#443301 Feb 9, 2013
Im outta here

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#443302 Feb 9, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
That is what I am talking about ;O)
I sorta figured so, and I think that the one thing that still stands out in my thought is this; A fundamentalist, as it applies within religion, is a pretty well established and understood term, and it means that they take religious text literally, there is little room for departure from what it says,. Like within the Abrahamic religions, 7 day creation means exactly that, Noah literally had a boat load of animals,the Exodus, etc...

As I think of it... I may qualify as a fundamentalist atheist, simply because I stick to what the term means, and that is no belief in deities. I don't frilly it up with I think it adds(for everyone) and so forth.

Maybe "zealot" is the "more correct" term to use for the type of atheist and theist you are referring to, because for myself, I don't use fundamentalist in terms of theism, except to refer to an actual Fundamentalist Christian. I don't use it derogatorily.

But thats me, do as you like and see fit. It's good with all nuances included.

If you get me.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#443303 Feb 9, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
You're angry, Bob.
He's jist mad coz he got tazed...that's why he's stunned.

“ Ah see's lanlubbers Cap'n BT!”

Since: Oct 10

Location hidden

#443304 Feb 9, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
Im outta here
If you insist...
Jist pull that little ring that says "CARGO DOOR RELEASE"===>CAUTION <===

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#443305 Feb 9, 2013
Black Thunder 42 wrote:
<quoted text> He's jist mad coz he got tazed...that's why he's stunned.
LOL.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#443306 Feb 9, 2013
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
Cut for personal point, no disrespect intended full comment found here:
http://www.topix.com/forum/topstories/TSHQAVD...
I think what G is trying to point out is that…..this is not exactly what the original discussion was about. It kind of morphed to the point it is now at. The burning of accused witches was not a Christian invention, no matter how much some of the faith may have eventually (and unfortunately) embraced it.
Has someone provided an earlier example of burning accused witches? I haven't seen one.

The example that I saw presented was Nero burning Christians, but there is no historical reference to them being burned for being witches.

Maybe I missed something.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#443307 Feb 9, 2013
Walking Dead marathon is running on AMC. Life in a post apocalyptic world.

I recently saw a lot of Walking Dead Weekly comics sell for about 200 bucks.

The end is surely near.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#443308 Feb 9, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope not. I hope she was trying to say that Christian extremism is more common in the USA (esp. Bible Belt) than in Australia.
I do love your ability to comprehend what you read :)

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#443309 Feb 9, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Has someone provided an earlier example of burning accused witches? I haven't seen one.
The example that I saw presented was Nero burning Christians, but there is no historical reference to them being burned for being witches.
Maybe I missed something.
Burned for religious beliefs. To some Romans the Christians were seen as cult of cannibalism and vampirism and necromancy....something most Christians would later attribute to "witches". Christians, along with Jews, were a common target for Romans who had little contention with the other multitudes of religions in the Empire.

Few of the "witches" burned by Christians were witches. Most were fellow Christians.

Heah, you missed a lot.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443310 Feb 9, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Has someone provided an earlier example of burning accused witches?.....
Also, if you scroll back, you will see that Kate stated that she had never heard of anyone except Christians burning anyone. Witches were not a requisite of her statement.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#443311 Feb 9, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Burned for religious beliefs. To some Romans the Christians were seen as cult of cannibalism and vampirism and necromancy....something most Christians would later attribute to "witches". Christians, along with Jews, were a common target for Romans who had little contention with the other multitudes of religions in the Empire.
Few of the "witches" burned by Christians were witches. Most were fellow Christians.
Heah, you missed a lot.
I'm pretty sure I provided 4 links on the subject but it doesn't matter, sometimes it's better to just let things go.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#443312 Feb 9, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Heah, you missed a lot.
So no historical examples prior to Christianity?

Interesting, but I do appreciate your opinion.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#443313 Feb 9, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, if you scroll back, you will see that Kate stated that she had never heard of anyone except Christians burning anyone. Witches were not a requisite of her statement.
Thanks again for your input.

If you do find a historical example of previous cultures burning accused witches please feel free to share.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#443314 Feb 9, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm pretty sure I provided 4 links on the subject but it doesn't matter, sometimes it's better to just let things go.
Could you provide those for us readers again, please?

Thanks.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#443315 Feb 9, 2013
NoStress, isn't this how you understood the premise?
NoStress4me wrote:
<quoted text>
The burning of accused witches was not a Christian invention, no matter how much some of the faith may have eventually (and unfortunately) embraced it.
So what we're looking for are pre-Christian examples of people being burned as accused witches.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443316 Feb 9, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
So no historical examples prior to Christianity?....
They were provided to address the issue in the context they were presented, not in the context you created ad hoc et ex post facto.

People were burned for religious beliefs prior to the Christian practice. Documented, quoted and cited.

You seem to be hung up on the ambiguous English word "Witch" and I am not about to fall into THAT ditch again.

Can I get you a white cane? LOL

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443317 Feb 9, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks again for your input.
If you do find a historical example of previous cultures burning accused witches please feel free to share.
Thanks for the demonstration of the Strawman Fallacy.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443318 Feb 9, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Could you provide those for us readers again, please?
Thanks.
Too lazy to scroll back a few pages or just being an ass ?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#443319 Feb 9, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
NoStress, isn't this how you understood the premise?
<quoted text>
So what we're looking for are pre-Christian examples of people being burned as accused witches.
Nope.

You are the only one who wasn't following the conversation.

Get some coffee next time.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Plurality of Americans think Trump is failing 2 min Trumpler 17,277
Black women White men Dating Site (May '14) 24 min lovekiki 13
Is Dwayne Johnson The Rock a real man ? (Aug '14) 1 hr unserve username 2
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 2 hr lil whispers 619,708
-----1-World 'MARK' Closer / POPE & U.N. ----- 2 hr News July 2017 1
ex wives of PTSD veterans (Mar '12) 3 hr Pbjmummy32 36
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 hr Robert F 683,926
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 7 hr Aerobatty 983,250
More from around the web