Why I’m no longer a Christian

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#443282 Feb 9, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
I normally don't use the term "fundie" but for this post I will.
I consider the word "fundie" to describe a behavior and not a belief. IN MY OPINION there any of us at times can display the "fundie" behavior.
We don't call all Christians "fundies"...at least most of us don't. It is a term that is used mainly because of the behavior of some...each of us picking and choosing what the criteria is for the usage of the term "fundie".
Remember I said..IMO...
I use "Fundie" the same way.

It seems to annoy non-christians far more than it does Christians.

<smile>

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443283 Feb 9, 2013
AnnieJ wrote:
<quoted text>
Makes their toes curl up...
No...wait a minute...that might be sex that does that.
They yell "Oh! Fictional Character!" when they orgasm.

LOL

“Robert Stevens”

Since: Dec 08

Jersey City , NJ

#443284 Feb 9, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no Christ, Bob.
There likely was an historical Jesus.
But his story mostly is fiction, first memorialized in Mark and then copied in Matthew and Luke. John's relationship with the synoptic gospels is a little murky, yet it sure is as fictional.
But I believe the latest additions to John, the Pericope de Adultera and John's second ending originated in the unredacted version of longer Mark.
Don't hate me for knowing the truth, Bob.
Let's face it this tread is a few people posting that don't go out much. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of you are over 500 pounds. The fact you go on and on as you do is a billboard that you need a life. it could never be false because it is talked about too much. As legends will out life all of us, you guys are like dogs chasing your tails. If you played World of Warcraft you'd actually be moving up in a social chain. I find this stunning.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443285 Feb 9, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
That was my thinking. The person that I am having the discussion with is not one that I would consider in that light. I question if he is aware though, that they are out there. The post was very cut and dried in the aspect of one should not call/consider an atheist, a fundamentalist.
Ah! Black and White thinking. He might be a Fundie. LOL

Thinking of a "You might be a Fundie ..." comedy routine.

“You Can't Throw MeTo TheWolves”

Since: May 10

THEY COME WHEN I CALL

#443286 Feb 9, 2013
Sheik Yerbootie wrote:
<quoted text>In my country, you would be stoned for such talk. We have very good hashish.
Hashish...makes my eyes red just thinkin' about it....

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443287 Feb 9, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you use a "Flesh Light," or just your hand?
ROFLMAO

Best comeback this month !

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#443289 Feb 9, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Either do I, so stay out of my business as well, and don't ask me anymore misguided questions...Have a nice night...:)
If you put your beliefs out on Topix, they are up for scrutiny. No questions are 'misguided'. Only the answers are.

You have a nice evening also.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443290 Feb 9, 2013
"...regardless of whether they want to hear about Christ or not. America is not the world..."
Sounded to me like you were taking a shot.
I hope not. I hope she was trying to say that Christian extremism is more common in the USA (esp. Bible Belt) than in Australia.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#443291 Feb 9, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
It is for his family left behind, you moron.
I sometimes get the impression that this is the first time some of the people on Topix have ever interacted with other human beings.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443292 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>
I have never heard anything about Romans burning christians at the stake; NEVER. As far as I'm concerned, this is just another example of how christians try to write a history that shows how they've been persecuted while they themselves are the ones who were doing the persecuting.
It was the catholic church and the Spanish Inquisition that developed and fine-tuned the auto-da-fé.
I understand your position. I even agree with it.
Hosever, the case you brought up serves better to show that religion/superstion in general can lead to attrocities.

The Romans and other cultures comitted attrocities out of supperstions/beliefs (and just for entertainment) long before Paul had his seizure in Syria.

I guess my point is that I have no problem with anyone's beliefs until they affect others in a negative way. From spitting on a gay person to murder.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443293 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>
And I still say it is. Kicking in the doors of people's homes in the dead of night, dragging them out to the middle of the town square, tying them to a stake and piling wood around their feet and then setting it all on fire, the evidence has shown me, is a christian invention. I don't care if you think I'm biased.
I found that other post I mentioned; I don't know if you ever saw it on the other thread or not. Anyway, here's where my "bias" comes from:
Saturday, December 3, 2011
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TOCO8TE...
(edited for character count)
....edit for space....
The parents of that wounded“good christian,”...are filing suit against me in civil court for owning a vicious animal; their mommy’s precious little golden boy got bitten by a “dangerous” wolf-dog hybrid, and never mind the fact that the only reason why he had gotten bit was because he had BROKEN INTO *MY HOME* for the purpose of, as he and his friends called it,“doing the lord’s work” in “scaring the devil” out of me; they were trying to make it sound like it was just a harmless prank or something. The fact that one of them was carrying a firearm, the cops and the District Attorney have reasonable cause to believe that they intended to kill me.
As far as the civil suit against me goes, the DA says I got nothing to worry about.
I understand your anger and do not in any way intend to minimize it.

