Comments
417,941 - 417,960 of 441,191 Comments Last updated 45 min ago

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#442735 Feb 8, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
You're assuming all believers haven't read it cover to cover? Do you also know everyone in the whole world?
Nope. I made no such assumption or claim.

“Hello Darlings!”

Since: May 10

Location hidden

#442736 Feb 8, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
JLu posted an excellent example from ancient Rome.
The ancient Celto-Germanics executed "criminals" and one of the methods was burning them alive.
In the (Pagan) Laws of the Salien Franks, The only two death sentences imposed were for using magic to harm or kill another person.
The ancient peoples used all kinds of horrendous methods of torture-killing people who were deemed threats. One of the percieved threats were those who didn't "believe" properly.
The Christians were just another pagan group following a long line of pagan persecution of other pagans. Nothing new.
Also note that during the "Burning Times" burning at the stake was usually reserved for "heretics" (IE: other Christians) while non-christians were usually unceremonially and quickly hung or beheaded.
Also note that the alleged "witches" were almost always fellow Christians. In Salem for example, the only non-christian executed was Tituba, a non-european slave.
I know about Salem. I got into an argument once with a wiccan who tried to lecture me about the witchburnings there. The actual number of witches burned in Salem was zero; they were all hung, except for the one poor male who was slowly crushed to death.

All because of a slave with a vivid imagination and a big mouth, and a bunch of lying little (or not so little) girls.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#442737 Feb 8, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
....Also note that during the "Burning Times" burning at the stake was usually reserved for "heretics" (IE: other Christians) while non-christians were usually unceremonially and quickly hung or beheaded.
I remember; but dead is still dead. And it was done with a religious zeal unmatched by any society .
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>Also note that the alleged "witches" were almost always fellow Christians...
Yup. Further proof that some christians are perfectly willing to eat their own, if there was a profit to be made.

The Borderland of Sol

#442738 Feb 8, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Also, that Census is 13 years old, is it possible the numbers have changed now? Burnings are Pagan in nature but thanks for the laughs. If you want to upset us evil Christians you might want to consider using facts as we are not all illiterate trolls dear.
"Possible"? Sure. It's also possible that I've hit the lottery.
Those data were the most recent I could dig up, in an admittedly cursory search. Do you have contradictory numbers?
(The fact that you don't like the ones I found doesn't count.)

"Burnings are Pagan in nature"? Sez who?

I have to give you props for your determination. You're determinedly wrong, mind, but still...

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#442739 Feb 8, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes Kaitlin, You are correct. I did a study, and even flew back to Salem, MA. to get first hand information regarding 'the Burning of Witches." It was awful, and very eerie being there. Because I have long dark hair, and dark brown eyes the spokeswoman/tour guide pointed right at me and said, they would have burned you at the stake. I never forgot that... Kaitlin, I'm not trying to push my faith on anyone. I do like to have a civil debate now and then. I can always learn something new...
I know, I understand.

Another thing that would have gotten you executed is what's called the stigmata diaboli; a "devil's mark" (I have a birth mark on my right ankle which would have gotten me killed) which was a mark on the skin that was supposedly unable to feel pain. Some of the church interrogators of Europe had these big bodkins, which were like giant needles used for punching holes in leather; they had a hollow handle and a spring-fed point which, when pressed against the skin, appeared to puncture the person without causing any damage or pain. This was how it was "proved" that these victims had been consorting with satan.

“Ungood doubleplus duckspeak.”

Since: Dec 12

Earth

#442740 Feb 8, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Presumably they do.
What's your point?
I seem to detect a hint of something unpleasant in the way you use the word "natives". It means "someone born there".
Although it is not yet known who set the woman on fire, I thought it relevant to the debate to ascertain Native Culture vs Western Culture, as they are different and westerners now and in that part of the world do not pay much attention to sorcery. I don't see why this would be unpleasant, there are many native tribes in PGN, all with their own traditions.
Indians used to burn sacrifices for Khali as well, interesting.
Christians committed many atrocious crimes in History but now, the time we live in, there are more getting killed throughout the world than doing the killing.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#442741 Feb 8, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Creating the fictional narrative
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>You might have half a point had this atrocity taken place somewhere in the sticks.
It didn't. It happened in the provincial capital of Mount Hagen, one of the largest cities in PNG, with a thriving tourist industry.One would expect the census to have been fairly accurate there.
And yes, sorcery was traditionally countered by more sorcery - not witch-burnings. That's Christian.
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
They did?
No wonder; same god of abraham.
Doesn't anyone ever sleep around here?

