“What the Bleep? ”

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#452034 Mar 12, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul was gay.
Paul did say in 1 Corinthians 9:22-23:
"I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.”

So when he was around gay men....

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#452035 Mar 12, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
How to be an agnostic - Russell & Socrates debate
An extract from How To Be An Agnostic.
What is an agnostic?
Russell: An agnostic is a man who thinks that it is impossible to know the truth in the matters such as God and a future life with which the Christian religion and other religions are concerned. Or, if not for ever impossible, at any rate impossible at present.
Socrates: I too have never found anything but uncertainty in divine matters, but that is a bad reason for unbelief. The same could be said about most matters we enquire into. My agnostic is someone who is religiously minded, but who, unlike the believer who speaks of his gods with confidence, lives so as to explore the mystery and uncertainty of these things.
Are agnostics atheists?
Russell: No. An agnostic suspends judgement … At the same time, an agnostic may hold that the existence of God, though not impossible, is very improbable; he may even hold it so improbable that it is not worth considering in practice.
Socrates: No – but not because it is not worth considering in practice. I do find many of the things people say about gods unlikely, but examining someone’s god-talk, for or against, often exposes the assumptions they make not about God, but about who we humans are.
Since you deny ‘God’s law’, what authority do you accept as a guide to conduct?
Russell: An agnostic does not accept any ‘authority’ in the sense in which religious people do. He holds that a man should think out questions of conduct for himself.
Socrates: We should certainly try to think out questions of conduct for ourselves, or perhaps a better way of putting it is to say we should cultivate those virtues within us that allow us to flourish. And that does not exclude respecting a higher authority, the resources wise people have developed, the ways they’ve tried to live. Sometimes we must defer to authority, for we cannot decide everything afresh for ourselves.
Does an agnostic deny that man has a soul?
Russell: The question has no precise meaning unless we are given a definition of the word ‘soul’. I suppose what is meant is, roughly, something non-material which persists throughout a person’s life and even, for those who believe in immortality, throughout all future time. An agnostic is not likely to believe that a man has a soul.
Socrates: I do not understand this objection to the idea of a soul – though it is no doubt hard to pin down. My pupil Plato, and his pupil Aristotle, used to argue endlessly about it. But that only goes to show it’s worth talking about, for must we not take care of ourselves as souls – as persons with imaginations, purposes, desires? A beautiful soul is like an excellent wine: it’s hard to say why, but you know it when you taste it.
What is the meaning of life to the agnostic?
Russell: I feel inclined to answer by another question: what is the meaning of ‘the meaning of life’? I suppose what is intended is some general purpose. I do not think that life in general has any purpose. It just happened. But individual human beings have purposes, and there is nothing in agnosticism to cause them to abandon these purposes.
Socrates: When death hangs over your head, the meaning of life is not academic, believe me! What is important is not life itself but a life lived well. But even that takes us only so far. For myself, I have the blessing of a keen sensibility that strives to understand how we are ignorant. When we get that right, it paradoxically seems that we get lots of other things more right too.
Is faith in reason alone a dangerous creed?
Russell: No sensible man, however agnostic, has ‘faith in reason alone’.
Socrates: We can agree on that.
Good stuff.

On a lighter note: Have you ever visited the website Dead Philosophers in Heaven? It's always a hoot.

http://www.dead-philosophers.com/

“let's do this thang!”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#452036 Mar 12, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul was gay.
if he were all y'all would love him so since you don't, it proves he wasn't. now wilderide, that thar's your gay boy;)

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#452037 Mar 12, 2013
Anti-Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello, Annie! How ya' been?
Hey AC! Glad to see you back posting again.

I enjoyed reading your post the other day about your "back to school". I am thinking about doing the same. The program that I want to do however does not begin until this fall...but will soon need to make a decision.

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#452038 Mar 12, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Exactly what I meant by bloody. Angry Christians trying to slaughter the world as they destroy themselves from the inside.
It's gonna be great fun.
umm....i siad the "wrath of God". He told us as His children to step back from executing justice and to give place for His;)

“let's do this thang!”

Location hidden

#452039 Mar 12, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Authorized? How much do you know about the Councils of Nicea? Indeed, how much do you know about the history of the Bible at all?
Your faith in Bible propaganda is astounding.
if i wanted to know what a homosexual's perspective on the bible was, i'd go to a catholic priest or half of the lutheran clergy;)
Gut Stomper