I think you are placing blame for the actions of a few people on a few million people, though.
Just like Christians blame all the Jews in the world for killing their Christ and NAZIs murdering 6 million innocent people because they were Jews.

I have been mugged by black people, beaten up and robbed by a Jew and raped by a homosexual.
I do not, however, hate blacks, Jews nor homosexuals.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443294 Feb 9, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's face it this tread is a few people posting that don't go out much. I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of you are over 500 pounds. The fact you go on and on as you do is a billboard that you need a life. it could never be false because it is talked about too much. As legends will out life all of us, you guys are like dogs chasing your tails. If you played World of Warcraft you'd actually be moving up in a social chain. I find this stunning.
ROFLMAO

Yet, here YOU are!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443295 Feb 9, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I sometimes get the impression that this is the first time some of the people on Topix have ever interacted with other human beings.
I think I know why. <smile>

“Are you a Problem or Solution?”

Since: Mar 09

Ann Arbor, MI

#443296 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>
And I still say it is. Kicking in the doors of people's homes in the dead of night, dragging them out to the middle of the town square, tying them to a stake and piling wood around their feet and then setting it all on fire, the evidence has shown me, is a christian invention. I don't care if you think I'm biased.

Cut for personal point, no disrespect intended full comment found here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TSHQAVD...

I think what G is trying to point out is that…..this is not exactly what the original discussion was about. It kind of morphed to the point it is now at. The burning of accused witches was not a Christian invention, no matter how much some of the faith may have eventually (and unfortunately) embraced it.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#443297 Feb 9, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
<quoted text>I sometimes get the impression that this is the first time some of the people on Topix have ever interacted with other human beings.
Well, sis...you humans is subject ta a lot o' them inhibition things y'know. Jist say'n...
I figger that kind'a infestation was the reason they wouldn't let a lot o' the "makers" back on board "paradise" when it left fer home.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#443299 Feb 9, 2013
Robert Stevens wrote:
<quoted text>
You're angry, Bob.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#443300 Feb 9, 2013
<quoted text>
Your god has no balls.
you don't either

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#443301 Feb 9, 2013
Im outta here

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's teapot

#443302 Feb 9, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I am talking about ;O)
I sorta figured so, and I think that the one thing that still stands out in my thought is this; A fundamentalist, as it applies within religion, is a pretty well established and understood term, and it means that they take religious text literally, there is little room for departure from what it says,. Like within the Abrahamic religions, 7 day creation means exactly that, Noah literally had a boat load of animals,the Exodus, etc...

As I think of it... I may qualify as a fundamentalist atheist, simply because I stick to what the term means, and that is no belief in deities. I don't frilly it up with I think it adds(for everyone) and so forth.

Maybe "zealot" is the "more correct" term to use for the type of atheist and theist you are referring to, because for myself, I don't use fundamentalist in terms of theism, except to refer to an actual Fundamentalist Christian. I don't use it derogatorily.

But thats me, do as you like and see fit. It's good with all nuances included.

If you get me.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#443303 Feb 9, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You're angry, Bob.
He's jist mad coz he got tazed...that's why he's stunned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min Charles 650,290
Washing machines are a waste of water and energy 11 min Green Guy 1
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 13 min ATHEOI 56,031
Why did God allow sin into His universe? 24 min WasteWater 19
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 35 min trifecta1 971,775
Play "end of the word" part 2 (Dec '15) 36 min andet1987 2,327
Jehovah's Witnesses are true disciple of Jesus ... (Mar '07) 46 min RiccardoFire 44,959
Moms having sex with their sons (Aug '12) 15 hr akon mason 70
More from around the web