Why I’m no longer a Christian

“How You Treat Me”

Since: May 10

Determines How I Treat You

#451233 Mar 9, 2013
Messanger wrote:
<quoted text>
Apostates will only appreciate these words..........for you..........SWALLOW
I *love* it when you talk like a christian!! Thanks for proving my point for me--AGAIN!!

"I don't give a god damn!" you christians say. "I can do whatever I want, I'm forgiven, I HAVE JESUS IN ME!!"

LMAO@U!!

“IMAGINE no religion!”

Since: Feb 09

usa

#451234 Mar 9, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
That's not a pretty picture in my head... Lol, no sleep for me, I'm picturing a rotund man with antlers and man boobs , behind a cart containing bowls of white goo, with an oldish dude wearing socks and sandals suckling. Thanks Bro :-)
the ugliness of a christurd for all too see.

“IMAGINE no religion!”

usa

#451235 Mar 9, 2013
Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it have anything to do with chess or is it just Jesus Christ jumbled? Why do you non-believers have such an obsession with Christ that you must go as far as to wear Him like a badge of honor? Or maybe dishonor?
why do christurds crash a party where they are most certainly unwanted, then get their panties in a wad when their bad behavior and bad manners are pointed out???

is that what your jesus would do?

why do christurds scream about their rights, all the while stomping on the rights of others?

“IMAGINE no religion!”

usa

#451237 Mar 9, 2013
<quoted text>
You should lay off the mind altering devices and awaken to reality and what is to come.
you are a donkey, chiding another for what you think are long ears.
duststorm

League City, TX

#451239 Mar 10, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Wow, you know nothing about the history of your religion. The Born Again Movement is a direct descendent of the Jesus Freaks of the 1960s and 70s and was popularized by convicted Watergate felon Chuck Colson. Prior to that time, there was no such thing as a Born Again Christian.
Why don't Christians ever know anything about the nonsense that spew.
John 3
There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God....

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#451240 Mar 10, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>John 3
There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God....
"I owned the first radio in Springfield. Of course, all that was on in those days was Edison reciting the alphabet. "A," he'd say. Then "B." "C" would usually follow..." ~ Grampa Simpson

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#451241 Mar 10, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never heard of him and that's all I listen to is Christian rock...*snip*
<quoted text>
I have found through years of experience that people whose lives revolve solely around their christianity are really, really creepy.
Yes.

I find most of 'em mildly irritating - although I do try to be polite.

After all, the Qur'an enjoins us to be kind to the Afflicted of Allah.

Hehehe.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451242 Mar 10, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>John 3
This has been refuted a million times. Yes, that is the impetus for the Born Again movement, the cherry picking of John. No, it did not exist until the 1970s. What is wrong with you people?

The Borderland of Sol

#451243 Mar 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Copy and paste by yet another dishonest christian.
Didn't help, either: http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.asp...
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451244 Mar 10, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>John 3
Oh, and the basis for the whole thing is bogus, anyway.

The quotation from the Gospel of John has raised some questions about the meaning and authenticity of the phrase "born again". In the chapter, Nicodemus is puzzled and asks Jesus what he means by saying that "Ye must be born again". He questions: "How can a man re-enter his mother's womb?" Scholar Bart D. Ehrman says that this confusion is because in Greek (the language of the gospel) the word again is ambiguous. It might mean again or a second time or from above, which would explain Nicodemus' confusion. However, the Jews at Jesus' time were actually speaking Aramaic, in which language there would not have been a double meaning. Ehrman says that this raises questions about the authenticity of the dialogue, the meaning of the words, and, therefore, the use of the phrase.

A 19th century source notes that the phrase was not mentioned by the other Evangelists, nor by the Apostles except Peter. "It was not regarded by any of the Evangelists but John of sufficient importance to record." And, without John, "we should hardly have known that it was necessary for one to be born again." This suggests that "the text and context was meant to apply to Nicodemus particularly, and not to the world." Otherwise, it would have been mentioned more often.

http://etb-biblical-errancy.blogspot.com/2012...
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451245 Mar 10, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Didn't help, either: http://www.jpost.com/NationalNews/Article.asp...
Oy gevelt.

The Borderland of Sol

#451246 Mar 10, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Boom!
Hehehe.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451248 Mar 10, 2013
<quoted text>
Because I didn't use to listen to it until about a decade of two ago. Duh! You are a squirrel, and berserk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =K16fG1sDagUXX
HOW DIFFERENT ARE MOST “CONVERTED” PEOPLE?
Were it true that a converted man as such is of an entirely different kind from a natural man, there surely ought to be some distinctive radiance. But notoriously there is no such radiance. Converted men as a class are indistinguishable from normal men... By the very intensity of his fidelity to the paltry ideals with which an inferior intellect may inspire him, a saint can be even more objectionable and damnable than a superficial “carnal” man would be in the same situation.--William James, The Varieties of Religious Experience

That's you. Objectionable and damnable, the Topix Christian.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451249 Mar 10, 2013
<quoted text>
So you're a homophobe and still in the closet? Here's the key ...
One of Christianity’s chief offenses is not that it has enlisted the services of bad men, but that it has misdirected the energies of good ones. The kindly, the sensitive, the thoughtful, those who are striving to do their best under its influence, are troubled, and consequently often develop a more or less morbid frame of mind. The biographies of the best men in Christian history offer many melancholy examples of the extent to which they have falsely accused themselves of sins during their “unconverted” state, and the manner in which harmless actions are magnified into deadly offenses.--Chapman Cohen, Essays in Freethinking

