Yeah--you.
That'd be more like "Look what the cat threw up! And on the good rug, too."

“ChristianityIs AMental Disease”

Since: May 10

And The Cure Is Education

#442690 Feb 7, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
Neither do they. If they want to burn a witch for jesus because they believe jesus said so, they'll do it. They might even come after someone like you next.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Some of it had to do with jealousy of beautiful women. Not just in the name of Jesus...
EXACTLY like five hundred years ago in Europe, and in Salem!! EXACTLY!!

"She's hot, and I'm not; she must be a WITCH!!"

"My cow gives sour milk, and hers doesn't; she must be a WITCH!!"

"Her crops are flourishing, and mine are all dying; she must be a WITCH!!"

"My husband left me and shacked up with *her*: she must be a WITCH!!"

And any kind of defense against such a charge was seen as absolute proof. The accused is arrested and convicted, and executed via immolation, the Church/State confiscated the property of the accused, and gave ten percent of it to the accuser for "serving the Lord."

And I'm betting that, to a certain extent, the same goddamn thing happened to that poor woman in New Guinea.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#442691 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
IMHO, I don't believe a 'true' Christian would burn anyone.
Paging a Scotsman...

“ChristianityIs AMental Disease”

Since: May 10

And The Cure Is Education

#442692 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
In all that you wrote, I'm truly sorry about your dog. That is really very sad. Believe it or not, I'm glad you were not injured as well, in the process... Had you been my neighbor, I would have tried to comfort you in some way. I know dogs can't be replaced, but I would have brought you a new one, when you were ready...
Marlowe survived; but in the long run, the guy who shot him didn't. He committed suicide in his jail cell.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#442693 Feb 7, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>As of the Census of 2000, 96% of PNG is Christian.
Oops

“"None shall pass"”

Since: Jul 11

There

#442694 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Are there any pre-Burning Times examples? I don't know of any. Are there any *other* religions that threaten non-believers and other "sinners" with burning--eternal or otherwise? I don't think there are any Buddhists or Mithraists who believe in it or practiced it.
JLu posted an excellent example from ancient Rome.

The ancient Celto-Germanics executed "criminals" and one of the methods was burning them alive.
In the (Pagan) Laws of the Salien Franks, The only two death sentences imposed were for using magic to harm or kill another person.

The ancient peoples used all kinds of horrendous methods of torture-killing people who were deemed threats. One of the percieved threats were those who didn't "believe" properly.

The Christians were just another pagan group following a long line of pagan persecution of other pagans. Nothing new.

Also note that during the "Burning Times" burning at the stake was usually reserved for "heretics" (IE: other Christians) while non-christians were usually unceremonially and quickly hung or beheaded.
Also note that the alleged "witches" were almost always fellow Christians. In Salem for example, the only non-christian executed was Tituba, a non-european slave.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#442695 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
It's all a matter of belief--that's the driving force.
During the Burning Times, not only were innocent people burned alive, but so were their pets, their livestock, and sometimes even their children. The people who carried out these atrocities were absolutely, irrevocably convinced that they were doing "the Lord's" will, and if they were alive today there is no way in hell that you could convince them otherwise. They would probably burn you, too, and then praise jesus.
That is the insanity of christianity.
Exactly!

“"None shall pass"”

There

#442696 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
.... Are there any *other* religions that threaten non-believers and other "sinners" with burning--....
Islam.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#442697 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Neither do they. If they want to burn a witch for jesus because they believe jesus said so, they'll do it. They might even come after someone like you next.
<quoted text>
EXACTLY like five hundred years ago in Europe, and in Salem!! EXACTLY!!
"She's hot, and I'm not; she must be a WITCH!!"
"My cow gives sour milk, and hers doesn't; she must be a WITCH!!"
"Her crops are flourishing, and mine are all dying; she must be a WITCH!!"
"My husband left me and shacked up with *her*: she must be a WITCH!!"
And any kind of defense against such a charge was seen as absolute proof. The accused is arrested and convicted, and executed via immolation, the Church/State confiscated the property of the accused, and gave ten percent of it to the accuser for "serving the Lord."
And I'm betting that, to a certain extent, the same goddamn thing happened to that poor woman in New Guinea.
Yes Kaitlin, You are correct. I did a study, and even flew back to Salem, MA. to get first hand information regarding 'the Burning of Witches." It was awful, and very eerie being there. Because I have long dark hair, and dark brown eyes the spokeswoman/tour guide pointed right at me and said, they would have burned you at the stake. I never forgot that... Kaitlin, I'm not trying to push my faith on anyone. I do like to have a civil debate now and then. I can always learn something new...

