Why I’m no longer a Christian

“ChristianityIs AMental Disease”

Since: May 10

And The Cure Is Education

#442661 Feb 7, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
The ban on decapitation and head shrinking probably lead them to another alternative for "controlling/destroying the evil spirits".
Burning people alive is not a Christian invention.
Are there any pre-Burning Times examples? I don't know of any. Are there any *other* religions that threaten non-believers and other "sinners" with burning--eternal or otherwise? I don't think there are any Buddhists or Mithraists who believe in it or practiced it.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#442662 Feb 7, 2013
Kaitlin the Wolf Witch wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
To reiterate: If a "non-believer" burned someone at the stake for witchcraft, they wouldn't be a non-believer, would they?
Since burning witches was exclusively a christian practice, well.... Hey,*you* do the math.
<quoted text>
It depends on who's defining the "true" christian. I imagine there are a number of "true" christians on this thread alone who say *you* aren't a "true" christian.
I'm sure there are... Don't care...Lol

#442663 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
I think anyone who can burn a human/animal at the stake is not a 'true' Christian in their heart. Regardless of what they want to call themselves...
The road to Heaven is very narrow.'You' do the math...
It's all a matter of belief--that's the driving force.

During the Burning Times, not only were innocent people burned alive, but so were their pets, their livestock, and sometimes even their children. The people who carried out these atrocities were absolutely, irrevocably convinced that they were doing "the Lord's" will, and if they were alive today there is no way in hell that you could convince them otherwise. They would probably burn you, too, and then praise jesus.

That is the insanity of christianity.

#442664 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text> ...The road to Heaven is very narrow.'You' do the math...
Almost forgot: there isn't any "heaven." That's just your belief--like the people who believed that as christians they had to burn witches for their god.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#442665 Feb 7, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Playing make believe again? That's nothing new for you.
I seen you working at the carwash today!!! carrying that sign that said we do the best hand job in town... tips appreciated

#442666 Feb 7, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
Romans were burning witches long before Christianity existed.
http://suite101.com/article/roman-witches-a13...
From that website:

"What is Suite101?"

"Suite101 is a new kind of knowledgebase centered on personal experience and passionate interest. We bring together people who thrive on sharing what they've been through, what they know, what they care about.

"More focused than a forum, more dynamic than an encyclopedia, Suite101 is all about weaving real experiences into knowledge. Here your interests determine the structure and every contribution is an opportunity to connect – a personal, guided entry point into any subject.

"Our goal is to help build a freer, more cooperative internet by creating an environment that encourages the exchange of ideas."

For all I know, this could be a religious website that doesn't want to admit it's a religious website.

#442667 Feb 7, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
Romans were burning witches long before Christianity existed.
http://suite101.com/article/roman-witches-a13...
Also, it is difficult to know what a "witch" was in ancinet Rome, since "witch" is an English word.

“The eye has it...”

Since: May 09

Russell's Teapot

#442668 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
IMHO, I don't believe a 'true' Christian would burn anyone.
That's really convenient. Disingenuous, but handy don't you think?

Anything done that's a positive reflection upon Christianity, even if it's done by the most dastardly person, is considered a "real Christian", and is held up as an example of what Christianity can do.

If it's something awful or horrendous, but done by a shining example of what it means to be a Christian(he was a good deacon, a good Christian father, charitable etc...), then that person will be reviled and said to not be a "real Christian".

So it works out(in your mind), that only good things can be done by a Christian, and they are a "real Christian".

You drop all other Christians - "not real Christians" - off on the door step of someone else. You place the blame or responsibility or the image it presents and reflects - upon your religion - elsewhere.

If a person says they are a Christian, they are. That's my litmus, whether they present a positive or negative image, it doesn't matter.

They are a real Christian.