Dunlap, TN

#452040 Mar 12, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
How to be an agnostic - Russell & Socrates debate
An extract from How To Be An Agnostic.
What is an agnostic?
Russell: An agnostic is a man who thinks that it is impossible to know the truth in the matters such as God and a future life with which the Christian religion and other religions are concerned. Or, if not for ever impossible, at any rate impossible at present.
Socrates: I too have never found anything but uncertainty in divine matters, but that is a bad reason for unbelief. The same could be said about most matters we enquire into. My agnostic is someone who is religiously minded, but who, unlike the believer who speaks of his gods with confidence, lives so as to explore the mystery and uncertainty of these things.
Are agnostics atheists?
Russell: No. An agnostic suspends judgement … At the same time, an agnostic may hold that the existence of God, though not impossible, is very improbable; he may even hold it so improbable that it is not worth considering in practice.
Socrates: No – but not because it is not worth considering in practice. I do find many of the things people say about gods unlikely, but examining someone’s god-talk, for or against, often exposes the assumptions they make not about God, but about who we humans are.
Since you deny ‘God’s law’, what authority do you accept as a guide to conduct?
Russell: An agnostic does not accept any ‘authority’ in the sense in which religious people do. He holds that a man should think out questions of conduct for himself.
Socrates: We should certainly try to think out questions of conduct for ourselves, or perhaps a better way of putting it is to say we should cultivate those virtues within us that allow us to flourish. And that does not exclude respecting a higher authority, the resources wise people have developed, the ways they’ve tried to live. Sometimes we must defer to authority, for we cannot decide everything afresh for ourselves.
Does an agnostic deny that man has a soul?
Russell: The question has no precise meaning unless we are given a definition of the word ‘soul’. I suppose what is meant is, roughly, something non-material which persists throughout a person’s life and even, for those who believe in immortality, throughout all future time. An agnostic is not likely to believe that a man has a soul.
Socrates: I do not understand this objection to the idea of a soul – though it is no doubt hard to pin down. My pupil Plato, and his pupil Aristotle, used to argue endlessly about it. But that only goes to show it’s worth talking about, for must we not take care of ourselves as souls – as persons with imaginations, purposes, desires? A beautiful soul is like an excellent wine: it’s hard to say why, but you know it when you taste it.
What is the meaning of life to the agnostic?
Russell: I feel inclined to answer by another question: what is the meaning of ‘the meaning of life’? I suppose what is intended is some general purpose. I do not think that life in general has any purpose. It just happened. But individual human beings have purposes, and there is nothing in agnosticism to cause them to abandon these purposes.
Socrates: When death hangs over your head, the meaning of life is not academic, believe me! What is important is not life itself but a life lived well. But even that takes us only so far. For myself, I have the blessing of a keen sensibility that strives to understand how we are ignorant. When we get that right, it paradoxically seems that we get lots of other things more right too.
Is faith in reason alone a dangerous creed?
Russell: No sensible man, however agnostic, has ‘faith in reason alone’.
Socrates: We can agree on that.
Scroll worthy!

“What the Bleep? ”

Location hidden

#452041 Mar 12, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>
Authorized? How much do you know about the Councils of Nicea? Indeed, how much do you know about the history of the Bible at all?
Your faith in Bible propaganda is astounding.
I can tell you haw much they know about bible history using a biblical metaphor; their knowledge about biblical history is the size of a (retarded) mustard seed. Matthew 13:31-32

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#452042 Mar 12, 2013
Anti-Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Paul did say in 1 Corinthians 9:22-23:
"I have become all things to all men, that I might by all means save some. Now this I do for the gospel's sake, that I may be partaker of it with you.”
So when he was around gay men....
Says it all right there huh?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#452043 Mar 12, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
if he were all y'all would love him so since you don't, it proves he wasn't. now wilderide, that thar's your gay boy;)
Pharisee men all got married. Paul didn't. Paul was a typical swishy compulsive type.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#452044 Mar 12, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
you couldn't think rationally to save your soul (literally) when it comes to a biblical conversation!
what do you suppose was a more affluent position for paul in his day; to identify with the learned jews or with the newly-forming, despised and persecuted gentile church???
You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Paul never identified himself with the learned Jews. That comes from the Acts of the Apostles, a work or early Christian fiction.

Someone saying they were a Benjamanite Pharisee claiming to represent Israel, a Hebrew among Hebrews, was not saying that they were an influencial Jewish leader of Second Temple Era Palestinian Judaism. The "influencial Jewish leadership" wouldn't have even recognized him as a real Jew. A Hebrew and a Jew weren't the same thing, silly Christian. Samaritans claimed to be Hebrews, but they weren't Jews.

You do know that a Jew would have been someone who claimed Yehud as their nationality, right? Someone from America is American. Someone from Spain is Spanish. Someone from France is French. Someone from Samaria was Samaritan. Someone from Yehud was a Yehudite, a Jew.

There was no persecuted gentile church during Paul's time, dingleberry. The persecuted gentile church is a myth created by later Christianity.
Gut Stomper

Dunlap, TN

#452045 Mar 12, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I enjoyed reading your post the other day about your "back to school". I am thinking about doing the same. The program that I want to do however does not begin until this fall...but will soon need to make a decision.
He's flunkie emeritus at Paris Junior College. He also blows.

“What the Bleep? ”

Location hidden

#452046 Mar 12, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
*blush* thanks
I would like to clarify the request, first, if you don't mind.
Are you a cannibal?
It's the internet, these kinds of questions are important.
Obviously you don't want to be invited to dinner, only to find you will be the main course...

“What the Bleep? ”

Location hidden

#452047 Mar 12, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I like it when you quote Paul...
I like it when you disappear. You should make that a major part of your act, clown.

PS
You still aren't funny...

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#452048 Mar 12, 2013
Gut Stomper wrote:
<quoted text>
Scroll worthy!
It used to big of words for ya did it?

That's okay...next time I will try to find something dumbed down a little.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#452049 Mar 12, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I believe all of the teaching of a great man like PAUL
Well golly gee, clownie, why would I care what you believe?

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#452050 Mar 12, 2013
babysan wrote:
<quoted text>
KittenKotex got there first. Try something else you think shocks us.
what kitten said..........she is Asexual.
this site might help you understand kitten
http://www.asexuality.org

high beam said she is androgynous

Definition of ANDROGYNOUS
1: having the characteristics or nature of both male and female
2a : neither specifically feminine nor masculine

try this site

http://www.androgynousgirls.com/

“What the Bleep? ”

Location hidden

#452051 Mar 12, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Go for it girl! You'll regret it if you don't. May I ask what you want to study?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min USA Born 584,184
News Blaming Israel for carnage (Jul '06) 16 min AN NFL FAN 121,654
..........."What's your name??.........." 27 min Senecus 14
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 34 min truth 611,851
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 38 min thertruth 9,322
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 1 hr Bongo 828,484
Doctor REALITY'S personal music favorites!!!!! 1 hr Doctor REALITY 6
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 4 hr Good-Evil 3,451
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 14 hr karvinman 176,528
More from around the web