Why I’m no longer a Christian

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#443913 Feb 11, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
All 39,000 different kinds of "true" believers, each of which condemns and denies the other 38,999.
Hah.

Most of 'em think the guy in the next pew is probably a heretic.

Laffin.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#443914 Feb 11, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
So how would I verify these 'facts' that currently only seem like your interpretation?
Read your Bible, silly Christian.

Ain't you payin' attention?

*donk*

You are the one who gave your interpretation. I simply stated the facts, which you have been so graciously helping to verify. Were you even reading the passages of scripture that you quoted? The Antichrist is never mentioned in any of them. It's a conflation, a Christian interpretation never stated nor implied by any of the individual authors.

Would you like for me to restate the facts where you can investigate and verify?

The Antichrist is a Christian invention, he is not mentioned in the Biblical texts. One may "interpret" the texts however one likes, but it does not change what the texts say.

Would you like something with a little more authority than that of an anonymous character on the internet.

From L. Mike White, Professor of Classics and Christian Origins at the University of Texas at Austin
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...

"It often comes as a great surprise to people to discover that "the Antichrist" does not appear in the Book of Revelation at all. In fact, it's nowhere else in the Bible or in other apocalyptic literature except in a few passages in two of the Johannine Epistles. So the key questions are these: Where did it come from? And how does it come to be so central to the way the story of Revelation is interpreted in later centuries, all the way down to the present?"

Read...learn...but most importantly, never trust a preacher.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#443915 Feb 11, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>Read your Bible, silly Christian.

Ain't you payin' attention?

*donk*

You are the one who gave your interpretation. I simply stated the facts, which you have been so graciously helping to verify. Were you even reading the passages of scripture that you quoted? The Antichrist is never mentioned in any of them. It's a conflation, a Christian interpretation never stated nor implied by any of the individual authors.

Would you like for me to restate the facts where you can investigate and verify?

The Antichrist is a Christian invention, he is not mentioned in the Biblical texts. One may "interpret" the texts however one likes, but it does not change what the texts say.

Would you like something with a little more authority than that of an anonymous character on the internet.

From L. Mike White, Professor of Classics and Christian Origins at the University of Texas at Austin
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows...

"It often comes as a great surprise to people to discover that "the Antichrist" does not appear in the Book of Revelation at all. In fact, it's nowhere else in the Bible or in other apocalyptic literature except in a few passages in two of the Johannine Epistles. So the key questions are these: Where did it come from? And how does it come to be so central to the way the story of Revelation is interpreted in later centuries, all the way down to the present?"

Read...learn...but most importantly, never trust a preacher.
I don't trust preachers and have read the Bible, thanks for the link :)

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#443916 Feb 11, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
X, are you a Rabbi?
Incorrect answer.

The right answer was Marcion, the first Christian to close a canon.

I hope I'm not a Rabbi, since I'm not Jewish.

I am circumsized though, if that makes any difference.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#443917 Feb 11, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't trust preachers and have read the Bible, thanks for the link :)
My pleasure.

Christians really should understand the history of their religion, especially since it is being taught in reputable seminaries and universities across the globe.

White's article is a good'un. His books is pretty good too.

Location hidden

#443918 Feb 11, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>Incorrect answer.

The right answer was Marcion, the first Christian to close a canon.

I hope I'm not a Rabbi, since I'm not Jewish.

I am circumsized though, if that makes any difference.
I've read about Marcion.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#443919 Feb 11, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting use of language, there.
Only among fundies can "humble" mean "arrogant", and "sheep" mean "leader"...
Yup.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#443920 Feb 11, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Oh, so we're done with all that silliness.
Good.
No such luck.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#443921 Feb 12, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I've read about Marcion.
Big fan of Paul, Marcion was.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#443922 Feb 12, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it that *I'm* not having any fun with that?
I suspect that he's never learned to do it properly.

Location hidden

#443924 Feb 12, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Big fan of Paul, Marcion was.
Lol...yeah, I saw that. I don't understand a lot of all this history and backround information for the Bible you guys are always talking about. I might look into it a bit more, I hate not knowing stuff that maybe I should know. I've studied the Bible itself and thought the history doesn't really matter and decided to trust God. Now I'm very curious about it. I know the history of the religion so why not the Bible? I might see if I can find a good online course I can do. Cheers X and G :)

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#443925 Feb 12, 2013
btw wrote:
I miss your old avatar with the hat.<quoted text>
How have you been?
Chicks did dig the hat.

I've been great. Thanks for asking.

I hope life is peachy for you as well.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#443926 Feb 12, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Jinx you owe me a coke!
Yer right!...1 coke com'n up!

Location hidden

#443927 Feb 12, 2013
Janitor Of The LORD wrote:
<quoted text>
A brain fart? Old age is like that. Often.
No problema! I gotta da insida scoopa! Heresa da new popa.....

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-925761...

Location hidden

#443928 Feb 12, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> No problema! I gotta da insida scoopa! Heresa da new popa.....
http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-925761...
LMCAO!

Location hidden

#443929 Feb 12, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
The Churches are all in big trouble with God.
Not mine sis...I'm good ta go!

Location hidden

#443930 Feb 12, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> Not mine sis...I'm good ta go!
Awesome, can I join your church then? Is there an Australian branch?

Location hidden

#443931 Feb 12, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Awesome, can I join your church then? Is there an Australian branch?
Well, Nobody never wanted ta ever do that before... Ther ain't no branches atol...I reckon it's like a "charlie Brown" type tree...y'know?
See---the cathaholics been try'n ta kill us off fer like 2000 years or so now...it's still kinda dangerous...we kinda squat every time we hears "steak" coz it sounds like "stake"...but we'er gonna be the only ones ta escape...if we kin git the ship fired up...shoot it's been almost 5000 years since we test fired it...an the last time we burned the whole inside o' the big pyramid up...Aten was madder than hell too! So Marduk burried the dang thing! can't have no fun nohow!

Location hidden

#443932 Feb 12, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> Well, Nobody never wanted ta ever do that before... Ther ain't no branches atol...I reckon it's like a "charlie Brown" type tree...y'know?
See---the cathaholics been try'n ta kill us off fer like 2000 years or so now...it's still kinda dangerous...we kinda squat every time we hears "steak" coz it sounds like "stake"...but we'er gonna be the only ones ta escape...if we kin git the ship fired up...shoot it's been almost 5000 years since we test fired it...an the last time we burned the whole inside o' the big pyramid up...Aten was madder than hell too! So Marduk burried the dang thing! can't have no fun nohow!
Hmm...I really don't have a response for that, lol.

Location hidden

#443933 Feb 12, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Hmm...I really don't have a response for that, lol.
Hey! Its'a no problema. I gotta Father Guido onna oura sida too! He got's heavena all'a figgered out'a too! Jist'a listena ta thisa!...In'a his'a own'a wordsa!...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing (Mar '17) 1 min NotSoDivineMsM 59,082
MESSAGE to Adam Lanza IN HELL 10 min Charles Bronson 13
Fischbach army depot-NATO site 67 (Mar '07) 30 min John B 472
Enough is Enough. Jehovahs Witnesses is a incid... (Oct '15) 32 min Comeonnow 2
1z0-808 Real Exam Dumps 51 min jhoniliver 1
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 51 min Robert F 695,341
1z0-808 Dumps Questions 54 min addison 1
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 hr Feb 2018 994,022
More from around the web