Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Boom!
Hehehe.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451248 Mar 10, 2013
Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I didn't use to listen to it until about a decade of two ago. Duh! You are a squirrel, and berserk.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =K16fG1sDagUXX
HOW DIFFERENT ARE MOST “CONVERTED” PEOPLE?
Were it true that a converted man as such is of an entirely different kind from a natural man, there surely ought to be some distinctive radiance. But notoriously there is no such radiance. Converted men as a class are indistinguishable from normal men... By the very intensity of his fidelity to the paltry ideals with which an inferior intellect may inspire him, a saint can be even more objectionable and damnable than a superficial “carnal” man would be in the same situation.--William James, The Varieties of Religious Experience

That's you. Objectionable and damnable, the Topix Christian.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451249 Mar 10, 2013
Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
So you're a homophobe and still in the closet? Here's the key ...
One of Christianity’s chief offenses is not that it has enlisted the services of bad men, but that it has misdirected the energies of good ones. The kindly, the sensitive, the thoughtful, those who are striving to do their best under its influence, are troubled, and consequently often develop a more or less morbid frame of mind. The biographies of the best men in Christian history offer many melancholy examples of the extent to which they have falsely accused themselves of sins during their “unconverted” state, and the manner in which harmless actions are magnified into deadly offenses.--Chapman Cohen, Essays in Freethinking

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#451250 Mar 10, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, and the basis for the whole thing is bogus, anyway.
The quotation from the Gospel of John has raised some questions about the meaning and authenticity of the phrase "born again". In the chapter, Nicodemus is puzzled and asks Jesus what he means by saying that "Ye must be born again". He questions: "How can a man re-enter his mother's womb?" Scholar Bart D. Ehrman says that this confusion is because in Greek (the language of the gospel) the word again is ambiguous. It might mean again or a second time or from above, which would explain Nicodemus' confusion. However, the Jews at Jesus' time were actually speaking Aramaic, in which language there would not have been a double meaning. Ehrman says that this raises questions about the authenticity of the dialogue, the meaning of the words, and, therefore, the use of the phrase.
A 19th century source notes that the phrase was not mentioned by the other Evangelists, nor by the Apostles except Peter. "It was not regarded by any of the Evangelists but John of sufficient importance to record." And, without John, "we should hardly have known that it was necessary for one to be born again." This suggests that "the text and context was meant to apply to Nicodemus particularly, and not to the world." Otherwise, it would have been mentioned more often.
http://etb-biblical-errancy.blogspot.com/2012...
Good stuff.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451251 Mar 10, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>You have a poisoned mind.
Your god is reduced to a simple prestidigitator, a ancient Penn Jilette.

We know that anyone who wants to go to God and the precincts of the Blessed is taking a needless detour if he thinks this means he has to soar into the upper levels of the air. Surely Jesus would not have taken such a superfluous journey, nor would God have made him take it. Thus, one would have to assume something like a divine accommodation to the world-picture people had back then, and say: In order to convince the disciples of Jesus' return to the higher world, even though in fact that world was by no means to be sought in the upper atmosphere, God nevertheless staged the spectacle of Jesus' elevation. But this would be turning God into a sleight-of-hand artist.- David Friedrich Strauss, Das Leben Jesu, 1837

The ascension story, as Luke tells it in the Book of Acts, assumes that Jesus rises in order to enter heaven's door in the sky to be enthroned at the right hand of God. But in a space age, rising from this earth into the sky does not result in achieving heaven. It might only result in achieving orbit. Luke did not comprehend the vastness of space. No one in his day did. He could not have imagined space travel. If Jesus ascended physically into the sky and rose as rapidly as the speed of light, he would not yet have reached the edges of our own galaxy.[And our galaxy is merely one of over 100 billion.]- John Shelby Spong, Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451252 Mar 10, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>You have a poisoned mind.
Millions of Muslims believe Mohammed "ascended into the sky" riding a horse.

Makes me wonder whether Mohammed caught up to Jesus and galloped past? Or, being the gracious prophet that he was, gave Jesus a lift?- E.T.B.

Columbus, OH

#451253 Mar 10, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
**CHICK PUBLICATIONS???**
You--
HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!!
You quote from christian comics!!
COMICS!!
HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!! HAAA HAAA HAAA!!
I missed that.

The nut was actually citing a Chick Tract?

Whadda hoot.