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#451250 Mar 10, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and the basis for the whole thing is bogus, anyway.
The quotation from the Gospel of John has raised some questions about the meaning and authenticity of the phrase "born again". In the chapter, Nicodemus is puzzled and asks Jesus what he means by saying that "Ye must be born again". He questions: "How can a man re-enter his mother's womb?" Scholar Bart D. Ehrman says that this confusion is because in Greek (the language of the gospel) the word again is ambiguous. It might mean again or a second time or from above, which would explain Nicodemus' confusion. However, the Jews at Jesus' time were actually speaking Aramaic, in which language there would not have been a double meaning. Ehrman says that this raises questions about the authenticity of the dialogue, the meaning of the words, and, therefore, the use of the phrase.
A 19th century source notes that the phrase was not mentioned by the other Evangelists, nor by the Apostles except Peter. "It was not regarded by any of the Evangelists but John of sufficient importance to record." And, without John, "we should hardly have known that it was necessary for one to be born again." This suggests that "the text and context was meant to apply to Nicodemus particularly, and not to the world." Otherwise, it would have been mentioned more often.
http://etb-biblical-errancy.blogspot.com/2012...
Good stuff.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451251 Mar 10, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>You have a poisoned mind.
Your god is reduced to a simple prestidigitator, a ancient Penn Jilette.

We know that anyone who wants to go to God and the precincts of the Blessed is taking a needless detour if he thinks this means he has to soar into the upper levels of the air. Surely Jesus would not have taken such a superfluous journey, nor would God have made him take it. Thus, one would have to assume something like a divine accommodation to the world-picture people had back then, and say: In order to convince the disciples of Jesus' return to the higher world, even though in fact that world was by no means to be sought in the upper atmosphere, God nevertheless staged the spectacle of Jesus' elevation. But this would be turning God into a sleight-of-hand artist.- David Friedrich Strauss, Das Leben Jesu, 1837

The ascension story, as Luke tells it in the Book of Acts, assumes that Jesus rises in order to enter heaven's door in the sky to be enthroned at the right hand of God. But in a space age, rising from this earth into the sky does not result in achieving heaven. It might only result in achieving orbit. Luke did not comprehend the vastness of space. No one in his day did. He could not have imagined space travel. If Jesus ascended physically into the sky and rose as rapidly as the speed of light, he would not yet have reached the edges of our own galaxy.[And our galaxy is merely one of over 100 billion.]- John Shelby Spong, Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451252 Mar 10, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>You have a poisoned mind.
Millions of Muslims believe Mohammed "ascended into the sky" riding a horse.

Makes me wonder whether Mohammed caught up to Jesus and galloped past? Or, being the gracious prophet that he was, gave Jesus a lift?- E.T.B.

Columbus, OH

#451253 Mar 10, 2013
<quoted text>
**CHICK PUBLICATIONS???**
You--
HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!!
You quote from christian comics!!
COMICS!!
HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!!
I missed that.

The nut was actually citing a Chick Tract?

Whadda hoot.

Columbus, OH

#451254 Mar 10, 2013
Messanger wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a stupid ugly person who has no social life..........you scumb talk on this site with nothing to say, just excrement.........eat your own pellets.........constipated sht........take in some fibre and you will nave a more tender meal..........you are a sick lonely freak of nature with nothing to offer mankind.........You talk trash........that's what you are scab........
Angry Christian rant.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451255 Mar 10, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, you have just shown folks that you don't believe what the Bible actually says any more than I.
You're Satan's little helper today, aren't ya, skippy?
Have you ever read about suppositions of Jesus being a military leader who led a rebellion against the Romans and was executed for his troubles. This would mean that the "Kingdom of God" was just a hubristic name for another Jewish state at the time. This would make, "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one", much more sensical and relevant. It would lend a sarcastic air to,"Give to Ceaser what is Ceaser's", to get the Romans and their war money out of Palestine. Turning the other cheek would require an open-handed slap from the Roman, which then, under prevalent Roman custom, made them your equal. Also, "The extra mile" parable. A Roman soldier could command a civilian to carry their pack for one mile. To force another was illegal under Roman law.

Looking at it under that light and with the subsequent, alleged punishment, it makes sense. Much more sense than the legendary magician, who was performing the same magic acts as so many other messiahs and song and dance men of that age. Healing blindness with spit was a specious parlor game performed by many at the time. There were so many "Wonder-Working Jews" at the time, a time when superstition trumped just about everything. Look at Honi the Circle Drawer who could control the weather through prayer. Messiahs were a dime a dozen in the First Century CE.

http://www.menorah.org/motws15.html

They were as common as religion founders in upstate New York in the 18th Century, from which Joseph Smith sprung. They all promised redemption and deliverance.

Putting these terms together in a Google search is enlightening:

"kingdom of god" "messianic movements" "first century"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 19 min River Tam 853,018
Can a White Pride Group not be labeled a racist... (Apr '07) 24 min UnderstandPeople 6,081
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 51 min Toby 100,620
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 1 hr MUQ2 272,020
Computer THREATS DISAPPEARING from Topix!: un F... 1 hr who 17
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 2 hr Student 40,679
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 2 hr WasteWater 5,757
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 2 hr WasteWater 595,632
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 3 hr truth 612,577
The Christian Atheist debate 4 hr Kaitlin the Wolf ... 726
More from around the web