Why I’m no longer a Christian
Gut Smasher

Smartt, TN

#466474 Sep 5, 2013
freedom rings wrote:
I was at a local bank cashing a donation check. An older man came into the bank and came up to one of two of the tellers and started reading to her from some preprinted bible verse cards. A car pulled up to the drive thru window so she excused herself to take care of the customer.
This man then tried to read them to me. I said "excuse me, but I am conducting business" and turned back to the teller.
this man then tried to read it to the teller who was counting back my cash.
I turned to him and said "excuse me, but the teller is trying to conduct business, could you please not read this while she is counting my money" I then turned back to the teller. This man got snippy with me and started accusing me of being a satan lover.
I explained to him that when tellers are working, it isn't polite to try and shove his beliefs down their throat, as accuracy is a big part of their business.
Then I said, "even IF I were a satan lover, I would have more sense than to try and shove my beliefs down someone's throat in a business setting" and if he didn't understand it wasn't a proper place for his bible thumping, that was his problem.
He left in a huff. The tellers smiled and thanked me. They said they have to listen to him because he is a local customer. He comes into the bank everyday and does this, the bank manager won't do anything about it, because he is afraid to offend him..........
so he lets this man offend customers........:(
Wow. It sounds like your life is an utter living hell. How DO you keep on? I would have given up by now! People talking next to me is also the reason i choose to show my ass in public.
Gut Smasher

Smartt, TN

#466475 Sep 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>But you DO feel a need to force your own pro-bible propagandadown the throats of others.
You're srange.
You're sranger.
Chess Jurist

Columbus, OH

#466476 Sep 5, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
oh - so you're very wise and scholarly.....thanks for letting me know cuz it's not very apparent on it's own merit;)
It's not my scholarship we're talking about, fool.

It is the top-flight scholarship of Cumont, Beck, and Ulansey.

Try to follow along, eh?

Since: Jul 09

Location hidden

#466477 Sep 5, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>But you DO feel a need to force your own pro-bible propagandadown the throats of others.
You're srange.
assup is certainly a POE

If that poster is not a parody, then his posts are an indictment of his sanity, and an indictment of christian faith as no christian corrects the horrible mockery he makes of their morality.

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#466478 Sep 5, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
assup is certainly a POE
If that poster is not a parody, then his posts are an indictment of his sanity, and an indictment of christian faith as no christian corrects the horrible mockery he makes of their morality.
The best Poe can never be as insane as the radical religionist. Assup pales in comparison with the likes of Dusty, DrReality and other lunatics.

You just can't fake that kind of mental illness.

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#466479 Sep 6, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
Oh, I see. It is alright for you to accept texts and words from men, but for others, you can't seem to accept what they have to say.
Gotcha.
<quoted text>
Is that a...a....spark of honesty? I think it was.....*smiles*....
:o)
Dig a little deeper into that thought, and you will better understand my posts.
well thank you (i guess) for a tad of positivity for once!

i have NEVER insinuated that anyone MUST do or believe as i suggest, but i only express my right to my (right;) opinion like everyone else!:)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#466480 Sep 6, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
You're srange.
i feel the need to express myself by testifying of my Great Creator and Redeemer in a world largely bullied by antichrist/atheistic proponents.

y'all tried to elimante our FEARLESS LEADER through an unjust capitol punishment over 2,000 years ago, but in His wisdom He's proliferated Himself into a Body of Believers that you cannot silence.

i hope this is alright with you;)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#466481 Sep 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Laughing about others shows how serious of a religious person you are.
Do you always mock others for their beliefs?
You shouldn't, that shows pride, arrogance, and other qualities "God" probably doesn't approve of, according to your religion.
<quoted text>
So you are saying "God" has free will?
<quoted text>
The "literal Body of Christ on Earth"
- Interesting choice of words, let's break them down....
"literal" - the definition is the most appropriate:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/litera...
lit·er·al
[lit-er-uhl]
adjective
in accordance with, involving, or being the primary or strict meaning of the word or words; not figurative or metaphorical: the literal meaning of a word.
following the words of the original very closely and exactly: a literal translation of Goethe.
true to fact; not exaggerated; actual or factual: a literal description of conditions.
being actually such, without exaggeration or inaccuracy: the literal extermination of a city.
(of persons) tending to construe words in the strict sense or in an unimaginative way; matter-of-fact; prosaic.
- Nope that doesn't work, because of two reasons:
a. The body of Jesus has never been found,
b. and according to Christianity, Jesus "rose in bodily form".
- Thus, a "literal body of Christ on Earth" is actually a far stretch from reality and your religion.
<quoted text>
Ah yes - the Self aspect. Imagine that, everything seems to come to this point over and over again.
Sounds like you are a "heretic", just like me no longer a "Christian".
I'd like to see if you can do anything without Self. That would be a neat trick, and it can make you a "God-star".
You are quite deluded by an illusion of another man's making.
"God" probably doesn't approve of, according to your religion"

you feel free to serve your god (SELF) according to your religion (SELFISHNESS) and i'll serve MINE.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!;)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#466482 Sep 6, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
It's not my scholarship we're talking about, fool.
It is the top-flight scholarship of Cumont, Beck, and Ulansey.
Try to follow along, eh?
"top-flight" according to who; you and the equally smarmy devil?;)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#466483 Sep 6, 2013
karl44 wrote:
<quoted text>
assup is certainly a POE
i'll take this as a compliment, coming from someone who thinks that the genocide of certain people groups is appropriate 'moral' behavior for the survival of the fittest; aka brutal atheist's/antichrist's!

