Why I’m no longer a Christian

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#469977 Nov 3, 2014
Bill Scudder wrote:
<quoted text> .
The Gospel is the only thing that can give you the faith to be saved. Not books on science, theories, history etc.
Please post your citation that has "God" stating this. Please remember - men wrote the Bible, and not "God".

Thanks!

Albuquerque, NM

#469978 Nov 3, 2014
Bill Scudder wrote:

The Gospel is the only thing that can give you the faith to be saved. Not books on science, theories, history etc.
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Saved?
Saved from what?
From poverty?
From tyranny?
Or from the imagined wrath of whatever god you've chosen to worship?
This being the god whom you believe wants to torture people.
What it is really unbecoming how that poster - who probably hadn't research "religion" enough to make certain comments - actually think a religion can "save" someone and then expresses it in a sense as if they actually know this to be true.

Only a person can "save" themselves.

Albuquerque, NM

#469979 Nov 3, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
AND ...if you hang around YMCA locker rooms, chances are you'll do the gay thing
...and start singing Village People songs?

Albuquerque, NM

#469980 Nov 3, 2014
Bill Scudder wrote:
<quoted text>
There is more evidence for the credibility of the Bible then there is for evolution or that man existed for 60 million years.
Then post it. I disagree.

Since: Jul 11

Rochester, NY

#469981 Nov 3, 2014
Khatru wrote:
Thank you for the information!

Rochester, NY

#469982 Nov 3, 2014
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Please post your citation that has "God" stating this. Please remember - men wrote the Bible, and not "God".
Thanks!
Holy men of God were inspired to write, right?

Rochester, NY

#469986 Nov 3, 2014
Dally Mama wrote:
Why I am no longer a christian.
Part 1.
Ok, to be fair, I was never much of a christian anyway. I often wondered why, I had a lot of whys actually, maybe that was why, my pesky curiosity.
Why didn't prayer work? Not just for me but for anybody.
Why weren't other christians joyful?
Why didn't preachers ever want to answer my questions?
Why did christianity resemble a pyramid scheme?
Why was history ignored in lieu of apologetics?
Why was the bible a singular source and in some instances and churches, only one translation was encouraged?
Why couldn't we discuss the missing books? There are a few you know, I knew this because I'd read much older bibles in my childhood than the ones generally available now. They included Enoch, I knew the full stories about the 'Angels' from the age of 4.
Why were logical questions met with "you just have to trust god", every single fcucking time?
Why was I called a daemon for asking questions? I mean, if this "god" character made me and loved me, one of 'his' precious children, the way I am, why would my natural born curiosity, make me a daemon?
Why are so many children abused at the hands of christianity?
Why are so many women abused and demonised at the hands of christianity?
Why have so many people been murdered at the hands of christianity?
Why do christians lie so much, even to themselves?
I know why, it's because it is bullshite indoctrination. The lot of it.
The christian cult, is not only a brainwashing deceptive cult but it is the biggest, most pervasive and viral brainwashing deceptive cult in the history of mankind. Bloody hell, they even demonise thought and glorify the concept of humans being cattle.
AND THEY MAKE BILLIONS OF DOLLARS DOING IT.
Humans are magnificent and divine. Because of christianity, this fact has been not only forgotten by the masses but practically obliterated.
I've been sucked into many many religions in my multiple lives in one and basically think they're all hokum, blarney and pure bullshite but christianity takes the cake and like the others, much as I tried and really wanted to believe in something higher and nobler than the destruction of humanity, it did not take.
I can talk to my self just fine without believing in invisible fictional characters.
Admittedly, I wasn't much of a christian, I was kind, well read, inquisitive, skeptical, honest and mostly laughing, especially when away from other christians, but why am I no longer a christian?
I don't like being lied to and I am not cattle, additionally, I was never comfortable with the notion of believing fictional characters to be real and honestly, Buffy would be a much better deity.
To be continued…
©©
“People say they love truth, but in reality they want to believe that which they love is true.”
- Robert J Ringer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =TG8hpFw5PuIXX&list=RD51s9 BqmvpOc&index=4
I feel bad you feel bad and I am sorry for such lies and deception you experienced thus far. As a carbon - based unit (I do like using this term because it leaves out gender) goes, a relationship with God is so similar to one with our parents (theoretically, we know there are extremes). I am just saying this thing with God is is close as your thoughts are to you. I know my life (the life in my mind) needs work, but at this point, I come to conclude if a prayer is not answered, then God must have something better. It is like this: there are only five ways to get information to our mind and there is another realm manipulating the external environment. Thus, it is important what we "feed" our minds. You follow?

Since: Apr 08

Cambridge, UK

#469987 Nov 3, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
AND ...if you hang around YMCA locker rooms, chances are you'll do the gay thing
Speak for yourself

Cambridge, UK

#469988 Nov 3, 2014
Bill Scudder wrote:
<quoted text>
There is more evidence for the credibility of the Bible then there is for evolution or that man existed for 60 million years.
You never answered my last question.

Perhaps you should deal with that first?

Once you've done that we'll talk about your imagined biblical credibility.

Cambridge, UK

#469989 Nov 3, 2014
Sid Hawkes wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the information!
You're welcome!

“It's Time. . .”

