<quoted text>this just might be the dumbest posts ever
Don't be so hard on yourself.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#442568 Feb 7, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I can't speak to your stunted growth, but your BibleGod very much develops and changes through the course of the cannon.
But you're a fundie and likely do not know or understand your religion's scriptures.
*nods*

One of my favorite parts of Friedman's 'Who Wrote the Bible' was how he showed the god of mercy becoming the god of judgement.

Better'n any movie at a fraction of the cost.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#442569 Feb 7, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
*nods*
One of my favorite parts of Friedman's 'Who Wrote the Bible' was how he showed the god of mercy becoming the god of judgement.
Better'n any movie at a fraction of the cost.
I haven't read Friedman but find the mercy/judgment transition interesting.

But yup. Among other things, he goes from a sort of fallible superhuman to an all knowing, all powerful being over the course of the texts.

“What are you looking at?”

Since: Jan 08

Albuquerque, NM

#442572 Feb 7, 2013
T-Town Clown wrote:
<quoted text>you need Jesus Christ
Oh hi TT.

I do? Already have him in my library, unlike you "half-Christian".

When you have enough honesty to admit you believe in all of what Jesus taught, then open up that mouth of yours and not lie about it.

As of right now, you are a lying, misleading individual who seems to be so untruthful, that you can't even be honest with yourself, but praise men for what they have given you.

What are you afraid of?

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#442574 Feb 7, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I haven't read Friedman but find the mercy/judgment transition interesting.
But yup. Among other things, he goes from a sort of fallible superhuman to an all knowing, all powerful being over the course of the texts.
Here's an intro to the wrapup:

Excerpting from:“Who Wrote the Bible”– Richard Elliot Friedman, 1987, Summit Books, ISBN 0-671-63161-6

Begin quote

Chapter 14 – The World That the Bible Produced
-The Final Product -In the Image of God -Cosmic and Personal -Justice and Mercy -Synthesis -Whence and Whither

-The Final Product

Is the Bible more than the sum of its parts?

Of course.

The mixing of the different stories, laws, poems and points of view produced things that none of the authors dreamed of.

The author of E composed the story of Abraham’s near-sacrifice of his son Isaac, one of the most famous, intriguing, and troubling stories in the Bible. It is the story of Abraham’s being so committed to his God’s will that he is even prepared to sacrifice his son. Divine intervention stops him and saves Isaac’s life at the last instant.

The author of P, perhaps a hundred years later, composed the story of Abraham’s buying the cave of Machpelah. Abraham buys the cave as a family burial plot because his wife Sarah has died.

The redactor, about two hundred years later, placed the story of Sarah’s death and the purchase of the cave right after the story of the sacrifice of Isaac. The sacrifice of Isaac is in Genesis 22; the death of Sarah is in Genesis 23.

Interpreters ever since have suggested that perhaps the cause of Sarah’s death was that she saw her son being taken to be sacrificed, and she died of grief. That was not planned by the person who wrote E, nor by the person who wrote P. Even the redactor hay not have intended it. But it works. The mere juxtaposition of the two texts added another human element to the story. It added a new level psychologically. It opened up new possibilities of interpretation. It raised new questions and invited new answers.

There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of examples of such new elements and ideas being born out of the mixing of the sources—new twists in the stories, new psychological levels, and new possibilities for interpretation. We still have barely begun to appreciate the impact of the Bible’s extraordinary history on the way that the book came out.

Most remarkable of all, that history affected the Bible’s picture of the relationship between God and humankind.

End quote

Since: Dec 12

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#442575 Feb 7, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
yes- indoctrination/education IS your answer to everything! hitler agreed with you and that's why he started the hitler-youth education camps! i just heard on your news that the obama admistration unveiled a $200 billion plan to fund a pre-school 'education' program for ages 4-5! put your tots in there and let our compassionate mother government have at em!!!
Can you please quit mentioning Hitler??? Please? Pretty please? With chocolate fudge sauce and a cherry on top?

<3

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#442577 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
WN, Not every one wants to argue whether God exist's or not. You have used the word 'all', I am not all.:)
Hey sweets :) Water knows everything about everything and everyone everywhere. Just accept it, nod and smile. Bless <3

Yes, I'm an Atheist.

#442578 Feb 7, 2013
I heart Sheldon Cooper. My favourite BBT quote and so apt for topix;

Sheldon: Why are you crying?
Penny: Because I'm stupid!
Sheldon: That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad.