Earth

#442742 Feb 8, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>"Possible"? Sure. It's also possible that I've hit the lottery.
Those data were the most recent I could dig up, in an admittedly cursory search. Do you have contradictory numbers?
(The fact that you don't like the ones I found doesn't count.)
"Burnings are Pagan in nature"? Sez who?
I have to give you props for your determination. You're determinedly wrong, mind, but still...
I'm not that fussed about a census, just trying to help.'Sez who?' History is available to all.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#442743 Feb 8, 2013
<quoted text>
It's all a matter of belief--that's the driving force.
During the Burning Times, not only were innocent people burned alive, but so were their pets, their livestock, and sometimes even their children. The people who carried out these atrocities were absolutely, irrevocably convinced that they were doing "the Lord's" will, and if they were alive today there is no way in hell that you could convince them otherwise. They would probably burn you, too, and then praise jesus.
That is the insanity of christianity.
<quoted text>
Right. You can't refute what I'm saying because I'm telling the truth, so you go for the insult instead. Okay; I can play that game, too.
And I'm very good at it, so think twice before pursuing that line of action.
You do realize, don't you, that you just lost the argument?
<quoted text>
Speak? You mean, write? Yes, I do; evidently you don't.
<quoted text>
You say that because I have history on my side, and I can back up what I'm stating. If you don't like it, don't read my posts.
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know.*You* are pushing the issue, and I will push back.
<quoted text>
Fine by me.
<quoted text>
I'm not the one who's frustrated by my inability to convert someone to christianity.
I have good reason to be angry. A year ago last Thanksgiving I had three "true christians" vandalize my home, break into it looking for me, and one of them shot my dog. The original post was taken down by Topix moderators, but I was able to repost it because I had the sense to save it to hard drive. I can post it again, if you want.
<quoted text>
Don't flatter yourself.
<quoted text>
Don't blame me; I didn't twist your arm into it.
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Please back up what you are stating, rather than just discredit my most recent links with your words. Cheers <3
Those were all posted in response to Snevaeh legna, not you. And I stand by it. Well, not the hostile stuff.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#442744 Feb 8, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
What a topsy turvy world this topix is. Where Christians know more about witches than witches do....
If you christians had known more about us, you wouldn't have murdered so many of us.

Earth

#442745 Feb 8, 2013
<quoted text>
The UN's special rapporteur on violence against women, Rashida Manjoo, in March last year made a savage assessment of the treatment of women in PNG, saying sorcery allegations were usually used as a way of depriving women of land and property, while misfortune or death were used as a reason for the accusation.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/woman-burnt-for-s...
<end quoted text>

Hmm, still no mention of Christianity.

What Christians actually do in PGN;

http://www.maf.org.au/news

The Borderland of Sol

#442746 Feb 8, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Although it is not yet known who set the woman on fire, I thought it relevant to the debate to ascertain Native Culture vs Western Culture, as they are different and westerners now and in that part of the world do not pay much attention to sorcery. I don't see why this would be unpleasant, there are many native tribes in PGN, all with their own traditions.
Indians used to burn sacrifices for Khali as well, interesting.
Christians committed many atrocious crimes in History but now, the time we live in, there are more getting killed throughout the world than doing the killing.
Cite your source, please, for more Christians being killed (for being Christian)...

The Borderland of Sol

#442747 Feb 8, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Hehehe.
I'm at work, waiting to clock out so I can go to more work.
This post is totally reactive, so it doesn't matter what I do otherwise.