Since: Jun 13

New Holland

#469990 Nov 4, 2014
<quoted text>
...and start singing Village People songs?
That one reminds me of the dirty version of In The Navy, that we used to sing @ school.
:-)

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#469991 Nov 4, 2014
mike wrote:
<quoted text> Funny !
You came to this site on your own , therefore , you get what you get .
You should try being more responsible for your own behavior , and stop thinking there is some " Holy-Spirit " to correct you .
I'm much too concerned about this life , to be hoping for an afterlife , don't be sacred ,...live man .
here's the deal:

1) i'm not saying these things for my sake, but for yours
2) the only responsible thing fallen man can do about our sins/behaviors is to receive God's Savior
3) i was a very lost & aimless soul, riddled with anxiety and addictions before i got born-again and now i'm not
mike

AOL

#469992 Nov 4, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
here's the deal:
1) i'm not saying these things for my sake, but for yours
2) the only responsible thing fallen man can do about our sins/behaviors is to receive God's Savior
3) i was a very lost & aimless soul, riddled with anxiety and addictions before i got born-again and now i'm not
Thanks

It looks as though you've replaced one addiction for another ,....you do realize where you are right ?
You don't seem to be spending much time with your GOD ,..unless of course , GOD is in your mind , and is always with you .

In order for the " Brainwashing " to take , I need to be sedated , why won't you share the good stuff ?

Stingy !

Albuquerque, NM

#469993 Nov 4, 2014

Thanks!
Sid Hawkes wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't agree with this, but I do agree that only certain men "were able to approve" who was inspired and who wasn't....OR....more pointedly - which text is inspired and which text was not.

This is the semantic that blows Christianity out of the water.....men deciding who and what are inspired, when it is very likely that those decisions were made to control how people live, believe, act, and various other things.

Why should anyone believe that a certain person is more holier than another?
- Who is to say the Dali Lama is not holy, but a dead saint is?
- Who has the ability to determine how holy a god is, when all gods have never been seen by humans, except in stories?
- Where does "God" specifically state which texts are of "His inspiration" and which are not?
- Who determines what is heresy and what is not?

Those are the questions that are always swept under the rug, just so people can go on believing the fallacies that have been told to them.

How honest can you be?

Self.

Thanks for responding.

Albuquerque, NM

#469994 Nov 4, 2014
Sid Hawkes wrote:
<quoted text>
To take this question even a further step.....

Who is to say that "God" isn't inspiring anyone else in this modern day, thus, why couldn't those texts be just as worthy?

Did "God" stop inspiring people after the canon was finally decided in 692 CE?

"For the Orthodox, the recognition of these writings as authoritative was formalized in the Second Council of Trullan of 692, although it was nearly universally accepted in the mid 300s.[1] "
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Development_of_t...

Why did it take 650 years to determine the divinity of Jesus, or even what books are more holier than others?

How come men place men in such high regards when determining "God" authority? Can't "God" do this "Himself" - or is "He" so limited, that "He" required men to fulfill this atonement?

There are just too many inconsistencies in the history to allow the truth to be finalized yet.

Cheers.

Albuquerque, NM

#469995 Nov 4, 2014
Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That one reminds me of the dirty version of In The Navy, that we used to sing @ school.
:-)
There is a "rasta record" (spoof) of a Village People song? I never knew.....

Do you have a link?

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#469996 Nov 4, 2014
mike wrote:
<quoted text> Thanks
It looks as though you've replaced one addiction for another ,....you do realize where you are right ?
You don't seem to be spending much time with your GOD ,..unless of course , GOD is in your mind , and is always with you .
In order for the " Brainwashing " to take , I need to be sedated , why won't you share the good stuff ?
Stingy !
whatever Mike; i try to get along and share the Good News as much as possible, but i don't take no shit either, as you can see by the way i talk to some other folks who blaspheme & disrespect me

Cambridge, UK

#469997 Nov 4, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
whatever Mike; i try to get along and share the Good News as much as possible, but i don't take no shit either, as you can see by the way i talk to some other folks who blaspheme & disrespect me
Yet you are also a blasphemer so that's the pot calling the kettle black.

As for being disrespectful, perhaps you should tear out those passages of the Bible that refer to unbelievers as fools. That's pretty disrespectful.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#469998 Nov 4, 2014
Khatru wrote:
<quoted text>
Yet you are also a blasphemer so that's the pot calling the kettle black.
As for being disrespectful, perhaps you should tear out those passages of the Bible that refer to unbelievers as fools. That's pretty disrespectful.
our choice in the matter is not to be an unbeliever/fool, NOT to take away from the eternally truthful Word of God:-)

Cambridge, UK

#469999 Nov 4, 2014
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
our choice in the matter is not to be an unbeliever/fool, NOT to take away from the eternally truthful Word of God:-)
Yet freedom of religion is a basic human right denied to many.

You would call people who opt for a different religion to yours "fools"?

Isn't that being disrespectful? I thought you didn't like people who were disrespectful.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 43 min Ms Sassy 31,236
Little Jojo 51 min KoKos Sassy 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 1 hr Rosesz 687,346
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 2 hr dotard tracker 987,376
Why Won't The Government Help Against Select Po... (Aug '12) 2 hr Frustrated 268
Most Criminals Are DEMOCRATS! 6 hr Jimmy D Cricket 2
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 7 hr Not Govt Controll... 286,595
More from around the web