“"None shall pass"”

There

#442698 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Also, it is difficult to know what a "witch" was in ancinet Rome, since "witch" is an English word.
You are defeating your own arguement.

Just a bit of advice. Carry on.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#442699 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Pre-christian societies generally treated "magicians and sorcerers"--in other words, herbalists, midwives and healers--pretty decently, since their lives depended on them. It was in the early christian world where the torture and execution of accused "witches"--threats to the christian state--became popular.
Nope. The Salem Trials in particular are based on the same criteria as the stone age beliefs and laws of the tribes of highland New Guinea; the use of "spirits" to cause harm.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#442700 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Marlowe survived; but in the long run, the guy who shot him didn't. He committed suicide in his jail cell.
I'm glad Marlowe survived. I've had many dogs growing up, and loved them all. They are family.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#442701 Feb 7, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFLMAO
True. Hanging and beheading were the "true Christian" way.
<quoted text>
Yes, they were. Just ask them; they'll tell you. Think about it.
<quoted text>
No, they won't. Again, just ask them; they'll tell you.
Yup. They will say they were doing their God's will.

Charles Manson still thinks he was doing God's will as did David Koresh (who burned his own follwers to death) and Jim Jones who murdered his own followers, too.

Religion is a more dangerous thing than all the assault rifles in the world.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#442702 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
From that website:
"What is Suite101?"
"Suite101 is a new kind of knowledgebase centered on personal experience and passionate interest. We bring together people who thrive on sharing what they've been through, what they know, what they care about.
"More focused than a forum, more dynamic than an encyclopedia, Suite101 is all about weaving real experiences into knowledge. Here your interests determine the structure and every contribution is an opportunity to connect – a personal, guided entry point into any subject.
"Our goal is to help build a freer, more cooperative internet by creating an environment that encourages the exchange of ideas."
For all I know, this could be a religious website that doesn't want to admit it's a religious website.
That is well documented by Roman chroniclers. In fact, a few thousand christians were burned at the stake by Nero.

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#442703 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
From that website:
"What is Suite101?"
"Suite101 is a new kind of knowledgebase centered on personal experience and passionate interest. We bring together people who thrive on sharing what they've been through, what they know, what they care about.
"More focused than a forum, more dynamic than an encyclopedia, Suite101 is all about weaving real experiences into knowledge. Here your interests determine the structure and every contribution is an opportunity to connect – a personal, guided entry point into any subject.
"Our goal is to help build a freer, more cooperative internet by creating an environment that encourages the exchange of ideas."
For all I know, this could be a religious website that doesn't want to admit it's a religious website.
Righto Kate, whatever you say.
<quoted text>
The greatest penalty for witchcraft, one that quickly gained currency across Europe, was to be burned alive in a ritual or symbolic purgation by fire. The earliest references to this form of witch-execution come from the late Roman empire, and it is in the regions most affected by Roman culture that we find the oldest mentions of it in feudal times--in Italy, Spain, and France.
In France, a late recension of the Salic law ordered those who killed by incantations to be burned alive.[Lea, 408-9] The Visigoth kings began to burn witches after a long campaign by Spanish clerics to reintroduce the harsh imperial codes against pagans and "sorcery." Lea commented, "It is significant of the barbarian tenderness for human life, however, that the penalties were greatly less than those of the savage Roman edicts." [MTHW, 399]
<end quoted text>

http://www.suppressedhistories.net/secrethist...

http://www.ravengrimassi.net/Writings.htm

Before the english word 'witch' the words 'straga','strix','pharmakia' amongst others.