Since: Jul 08

Columbus, OH

#442580 Feb 7, 2013
Xcntrik InVidor wrote:
<quoted text>
Here's an intro to the wrapup:
Excerpting from:“Who Wrote the Bible”– Richard Elliot Friedman, 1987, Summit Books, ISBN 0-671-63161-6
Begin quote
Chapter 14 – The World That the Bible Produced
-The Final Product -In the Image of God -Cosmic and Personal -Justice and Mercy -Synthesis -Whence and Whither
-The Final Product
Is the Bible more than the sum of its parts?
Of course.
The mixing of the different stories, laws, poems and points of view produced things that none of the authors dreamed of.
The author of E composed the story of Abraham’s near-sacrifice of his son Isaac, one of the most famous, intriguing, and troubling stories in the Bible. It is the story of Abraham’s being so committed to his God’s will that he is even prepared to sacrifice his son. Divine intervention stops him and saves Isaac’s life at the last instant.
The author of P, perhaps a hundred years later, composed the story of Abraham’s buying the cave of Machpelah. Abraham buys the cave as a family burial plot because his wife Sarah has died.
The redactor, about two hundred years later, placed the story of Sarah’s death and the purchase of the cave right after the story of the sacrifice of Isaac. The sacrifice of Isaac is in Genesis 22; the death of Sarah is in Genesis 23.
Interpreters ever since have suggested that perhaps the cause of Sarah’s death was that she saw her son being taken to be sacrificed, and she died of grief. That was not planned by the person who wrote E, nor by the person who wrote P. Even the redactor hay not have intended it. But it works. The mere juxtaposition of the two texts added another human element to the story. It added a new level psychologically. It opened up new possibilities of interpretation. It raised new questions and invited new answers.
There are hundreds, perhaps thousands, of examples of such new elements and ideas being born out of the mixing of the sources—new twists in the stories, new psychological levels, and new possibilities for interpretation. We still have barely begun to appreciate the impact of the Bible’s extraordinary history on the way that the book came out.
Most remarkable of all, that history affected the Bible’s picture of the relationship between God and humankind.
End quote
I've always been intrigued with the possibility that the story of Isaac's sacrifice originally didn't end so happily ever after.

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#442582 Feb 7, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Atheists don't lie for Jesus, dummy.
atheist lie for free

“YO BOO”

Since: Sep 07

land of BOO

#442583 Feb 7, 2013
scaritual wrote:
<quoted text>Don't be so hard on yourself.
you're dumb

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#442584 Feb 7, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
I've always been intrigued with the possibility that the story of Isaac's sacrifice originally didn't end so happily ever after.
It has been suggested that in 'the original story':

1. It was Ishmael, Abraham's first born son. According to the text,'God' tells Abraham to sacrifice his "first born son".
2. Abraham actually sacrificed Ishmael, no divine intervention.

Obviously, Islam hates this interpretation.

“Love much, trust none”

Since: Jul 11

There

#442585 Feb 7, 2013
Gut Stomper wrote:
<quoted text>
I've got all his information. All. And still can't confirm his death officially.
Funny, huh?
STOMP CERTIFICATE!
Haven't you yet noticed that no one here gives a shit what you think ?

Holy Shit! You are dumber than Clownie.

“Live Love Laugh”

Since: Aug 07

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#442586 Feb 7, 2013
Mr Wiggley wrote:
<quoted text>
You've got mail...
Gottit, and thank you. I forwarded your message.
duststorm

League City, TX

#442587 Feb 7, 2013
water_nymph wrote:
For all of you who asked where you could make a donation for DoC, please e-mail or t-mail me and I'll give you the information. Since it has personal info, I will not post it here.
Where he gone, ain't no donations gonna hep him.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#442588 Feb 7, 2013
waaasssuuup wrote:
<quoted text>
the 'myth' is being proven true every day you're here to challenge it. c'mon, what is inspiring you to spend this kind of effort on something you believe to be so incredibly unmerited???
prove it's a myth by not letting it have anymore pursuasion over you;)
You nor any of your fundie buddies here have proven a darn thing. But you do your little victory dance as if you have solved all the problems of the universe.

You are the one who makes up stuff that the Bible doesn't say on a regular basis. You are the one who has said you are just like Jesus. Next thing we know, you'll have a colony in some remote area and there will be aerial photos of thousands of people who believed you and drank the Kool-Aid.

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#442589 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes WN, You can reciprocate with a Christian funny, if you like... May I ask how/or what you believe?
No, you may not. What I believe is personal. I don't throw it out here like a pimp trying to sell an aging hooker like most of the Christian extremists here do.

I don't need verification or validation for what I believe. Therefore, I have no need to convert anyone.

You have a nice night.

“ IT'S A CHOICE !!!”

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#442590 Feb 7, 2013
Juicylu wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey sweets :) Water knows everything about everything and everyone everywhere. Just accept it, nod and smile. Bless <3
...and your aware of this how?

“Live Love Laugh”

Rings of Saturn Emporium

#442591 Feb 7, 2013
Snevaeh legna wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes WN, You can reciprocate with a Christian funny, if you like... May I ask how/or what you believe?
By the way, that wasn't a 'Christian funny'. It was an honest question. But since you chose not to answer it and make it something else, I assume you haven't seen this version of God in whom you believe.

“xcntrik.wordpres s.com”

Location hidden

#442593 Feb 7, 2013
Chess Jurist wrote:
<quoted text>
Since the language changes at THE key point in the narrative, something happened, fo sho.

It's certainly possible that an older form of the story concluded with the successful sacrifice of Isaac. He is never mentioned again by the author of the E-source.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Prove there's a god. (Mar '08) 3 min Dave Nelson 865,698
The Christian Atheist debate 4 min Rowan 2,047
News Roman Catholic church only true church, says Va... (Jul '07) 8 min Regina 600,130
Why Should Jesus Love Me? (Feb '08) 11 min AntiqueAnnie 612,920
News Vermont towns vote to arrest Bush and Cheney (Mar '08) 12 min Mister Ed 1,166
Christianity is fading away... 52 min I am out 4
There is Everything Wrong with Abortion (Nov '07) 3 hr Grunt56 222,001
gay bottom in gurgaon (May '14) 10 hr cute94 465
Sleeping with mother (Oct '13) 20 hr andy 45
More from around the web