Why I’m no longer a Christian

“The future begins”

Since: Jul 07

every moment

#449426 Mar 5, 2013
duststorm wrote:
Paul had a vow. It does not say "The Vow".
Are you going to bet your eternity in either heaven or hell on the fact that Paul shaved his head as a result of a vow?
There ya go - you just realized you contradicted yourself, didn't ya?

That's alright, the Bible will do ya that way.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#449429 Mar 5, 2013
Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ is the backbone of Christianity and the foundation....
The Christ is a myth, child.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#449431 Mar 5, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You may ride under any banner you choose.
Thanks X... oops I mean Chess, you are so kind :-)

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#449432 Mar 5, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide evidence of this.
OK!! have you ever told a lie? if you say yes then you admit you are a liar! If you say no I've never told a lie! that would also make you a liar...

CHECKMATE BY BRO. CLOWNIE!

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#449433 Mar 5, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course.
I'm usually right.
Of course, except when you're not and are too proud to admit it :-)

Columbus, OH

#449434 Mar 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Does it have anything to do with chess or is it just Jesus Christ jumbled? Why do you non-believers have such an obsession with Christ that you must go as far as to wear Him like a badge of honor? Or maybe dishonor?
Yes it does.

You missed the chessboard at 50% opacity, huh?

“The future begins”

every moment

#449435 Mar 5, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>I see nowhere in your post that:
Jesus saved me when I was __ years old.
I believed in Jesus for salvation at the age of ___.
When I was ___ of age, an evangelist spoke of the fire that is never quenched, and I believed.
I was fortunate that my parents were born again Christians, and they led me to the Lord when I was ___.
I was at church camp at age __, and I invited Jesus into my heart.
That's all waaaay back at the beginning of this thread - post #200 or thereabouts. Yes, I once truly believed in the salving power of the blood of Christ, poured out for myself and for many, that whosoever believeth in him yadayadayada.

When I was a child I believed in childish things, dontchaknow.

Then I actually read the book.....

Columbus, OH

#449436 Mar 5, 2013
Gut Stomper wrote:
<quoted text>
But, that's fine with you!
Gut Stomper wrote:
<quoted text>
But, that's fine with you!
'Tis.

But your comma faults 'tain't.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#449437 Mar 5, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>OK!! have you ever told a lie? if you say yes then you admit you are a liar! If you say no I've never told a lie! that would also make you a liar...

You are so wise. I learn much from you :-)

Columbus, OH

#449438 Mar 5, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks X... oops I mean Chess, you are so kind :-)
You may pretend I'm whomever you please.

But your fellow Christian was correct: I am not X.

Neither am I any other poster.

I am Chess, and I am good at it.

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#449439 Mar 5, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>You have a monkey on your back.
*checks mirror*
Nope.

“The future begins”

every moment

#449440 Mar 5, 2013
duststorm wrote:
<quoted text>Acts 24:14 But this I confess unto thee, that after the way which they call heresy, so worship I the God of my fathers, believing all things which are written in the law and in the prophets:
15 And have hope toward God, which they themselves also allow, that there shall be a resurrection of the dead, both of the just and unjust.
16 And herein do I exercise myself, to have always a conscience void to offence toward God, and toward men.
17 Now after many years I came to bring alms to my nation, and offerings.
18 Whereupon certain Jews from Asia found me purified in the temple, neither with multitude, nor with tumult.
Again, it seems in verse 16, that Paul wishes to be on common ground with his fellow Jews. It hasn't be that long since he was cast down on the Damascus road, blinded.
Jesus did not renounce the Jewish tradition. and leave the Jews bereft. He subsituted the Old Covenant, the blood of bulls and rams, with the New Covenant. He came to complete the law and the writings of the prophets. He observed Passover by being the Lamb sacrificed.
In my opinion, Paul was allowed, as a Pharisee of all Pharisees, to observe rituals, purifications, vows, feast days. When it comes to traditions by observant Jews, and Messianic Jews, such as the Passover celebrations, I give modern-day born-again Jews a wide berth. Far be it from me to tell them not to integrate certain High Holy Days with the grace of the New Testament.
I sure hope this does not create a contradiction such that you would miss heaven.
There is a Jewish Bible scholar, Arnold Fruchtenbaum, whom I would recommend.
Oh but if that were the only instance of Paul's waffling, you might have something.