“"None shall pass"”

There

#442704 Feb 7, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you know that taste well I bet... pickle licker
<quoted text>
What was that episode of "South Park?" Where Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman were all on the floor of a living room licking the rug? Butters found them and asked what they were doing. I think it was Stan who said, "Our new teacher Ms Lesbo was called a 'carpet licker,' and we were wondering what was so great about licking a carpet."
That was hilarious!

I said it as a compliment, not an insult to you, BTW.

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#442705 Feb 7, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Oops
Oh, dear.

Am I being inconvenient again?

“"None shall pass"”

There

#442706 Feb 7, 2013
macumazahn wrote:
<quoted text>As of the Census of 2000, 96% of PNG is Christian.
Too bad that most of the population didn't participate in the census.

I wonder what the stats for NY state would be if we just did a census in NYC ?.... and wrote it in Hebrew.

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#442707 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a serious problem. First, it's when you open your mouth. Do you think before you speak? You are making a fool out of yourself. Even G_O_D_ told you to let it go...
If I ever chose not to be a christian, I sure wouldn't want your life style. It's an angry one.
I must really get to you... Now go sleep it off.
Posting with you wasted 3 minutes of my time, that I will not get back.
Go howl at something else.
She's right in her comment about 'beliefs' though, I mean, there is no way a Pagan will ever believe that a Pagan society ie. Rome, was where Christians got the idea to burn witches. Don't bother, actual facts never come into play here. Especially when it comes to bashing Christianity. Before Christianity came along there was no violence whatsoever in the world, right? Now that the world is working on eradicating Christianity and killing Christians, it's ever so much more peaceful right? Sure, sure.
<3

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#442708 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
It's all a matter of belief--that's the driving force.
During the Burning Times, not only were innocent people burned alive, but so were their pets, their livestock, and sometimes even their children. The people who carried out these atrocities were absolutely, irrevocably convinced that they were doing "the Lord's" will, and if they were alive today there is no way in hell that you could convince them otherwise. They would probably burn you, too, and then praise jesus.
That is the insanity of christianity.
<quoted text>
Right. You can't refute what I'm saying because I'm telling the truth, so you go for the insult instead. Okay; I can play that game, too.
And I'm very good at it, so think twice before pursuing that line of action.
You do realize, don't you, that you just lost the argument?
<quoted text>
Speak? You mean, write? Yes, I do; evidently you don't.
<quoted text>
You say that because I have history on my side, and I can back up what I'm stating. If you don't like it, don't read my posts.
<quoted text>
Yeah, I know.*You* are pushing the issue, and I will push back.
<quoted text>
Fine by me.
<quoted text>
I'm not the one who's frustrated by my inability to convert someone to christianity.
I have good reason to be angry. A year ago last Thanksgiving I had three "true christians" vandalize my home, break into it looking for me, and one of them shot my dog. The original post was taken down by Topix moderators, but I was able to repost it because I had the sense to save it to hard drive. I can post it again, if you want.
<quoted text>
Don't flatter yourself.
<quoted text>
Don't blame me; I didn't twist your arm into it.
Please back up what you are stating, rather than just discredit my most recent links with your words. Cheers <3

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 9 min New Age Spiritual... 626,780
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 10 min Aerobatty 949,927
The Christian Atheist debate (Jun '15) 19 min Mr Wiggley 14,043
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 29 min sciencealwayswins 17,728
What makes the best soda? Coke or Pepsi? 44 min dave 3
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 1 hr Lost In Transition 179,967
Who's the best fighter: Jackie Chan, Bruce Lee,... (Jan '08) 1 hr Billy twins 542
Poll Was 9/11 a conspiracy?? (Oct '07) 3 hr who 278,306
More from around the web