Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#455169 Mar 27, 2013
New Age Spiritual Leader wrote:
<quoted text>
Or.....
"It's a travesty of a mockery of a sham of a mockery of a travesty of two mockeries of a sham. "
- Groucho Marx
:o)
That works too.
Huh

Dunlap, TN

#455170 Mar 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
"Your", and I use that term loosely, probability analysis is nonsense.
First, cite your sources. Your source, either directly or indirectly, is a summary by David Reagan of chapter 2 of Peter Stoner's book, Science Speaks: Scientific Proof of the Accuracy of Prophecy and the Bible.
Interestingly enough, Stoner appears to have been a thief, too, having used the work, also without attribution, of George Davis in his book, Fulfilled Prophecies that Prove the Bible. Being a professor at a minor college, he *had* to know better.
Regardless, fulfilling prophesy works only if the events really happened and the prophesy is accurateely interpreted. With respect to the birth of Jesus in Bethlehem, it is a late addition to the gospel narrative designed to allow Jesus to be born in Bethlehem.
The first canonical gospel, Mark, is silent about that dubious story. Matthew's and Luke's authors added it decades later. As Raymond Brown notes with respect to Luke's account:
Minor difficulties [with Luke痴 narrative] are that there was no single census of the whole Roman Empire under Augustus, and that there is no evidence that the Roman censuses required one to go to one's place of ancestry (unless one had property there). More serious is Luke's connection between the reign of Herod the Great (1:5)[See also Matthew 2] and the census under Quirinius. Herod died in 4.B.C.; Quirinius became governor in Syria and conducted the first roman census in Judea in A.D. 6-7 - and notice it was a census of Judea not of Galilee as Luke assumes.[Also note in] Acts 5:37, Luke mistakenly mentions the revolt of Judas the Galilean (provoked by the census of Quirinius) after the revolt of Theudas which occurred in A.D. 44-46.
-- Raymond E. Brown, Christ in the Gospels of the Liturgical Year (Liturgical Press, 2008), p. 119, n. 2.
Brown was a Catholic priest and a professor at Union Theological Seminary. You can imagine non-believing scholars are even less gentle when it comes to that story. And even the earliest Christian commentators have struggled to make the claims in it fit historical reality.
But forget the historical problems for a moment, the notion that Augustus ordered the mass migration of a whole people for a census and that was follow by Herod's mass slaughter of those folks' toddlers but no historian -- only NT fiction writers -- noticed those events is beyond the pale.
Your other claims fare no better.
So what do you have when you got a false claim Jesus fulfilled prophesy and a claim that that falsity proves something statistically?
You have a high probability that lying (and in this case thieving) Christians were involved.
Translation: I got no rebuttal.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#455171 Mar 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
True.
When posts like Huh show up - referencing a "statistical universe", just makes me think of how fractals have played such a large part into those statistics.

;o)
Huh

Dunlap, TN

#455172 Mar 27, 2013
<quoted text>
When posts like Huh show up - referencing a "statistical universe", just makes me think of how fractals have played such a large part into those statistics.
;o)
Fcuk. Another Google physicist.
mac

Dunlap, TN

#455173 Mar 27, 2013
Brownian motion.

Yukkity-yuk!

Snort! LOL!

*doink*

“I Am No One Else”

Since: Apr 12

Seattle

#455174 Mar 27, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Fractals are a part of statistical models, well, more the result of them, but they are part of the models. Fractal formulas are now incorporated into pretty much every branch of science, chaos theory is not longer a theory either, it is now a mathematical system.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#455175 Mar 27, 2013
<quoted text>
;o)
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Fractals are a part of statistical models, well, more the result of them, but they are part of the models. Fractal formulas are now incorporated into pretty much every branch of science, chaos theory is not longer a theory either, it is now a mathematical system.
Please tell me that's not where I'm going wrong trying to balance my checkbook.

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#455176 Mar 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Use the Mandelbrot, it works best for that.:P

Albuquerque, NM

#455177 Mar 27, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Aaaww....I hurt your feelings?

Maybe if you start researching things on your own, you would have to eat crow.

Albuquerque, NM

#455178 Mar 27, 2013
**typo - should be:

"you wouldn't have to...."

My apologies.

Albuquerque, NM

#455179 Mar 27, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL

Brilliant!!

Very funny CJ!

Albuquerque, NM

#455180 Mar 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Fractals are FUN!!

And quite extraordinary in their designs and configurations.

I can see why people like to use them within designs that they create and produce.

http://www.bing.com/images/search...

Albuquerque, NM

#455181 Mar 27, 2013
and for the Kittie....

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#455182 Mar 27, 2013
<quoted text>
Fractals are FUN!!
And quite extraordinary in their designs and configurations.
I can see why people like to use them within designs that they create and produce.
When they first started plotting them, they didn't know what they were looking, ironically, until they used computers to do it. For the longest time they were considered just plain chaotic. But as people used them more in art, the scientific minds started seeing the patterns matching other aspects. One great example is the fern leaf, plotted in 3D, very detailed, using nothing but a fractal formula. That's sort of when everything clicked, that we can use our math to plot out .... everything.
babysan

United States

#455183 Mar 27, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
I am threatened by knowledge! It's not good for my childish suoerstition.

Please notice how I'm here all day, chiding people for posting. I am very confused!

Time to wash my beaver. Smells rotten, like my two brain cells!

“FAITH IN MANKIND”

Since: Mar 13

AT PEACE WITH NATURE

#455184 Mar 27, 2013
babysan wrote:
<quoted text>I am threatened by knowledge! It's not good for my childish suoerstition.
Please notice how I'm here all day, chiding people for posting. I am very confused!
Time to wash my beaver. Smells rotten, like my two brain cells!
The Green Beaver Company makes a wonderful lavender and rosemary soap that should make it smell better.

http://www.greenbeaver.com/catalogsearch/resu...

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#455185 Mar 27, 2013
Dissecting the Gish Gallop

Watch as the claim does not fit the evidence.
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>
6.The betrayal money will be used to purchase a potter's field (Zechariah 11:13).
Zechariah 11:13
"Then the LORD said to me,典hrow it to the potter迫the lordly price at which I was priced by them. So I took the thirty pieces of silver and threw them into the house of the LORD, to the potter"

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#455186 Mar 27, 2013
A topix moment of context:

Zechariah 11:14 (the following verse)

"Then I broke my second staff Union, annulling the brotherhood between Judah and Israel."
duststorm

League City, TX

#455187 Mar 27, 2013
KittenKoder wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny thing .. if either of those were present my doctor would be rather shocked, so would everyone who knows me, especially the Adam's apple. However many women have an Adam's apple, genetic ones, so you really just betrayed you don't know many people in real life.
You're a guy, aren't you?

“I Am No One Else”

Seattle

#455188 Mar 27, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>You're a guy, aren't you?
Nope.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No one should blaspheme Prophet Mohammad, peace... 5 min MUQ2 102
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 min River Tam 817,316
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 11 min Neelakaran 5,912
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 33 min Christina La Vey 578,721
Animal Cruelty That You Can Stop 55 min A Merican 2
avandia 2014 (Jan '14) 1 hr AlmostDied 283
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr onemale 270,001
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr Rosa_Winkel 609,761
Sims 4 Key Generator (Oct '13) 22 hr IWANNAPLAY 187
More from around the web