How is that Paul reserved the most vile language for those "of the circumcision", yet he himself circumcised Timothy?

Paul not only played both sides of the fence - a sort of early Pascal's Wager, as it were - but bragged about the "virtue" of falsely representing himself, if being false would allow him "in the door" to preach his own personal gospel. In other words, the first of many Christian mountebanks down to this very day. God apparently depends upon falsehood, which brings us back to his lie to Adam and Eve.

Dontcha love how it connects up so nice and neat?

“Credulity is not a virtue”

Since: Apr 09

San Francisco

#449441 Mar 5, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you're speaking for Jesus, well, isn't that muito interessante...
No. Note the "I'm pretty sure" part.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

#449442 Mar 5, 2013
<quoted text>
Does it have anything to do with chess or is it just Jesus Christ jumbled? Why do you non-believers have such an obsession with Christ that you must go as far as to wear Him like a badge of honor? Or maybe dishonor?
Don't quote me but...this is my thought on that...

There are many in this country that would impose "Christ" on our daily lives by installing a government based on this "Christ". Many have used "Christ" to place a value on the lives of those who choose not to follow said "Christ". We live in a country where the actions of those that believe in this "Christ" affect us all.

IMO...when something is used to value or devalue human life...we should all be concerned. Should we not all be concerned about that which affects our lives?

I have no agenda to prove or disprove whether "Christ" exists or not. My only concern is how anyone's personal beliefs affects my life and the lives of others.

Look at it in reverse...

Many Christians come here to debate...why bother if you are so sure...

Fact of the matter is...religion/politics/sex...a re all interesting, thought provoking and is common to all of us.

For some...they see religion just as much a part of history as war is. It is an insight in to the philosophy of ancient people...and the sociology of how groups of people interacted thousands of years ago. All of this is a direct reflection on our thought processes even now.

I don't know...maybe we all just like being a bunch of smarta$$...on both aspects of this topic.

Columbus, OH

#449443 Mar 5, 2013
Illuminatrix wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course, except when you're not and are too proud to admit it :-)
Please find an example.

I'm sure the result will be the same as your empty claims about my lies.

“SPEBSQSA”

Since: Aug 08

Maryland

#449444 Mar 5, 2013
Uncle Miltie wrote:
Doing away with religion won't help ya much. You're still stuck in the same rut. Only now with less hope.
Any hope that was based on myth and fantisy and lies was never a valid hope in the first place.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#449445 Mar 5, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>You may pretend I'm whomever you please.

But your fellow Christian was correct: I am not X.

Neither am I any other poster.

I am Chess, and I am good at it.
I'm not pretending, you just wrote so much like him that for a sec I thought I was posting him. But feel free to accuse me of anything you like, I know you are good at it :-)

Columbus, OH

#449446 Mar 5, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>OK!! have you ever told a lie? if you say yes then you admit you are a liar! If you say no I've never told a lie! that would also make you a liar...
Please provide evidence of me lying.

I'll wait.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#449447 Mar 5, 2013
wilderide wrote:
<quoted text>No. Note the "I'm pretty sure" part.
Ok.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#449448 Mar 5, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>The Christ is a myth, child.
Pretty good myth for you to be so consumed by it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 3 min Into The Night 64,827
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Anthony MN 654,488
UNICORNS In the Bible 5 min Truthiness 11
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 14 min Gabriel 973,965
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 19 min Dr Banonator 45,307
Looking For Elegant Watches, Luxury Watches or ... (Feb '09) 31 min krisjohns 2
luxury replica watches (Mar '11) 32 min krisjohns 62
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 2 hr Pegasus 281,957
More from around the web