Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for this Chess, just trying to get it all straight in my own mind.
LOL. Don't count on me.

I got nothing figured out.

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Claire Voyage wrote:
<quoted text>Preach on, Papa Peaches. Atheism doesn't have a core philosophy like religion or economics. There is nothing to be fundamental towards. While behavior can certainly be similar, without a unifying tenet like Christianity or laissez faire, there is nothing to be fundamental towards. Of course, you can parse words however you like.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/fundam...
strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles: the fundamentalism of the extreme conservatives.

When one says atheist, most understand that it is the idea of no god(s)that makes one an atheist in my opinion. This is where my confusion comes from. I in no way say that all atheists are fundies, simply the ones that refuse to respect the right of others to think/believe differently due to their own personal idea of what is.

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...I guess that you are off the trail with NS and I. We'll have a picnic...can you bring the potato salad? NS sometimes has trouble in the kitchen so she is bringing the paper goods!
LOL - my capabilities precede me I see ;O) I will bring all paper products and a mean plate of nachoís.(Also a few peanuts I have gathered along the way ĎchuckleÖ)

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Take a look at the root word...fundamental.
serving as, or being an essential part of, a foundation or basis; basic; underlying: fundamental principles; the fundamental structure.
of, pertaining to, or affecting the foundation or basis: a fundamental revision.
being an original or primary source: a fundamental idea.
noun
a basic principle, rule, law, or the like, that serves as the groundwork of a system; essential part: to master the fundamentals of a trade.
When we add the suffix "ism" or "ist" we most often think of it in religious terms.
Could it not just as easily mean...the practice of or the follower of the fundamental basics of an idea or philosophy?
Look at it this way...one might not be a jackass but if he acts like a jackass...chances are he will be called a jackass.
I don't think the lack of theistic belief is a philosophy. You may disagree, but once you step outside of what atheist means(which is the one thing atheists share in common), then you get into various flavors of what a person thinks for themselves.

The one commonality between atheists is that we don't have a belief in gods, we don't have a book we follow, we don't attend "atheist" services. Put one hundred atheists in a room. Among those hundred there will be a thousand other differences, just the one thing,*no god belief*, is the only similarity we share. Sure, we may enjoy football(not atheism), camping(not atheism), science(not atheism) etc...

We might agree or disagree about many things, none, essentially, that are connected to being atheist.

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that you are right when it comes to religious text but:
fun∑da∑men∑tal∑ism
noun
( sometimes initial capital letter ) a movement in American Protestantism that arose in the early part of the 20th century in reaction to modernism and that stresses the infallibility of the Bible not only in matters of faith and morals but also as a literal historical record, holding as essential to Christian faith belief in such doctrines as the creation of the world, the virgin birth, physical resurrection, atonement by the sacrificial death of Christ, and the Second Coming.
the beliefs held by those in this movement.
strict adherence to any set of basic ideas or principles: the fundamentalism of the extreme conservatives.
Itís the number three line that has me questioning. Is it just found offensive by some because the label is not wanted, or is it truly an inappropriate one that should not be used? I am not arguingÖ.just pondering.
I think an atheist would, by definition have to adhere to the one precept of atheism; No belief in deities, a disbelief.

So, in that narrow application I'd imagine you could say that is "fundamental" to being an atheist.

On the other hand, there isn't a "universal philosophy" that surrounds atheists or atheism.

It's often said that getting atheists to form an organization or group that is supposed to represent atheists in a uniform and all encompassing way is much like trying to herd cats.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>Careful...the noise is getting louder and louder...
Your monopoly (religion) is crumbling and it's easy to realize just watching/reading christians on this thread.
Lol! C'mon... This is topix. Too funny...

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
When one says atheist, most understand that it is the idea of no god(s)that makes one an atheist in my opinion. This is where my confusion comes from. I in no way say that all atheists are fundies, simply the ones that refuse to respect the right of others to think/believe differently due to their own personal idea of what is.
Now you're describing something a little bit different, no?

Everyone has principles, beliefs and other ideas that they are certainly entitled to hold, or not hold, and I won't disagree with that. I support that.

That doesn't remove those principles, beliefs or ideas from the arena of public discussion, nor does it preclude them from criticism or outright rejection and noting that, publicly.

You might disagree, that's fine, and expected, and if you agree, that's fine too, but not expected.

Not by me, anyway.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>Her point, and mine, was that buning human beings was not a Christian invention as Kate postulated. Now whydidn't you staighten Kate out but instead made a vendeta against JLu and myself ?

