Why I’m no longer a Christian
duststorm

League City, TX

#466890 Oct 2, 2013
European Aussie wrote:
<quoted text>
The (Catholic) bible on loosing faith:
By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises was in the act of offering up his only son...
http://carm.org/bible-difficulties/genesis-de...
Dearth...hey, Dear--erth. There's a guy here asking about "loosing" faith. Can you pick up?
duststorm

League City, TX

#466891 Oct 4, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the WHOLE passage IN CONTEXT:
2 Kings 6:18 And when they came down to him, Elisha prayed unto the LORD, and said, Smite this people, I pray thee, with blindness. And he smote them with blindness according to the word of Elisha.
6:20 And it came to pass, when they were come into Samaria, that Elisha said, LORD, open the eyes of these men, that they may see. And the LORD opened their eyes, and they saw; and, behold, they were in the midst of Samaria.
Elisha healed the whole host. GoJohn HAD to claim that Jesus healed someone "born" blind, GoJohn was attempting to create a false Messiah out of an itinerant preacher.
God smote all the men of Sodom with blindness as they attempted to beat on Lot's door and break in and commit abomination with the two male messengers. They were not blind from birth.
duststorm

League City, TX

#466892 Oct 4, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
But you don't believe these.
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlalpha.html
Why not?
<quoted text>
Okay - but it still doesn't answer why you don't believe these texts like you do with the canon.
You said Okay to the concept that you are without end.
duststorm

League City, TX

#466893 Oct 4, 2013
<quoted text>
What? No actual statement by Jesus?
I asked for a specific statement made by Jesus. You can provide this, right?
27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:
28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.
29 My Father, which gave them me, is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.
30 I and my Father are one.
duststorm

League City, TX

#466894 Oct 4, 2013
But you don't believe these.
http://www.gnosis.org/naghamm/nhlalpha.html
Why not?
Okay - but it still doesn't answer why you don't believe these texts like you do with the canon.
<quoted text>
They aren't? Oh snap!! Clearly you know which texts are and which are not, otherwise, you wouldn't have stated this.
Please post the passage(s) that states which texts are "true scriptures" and which are not. You can do this, right?
How 'bout something easier. Please post the statement by "God" which clearly has "God" dictating which texts are "of His inspiration" and which are not.
There - you now have two different angles to show me and correct me to what "God" wants me to believe.
Tell ya what duststorm....if you cannot do this request, please don't hide and run away, but come back and state openly that you can't. In the least it will show you actually attempted to prove your religion to be accurate.
I'll wait.
2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
duststorm

League City, TX

#466895 Oct 4, 2013
Two Greek words: Theos-nuestas=inspired=God-bre athed. All scripture is God-breathed.
duststorm

League City, TX

#466896 Oct 4, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course. They were right, IF Jesus ever tried to pretend that he was somehow equal to the God of the Bible, it would have been blasphemy, a sin worthy of stoning.
However, that is not what happened. That was invented later, by the authors who were trying to spread their religion in Rome, so they could not tell the truth and make the Romans look bad. Rather, since the Temple had already been destroyed, making the Jews the scapegoat for the death of Jesus, the authors could suck up to Rome.
The myth of Jesus being "the" Son of God, or even a god himself, was a later addition, not invented until long after Jesus was rotted in his grave.
With this post you have committed the unpardonable sin.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#466897 Oct 4, 2013
duststorm wrote:
Two Greek words: Theos-nuestas=inspired=God-bre athed. All scripture is God-breathed.
That's the claim, Dusty.

It's not evidence.

It's certainly not proof.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#466899 Oct 4, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
You said Okay to the concept that you are without end.
...and you still haven't answered the questions I asked.

Please stop diverting and show some honesty for a change.

I understand, honesty is hard when it comes to your beliefs.

This is why you remain a so-called "Christian".

Albuquerque, NM

#466900 Oct 4, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>2 Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
If you accept 2 Timothy, then you need to accept ALL scriptures, not just the canon. But yet you can't come to say this openly, because you have accepted only that which man has called scripture.

Where does "God" specifically state which texts are "of His inspiration" and which are not, in order for men to determine which is, in your words, "true scriptures".

Please stop parroting and believing men

When are yougoing to start believing "God" over men?

Albuquerque, NM

#466902 Oct 4, 2013
duststorm wrote:
Correct - all texts - not jsut the canon.

Why don't you believe Jesus and would rather follow what men want you to believe?
duststorm

League City, TX

#466903 Oct 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Why don't you believe Jesus and would rather follow what men want you to believe?
I believe that Jesus died for my sins and rose again the third day, according to the scriptures.
It's great to have the promise from God. Wish you were going to fly away with us.