Columbus, OH

#451254 Mar 10, 2013
Messanger wrote:
<quoted text>
You are a stupid ugly person who has no social life..........you scumb talk on this site with nothing to say, just excrement.........eat your own pellets.........constipated sht........take in some fibre and you will nave a more tender meal..........you are a sick lonely freak of nature with nothing to offer mankind.........You talk trash........that's what you are scab........
Angry Christian rant.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451255 Mar 10, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again, you have just shown folks that you don't believe what the Bible actually says any more than I.
You're Satan's little helper today, aren't ya, skippy?
Have you ever read about suppositions of Jesus being a military leader who led a rebellion against the Romans and was executed for his troubles. This would mean that the "Kingdom of God" was just a hubristic name for another Jewish state at the time. This would make, "if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one", much more sensical and relevant. It would lend a sarcastic air to,"Give to Ceaser what is Ceaser's", to get the Romans and their war money out of Palestine. Turning the other cheek would require an open-handed slap from the Roman, which then, under prevalent Roman custom, made them your equal. Also, "The extra mile" parable. A Roman soldier could command a civilian to carry their pack for one mile. To force another was illegal under Roman law.

Looking at it under that light and with the subsequent, alleged punishment, it makes sense. Much more sense than the legendary magician, who was performing the same magic acts as so many other messiahs and song and dance men of that age. Healing blindness with spit was a specious parlor game performed by many at the time. There were so many "Wonder-Working Jews" at the time, a time when superstition trumped just about everything. Look at Honi the Circle Drawer who could control the weather through prayer. Messiahs were a dime a dozen in the First Century CE.

http://www.menorah.org/motws15.html

They were as common as religion founders in upstate New York in the 18th Century, from which Joseph Smith sprung. They all promised redemption and deliverance.

Putting these terms together in a Google search is enlightening:

"kingdom of god" "messianic movements" "first century"
Gut Stomper

United States

#451256 Mar 10, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
I reckon enough has been said.
I'm sorry that you didn't know that the Hebrew Bible was the Tanakh. I'll get you a link.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hebrew_Bible
Get me a link to some REAL Hebrews.
Seen enough wanna-be's... Like you.
Thanks. I'll wait.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451257 Mar 10, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Angry Christian rant.
On Topix, they usually are. Topix should actually be lauded for giving a "voice" to the afflicted, a platform where they can spew their maniacal rantings, their bile and vitriol, their delusions of godhood and Dick Tracyism, a place other than the public sphere, where they inevitably would hurt others.

Thank you, Topix.
Gut Stomper

United States

#451258 Mar 10, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
WTF are you babbling about ?
Have you read the Epic of Gilgamesh ?
So?
Someone tried to write down some half forgotten stories of their ancestors. Same ancestors.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451259 Mar 10, 2013
Gut Stomper wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. I'll wait.
Isn't it Pretend Piety and Gossip About Others Day at your local Bogus Bastille of Plodding Pretense? You'd better go get your nonsense battery recharged. You wouldn't want a rational thought to hit one of your brain cells. When the two start to fight it out, you know how ugly it gets.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451260 Mar 10, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I missed that.
The nut was actually citing a Chick Tract?
Whadda hoot.
Jack Chick the racist fool.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451261 Mar 10, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Good stuff.
Yet they will continually misuse the term and pretend it has import and even a history in their dogma.
Gut Stomper

United States

#451262 Mar 10, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
Good times from the wiki-link I just provided:
" The Hebrew Bible (also Hebrew Scriptures, Jewish Bible (Judaica Bible); Latin: Biblia Hebraica) is a term used by biblical scholars to refer to the Tanakh (Hebrew: &#1514;&#1504;" &#1498;), the canonical collection of Jewish texts, which is the common textual source of the several canonical editions of the Christian Old Testament."
LOL @ several canonical editions of the Christian Old Testament
"In terms of canon, Christian usage of "Old Testament" does not refer to a universally agreed upon set of books, but rather varies depending on denomination."
Fun stuff
And you all try to use it... As reference, as a rebuttal, as proof, as evidence... Everyday!

Hilarious stuff!
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451263 Mar 10, 2013
Gut Stomper wrote:
<quoted text> So?
Someone tried to write down some half forgotten stories of their ancestors. Same ancestors.
A perfect description of the Bible! Good show!
Gut Stomper

United States

#451264 Mar 10, 2013
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>Yep, that's what you're doing.
Blow it out your bugle, Satchmo!
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451265 Mar 10, 2013
Gut Stomper wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks. I'll wait.
Thank you, Topix, for giving angry, deceitful misanthropes like Gut Stompersan an outlet for their anger. You have done the American public a solid. I imagine their are countless public shootings you have prevented by allowing these emotionally-stunted Internet wonders an outlet for their pain that they obviously can not find in their local Bogus Bastille of Ponderous Pretense.
Huh

North Richland Hills, TX

#451266 Mar 10, 2013
Gut Stomper wrote:
<quoted text>
And you all try to use it... As reference, as a rebuttal, as proof, as evidence... Everyday!
Hilarious stuff!
The Bible refutes itself. Yes! Good show!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 5 min Just Think 654,247
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 6 min Gabriel 973,899
News Who is an atheist? (May '10) 7 min hpcaban 9,379
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 7 min here 64,232
Poll Is homosexuality a sin? (Oct '07) 8 min Toby 106,577
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 14 min ImFree2Choose 2,592
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 29 min onemale 281,918
More from around the web