You are biased and sneaky, you start going to church or something ?.
Lol

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Said the angry clown.
Off your meds again? Where have you been? The Insane Asylum? Out on parole?

“The eye has it...”

Russell's Teapot

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
There are some that believe there is a core philosophy among atheists...
This speech was written and delivered decades ago...the thoughts and ideas behind it though IMO are still valid.
Excerpt from...
The Philosophy
of Atheism
by Joseph Lewis
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/lewis/lew...
I came to my conclusions after a full analysis and an impartial consideration of the various religious creeds and the different systems of philosophy. In my study of the different fields of thought, I found no philosophy that contained so many truths, and inspired one with so much courage, as Atheism. Atheism equips us to face life, with its multitude of trials and tribulations, better than any other code of living that I have yet been able to find. It is grounded in the very roots of life itself. Its foundation is based on Nature, without superfluities and false garments. No sham or shambles are attached to it.
Atheism rises above creeds, and puts Humanity upon one plane. There can be no "chosen people" in the Atheist philosophy. There are no bended knees in Atheism; no supplications, no prayers; no sacrificial redemptions; no "divine" revelations; no washing in the blood of the lamb; no crusades, no massacres, no holy wars; no heaven, no hell, no purgatory; no silly rewards and no vindictive punishments; no christs and no saviors; no devils, no ghosts, and no gods.
Atheism breaks down the barriers of nationalities and, like, "one touch of nature makes the whole world kin." Systems of religion make people clannish and bigoted.
Atheism is a vigorous and a courageous philosophy. It is not afraid to face the problems of life, and it is not afraid to confess that there are problems yet to be solved. It does not claim that it has solved all the questions of the universe, but it does claim that it has discovered the approach, and learned the method, of solving them.
It has dedicated itself to a passionate quest for the truth. It believes that truth for truth's sake is the highest ideal, and that virtue is its own reward.
It believes that love of humanity is a higher ideal than a love of God. We cannot help God, but we can help mankind. "Hands that help are better far than lips that pray." Praying to God is humiliating; worshipping God is degrading.
It believes with the great Robert G. Ingersoll, when he said, "Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
Atheism is a self-reliant philosophy. It makes one intellectually free. He is thrilled to enthusiasm by his mental emancipation and he faces the universe without fear of ghosts or gods. It teaches man that unless he devotes his energies and applies himself whole- heartedly to the task he wishes to achieve, the accomplishment will not be made. It warns him that any reliance upon prayers, or "divine" help, will prove a bitter disappointment.
To the philosophy of Atheism belongs the credit of robbing Death of its horror and its terror. It brought about the abolition of Hell.
That's a personal opinion, and I don't agree with his views on many things that he states.

Atheism, is just a lack of theistic belief in deities.

It's pretty simple.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Claire Voyage wrote:
<quoted text>Ah, the American South, insurrectionists, traitors, uneducated, bigoted, dimwitted, sponges and proud of it.
you're a bigot

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Replied the fool.
I'm busy now. Can I ignore you some other time? Hmmmmmmmm

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>Off your meds again? Where have you been? The Insane Asylum? Out on parole?
A fool's projection.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>I'm busy now. Can I ignore you some other time? Hmmmmmmmm
A fool's prattle.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think the lack of theistic belief is a philosophy. You may disagree, but once you step outside of what atheist means(which is the one thing atheists share in common), then you get into various flavors of what a person thinks for themselves.
The one commonality between atheists is that we don't have a belief in gods, we don't have a book we follow, we don't attend "atheist" services. Put one hundred atheists in a room. Among those hundred there will be a thousand other differences, just the one thing,*no god belief*, is the only similarity we share. Sure, we may enjoy football(not atheism), camping(not atheism), science(not atheism) etc...
We might agree or disagree about many things, none, essentially, that are connected to being atheist.
While atheist might not have building that they congregate in they do have their organizations. They tend to meet online vs in a building.

Here is one...notice that they also ask for donations.

http://atheistalliance.org/about-aai

Just as a reminder...I did not call them a religion.

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
A fool's prattle.
Calling you stupid would be an insult to stupid people. like X, G_O_D, Annie,

“YO BOO”

land of BOO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
A fool's projection.
you're dumb

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
I would take it a bit farther, those who go out of their way, even unto deceitful measures, to attack those who have different 'principles'.