Albuquerque, NM

#466906 Oct 4, 2013

duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that Jesus died for my sins and rose again the third day, according to the scriptures.
It's great to have the promise from God. Wish you were going to fly away with us.
Still choosing not to answer my original question of:

Where does "God" specifically state which texts are "of His inspiration" an which texts he declars not?

"I believe that Jesus died for my sins and rose again the third day, according to the scriptures"
- no he didn't die for yours or anyone's sins, as "sin" is still present in this world. You are believing a ruse.
- no Jesus didn't rise again on the 3rd day, unless it was in Spiritual form or he wasn't dead at all.

FYI - many people have "died" and came back to life well after their death, but you don't believe those individuals did so for your sins. Why not?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story...
http://calvininjax.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/m...

Well?

You are a fraud.

I understand why you like to divert, as it affects your belief to the core.

You'd rather believe lies than believe Jesus and his teachings.

Albuquerque, NM

#466907 Oct 4, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
Wish you were going to fly away with us.
No need - I'll be standing tall along Jesus when you get there to welcome you.

Please be sure to kneel.

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#466908 Oct 4, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
God smote all the men of Sodom with blindness as they attempted to beat on Lot's door and break in and commit abomination with the two male messengers. They were not blind from birth.
The abomination (the worship of foreign Gods) was committed long before the angels got there.

A wise man looks to multiple sources for his information. Jewish folklore talks about Sodom and the problems that it had. That cry to God? Described as a woman who had been covered in honey and hung from the city wall so that wild bees would devour her as punishment for her crime. The "crime" that she committed? She fed a traveler that had been beaten and robbed by the citizens of Sodom. After he was beaten and robbed, the townsfolk refused to feed him, refused to provide a court of law for him to accuse his attackers (c.f. Genesis 9:6).

While this IS just the folklore explanation, it DOES fit with what is written in Ezekiel...

Ezekiel 16:49 Behold, this was the iniquity of thy sister Sodom, pride, fulness of bread, and abundance of idleness was in her and in her daughters, neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy.
16:50 And they were haughty, and committed abomination before me: therefore I took them away as I saw good.

#466909 Oct 4, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
With this post you have committed the unpardonable sin.
The only sin is in DENYING that Jesus was a false god.

Since: Oct 13

Location hidden

#466910 Oct 4, 2013
There is a simplicity to these ideas: we are all headed to a 6 foot hole in the ground. So, that given, and the idea that a louse like myself just might find something better, I can: 1) HOPE that He just isn't there; or 2)TRUST that HE will be. The later idea is positive, and since I cannot prove anyway whether HE exists or not, so I will go with that. That is my logic, basically.

#466911 Oct 4, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
Then your beliefs are NOT based on the teachings of the Bible, since it clearly states that no one can atone for the sins of another. You have only the "promise" of a false prophet.

#466912 Oct 4, 2013
roseinthorn__ wrote:
There is a simplicity to these ideas: we are all headed to a 6 foot hole in the ground. So, that given, and the idea that a louse like myself just might find something better, I can: 1) HOPE that He just isn't there; or 2)TRUST that HE will be. The later idea is positive, and since I cannot prove anyway whether HE exists or not, so I will go with that. That is my logic, basically.
Yeah, Pascal's wager argument...

That only works IF you manage to guess the correct sky daddy to bow down before. Pick the wrong one, or worship incorrectly, and you're screwed.

Far better to just make sure that you live a good life, help opthers whenever you can, and leave the world a better place than when you got here. Any God worthy of worship will take that as good enough.
duststorm

League City, TX

#466913 Oct 4, 2013
<quoted text>
Still choosing not to answer my original question of:
Where does "God" specifically state which texts are "of His inspiration" an which texts he declars not?
"I believe that Jesus died for my sins and rose again the third day, according to the scriptures"
- no he didn't die for yours or anyone's sins, as "sin" is still present in this world. You are believing a ruse.
- no Jesus didn't rise again on the 3rd day, unless it was in Spiritual form or he wasn't dead at all.
FYI - many people have "died" and came back to life well after their death, but you don't believe those individuals did so for your sins. Why not?
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index...
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Story...
http://calvininjax.wordpress.com/2009/06/11/m...
Well?
You are a fraud.
I understand why you like to divert, as it affects your belief to the core.
You'd rather believe lies than believe Jesus and his teachings.
Did rigor mortis set in?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 6 min ashokS 573
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Darwins Stepchild 879,145
does indian women likes to have mmf 3some?? (Nov '14) 35 min sanjay 4
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 39 min Student 41,144
ye olde village pub (Jun '07) 46 min Ruby88 53,490
wonders on temple of solution (Jun '11) 1 hr Margret 49
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr June VanDerMark 603,253
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr who 272,884
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 3 hr dollarsbill 8,061
The Christian Atheist debate 4 hr Kaitlin the Wolf ... 3,849
More from around the web