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#466484 Sep 6, 2013
BenAdam wrote:
<quoted text>
The best Poe can never be as insane as the radical religionist. Assup pales in comparison with the likes of Dusty, DrReality and other lunatics.
You just can't fake that kind of mental illness.
don't be stealing my persecution points!

i won't be satisfied until anticristers hate me 2nd only to Christ Himself!
Chess

Columbus, OH

#466485 Sep 6, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"top-flight" according to who; you and the equally smarmy devil?;)
The best of the best, fool.

Of Beck:

Beck's essays on Mithraism are lucid, elegant, original and persuasive. Gathering them into one volume will reinforce his reputation as an outstanding scholar in this field.
-- Stephen Wilson, Professor, Carleton University

Roger Beck's suggestive and influential contributions to the study of Mithraism are well known; in gathering them together he has added a number of important new studies that not only bring the earlier studies up to date but tie the whole together.
-- Peter Richardson, Professor Emeritus, University of Toronto

Roger Beck is a leading scholar in the field of Mithraic Studies. His publications have brought decisive progress in a complicated and often controversial realm of scholarship.
-- Walter Burkert, Emeritus Professor, University of Zurich

Professor Beck brings to this task a wealth of knowledge and experience. His work over the past 25 years or so on the Roman cult of Mithras has placed him internationally in the top rank of scholars of this ancient astral religion, and certainly the leading English-language guide.
-- Robert Hannah, Professor, University of Otago

Among historians of religions and classical or Iranian scholars Beck is recognized as the world authority on Mithraism.
-- Giovanni Casadio, Professor of the History of Religions, University of Salerno

Roger Beck has been one of the most significant and creative writers over the past 30 years not only specifically in Mithraism, but more broadly in the study of ancient 'paganisms'.
-- Simon Price, Oxford

Of Ulansey's work:

"Fascinating."
--Scientific American, vol. 265,#3 (September, 1991) pp. 188-90.

"Thrilling.... Bravo for Ulansey."
--Religious Studies Review, vol. 17,#1 (January, 1991) p. 66.

"Brilliant and fascinating... entirely convincing....The reviewer
had trouble in putting it down."
--The Ancient World, vol. 23,#1 (1992) pp. 112-13.

"Ulansey has produced an astounding book."
--Critical Review of Books in Religion, vol. 4 (1991) pp. 277-79.

"Erudite, well-written, and fascinating to read.... Extremely successful."
--Bulletin of the Harvard University Center for the Study of World Religions,
vol. 16,#2 (1989-90) pp. 90-92.

"Remarkable.... In comprehensiveness [Ulansey's] theory appears
to have no rival."
--Ancient Philosophy, vol. 12 (1992) p. 242- 44.

"Brilliant and fascinating."
--Latomus, vol. 55,#2 (April-June 1996) pp. 496-98.

"Convincing.... All fits together beautifully."
--Journal of Religion, vol. 72,#2 (April, 1992) pp. 301-302.

"Brilliant.... an absolutely spell-binding detective story of antique
lore."
--Gnosis,#20 (Summer, 1991) p. 76.

"A remarkable and enthralling book."
--Zeitschrift für Geschichtswissenschaft, vol. 48,#7 (2000) pp. 652-53.

Of Cumont:

He contributed to many standard encyclopedias, published voluminously [and] was a member of most of the European academies. In 1936 Franz Cumont was awarded the Francqui Prize on Human Sciences.

Entries taken from Beck's publisher, Ulansey's webpage, and Wiki's page on Cumont.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#466486 Sep 6, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
"God" probably doesn't approve of, according to your religion"
you feel free to serve your god (SELF) according to your religion (SELFISHNESS) and i'll serve MINE.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!;)
Sorry to disappoint you - but I'm not selfish.

In fact, I try to give all that I can to family, friends and others.

Making someone happy is sometimes the best step to take.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#466487 Sep 6, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
i feel the need to express myself by testifying of my Great Creator and Redeemer in a world largely bullied by antichrist/atheistic proponents.
y'all tried to elimante our FEARLESS LEADER through an unjust capitol punishment over 2,000 years ago, but in His wisdom He's proliferated Himself into a Body of Believers that you cannot silence.
i hope this is alright with you;)
Who asked you?
And your Great Whoozit is a myth.

You're being "bullied"? Tell the police when, where, and how. You can get a restraining order.

And I never tried to eliminate anyone, by any means, 2,000 years ago. Nor did anyone currntly on the planet.

Get a friggin' grip.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#466488 Sep 6, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
Ignore my last post. I forgot who I was addressing.
Poe.