Earth

#442748 Feb 8, 2013
<quoted text>
If you christians had known more about us, you wouldn't have murdered so many of us.
I've never murdered anyone but seem to know more about the history of witches and history in general, but please, don't let pesky facts get in the way of your inventions and assumptions.

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#442749 Feb 8, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
I'm experimenting with mixing Italian roast coffee (coffee coffee coffee!!) with powdered hot cocoa mix in an effort to come up with my own inexpensive form of mocha or chocolate coffee or whatever it's called, but it doesn't taste all that great (at least mine doesn't) so maybe I'll try using instant coffee next time, I seem to recall it tasted pretty good but that was a long, long time ago, I can't remember what the damned stuff was called, was it Frappacino, shit I can't remember, but I've had a little too much of my home made, and it's late and I really shouldn't be here but after all that coffee I'm wired again, and I have to get up five hours from now so....

Damn, I never learn...

Earth

#442750 Feb 8, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>Cite your source, please, for more Christians being killed (for being Christian)...
Take your pick. Read world news every now and then...sheesh...you do know what year it is right?

http://www.google.com.au/search...

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#442751 Feb 8, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
I've never murdered anyone
I said "you christians," not you specifically.
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text> but seem to know more about the history of witches and history in general,
I am quite familiar with it; a couple (or maybe more) ancestors of mine were killed by the Church. I'm pretty sure I've told you that my family's tradition is eight generations old.
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text> but please, don't let pesky facts get in the way of your inventions and assumptions.
Inventions and assumptions??

Are you denying the witchburnings of Europe? Some FOUR HUNDRED YEARS WORTH AND OVER A HUNDRED THOUSAND PEOPLE AT THE HANDS OF CHRISTIANS?

If you want facts, OPEN A GODDAMNED HISTORY BOOK. Your precious jesus cult isn't nearly as pure and clean and innocent as you want to believe it is.

Earth

#442752 Feb 8, 2013
This is the stuff that comes up for killings committed by Christians since WW2;

http://www.google.com.au/search...

“Hello Darlings!”

Location hidden

#442753 Feb 8, 2013
Can't we talk about something less controversial? Like gun control? Abortion? Obama's true citizenship?

I can't remember if I mentioned this before, but since I can't sleep I'll go ahead and post it anyway:

You've all heard about Iran entering the space race, right? They're late starters. Anyway, they've shot a monkey or two into space, but nothing was said about the monkey surviving.

Their Fearless Leader--Mahmoud Ahmedinejad--has stated that *he* would like to be the first Iranian to be shot into space.

Two words: "Good idea."

I'll even kick in a couple hundred dollars, if it'll help to expidite his adventure. I'll pack him a lunch in his little "Knight Rider" lunch box, and I'll even stand back from the launching pad to wave "Bye bye, Mahmoud! Adios, good luck, and vaya con dios...pendejo!"

The Borderland of Sol

#442754 Feb 8, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
The UN's special rapporteur on violence against women, Rashida Manjoo, in March last year made a savage assessment of the treatment of women in PNG, saying sorcery allegations were usually used as a way of depriving women of land and property, while misfortune or death were used as a reason for the accusation.
Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/woman-burnt-for-s...
<end quoted text>
Hmm, still no mention of Christianity.
What Christians actually do in PGN;
http://www.maf.org.au/news
Hah.

And that's the exact demographic, and (along with sub-Saharan Africa) the exact geographic area in which Christianity and Islam are both claiming increasing numbers of converts.

I find that intriguing, don't you?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Intense Power Behind The New World Order...... 1 min Toshi Sanyo 18
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 1 min Peace_Warrior 600,006
Wake up, Black America!! (Sep '13) 2 min Johnny 2,451
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Buck Crick 733,197
Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 4 min USFemail XXXII 539,169
Good bye Michael Sam 7 min andet1987 4
Last Word + 2 11 min andet1987 538
Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 33 min Insults Are Easier 258,069
Atheism requires as much faith as religion? (Jul '09) 48 min Patrick 226,389
•••
Enter and win $5000

Top Stories People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••