“BE BRAVE ENOUGH ”

Since: Oct 09

TO STEP IN MUD PUDDLES

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

scaritual wrote:
<quoted text> That's a personal opinion, and I don't agree with his views on many things that he states.
Atheism, is just a lack of theistic belief in deities.
It's pretty simple.
Of course it is just one person's opinion...but isn't all beliefs or lack of beliefs...just an opinion? None of us have any proof...just a personal opinion.

It is when we try to pass our personal opinions off as "truth" that one becomes "fundamentalist"...a t least in my opinion.

Some will come here and declare they have "proof" that God exists...other will come and say they have "proof" that God doesn't exist...I think IMO that they are both behaving as fundamentalists.

The problems IMO don't lie with what one believes or doesn't believe...it lies in how those beliefs or lack of beliefs is used to control or condemn others.

Ya know...we don't have to agree on any of this...it is ALL just one's own opinion.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2013

Judged:

That article seems to be Atheist Fundamentalist.
It is the same arguement that many religions make.

Substitute atheism and insert 'Jesus' or 'Christianity' and you have the same "makes as perfect world" advertisement of theist.

Theist or theist, ther are good and bad, most don't even take 'god' beliefs (or lack there of) into more than passing thoughts.
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
There are some that believe there is a core philosophy among atheists...
This speech was written and delivered decades ago...the thoughts and ideas behind it though IMO are still valid.
Excerpt from...
The Philosophy
of Atheism
by Joseph Lewis
http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/lewis/lew...
I came to my conclusions after a full analysis and an impartial consideration of the various religious creeds and the different systems of philosophy. In my study of the different fields of thought, I found no philosophy that contained so many truths, and inspired one with so much courage, as Atheism. Atheism equips us to face life, with its multitude of trials and tribulations, better than any other code of living that I have yet been able to find. It is grounded in the very roots of life itself. Its foundation is based on Nature, without superfluities and false garments. No sham or shambles are attached to it.
Atheism rises above creeds, and puts Humanity upon one plane. There can be no "chosen people" in the Atheist philosophy. There are no bended knees in Atheism; no supplications, no prayers; no sacrificial redemptions; no "divine" revelations; no washing in the blood of the lamb; no crusades, no massacres, no holy wars; no heaven, no hell, no purgatory; no silly rewards and no vindictive punishments; no christs and no saviors; no devils, no ghosts, and no gods.
Atheism breaks down the barriers of nationalities and, like, "one touch of nature makes the whole world kin." Systems of religion make people clannish and bigoted.
Atheism is a vigorous and a courageous philosophy. It is not afraid to face the problems of life, and it is not afraid to confess that there are problems yet to be solved. It does not claim that it has solved all the questions of the universe, but it does claim that it has discovered the approach, and learned the method, of solving them.
It has dedicated itself to a passionate quest for the truth. It believes that truth for truth's sake is the highest ideal, and that virtue is its own reward.
It believes that love of humanity is a higher ideal than a love of God. We cannot help God, but we can help mankind. "Hands that help are better far than lips that pray." Praying to God is humiliating; worshipping God is degrading.
It believes with the great Robert G. Ingersoll, when he said, "Give me the storm and tempest of thought and action, rather than the dead calm of ignorance and faith. Banish me from Eden when you will, but first let me eat of the fruit of the tree of knowledge."
Atheism is a self-reliant philosophy. It makes one intellectually free. He is thrilled to enthusiasm by his mental emancipation and he faces the universe without fear of ghosts or gods. It teaches man that unless he devotes his energies and applies himself whole- heartedly to the task he wishes to achieve, the accomplishment will not be made. It warns him that any reliance upon prayers, or "divine" help, will prove a bitter disappointment.
To the philosophy of Atheism belongs the credit of robbing Death of its horror and its terror. It brought about the abolition of Hell.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

435 Users are viewing the Top Stories Forum right now

Search the Top Stories Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
The fear of dying a virgin 6 min andet1987 5
3 Word Game (Feb '12) 9 min andet1987 4,096
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 11 min RADEKT 256,402
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 12 min Patrick 224,033
SIGN of the end-times: the spread of homosexuality 13 min andet1987 26
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 17 min It aint necessarily so 720,275
God is REAL - Miracles Happen! (Jun '11) 23 min Aura Mytha 5,217
Which is the Oldest Indian Language? Sanskrit V... (Jul '08) 24 min Rama Naicker 4,544
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 36 min Liam 532,451
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 3 hr Clearwater 172,271
Game of Thrones Ebook Download Free [PDF] (Feb '13) 15 hr John 53
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••