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#466489 Sep 6, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
umm....excuse me, but i don't need you to force your anti-bible propoganda down my throat, regardless of the loose cannon bible quoter you experienced today or not!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH, SIR!
yet you sit on a non christian thread every weekday (stealing from your boss) shoving your beliefs down the throats of those who have politely said NO.

not to mention your unwanted perverted comments to women on this thread, myself included.

hypocrite much?!

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#466490 Sep 6, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
don't hate you. you're not that significant.

don't hate your god either. can't hate what doesn't exist.

do you hate the invisible pink unicorn?

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#466491 Sep 6, 2013
Chess wrote:
<quoted text>
The best of the best, fool.
Of Beck:
Beck's essays on Mithraism are lucid, elegant, original and persuasive. Gathering them into one volume will reinforce his reputation as an outstanding scholar in this field.
-- Stephen Wilson, Professor, Carleton University
Roger Beck's suggestive and influential contributions to the study of Mithraism are well known; in gathering them together he has added a number of important new studies that not only bring the earlier studies up to date but tie the whole together.
-- Peter Richardson, Professor Emeritus, University of Toronto
Roger Beck is a leading scholar in the field of Mithraic Studies. His publications have brought decisive progress in a complicated and often controversial realm of scholarship.
-- Walter Burkert, Emeritus Professor, University of Zurich
Professor Beck brings to this task a wealth of knowledge and experience. His work over the past 25 years or so on the Roman cult of Mithras has placed him internationally in the top rank of scholars of this ancient astral religion, and certainly the leading English-language guide.
-- Robert Hannah, Professor, University of Otago
Among historians of religions and classical or Iranian scholars Beck is recognized as the world authority on Mithraism.
-- Giovanni Casadio, Professor of the History of Religions, University of Salerno
Roger Beck has been one of the most significant and creative writers over the past 30 years not only specifically in Mithraism, but more broadly in the study of ancient 'paganisms'.
-- Simon Price, Oxford
Of Ulansey's work:
"Fascinating."
--Scientific American, vol. 265,#3 (September, 1991) pp. 188-90.
"Thrilling.... Bravo for Ulansey."
--Religious Studies Review, vol. 17,#1 (January, 1991) p. 66.
"Brilliant and fascinating... entirely convincing....The reviewer
had trouble in putting it down."
--The Ancient World, vol. 23,#1 (1992) pp. 112-13.
"Ulansey has produced an astounding book."
--Critical Review of Books in Religion, vol. 4 (1991) pp. 277-79.
"Erudite, well-written, and fascinating to read.... Extremely successful."
--Bulletin of the Harvard University Center for the Study of World Religions,
vol. 16,#2 (1989-90) pp. 90-92.
"Remarkable.... In comprehensiveness [Ulansey's] theory appears
to have no rival."
--Ancient Philosophy, vol. 12 (1992) p. 242- 44.
"Brilliant and fascinating."
--Latomus, vol. 55,#2 (April-June 1996) pp. 496-98.
"Convincing.... All fits together beautifully."
--Journal of Religion, vol. 72,#2 (April, 1992) pp. 301-302.
"Brilliant.... an absolutely spell-binding detective story of antique
lore."
--Gnosis,#20 (Summer, 1991) p. 76.
"A remarkable and enthralling book."
--Zeitschrift für Geschichtswissenschaft, vol. 48,#7 (2000) pp. 652-53.
Of Cumont:
He contributed to many standard encyclopedias, published voluminously [and] was a member of most of the European academies. In 1936 Franz Cumont was awarded the Francqui Prize on Human Sciences.
Entries taken from Beck's publisher, Ulansey's webpage, and Wiki's page on Cumont.
in all fairness, i haven't read them so i can't really comment but was just reacting based on your endorsement.

if, however, they include the historically accurate biographies/gospels of Christ and the acts of His apostles as 'mithraism' the same as other folk lore and fairy tales; i categorecally reject them as evil and bigoted satanists without any further need to know more about them:)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#466492 Sep 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Sorry to disappoint you - but I'm not selfish.
In fact, I try to give all that I can to family, friends and others.
Making someone happy is sometimes the best step to take.
living for any reason other than to allow God's Son to re-created in us, IS the very definition of selfishness in His eyes.....

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#466493 Sep 6, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Who asked you?
And your Great Whoozit is a myth.
You're being "bullied"? Tell the police when, where, and how. You can get a restraining order.
And I never tried to eliminate anyone, by any means, 2,000 years ago. Nor did anyone currntly on the planet.
Get a friggin' grip.
who the f-bomb asked YOU?!

if/when i want your antichrist opinion, i'll repectfully ask you for it:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Atheist Buster 48,976
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 6 min Rosesz 646,709
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 16 min onemale 281,271
Jesus and Muhammad were FRAUDS 26 min DebraE 22
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 1 hr WasteWater 2,083
Bring back thd human sexuality forum? 3 hr sno333 2
American Soldiers - Duty, Honor, Country (Jun '11) 3 hr USA-1 38,758
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 4 hr VIKING 971,730
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 hr Just Think 105,632
More from around the web