Occam's razor (a method used by everyone from detectives, to doctors attempting to diagnosis an illness to scientist attempting to find a solution) the simplest answer is often the correct answer or truth...
One or two questions here...
Which "god" being are you talking about? Your god or the god of islam or the god of the jews or one of the 30,000 plus different god beings of the fragmented christian religion?

Also, just to use a current example, the ebola virus strain has already evolved and/or mutated over 300 times and it continues to do so. This is one reason it is going to be very hard to find a cure or vaccination to treat or prevent it.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health...

Please stop making silly, uneducated, unproven comments that only serve to show you only have information given to you at your last bibull study gathering.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#469940 Oct 31, 2014
mike wrote:
<quoted text> Funny !
Thanks
GOD ain't real !
that's your own personal prerogative but you don't speak for us all;-)

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#469941 Oct 31, 2014
macumazahn wrote:
That's because only SATAN speaks using hair dryers!

God speaks using toasters, blenders, contact grills and, occasionally, refrigerators. Also, He used to use TVs, but that stopped with HDTV taking over broadcast, since He is not on cable.

#469942 Oct 31, 2014
So many errors, so little room to correct them all
Part 1 of several...
gimpyolman wrote:
<quoted text>
No, there is no documentation of ANY of the events connected to Jesus to be found anywhere outside the Gospels or other early xian writing. There are a couple of references to the existence of xians, of believers in Jesus, but that is irrelevant. No one disputes that people began to believe that Jesus was something special.
gimpyolman wrote:
BS. Nobody has denied that the Roman executed their criminals with crucifixion.
gimpyolman wrote:
And the reality is that archaeologist found those ruins and some Bible believer decided to call them Sodom & Gomorrah because they thought that it lined up with their own expectations of the Bible.
gimpyolman wrote:
Wrong. Stupidly so, too, since even a tiny bit of research would show that C14 dating is used for dating material going back 50,000 years, accurately. The accuracy drops off if you try to go much farther into the past.
gimpyolman wrote:
Yet more profoundly ignorant babble. The truth is that there are several methods used to determine the dates of very old rocks. Radioactive decay occurs at a steady rate, and gives off known decay products. By measuring the amount of a radioactive substance and comparing that to the ratio of decay products present, you can easily determine the ages of rock billions of years old.

Also, when a scientist uses the term "theory" it means "here is something that explains all of the data we currently have, and NONE of our current information contradicts it in any way."

Continued in part 2...

#469943 Oct 31, 2014
Part 2

gimpyolman wrote:
Except... WRONG.

There are thousands of fossils that support evolution, with none contradicting it. Evolution is a theory (as in: proven over and over again) because EVERY line of evidence found supports it fully and completely, and there had never been found any evidence that contradicts it.
gimpyolman wrote:
The answer for the simple minded, perhaps. For those willing to ignore all of the evidence that shows them to be wrong.

#469944 Oct 31, 2014
gimpyolman wrote:
<quoted text>
What is even more fun (for me, at least) is that if you really want to talk about "proof", then the Bible itself proves that Jesus is a false god and that it is impossible for him to have been any of the things that xians claim.

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#469945 Oct 31, 2014
gimpyolman wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets start with just dating. If you can real anthing other than a bible that is, you could start here.

http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/152...

“The Bible is no science book”

Since: Jan 08

Location hidden

#469946 Oct 31, 2014
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because only SATAN speaks using hair dryers!
God speaks using toasters, blenders, contact grills and, occasionally, refrigerators. Also, He used to use TVs, but that stopped with HDTV taking over broadcast, since He is not on cable.
Darn, I always thought it was because of the televangelists. My bad.
mike

AOL

#469947 Oct 31, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
that's your own personal prerogative but you don't speak for us all;-)
Funny coming from someone whose thoughts are " Prescribed "

" Don't speak for -Us -All " !,...I'm not speaking for anyone but me .

I don't give false hope , I'm not into " Testimonies ".
Otto Von Hapsburg

Regina, Canada

#469948 Nov 1, 2014
" and if there is a god I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt him".

Bertrand Russell

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#469949 Nov 1, 2014
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.
Your devotion to Old Testament fables is truly inspirational.

Yet even love like yours falls short of that shown by the Oklahoma Christian who killed some guy by trying to decapitate him.

Not much difference between that Christian and members of ISIS

Cambridge, UK

#469951 Nov 1, 2014
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,
24 Which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi, which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Janna, which was the son of Joseph,
25 Which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Amos, which was the son of Naum, which was the son of Esli, which was the son of Nagge,
26 Which was the son of Maath, which was the son of Mattathias, which was the son of Semei, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Juda,
27 Which was the son of Joanna, which was the son of Rhesa, which was the son of Zorobabel, which was the son of Salathiel, which was the son of Neri,
28 Which was the son of Melchi, which was the son of Addi, which was the son of Cosam, which was the son of Elmodam, which was the son of Er,
29 Which was the son of Jose, which was the son of Eliezer, which was the son of Jorim, which was the son of Matthat, which was the son of Levi,
30 Which was the son of Simeon, which was the son of Juda, which was the son of Joseph, which was the son of Jonan, which was the son of Eliakim,
31 Which was the son of Melea, which was the son of Menan, which was the son of Mattatha, which was the son of Nathan, which was the son of David,
32 Which was the son of Jesse, which was the son of Obed, which was the son of Booz, which was the son of Salmon, which was the son of Naasson,
33 Which was the son of Aminadab, which was the son of Aram, which was the son of Esrom, which was the son of Phares, which was the son of Juda,
34 Which was the son of Jacob, which was the son of Isaac, which was the son of Abraham, which was the son of Thara, which was the son of Nachor,
35 Which was the son of Saruch, which was the son of Ragau, which was the son of Phalec, which was the son of Heber, which was the son of Sala,
36 Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,
37 Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan,
38 Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God.
Adam was the son of God?

You never told me that Jesus had a big brother.

Cambridge, UK

#469952 Nov 1, 2014
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text> The entire 6500 years of man's existence on earth, beginning with A&E.
If you like, you can tell me that the moon is made of cheese.

It still doesn't make it true.

Cambridge, UK

#469953 Nov 1, 2014
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
I too prefer the truth.
Genealogies set forth in the Bible may not account for exactly 6500 years. Many names of persons who were born in those lineages are not mentioned. If you wish to believe that mankind has existed on earth for 60,000 years or 6 million years, that is your prerogative. You have no exact method of determining the time frame. Neither do I. I lean towards a much younger age for Earth. I lean towards a quick and expeditious time frame for the creation of earth, actually less than a week in real time.
This is my opinion, born of my belief. In that you are correct.
And if you'd been born in Saudi Arabia, your beliefs would be rooted firmly in the Quran.

Likewise, if you had been born in India you'd probably singing the praises of Shiva.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min kent 649,826
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 6 min VIKING 56,046
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 27 min onemale 281,473
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Ooogah Boogah 972,385
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 3 hr Ricky F 39,053
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 4 hr Flower-Child 53,840
how long after taking the Vivitrol shot can i f... (Nov '12) 4 hr Danielle 171
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) Fri Noname 69
More from around the web