#442669 Feb 7, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
Also, age old practices of Native Tribes throughout the world have very little to do with Christianity.
Pre-christian societies generally treated "magicians and sorcerers"--in other words, herbalists, midwives and healers--pretty decently, since their lives depended on them. It was in the early christian world where the torture and execution of accused "witches"--threats to the christian state--became popular.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#442670 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
During the Burning Times, not only were innocent people burned alive, but so were their pets, their livestock, and sometimes even their children. The people who carried out these atrocities were absolutely, irrevocably convinced that they were doing "the Lord's" will, and if they were alive today there is no way in hell that you could convince them otherwise. They would probably burn you, too, and then praise jesus.
You have a serious problem. First, it's when you open your mouth. Do you think before you speak? You are making a fool out of yourself. Even G_O_D_ told you to let it go...

If I ever chose not to be a christian, I sure wouldn't want your life style. It's an angry one.

I must really get to you... Now go sleep it off.
Posting with you wasted 3 minutes of my time, that I will not get back.
Go howl at something else.

#442671 Feb 7, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFLMAO
True. Hanging and beheading were the "true Christian" way.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
It might have been the true Christian way in their own delusional minds, but they were 'not true' Christians in their hearts.
Yes, they were. Just ask them; they'll tell you. Think about it.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text> They will be judged for their actions.
No, they won't. Again, just ask them; they'll tell you.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#442672 Feb 7, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Anything done that's a positive reflection upon Christianity, even if it's done by the most dastardly person, is considered a "real Christian", and is held up as an example of what Christianity can do.
If it's something awful or horrendous, but done by a shining example of what it means to be a Christian(he was a good deacon, a good Christian father, charitable etc...), then that person will be reviled and said to not be a "real Christian".
So it works out(in your mind), that only good things can be done by a Christian, and they are a "real Christian".
You drop all other Christians - "not real Christians" - off on the door step of someone else. You place the blame or responsibility or the image it presents and reflects - upon your religion - elsewhere.
If a person says they are a Christian, they are. That's my litmus, whether they present a positive or negative image, it doesn't matter.
I disagree...

#442673 Feb 7, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you know that taste well I bet... pickle licker
I love it when you talk like jesus!

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#442674 Feb 7, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak to your stunted growth, but your BibleGod very much develops and changes through the course of the cannon.
But you're a fundie and likely do not know or understand your religion's scriptures.
The preceding is another in a long line of ignorant, lame brain posts by the brainless twit, the Chess Nut Jurist! The bozo intelligent thought forgot! Well, at least you're consistently stupid, and the leader when it comes to hot air, nonsense. It's common knowledge that ALL of the posters on topix have nothing but high praises for the T-Town Clown... And we all stick our tongues out at you and them lame posts of yours... U 2 DUMB

#442675 Feb 7, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you know that taste well I bet... pickle licker
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
Kate is probably more partial to carpets than pickles.
Dang! You even suck as aclown.
What was that episode of "South Park?" Where Stan, Kyle, Kenny and Cartman were all on the floor of a living room licking the rug? Butters found them and asked what they were doing. I think it was Stan who said, "Our new teacher Ms Lesbo was called a 'carpet licker,' and we were wondering what was so great about licking a carpet."

#442676 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sure there are... Don't care...Lol
Neither do they. If they want to burn a witch for jesus because they believe jesus said so, they'll do it. They might even come after someone like you next.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Location hidden

#442677 Feb 7, 2013
G_O_D wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFLMAO
True. Hanging and beheading were the "true Christian" way.
<quoted text>
Yes, they were. Just ask them; they'll tell you. Think about it.
<quoted text>
No, they won't. Again, just ask them; they'll tell you.
Saying it doesn't make it so...

“H-o-o-o-o-o-o-ld on thar!”

Since: Sep 08

The Borderland of Sol

#442678 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Christians at play:
Accused witch burned alive in Papua New Guinea
The Associated Press
Thursday, February 7, 2013 8:23 PM EST
PORT MORESBY, Papua New Guinea (AP)—Assailants stripped, tortured and bound a woman accused of witchcraft, then burned her alive in front of hundreds of witnesses in a Papua New Guinea town, police said Friday after one of the highest profile sorcery-related murders in this South Pacific island nation.
Some of the hundreds of bystanders took photographs of Wednesday's brutal slaying. Grisly pictures were published on the front pages of the country's biggest circulating newspapers, The National and Post-Courier. The prime minister, police and diplomats condemned the killing
Kepari Leniata, a 20-year-old who had a child, had been accused of sorcery by relatives of a 6-year-old boy who died in the hospital the day before, police spokesman Dominic Kakas said.
She was tortured with a hot iron rod, bound, doused in gasoline, then set alight on a pile of car tires and trash in the Western Highlands provincial capital of Mount Hagen, Kakas said.
"Investigations are continuing. We've got good leads. The husband is the prime suspect," Kakas said.
Sorcery has traditionally been countered by sorcery in Papuan New Guinean culture. But responses to sorcery allegations have become increasingly violent in recent years.
Kakas said the death was the first the sorcery-related murder in Papua New Guinea in a year.
Police Commissioner Tom Kulunga described the murder as "shocking and devilish."
"We are in the 21st century and this is totally unacceptable," Commissioner Kulunga said in a statement.
He suggested courts be established to deal with sorcery allegations, as an alternative to villagers dispensing justice.
Prime Minister Pete O'Neill said he had instructed police to use all available manpower to bring the killers to justice.
"It is reprehensible that women, the old and the weak in our society should be targeted for alleged sorcery or wrongs that they actually have nothing to do with," O'Neill said.
The U.S. Embassy in the national capital Port Moresby issued a statement calling for a sustained international partnership to enhance anti-gender-based violence laws throughout the Pacific.
The embassy of Australia, Papua New Guinea's colonial ruler until independence in 1975 and now its biggest foreign aid donor, said "We join ... all reasonable Papua New Guineans in looking forward to the perpetrators being brought to justice."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. <end of article>
I'd not have called it a "sorcery-related murder".

"Fundamentalist Christian murder", perhaps.

Same story with a pic: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/02/07/3222543...

#442679 Feb 7, 2013
<quoted text>
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
You have a serious problem. First, it's when you open your mouth.
Right. You can't refute what I'm saying because I'm telling the truth, so you go for the insult instead. Okay; I can play that game, too.

And I'm very good at it, so think twice before pursuing that line of action.

You do realize, don't you, that you just lost the argument?
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text> Do you think before you speak?
Speak? You mean, write? Yes, I do; evidently you don't.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>You are making a fool out of yourself.
You say that because I have history on my side, and I can back up what I'm stating. If you don't like it, don't read my posts.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>Even G_O_D_ told you to let it go...
Yeah, I know.*You* are pushing the issue, and I will push back.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>If I ever chose not to be a christian, I sure wouldn't want your life style.
Fine by me.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>It's an angry one.
I'm not the one who's frustrated by my inability to convert someone to christianity.

I have good reason to be angry. A year ago last Thanksgiving I had three "true christians" vandalize my home, break into it looking for me, and one of them shot my dog. The original post was taken down by Topix moderators, but I was able to repost it because I had the sense to save it to hard drive. I can post it again, if you want.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>I must really get to you...
Don't flatter yourself.
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text> ...Posting with you wasted 3 minutes of my time, that I will not get back....
Don't blame me; I didn't twist your arm into it.

#442680 Feb 7, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree...
Of course you do; you're a real christian.

So were the witch burners.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 3 min June VanDerMark 603,551
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 5 min Darwins Stepchild 880,653
The Christian Atheist debate 32 min Into The Night 4,048
I'm looking for a writer to write my true story (Nov '08) 39 min Survivor 234
Is Steve Harvey's 'Family Fued' racially biased?? (Oct '13) 1 hr South American Italy 11
Poll If you're Christain what kind are you? (Oct '07) 1 hr South American Italy 8,321
Rajkot gay Topix (Feb '15) 2 hr loganxxxx 238
Bush is a hero (Sep '07) 8 hr Lyndi 177,899
More from around the web